Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

* It turns out that Wikipedia is wrong. Harvey Smith never worked on Thief.
Yeah, that would be Randy Smith. They each often get mistaken for the other because they both worked on projects for Looking Glass and Ion Storm. (Edit: And they both worked on Dark Messiah.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
That's super weird that there are two people with the last name Smith. I mean, what are the chances? Probably like one in a zillion. I've learned my lesson about trusting Wikipedia though.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Okay, where the hell did this come from? It looks loving amazing.

It seems like every time I turn around now I'm looking at sequels. Mass Effect, CoD, Battlefield, Elder Scrolls--the list goes on longer than one of my dad's air force stories.

A whole new IP? Sandbox levels? An interview where one of the developers mentions Thief players? Holy poo poo.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
That little music bit reminds me of Max Payne. In a good way.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

TychoCelchuuu posted:

From the OP:

Teaches me to skip the OP.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

TychoCelchuuu posted:

set in a Victorian steampunk city inspired by London in the 1940's.

If I hear anyone talk like a Dark Elf from Skyrim, or yell "GOR BLIMEY STEAM SHINE YOUR COAL-SHOES GUVNAH?" I shall hit someone.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
I don't know if I want to gently caress with someone that wears this for a mask:

Also, the police on stilts seem a little ridiculous but in a good way.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Contra Calculus posted:

I don't know if I want to gently caress with someone that wears this for a mask:

I'm getting some good vibes from the art.

Like, "China Miéville" vibes. I'm waiting to see how important of a role the Cactus people will be in this game.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
An interview on the stealth gameplay with two of the people in charge of the game. Choice quote:

quote:

what are your thoughts on stealth gameplay being included as one possible path or playstyle, as opposed to the main focus of the game?

Raf: This is the approach we’re taking with Dishonored: you can chose a stealth approach or attack head on, or in combination. My personal thought on this is that it supports simulation and player choice, which is always a good thing from our standpoint.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

^^^^^ I just hope that it's not the typical "This is the path if you want to be sneaky, and this is the path if you want to shoot guys in the head!"

Contra Calculus posted:

I like how they build machines and poo poo on stilts just because of the rat plague. It's a nice attention to detail in art design that doesn't seem to happen a lot nowadays, where everything is super departmentalized.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

As a massive Thief type stealth, HL, Deus Ex and System Shock fan, this game is like a dream come true. Here's hoping the release date will be out soon. And the stilts are like the human baby version of HL Striders. Not surprising considering the people involved of course!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Brainbread posted:

Like, "China Miéville" vibes.

Thank you! I was thinking that too, but was afraid it was just some sort of hope trick.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I was browsing the official forums for this game (long story) and apparently someone found some screenshots somewhere. They're aliased all to hell and at different resolutions and look unfinished but hey, more screenshots.

Links to some of the least ugly ones (warning, some are huuuuuge):

http://s4.noelshack.com/old/up/dishonored20120319034257237-5de0991459.jpg
http://s4.noelshack.com/uploads/images/19991826727389_dishonored20120319031813874.jpg
http://s4.noelshack.com/uploads/images/3939278932710_dishonored20120319032637912.jpg
http://s4.noelshack.com/uploads/images/21097749574044_dishonored20120319032757028.jpg
http://s4.noelshack.com/uploads/images/2153871211338_dishonored20120319034758625.jpg
http://s4.noelshack.com/uploads/images/12450512314251_dishonored20120319035411135.jpg

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

These guys are rad. As someone who unabashedly adored Dark Messiah, this has pretty much skyrocketed to my most anticipated game this year. I hope it's gonna be demo'd at PAX East.

Relaxodon
Oct 2, 2010

Holy poo poo, these guys are using bows! That is awesome and i don't know why.

