Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Subjunctive posted:

I’m not sure “tenured professor at respected university, with good publication record” usually counts as being a faux intellectual, but he’s definitely a nut job.
It's definitely faux when he starts talking about stuff far outside his area of expertise, which he does constantly. My introduction to him was an hour-long rant about the legal implications of Canada extending its anti-discrimination laws to cover trans people, and that was Tucker Carlson levels of stupidity, ignorance and bigotry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Memento posted:

Faux intellectual alt-right nutjob who says that you can change your life by tidying your room and also that women are the cause of all of your problems.
Also, lobsters are somehow relevant to human mating behavior or something, I forget the details.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Memento posted:

"good publication record" in psychology counts for exactly what these days though?

Pretty standard for intellectuals?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Subjunctive posted:

Pretty standard for intellectuals?

Sounds good.

Reproduce it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pumpinglemma posted:

It's definitely faux when he starts talking about stuff far outside his area of expertise, which he does constantly.

Oh, does “intellectual” mean “expert” here? That’s not the meaning I’d understood, versus being educated and devoting energies to thinking about things, but if that’s the case I agree that he often oversteps his actual expertise.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Memento posted:

Sounds good.

Reproduce it.

Do you think “intellectual” means “good” or something?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

you can be a tenured professor and an expert in a field and still be extremely stupid and not an intellectual

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What makes someone an intellectual, then, in your mind?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Oh good the definition policeman has logged on

Jordan Peterson is a loving shithead and your attempts to defend him by proxy can get in the loving ocean

And basically the whole field of psychology is a loving sham

Have a good evening.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

being intelligent and not so dumb you rant about lobsters when talking about human social hierarchies. just spending time thinking about things doesnt make you an intellectual

edit: psychology isnt fake though lmao

Stux fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 4, 2020

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

good comeback

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I edited out my response, because I decided it wasn’t productive. Apologies for not meeting your standards of posting rigour.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Subjunctive posted:

Oh, does “intellectual” mean “expert” here? That’s not the meaning I’d understood, versus being educated and devoting energies to thinking about things, but if that’s the case I agree that he often oversteps his actual expertise.
Hey, nice selective quoting.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pumpinglemma posted:

Hey, nice selective quoting.

What? The rest of your post was an example of the pattern you cited, and I said that I agreed with your assessment that the pattern was bad. What would I have to gain other than brevity from eliding it? Did I inadvertently gotcha you somehow that I can’t see? I agree that it was ridiculous for him to have a national (international?) platform for his pseudolegal analyses of pronoun implications. I Wrote A Letter to someone at a national paper about it, in fact.

I don’t really know what’s going on here, but I apologize to the thread and Memento for my part in kicking it up. I didn’t think that saying I believed JP to genuinely be an intellectual, while still a “nut job”, would cause such a heated response. I actually think that he is not stupid, that he devotes his time to intellectual pursuits, and that his writings are outlandish for reasons similar to those that lead scammers to send typo-laden email with obviously implausible premises. My understanding from people who worked with him when he was still teaching and publishing is that he is both smart and manipulative, and I think the weird diagrams and evoking of crustaceans is cynical targeting of the people most susceptible to his grift.

All that aside, I should have read the room better when I saw Memento’s response to me and emotional tenor of it, and walked away rather than trying to make my case. I certainly never intended to support JP in any meaningful way, even “by proxy” or whatever. I’ll go get some more coffee. Sorry.

Go back the Trese brothers’ cyberpunk thing. It will have much more entertainment value than my posts.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

You could've called Peterson an intellectual before he decided to go outside his wheelhouse because he's a moron there. He's not like Chomsky.

Surprised someone who posts on SA had never heard of him.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

What? The rest of your post was an example of the pattern you cited, and I said that I agreed with your assessment that the pattern was bad. What would I have to gain other than brevity from eliding it? Did I inadvertently gotcha you somehow that I can’t see? I agree that it was ridiculous for him to have a national (international?) platform for his pseudolegal analyses of pronoun implications. I Wrote A Letter to someone at a national paper about it, in fact.

I don’t really know what’s going on here, but I apologize to the thread and Memento for my part in kicking it up. I didn’t think that saying I believed JP to genuinely be an intellectual, while still a “nut job”, would cause such a heated response. I actually think that he is not stupid, that he devotes his time to intellectual pursuits, and that his writings are outlandish for reasons similar to those that lead scammers to send typo-laden email with obviously implausible premises. My understanding from people who worked with him when he was still teaching and publishing is that he is both smart and manipulative, and I think the weird diagrams and evoking of crustaceans is cynical targeting of the people most susceptible to his grift.

All that aside, I should have read the room better when I saw Memento’s response to me and emotional tenor of it, and walked away rather than trying to make my case. I certainly never intended to support JP in any meaningful way, even “by proxy” or whatever. I’ll go get some more coffee. Sorry.

