Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Here's an oddball KS that a friend came across. No idea what else to say other than it seems set for Steam early access already: Spaceflux: Arena FPS in the 5th Dimension

Or just the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcr9NEIAiGY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Looks like a videogame adaptation of Bumble

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba2IRyq3dyE

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Wicked Them Beats posted:

That is correct, but they didn't mention the weird farming game until the very last day of the campaign. So the first $4 million they got was before anyone had heard anything about this.

Also, speaking as a Suikoden fanboy, we are sheep and would have bought it if they said it was made by Payless Shoe Source.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Andrigaar posted:

Here's an oddball KS that a friend came across. No idea what else to say other than it seems set for Steam early access already: Spaceflux: Arena FPS in the 5th Dimension

Or just the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcr9NEIAiGY

Oh goooddddddd :catdrugs:

I loving love this. I've been asking for a trippy shader FPS for years!!!!

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Too bad it’s a multiplayer game. Indie mp fps is basically dead on arrival.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Goddamned Corona, didn't even realize eight (!!!) months had gone by without an update on the physical goodies.
Gif-heavy update posted

If you're one of the goons who's in for phsyical goodies, we're doing our utmost to start shipping them this month.

Pictured: "You and what army?"
"This one."

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Lemon-Lime posted:

I can't remember if it was there at launch but they have a big section on their KS campaign where they outright say they have a publisher and the KS campaign is to demonstrate interest as a condition to getting publisher funding, so they're not exactly hiding it:

Yeah, I backed in the first half hour and remember seeing this. I don't think they've hid the ball on that.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Hollandia posted:

Witchmarsh is a Kickstarter I backed in 2014, with an expected release date of 2015, stopped updating in late 2019, and has out of the blue updated today to say they're still working on it and are not compromising their vision.

As I was browsing my Steam library, I remembered I backed the next game from the maker of Immortal Defense 11 years ago. Some kind of Legend of Zelda like / shooter / exploration game / ecosystem simulation

It was greenlighted on Steam in 2016, a bit later he sent keys for the beta. Since then he's been regularly saying he's still working on it part-time but he will definitely finish the game somewhere in 2021/22

But when I go on his facebook page he's just posting social media crap every 30 min :(

It's really a shame because the game looks really unique and not too far from completion. And the guy clearly isn't a newbie in game development; Immortal defense is a very good game and was well received. It's just I think the scope of this one was a bit too big (he claims there are 1000 game zones/screens) and around 50 hrs of gameplay.

I still hope one day in 2025 I will receive a message with the steam key for the release :downs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjDvXvyFqjo

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 9, 2020

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

lol loving 11 years ago

Well, we knew what we signed up for

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Phlegmish posted:

lol loving 11 years ago

Well, we knew what we signed up for

Yeah and when he launched the KS (it was just to pay the fees to the IGF) he had already been working on it for 2 years.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

On top of backing Witchmarsh I also backed another game at the same time using the same art style called Galactic Princess, it's a kind of a weird space ship game.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/19027642/galactic-princess/description

They stopped updating back in 2017, this one is particularly sad because they actually released a playable build on steam that let's you play the tutorial, I still have it installed since I'm afraid if I delete it I won't be able to download it again.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I always wonder what is going through their minds, if it were me I would either give up completely and refund everyone, or put in a Herculean effort to release a playable game. The worst thing would be to have it hang over my head for all those years.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

But when I go on his facebook page he's just posting social media crap every 30 min :(

social media is the devbane

well it's the humanbane really but still by extension it turns out it's also very bad for video games getting made

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
The Unsung Story Devs sent out an email to backers today indicating they are making the playable Alpha available to higher tier backers:

quote:

Dear Backers,

As we announced in our September Kickstarter Update, we are rolling out the Chapter 1 Alpha to our top-tier ($165 or higher) backers… right now! We are happy to announce that the Alpha is now live. If you are among those tiers, you can gain access by updating the First Playable Build in Steam. If you are a $165+ backer and haven’t joined us yet, be sure to search your email for a message titled “Unsung Story First Playable Steam Code Follow-up.” It will have all the information you need to activate the game on Steam and get in. Now is the best time to make use of your design feedback access as this build has the bones we intend to grow from – all 7 missions and the first 7 classes in Chapter 1, plus some chase items in the store to outfit your units with!

If you can’t find the email or Steam key we sent, please reach out to support@gamersfirst.com and we’ll look it up and get you in.