Massive_Idiot
Jun 21, 2007

Receiving data bursts, everything to do with it.
If there isn't news about this game in the next few months I'll be sorely disappointed.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
This is a really weird looking game...I can't wait.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
God I love the example Raphael Colantonio gives in this video:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/05/dishonored-dev-explains-game-concepts/

You can wait for an enemy to fire a bullet at you, freeze time, possess the enemy then make him walk in front of his own bullet. Holy poo poo.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
This is looking better than BioShock: Infinite, both in art direction and some of the gameplay concepts. I'm a little confused though... I don't mean to be pedantic but how was this game "inspired by 1660's London", "inspired by the Victorian Era", and then set in the 1940's?

It's their game, they can do whatever the hell they want, but that's three different eras. I'm just trying to figure out if there's some method to all that anachronistic madness or if it's just a clusterfuck of "hey, let's mash together all these different time periods".

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I'm really looking forward to this. I loved Deus Ex and Dark Messiah, and am enjoying playing through Hitman: Blood Money now. Many modern games are linear with few meaningful choices or ways to accomplish objectives. This looks like a needed throwback.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I'm with everyone else, I want to be excited, but I know I should wait. This looks very promising however.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Tewratomeh posted:

This is looking better than BioShock: Infinite, both in art direction and some of the gameplay concepts. I'm a little confused though... I don't mean to be pedantic but how was this game "inspired by 1660's London", "inspired by the Victorian Era", and then set in the 1940's?

They found a way. :colbert:

The interview basically implied that just mashing two different time periods was getting stale, so they came up with this weird stew of different stuff and it fits only because they chose what elements the setting needed every time...or so they say.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Tewratomeh posted:

It's their game, they can do whatever the hell they want, but that's three different eras. I'm just trying to figure out if there's some method to all that anachronistic madness or if it's just a clusterfuck of "hey, let's mash together all these different time periods".

This video explains everything. Short version: the city is inspired by Victorian London, but to keep things fresh they imported visual elements from 1940's London, especially for the steampunk technology. I'm not sure where you got 1660's from but I know London had plenty of old buildings from the seventeenth century that were still around in the Victorian era (check it out).

Rinar
Sep 9, 2007
In one of the interviews one of the leads says that their starting point for their alternate history was 1660's London and they built their time line from there up to the point where the game happens.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
I'm trying very hard to keep my expectations low about this, but everything I see about it is chipping away at my resolve.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Policemen on stilts may seem ridiculous, but it's both intimidating for a stealth game (because they can probably see you better from high up) and also it's one of those nice weird things that lets you know, "THIS IS NOT YOUR WORLD." Like how everyone uses metal rods instead of coins in "Wings of Honneamise."

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Speedball posted:

Policemen on stilts may seem ridiculous, but it's both intimidating for a stealth game (because they can probably see you better from high up) and also it's one of those nice weird things that lets you know, "THIS IS NOT YOUR WORLD." Like how everyone uses metal rods instead of coins in "Wings of Honneamise."

Also it's just nice attention to detail. The city is infected with a horrible rat plague, of course these guys will be on stilts.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

fookolt posted:

Dishonored, Prey 2, Borderlands 2...I know all these games are all really different, but drat, 2012 is a fantastic year for fans of FPS games :dance:

Prey 2 might have been cancelled. Bethesda are refusing to say either way on the rumours :(

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
Good OP, thanks. I've had this preordered a while, surprised to not see it discussed much on SA. Everything so far looks great, I just hope they can differentiate it from Bioshock.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Tufty posted:

Prey 2 might have been cancelled. Bethesda are refusing to say either way on the rumours :(

For once, I'm glad one of my favorite games isn't getting a sequel. A Prey 2 without spatial mindfuckery or Tommy is not a Prey 2 worth making. :colbert:

(Yes, I'm still sore about Okamiden)

vvv I just wish publisher execs would think like that.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 15, 2012

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

YourAverageJoe posted:

For once, I'm glad one of my favorite games isn't getting a sequel. A Prey 2 without spatial mindfuckery or Tommy is not a Prey 2 worth making. :colbert:

A bounty-hunting game in outer space sounds pretty awesome, though. Perhaps it just deserves to be its own IP.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I was feelin' horny and ornery hornery
So many things I like about this game just visually.

