Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«1212 »
rujasu
Dec 18, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

3 hours to go for Realms Beyond. Last chance!

Looks like they might make the third stretch goal, the composer for the Gothic series. That would be perfect for me. I'm not really interested in the fourth stretch goal, I never play a monk in these games.

They got the third one. They'd need about another $20k in an hour and a half to get Monk. There's another stretch goal below that at $169k which has a big question mark and the icon is blurred out... this is hilarious because even with the blurring it's obviously the Linux penguin. Which, the game is for Steam, so Linux support is almost redundant these days, with Steam having a built-in Wine variant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

They haven't quite reached the third one yet, but yes, it seems inevitable. Just $630 with an hour and a half to go. Monk class and Linux I honestly don't care too much about, though it would of course be cool for the people who do.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Underworld Ascendant came out today. I've only played a small bit so far so I'm not really able to make a thumbs up or down yet. I wasn't that impressed with the alphas earlier in the year due but this release seems to be a bit better so far.

So far
Pros
+The game world and general ambience looks nice. Some really nice looking set piece dungeon rooms. Just remember to turn the graphics settings up from Low to Ultra.
+One of the tutorial sections felt just like something from Thief. Fitting given the pedigree of the developers. So I'm hopeful the stealth side going further in the game will be fun.
+Using fire to open doors is a nice feature.
+There is a skill called System Shock!
+You can pick up living rats from the ground.

Cons
+Voice acting is a bit hammy.
+No NPCs to interact with (so far).
+Save system dumps you back to the start of a level when you reload. (however this is mitigated by a special magic plant that you can use to set up a re-spawn point when you die)
+Slow load times.
+Movement could feel a bit slicker when climbing around. This feels more like Thief 3 than Thief 1/2 in terms of character motion.

Jan
Feb 26, 2008

Hank Morgan posted:

Underworld Ascendant came out today. I've only played a small bit so far so I'm not really able to make a thumbs up or down yet. I wasn't that impressed with the alphas earlier in the year due but this release seems to be a bit better so far.

Are there enemies besidse skeletons?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Jan posted:

Are there enemies besidse skeletons?

Not that I've seen yet but I'm only ~90 minutes in.

The lack of anything except checkpoint saves is a real bummer to me. The first tutorial/level bit took me around the aforesaid 90 minutes, and I rarely get a chunk of uninterrupted time that long to play games these days.

«1212 »