Once you have gotten a chance to play, please come visit our Official Discord to chat with designers and leave your feedback. As you do so, please remember that while this is a big step for the game, it is still an alpha build. This means that while many of our systems are in, there will be content missing. For example, not all the characters will be available in the Alpha, and the characters that are available currently all share the same model. There are unfinished environments and dialog that isn't final. It also means we still have a fair amount of tuning to do. Early missions have gotten more love than later missions. Here is a known issues list for the Alpha build:

Mission 1 – If your main character has been downed at the end of combat, the end cutscene model will also appear downed
Mission 1 – During the opening cutscene, the Microbot and Automatank portraits will flash red before becoming blue again
Mission 3 – Steam Vent volume doesn’t change with Volume Options
Mission 4 – Ranged units are able to attack through buildings
Mission 6 – Stair collision acts like steps rather than a ramp
Mission 6 – There is a seam in the level geometry
Mission 6 – Harmonic Fissure volume doesn’t change with Volume Options
Mission 6 – Downed Automatank remains during cutscene
Mission 6 – Background music is missing
Mission 7 – Background music is missing
Various text issues
Lighting is not yet finished on some cutscenes
The hair clips through the Guardian helmet
There is a seam on the hood of the Archer
Character placement circles can clip into the environment
Highlighting a mission does not currently show its location on the map. There will be a lot more map functionality coming.
You can sometimes get into a state where you can’t click on a NPC in the HUB
Characters can get stuck if you progress through dialog too quickly
Holding space to skip cutscenes does not always work
The “Save Files” list is able to be dragged out of its bounding area
Scrolling with your mouse wheel after assigning a job will case the background to zoom in and out
Changing resolution does not always properly adjust the graphics/window of the game
The drop down for resolution options doesn’t scroll which prevents the player for being able to view all resolutions
Character animations reset during character customization, which causes them to abruptly move
Missing countdown for knocked out units
Missing indicator that you are losing or gaining gold
Character facial stubble has visual static
Various skills do not yet have animations
Sirena will sometimes buff downed enemy units
Using Tumble for a second time, after cancelling and moving, will prompt the player to move from the original location
Creating a Physician initially will still load you in to the first mission as a Mercenary
Characters do not die permanently yet
Some abilities are not working yet
Allies can currently be targeted with basic attacks
Not all Abilities and Passives currently auto-equip when you unlock them
We will also be posting this list of known issues in the #unsung-announcements section of the Discord for your convenience as you play.

This Alpha is a crucial step in a game’s lifecycle. Due to their higher contributions, the $165+ backers are going to get the first opportunity to give us their impressions about the flow, feel, and balance of the game. That feedback will be essential as we bring Unsung Story to full release. Please come help us grow the game together!

Lastly, if you’re not in this round, don’t worry. We plan to roll the Chapter 1 alpha build to all backers fairly quickly after we have had a chance to review the initial feedback.

—The Unsung Story Team

Kind of hard to believe this might actually be a real game one day (for better or for worse).

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the insane amount of transparency the new devs have been creating has made me pretty confident that unsung story will defintiely come out at some point. whether or not it's good remains to be seen, but it definitely sounds like we'll get something at some point

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Rise, thread, and back this weird french indie thing!

Antimatter

quote:

Antimatter is a sandbox strategy game, colonise planets, build your city on the surface or the underground. Build your spacestation and design your own spaceships to explore a huge and lively galaxy !

Create your character, your ship and start as a merchant, a pirate, a freelancer or an explorator. Achieve greatness by ruling your own space empire, establishing colonies, space stations and managing your fleet of spaceships, or stay as a witness while the galaxy is turmoiling in conflicts.

It was formerly called "War industry" when the project started.

[...]

How the project started ?
It started the 10th april 2020, during national lockdown (COVID-19). I developped a physics and liquid engines and saw how it could be potentially used for many game concepts.

This project is more than just a game, it is also a game engine, allowing to develop many other games, be it a god sim or a RPG or anything else.

Why I need your help and how I will allocate the funds?
To be fair, I could make that game on my own pace, like I currently do, coding it after work. But I want to make something with enormous content and replayability. For such ambition, I will need to hire some talents in areas I am lacking skills. (Mostly artistics)

So the fund allocation is quite simple and straightforward. As I will keep my job, I won't have to deal with the money burnrate or have a tight business plan. The important thing is that I occupy all the key developpement roles myself. So more funds will basically means more contents, in a very flexible way.

Key budget allocation (after tax and administrative operations)

-Graphic assets (pixel art), priority to tier reward completition.

-Generic assets packs (sounds, tools, third party code etc...).

-Professional translation and proofreading of textual element

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I find all of the bad English charming.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Thread is dead.

Also, for that particular project, I might look at it if he managed to get it to release on his own, but that's a hell no on crowdfunding it from me.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

StrixNebulosa posted:

Antimatter

Glad to see some people actually enjoyed their Covid lockdown.

Yeah it looks great, but I'm a bit worried that he says he is really ambitious for his game and hence why he needs funding. Heck I would already play something that looks like the current stage of development; I'm afraid he will try to cram always more stuff in his game like a living economy, working ecosystems, erosion, etc, etc.. and never finish it.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

Antimatter

Kickstarter Gaming: more funds will basically means more contents, in a very flexible way

E: or 'I will need to hire some talents in areas I am lacking skills'. It's a great pitch, thread content wise.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Megazver posted:

Thread is dead.