Viktor Antonov is a former industrial designer, so he actually sits down and thinks about how this poo poo might work in the real world. Basically, he's like the Syd Mead of video games.

I also like that they've gone with a caricature style for the models. Makes it look like something out of Heavy Metal magazine or 2000AD.

Hovermoose
Jul 27, 2010

The art style is truly beautiful in a twisted sort of way. Can't wait to see it in motion!

Is anybody else getting a Keith Thompson vibe?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

YourAverageJoe posted:

(Yes, I'm still sore about Okamiden)

vvv I just wish publisher execs would think like that.

The original prey was terrible. Also Prey 2 had Tommy.

Prey 2 looked absolutely amazing and am sorely disappointed that it's running into development problems. Hopefully if it's canned, whoever is making it gets to keep making the game and shop it around (as something that isn't Prey)

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The original prey was terrible.

The original Prey was awesome and I'll have nobody telling me otherwise. It had a world that felt alien, a distinct lack of bald white space marines and awesome guns. In 2006, that was a real commodity.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Okay so I see a lot of people throwing around the word steampunk. Pardon for not bothering to read the links (I watched a video) but have the developers actually used that term? Isn't the whole point of steampunk the fact that they use steam power (which is clearly not the case here)? I'm not trying to be pedantic, but once you develop electricity and the combustion engine, you kind of leave the realm of steampunk in my mind. It basically looks like a mashup of Half Life 2 and victorian england, which looks awesome as hell.

I have high hopes for this game; I loved thief, deus ex, dark messiah, etc. It's always great when developers take a risk and try something a little out there. We need more first person stealth/action games in the world!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

pogothemonkey0 posted:

I'm not trying to be pedantic...

Yeah, it looks like some sort of sci-fi technology more than steam and cogs, and I don't think the developers themselves used the word "Steampunk". Steampunk's just a moniker that unimaginative people use to label anything where there's a vintage aesthetic and anachronistic technology. They did the same thing with BioShock and it annoyed the hell out of me.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

pogothemonkey0 posted:

Okay so I see a lot of people throwing around the word steampunk. Pardon for not bothering to read the links (I watched a video) but have the developers actually used that term? Isn't the whole point of steampunk the fact that they use steam power (which is clearly not the case here)? I'm not trying to be pedantic, but once you develop electricity and the combustion engine, you kind of leave the realm of steampunk in my mind. It basically looks like a mashup of Half Life 2 and victorian england, which looks awesome as hell.
It appears to be better called dieselpunk, but that's not nearly as recognizable as a term.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Strudel Man posted:

It appears to be better called dieselpunk, but that's not nearly as recognizable as a term.

Dieselpunk, known in some small subcultures as "art deco".

And this is certainly not that. The architecture and fashion they show are in line with early 19th/late 18th century fashion/design by my untrained eye, which makes sense if they say that they're going for an architectural aesthetic of 1940s London. So far all of the technology appears to be sci-fi as gently caress without any modern parallels, except for ye olde lightning bows. I don't think this game's style can really be summed up by any dumb *punk label.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Giggily posted:

Dieselpunk, known in some small subcultures as "art deco".
Art deco is purely an artistic style; 'dieselpunk' also contains setting implications, which appear in this case to be realized. Art deco, as well, is not suggestive of any gritty, ugly underbelly to the world, while dieselpunk most certainly is.

The artifacts of technology - the boats, for example, and the cars - are hulking things of dark metal, which look as though they should be belching black smoke constantly into the air. You can call them 'sci-fi,' I suppose, but they certainly don't have the streamlined glass-and-plastic look that usually implies; they are more evocative of the middle industrial era from which dieselpunk draws its inspiration.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 16, 2012

• Locked thread