Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
this still makes me laugh 7 years later

pipes! posted:

lord funk posted:

gently caress you Proxima Nova lower case a. The rest of you is great, and you come along with your bubbly curled up loop and mess everything up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Whoever gets this wins a cookie.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Fartington Butts posted:

Whoever gets this wins a cookie.

I was just about to mention how I loved posts like this from when this thread started, but I equally appreciate the whole "what's this font?" aspect as well.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Is it not Trajan?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Does anyone know the name of the font the “Brady” is on this letter head or a font that’s similar to it?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Does anyone know the name of the font the Brady is on this letter head or a font thats similar to it?

That's hand drawn but fonts like Mostra Nuova are pretty close

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

What's a good font for imitating the old DOS-y, pixelated text on this?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

alnilam posted:

It's not very DOS-y because IBM PC character sets were (I think) all serif fonts, but maybe Here Lies MECC.

e: Nope, seems to be based on some other version probably.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 11, 2020

.random
May 7, 2007

alnilam posted:

You can find something close amongst https://int10h.org/oldschool-pc-fonts/fontlist/ like that sweet, sweet IBM CGA

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Yet another font ID please and thank you!

.random
May 7, 2007

I’ll try to figure out an exact match later, but just going off memory, this looks very Proxima Nova or Nexa or the like?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's probably an inlined version of Futura or a similar geometric sans-serif (Kabel, Erbar, etc).

It's tracked out and looks a bit vertically squashed.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

It's probably an inlined version of Futura or a similar geometric sans-serif (Kabel, Erbar, etc).

It's tracked out and looks a bit vertically squashed.

This is a really good poem

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

*snaps fingers, drums bongo*

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Thanks y'all! I appreciate your input, one of those will definitely either be it or super close to it. 😁

Siffl
Sep 3, 2011
I need some help locating the font used for this logo:

I can't tell if the distressed lines are artifacts of one too many people live tracing it or its just built into the font. I'm hoping its just live tracing. Thanks!

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Siffl posted:

I need some help locating the font used for this logo:

I can't tell if the distressed lines are artifacts of one too many people live tracing it or its just built into the font. I'm hoping its just live tracing. Thanks!

Some variant of Century New Style

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTqePjGtDGc

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Yo, anyone got a copy of this font?

I specifically am referring to the bigger words in the odd-looking font they're using for the spell names, i.e. 'Voxam', 'Golgatem', 'Obidil', 'Beburtt', etc. This is from the video game Zork: Grand Inquisitor. I thought it came on the disc but after installing three different versions of the game I never could find an OTF or TTF file that contained it. I know it exists, I used to have on my old PC back when this game first came out... in 1997, over twenty years ago. If you open the file up in font viewer rather than seeing the standard pangram "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" you instead get a zork-ified version with fun nonsense words, so AFAIK it wasn't just a fan made creation; someone at Activision created the font for the game and it somehow got distributed online - and I'd imagine purposely so, since this game had a co-op netplay feature for some reason.

I'm really hoping one of you guys are as nuts about weird fonts and P&C adventure games as I am and still have a copy of it because I can't find anywhere.

EDIT: thanks to feedmyleg in the adventure games thread we found it, and somehow he did it using WhatTheFont which has NEVER worked for me before so either I'm total poo poo or he's some kind of master at this.

Anyway, it's not the exact same file as I got back in the day I don't think, but it IS for sure Skreech Caps. $29 seems a little steep for something I know I got for free in 1997 but whatever. I make good money.

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 8, 2021

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Skunkrocker posted:

Yo, anyone got a copy of this font?

I specifically am referring to the bigger words in the odd-looking font they're using for the spell names, i.e. 'Voxam', 'Golgatem', 'Obidil', 'Beburtt', etc. This is from the video game Zork: Grand Inquisitor. I thought it came on the disc but after installing three different versions of the game I never could find an OTF or TTF file that contained it. I know it exists, I used to have on my old PC back when this game first came out... in 1997, over twenty years ago. If you open the file up in font viewer rather than seeing the standard pangram "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" you instead get a zork-ified version with fun nonsense words, so AFAIK it wasn't just a fan made creation; someone at Activision created the font for the game and it somehow got distributed online - and I'd imagine purposely so, since this game had a co-op netplay feature for some reason.

I'm really hoping one of you guys are as nuts about weird fonts and P&C adventure games as I am and still have a copy of it because I can't find anywhere.

EDIT: thanks to feedmyleg in the adventure games thread we found it, and somehow he did it using WhatTheFont which has NEVER worked for me before so either I'm total poo poo or he's some kind of master at this.

Anyway, it's not the exact same file as I got back in the day I don't think, but it IS for sure Skreech Caps. $29 seems a little steep for something I know I got for free in 1997 but whatever. I make good money.

I took a quick look into this and it seems the fonts are stored in .ZFS files that the game uses to as asset packages, no idea how to open them, that myfonts font is free here https://www.dafontfree.net/skreech-caps/f21297.htm

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Oh hey thanks! Glad I didn't buy that right away.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Cross-posting from the small questions thread:

Can anyone help with font identification from an old-timey label? I'm reconditioning some old (circa 1930s) lamps and part of that process is recreating the original labels which were damaged beyond repair and got removed with the paint. I'm counting at least three fonts here but I have no idea where to start identifying what they are or close-enough analogues.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Try running the images through https://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/ and pick out various parts of the text to see what comes up. Some of the text is definitely custom work and/or squished (the "MODERNE" text in particular).