I'm still following it, just not much that interests me since the CRPG revival moved on from KS.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The guys who made the Long War mod for XCOM have started their own project.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/terrainvicta/terra-invicta

It seems like a good idea with some big scope. My only criticism is that their "publisher" seems really sketchy.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Demiurge4 posted:

]It seems like a good idea with some big scope. My only criticism is that their "publisher" seems really sketchy.
It's obviously just a shell company for the "angel investors" to have as an intermediary. That doesn't really help their pitch any, but I wouldn't call it sketchy as I'm sure they're well aware that the "publisher" is a Mckinsey guy who likes video games and was brought in for project management. Their incredibly low goal is much sketchier.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The game itself seems fine but I am not into the "low-budget eastern european pc game from 2010" character portraits. poo poo just looks bad.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The game itself seems fine but I am not into the "low-budget eastern european pc game from 2010" character portraits. poo poo just looks bad.

Strong "... and our South America correspondent joins us live from the scene" vibes from those portraits.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
For those of you who remember the Retro VGS/Coleco Chameleon debacle, someone has written a book about it and wants to get it released, just needs to pay for the legal fees:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mikejames/smoke-and-mirrors-0

If you listen to the Retro Gaming Roundup podcast you've seen this play out for years, they were investors in the project who got screwed over and have been covering it from the beginning so there should be a lot of good and entertaining inside info that they're ready to finally release. If you haven't really followed the project other than the occasional news story talking about it being a scam, you'll be amazed at just how big a mess this project was. Should be a good read either way!

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Original_Z posted:

For those of you who remember the Retro VGS/Coleco Chameleon debacle, someone has written a book about it and wants to get it released, just needs to pay for the legal fees:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mikejames/smoke-and-mirrors-0

If you listen to the Retro Gaming Roundup podcast you've seen this play out for years, they were investors in the project who got screwed over and have been covering it from the beginning so there should be a lot of good and entertaining inside info that they're ready to finally release. If you haven't really followed the project other than the occasional news story talking about it being a scam, you'll be amazed at just how big a mess this project was. Should be a good read either way!

So people involved in a project which was a kickstarter scam, want people to back a kickstarter project about the scam.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Star Command was funded in july 2012 and has yet to see a full release, but the developers just released an update saying that they are essentially bugfixing at this point. After 8 years I am not sure what to expect, but I
respect that they are still working on the game after all this time.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/starcommand/star-command-kickstart-part-2-the-pc-mac-space-adv/posts/2870291

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Anyone else remember Octopus City Blues? It funded around 2013 and was initially looking to be a simple little retro-style pixel art adventure game about a weird tentacle city. Several years and many hilarious themed updates later, it seems to have blossomed into some kind of much more complicated affair with day/night cycles, a gossip system, and who knows what else at this point.

The latest update put out a call for demo testers: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ghostinabottle/octopus-city-blues/posts/2974930

There's a short slice they're looking for feedback on. Based on this quick look, it definitely seems to have developed the kind of awesome, development-crushing feature creep that's been hinted at in fragments throughout the years.

I don't think they're being strict at all about who to send it out to. I'm a backer, but didn't have to confirm it or anything, and the dev was really appreciative of the short video playthrough I did and uploaded to Youtube.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i can only hope i'm still alive and own a computer when octopus city blues finally releases

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Here's another weird interesting game kickstarter:

https://twitter.com/playthroughline/status/1315586578677366784

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

That one actually does look like kinda interesting. Also I have to wonder just how big the Sonic The Hedgehog pages will have grown in another three decades :ohdear:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I just backed that one. It seems like the rare project that you can't really imagine getting funding to exist any other way.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/neocore/king-arthur-knights-tale/description looks interesting. They are a proven developer with a decent track record, offering a really interesting, fun sounding game. I've thrown £20 their way. It sounds like it'll be worth that at least.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/skydevilpalm/victory-heat-rally

Super scaler style racing game in the vein of Power Drift. Seems fun but holy poo poo the AI in the demo they offer is not a cakewalk. I was able to beat them but could only manage podium.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 14, 2020

MRA PUA Tay-Tay Fan
Sep 12, 2001
I'm back Bitches
Remember these?

https://www.kongregate.com/games/ConArtists/the-last-stand

https://www.kongregate.com/games/ConArtists/the-last-stand-2

https://www.kongregate.com/games/ConArtists/the-last-stand-union-city

https://www.kongregate.com/games/ConArtists/the-last-stand-dead-zone

Well now they're back, in isometric 3d rogue-lite form.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tlsaftermath/the-last-stand-aftermath/description

twitter full of gameplay gifs here https://twitter.com/ConArtistGames

1 week out and on track to be 65-70% funded at end of KS, $40 gets you a beta key to play 6-8 weeks from end of KS (~8 months ahead of general release).

MRA PUA Tay-Tay Fan fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 14, 2020

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Countryballs Heroes - Polandball ethnic jokes meets HOMM3, in a union designed to perfectly appeal to Eastern European edgelords in their thirties. (I am an Eastern European edgelord in my thirties.)

Megazver fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 16, 2020

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It is impressive just how unappealing they've designed this campaign to be.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
yeah why is Trump fighting the Russians?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
"We want a HOMM3 successor!"

*monkey paw finger curls*