Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arthus
Nov 11, 2011

SansUnicorn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthus
Nov 11, 2011

SansUnicorn

Arthus
Nov 11, 2011

SansUnicorn

Resplendent Spiral posted:

Also just to reiterate:

Arial doesn't have a respectable uppercase R, it has a letter P. Wearing a scarf. In the middle of summer.

I'm going to remember this one, thanks!

pipes! posted:

It's like that one dude who posted that one awesome unicorn font here awhile back that caused my copy of FontExplorer to wither up and die.

Haha, it's still as effective as ever. For those interested, a link with the download of all weights can be found here.

Also, the font will be featured in the Typodarium calendar 2013! And yes, getting the files printable for them required some work.

Arthus
Nov 11, 2011

SansUnicorn

:japan:

Arthus
Nov 11, 2011

SansUnicorn

Resplendent Spiral posted:

I keep getting the mental image of riding one of those pennyfarthing bicycles while reading this. its so top heavy.

I also think no one ever made a lower case 'a' like that, or I'd like to know how it would look well-designed.

Arthus
Nov 11, 2011

SansUnicorn

neonnoodle posted:

I would totally play a Pokemon mod where you catch fonts.

Then Mechanes would be super effective against Humanist type. At least if we stick to Vox.

Arthus
Nov 11, 2011

SansUnicorn

And then of course there is Gill Sans Infant

Arthus
Nov 11, 2011

SansUnicorn

Kgummy posted:

Since I don't really know that much about fonts, are those prices normal for fonts? Or is it because they're high quality fonts?

Those prices aren't even high. Some packages can go up into the few thousands for a single license. Font production is extremely hard to pice, some typefaces take years to complete, the amount of hours put into the finishing touches (which can take years, while the main design can be done in a few weeks).

And that's not even talking about custom ordered typefaces...

Arthus
Nov 11, 2011

SansUnicorn
Bauer Bodoni is one of the few decent Bodoni's out there, almost all of them suck at sizes under 14 points.

That is if you want to use Bodoni under 14 points...

Arthus
Nov 11, 2011

SansUnicorn

Jerry Cotton posted:

I've read a few books entirely set in Bodoni and it was rather unpleasant.

Which I hope my second line makes all the more clear, didones suck at small sizes and make you claw out your eyes. I have no idea why people do it.

However, it can work really well as a companion type for highlights/notes etc, even down to sizes of 8 points.

Oh and that Proxima Nova Twerk is amazing.

Arthus
Nov 11, 2011

SansUnicorn

burexas.irom posted:

I'm in love with this one. It's a semi-serif Baskerville created exclusively for the University of Sussex.
Anybody got something similar to recommend that is commercially available? But not Museo. Never Museo.

Is the overuse of Museo a world wide thing or is it just where I live?

Museo is free to use if you don't bother with other styles, so that's why. Actually was a quite smart marketing trick, and yes you see it way too often. Oh and of course slabs were trendy for the past few years.

That's a weird Baskerville, the stroke-ends with no serifs are quite awkward on the m. Similar? Well a free Baskerville? Will look a bit further but usually awkward design also includes awkward caps, spacing, no styles. So not that usable.

Arthus
Nov 11, 2011

SansUnicorn

Fayez Butts posted:

Maybe you're joking and I'm tired but that font is hideous.

The lower case t is amazing though!

Arthus
Nov 11, 2011

SansUnicorn

You mean Adobe made an app which creates only capitals using parameters they pre-designed. As a comment in the video of Adobe: this is Power Tools & Eyeycandy (for photoshop) all over, it is stale. This idea has even been done better before (at least since the birth of digital type) and dumped since the idea just doesn't work or at least doesn't lead to usable typography since the changeable parameters are never the ones you want.

Caps are easy, any student with a good interest into type and skills with coding will create a similar application and ditch it since they will run in problems (with the construction of lower case, the limited degree of parameters, and so on) Even so, there are better projects trying to 'solve' type generating out there. (see prototypo.)

What do I do if I want a different stencil? Or round corners compared with sharp ones? Why do you think no one uses photoshop filters? Well, here is the type-design equivalent.

Arthus fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 15, 2015

Arthus
Nov 11, 2011

SansUnicorn

Ferrule posted:

It's beta, so maybe that will answer some of your concerns.

It's Adobe, so

See: Quark.

Way before there were systems which applied effects/gave tools for adjustments. Some even have been picked up by Adobe itself some decennia ago. (great showcase) of Ares Chameleon) "It's Adobe" isn't a seal of quality, we all know what happened to every Macromedia product. (crap did stay crap while under the adobe seal)

Still, I'll applaud more interest into type design, it's just that these programs sadly still don't give you want you would like. As they have done over the past 40? years at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthus
Nov 11, 2011

SansUnicorn

spirited posted:

I made a font using FontLab Studio, but I have hideous kerning problems that cause me to manually adjust the kerning between specific letters in InDesign. I'd like to specify unique kerning rules when specific letters are next to each other by default. Are there any FontLab masters here?

Manually adjusting kerning is not a big deal for this font, because it's for my own identity purposes so I don't care. Eventually though I'd like to develop fonts for clients, so I need to figure this problem out.

Links:
Project page for the font
OTF of the font

You can create your own kerning pairs using the metric window:

To make correct kerning pairs you have to adjust those manually anyway. You can also add classes to share kerning (so you don't have to redo kerning for glyphs with similar sides)