Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Does anyone know of a font at least vaguely similar to the SGT PEPPERS / CLUB BAND on the drum here?

I am trying to do my own version (so need extra letters too), and have fought with moving the letters around in Gimp, including drawing shadows in on the opposite side after cutting/pasting from the bottom words, and tried making new letters with what's already there (like R to D), but it looks rubbish. I am also pretty sure (though not certain) that the drum from the album cover (above) was hand-painted, in which case I've looked for a best match.

There are two very similar typed versions that look close to the original (but don't quite seem to be the same - look at the B in BAND). If anyone knows what these are, or knows of a better match to the original, I'd be very grateful:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I'll give it a go. I've never edited a font before, though.

If anyone recognizes the font on the two bottom images in the post then that'd work too

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

FangSong. Comes with Windows.

I always thought it was Ming Liu, never bothered to check though. Learn something new ever day!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Ah, that would have been lovely. Seems like a pretty good match.

As it was I took a font and offset the letters in Paint, so for example the C is just typing C twice, and then overlaying with a horizontal offset. Then I did the same thing with a horizontal and vertical offset to create the "shadow"

I can't remember the font I used, but I think it was a standard Windows one, and I think I used the Bold version.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Fayez Butts posted:

Can you do type along a path in Gimp? Cause that will treat you a lot better than Paint

I used Gimp (you can't rotate things other than 45 or 90 degrees - I forget which - in Paint), and I've used typing along a path in the Corel equivalent of Photoshop (but after learning that, I sadly no longer have access to it).

But the way Gimp seems to handle both fonts and paths irritates me - I read several guides and couldn't get it to work. I'm sure I was just missing something glaringly obvious, but the quickest and most stress-free way for me to sort it was: create the letters in Paint in two colours, open each as a layer in Gimp (sorting out transparency), position them over each other with the adequate "drop shadow" offset, --> merge down, select individual letter and paste into drum image as a layer, rotate and space by hand.

As you can tell from the text, it didn't need to be flawless in execution.