You could also attempt to contact the company that manufactured them as they're still around and might have some information or old images on file: https://www.brunswick.com/contact

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Try running the images through https://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/ and pick out various parts of the text to see what comes up. Some of the text is definitely custom work and/or squished (the "MODERNE" text in particular).

Thanks for the tip! It picked out the text just fine but none of the matches it came up with were terribly useful.

quote:

You could also attempt to contact the company that manufactured them as they're still around and might have some information or old images on file: https://www.brunswick.com/contact

This was the first thing I tried (it's Brunswick Billiards) but I got no response from that. They do have a fairly extensive online digitization of their back catalogs but nothing high resolution enough to pick out details.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

csammis posted:

Thanks for the tip! It picked out the text just fine but none of the matches it came up with were terribly useful.

This was the first thing I tried (it's Brunswick Billiards) but I got no response from that. They do have a fairly extensive online digitization of their back catalogs but nothing high resolution enough to pick out details.

There would be a select amount of fonts available in that era, might be worth researching that

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

csammis posted:

After a bit of digging, it turns out it's both companies/websites! In fact it might be harder to find something these folks haven't manufactured in the last 200 years. They started with the intention of making carriages, got fascinated by billiards, expanded into toilet seats, tires, phonographs, and bowling equipment, eventually into yachts and boats, and more recently into... weapons and military equipment? This is a weird company.

If you didn't have any luck at the Billiards offshoot, maybe try the boating offshoot I linked?

What's the restoration of the lamps for? Personal hobby/historical record, or are you aiming for them to be props on a set or something?

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

djssniper posted:

There would be a select amount of fonts available in that era, might be worth researching that

That's a good tip. I started looking into fonts tagged "1930s" at https://fontsinuse.com/ with some success so far...I think the REFLECTOR and TRADE MARK and MADE EXCLUSIVELY FOR texts are something similar to Franklin Gothic.

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

After a bit of digging, it turns out it's both companies/websites! In fact it might be harder to find something these folks haven't manufactured in the last 200 years. They started with the intention of making carriages, got fascinated by billiards, expanded into toilet seats, tires, phonographs, and bowling equipment, eventually into yachts and boats, and more recently into... weapons and military equipment? This is a weird company.

Wow, I had no idea! That's pretty neat. I was limiting my research to Brunswick Billiards because these lamps are from a billiards hall, pictured in the left column second from the top:

quote:

What's the restoration of the lamps for? Personal hobby/historical record, or are you aiming for them to be props on a set or something?

Personal use. They were purchased by my grandfather in 1950 and have been collecting dust in basements for the last seventy years. I inherited the lamps (and a whole rear end billiard table to boot) in fairly poor condition and have been stripping them down and refinishing/rewiring so they can be used. There was no saving the original labels so I took a bunch of photos and measurements and have been recreating them in Inkscape. I'm never going to get a pixel-perfect recreation but that's not really my goal here anyway. They're just neat :unsmith:

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeX55kZH9yE

Does anyone recognize this font? I plan on restoring the image without the graffiti on it for a comedy Twitter account.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Agoat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeX55kZH9yE

Does anyone recognize this font? I plan on restoring the image without the graffiti on it for a comedy Twitter account.

Looks pretty close to Futura PT, although the G and H are a bit off.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Just Andi Now posted:

Looks pretty close to Futura PT, although the G and H are a bit off.

Thank you! I figure that's plenty close enough for what's basically a parody of a US politician. :)

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Is this an existing commercial font, or it it entirely custom?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Anyone?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

WHY? or maybe HOW?

e: cropped the image so it doesn't look like I'm advertising

Disreputable Dog
Dec 16, 2010

csammis posted:

Cross-posting from the small questions thread:

Can anyone help with font identification from an old-timey label? I'm reconditioning some old (circa 1930s) lamps and part of that process is recreating the original labels which were damaged beyond repair and got removed with the paint. I'm counting at least three fonts here but I have no idea where to start identifying what they are or close-enough analogues.

Kan-Trio-Lite
Look at something like a Goudy or a Bookman.

Trademark/made for
- look at something like a Akzidenz Expanded/wide in a thin weight, or a Sacker's Gothic

MODERNE
- domaine sans text medium, 19-PRA, or similar

THE BRUNSWICK
- akzidenz condensed, Franklyn Gothic or similar American grotesque

Probably the exact fonts you're after aren't digitized and lost to time.

hybridnoisebloom
Nov 16, 2021

trying to find a couple fonts but haven't had much luck so i figured i'd go to people who know what they're looking for, any leads on either of these?

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
I think both are Palatino

hybridnoisebloom
Nov 16, 2021

poo poo i think you're right. dunno how i didn't see that. thanks!

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Anyone recognize this font(s)?

Thanksssss

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
http://www.trafficsign.us/signtypeface.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007