Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
2 font identification requests, please.

1) I work with US government documents, and a lot of docs published in the 1950s-early 70s use Futura on their covers and text.

For reference --

Example text in Futura --

But I've noticed that sometimes they use a font that looks very similar to Futura but isn't -- example:

You can see by the angled stem ends (perpendicular sans?) of the capital A and R, the way that J in "January" descends below the baseline, the straight part of the bowl in the capital G, the number 1, etc. that this isn't Futura.

Any clue what it is? (It's not Twentieth Century MT -- I already compared.)

2) Inside this same document with the mystery font on the cover, they use a sans serif font in their headers -- examples:

Is this Futura Bold? It looks very much like it, except Futura Bold's quotation marks are straight not curly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Interesting, thank you both!

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Are any of you aware of a close match to the woefully non-digitized typeface Benedictine?

:swoon:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It looks like a knockoff of a Futura light italic made for a typewriter. Check out my post here and the next two replies for a little more info --
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3473301&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=10#post447243660

On a similar note, this site is a great resource: http://fontsinuse.com/in/1/industries/56/governmental-civic

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It looks like Beton Bold Condensed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The IM FELL family (Dafont.com, Google fonts) is free and has a ton of styles to choose from.