Go back the Trese brothers’ cyberpunk thing. It will have much more entertainment value than my posts.

an idiot can play make believe at being an intellecutal but theyll still be an idiot and not an intellectual. it doesnt matter if you devote your time to intellectual pursuits if all your conclusions are completely wrong, much like someone isnt a virtuso simply because they spend 40 hours a day playing piano. if theyre tone deaf and cant make it through a piece without stopping every 4 bars then theyre still bad at piano no matter how much time theyve spent on it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Groovelord Neato posted:

Surprised someone who posts on SA had never heard of him.

Where would you be "supposed" to hear of him? Is he in the news or something?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Memento posted:

Faux intellectual alt-right nutjob who says that you can change your life by tidying your room and also that women are the cause of all of your problems.
The guy who said people should wash their dick and clean their rooms if they are having life troubles. He almost died from drinking apple juice at some point. He talks nonsense he doesn't believe in and people thinks he is an alt-righter when he really is a grifter. You can makes lots of memes about the guy for having a messed up life he refuses to fix.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Peterson? Yeah he was on the news a ton before his weird diet destroyed him

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

CharlestheHammer posted:

Peterson? Yeah he was on the news a ton before his weird diet destroyed him

Ah that would be it. I stopped following the news in 2016 because it made my head explode with anger. (I have dialed that back to follow covid news because. But I still avoid other news.)

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I watched the scene from The Messenger. Was expecting a couple lines with a veiled reference, but it's a full three minute story from "Jordan the Wise" and it's just regurgitation of his broke-brained, bootstraps philosophy. It would irritate the hell out of me to run into something like that in the middle of a game.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Maybe I'm giving the game too much credit but at the time I assumed that, given the context of the shopkeeper constantly telling you long boring stories, that they were making fun of Peterson.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Memento posted:

And basically the whole field of psychology is a loving sham

Have a good evening.

:confused:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Inexplicable YouTube recs on LPs.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

He's very popular online and posting on SA is about as online as a person can be.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

In Other Waters is really fuckin good yall

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I mean the reproducibility crisis, where massive swathes of the discipline are based on research that absolutely cannot be reproduced and should not be relied on.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

lol

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I took the Messenger thing to be a joke at Petersen's expense but the whole game was so poorly written that it's hard to know for sure.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I took the Messenger thing to be a joke at Petersen's expense but the whole game was so poorly written that it's hard to know for sure.

I didn't know about the reference, and looking it up, the chuds sure seem to think it's a favourable reference.

"OMG the game is anti-SJW??? day one buy!!"

:ughh:

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

I mean, they have/had a 'did you assume my gender' '''joke''' in it. That should be all you really need to know about 'em.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Sometimes people have a lot of complex and even conflicting opinions so no that is not all you need to know about them imo

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I looked it up and it appears they removed the transphobic, not-funny joke as soon as someone pointed out the issue to them. Not great that the joke made it in in the first place, but good response by removing it instead of doubling down about Video Gamer Free Speech or something.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I remember one of the advertised selling points of the game was the "humor", which is almost always a bad sign.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I looked it up and it appears they removed the transphobic, not-funny joke as soon as someone pointed out the issue to them. Not great that the joke made it in in the first place, but good response by removing it instead of doubling down about Video Gamer Free Speech or something.

It’s sad that sometimes that’s the best you can hope for. I can feel for a team if one of the members is a bigot and puts something in without the team knowing. If they don’t fight taking it out I give them the benefit of the doubt. If they go all Ion Fury and try to fight it I pretty much write them off.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Chairchucker posted:

Sometimes people have a lot of complex and even conflicting opinions so no that is not all you need to know about them imo

Though most of the time that’s all you need to know.

But movies have trained people to assume nuance is a thing when most of the time it really isn’t

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Nuance is a thing, but so is context. If opinions run some gamut of great, good, ok, tolerable, iffy, concerning, bad, awful. Then the context in which they're expressed runs from fully intentional and pre planned and detailed, to fully intentional and pre-planned, to pre-planned but oddly worded, to intentional but in the moment, to under the influence, to under stress to under duress.

Something done in a published work that has undergone revision is pretty clearly intentional so you need a lot of mitigating factors to say it doesn't represent someone. If you have an opinion that runs counter to how you wish to be seen you can just not express it, or if you want to express it, because it's complex and not really like that, then you can put in a lot of context and argument to defend it. If you willingly and consciously put an opinion out there, knowing how people will judge you on it, then you can expect people to judge you on it.

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I can feel for a team if one of the members is a bigot and puts something in without the team knowing. If they don’t fight taking it out I give them the benefit of the doubt. If they go all Ion Fury and try to fight it I pretty much write them off.

Yeah, the complexity and group work aspect of video games can make it harder to assign that opinion to a specific person, but their reaction to audience reaction usually gives a good clue as to where they stand.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

It’s sad that sometimes that’s the best you can hope for. I can feel for a team if one of the members is a bigot and puts something in without the team knowing. If they don’t fight taking it out I give them the benefit of the doubt. If they go all Ion Fury and try to fight it I pretty much write them off.

It comes as a relief when the popular attitude on the internet is Never Renege On Anything (because that would be admitting you were wrong and then you'll be eaten by the mob.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yeah, I don’t remember the Peterson thing, but I do remember thinking the writing was poor. I certainly don’t want an RPG written like that.