Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

What is it?
Kickstarter is a crowd sourcing website for financing creative projects. It states in its FAQ that "Kickstarter can be used to fund projects from the creative fields of Art, Comics, Dance, Design, Fashion, Film, Food, Games, Music, Photography, Publishing, Technology, and Theater."

How does it work for developers?
1. You have an awesome idea that totally deserves funding (Note: Requires you to be associated with a US Bank to start a project)
2. Post project idea/details on Kickstarter, asking for a specific amount of money in a specific amount of time (generally a month).
2-a. There are different levels of backing, each with its own prize. It seems like the top is always meeting the team or something and the bottom is getting the game on release.
3. People promise to give you their hard earned cash at the end of the period
4. You get money at the end of the time period if you rose more than/equal the amount specified. If you don't hit it, you get nothing and the backers aren't charged a dime.

How does it work for the plebspledgers?
1. You find a project you like
2. You click "Back This Project" button
3. Select your pledge amount as well as what tier you'd want to be rewarded for (so you could donate $10 and choose $1 tier)
4. Get redirected to Amazon where you input payment method and then Amazon puts a $1 hold on your card to prove you're real
4-a. You can cancel your pledge at any time by going to "Change pledge amount" and there's an option at the bottom of the screen.
5. Funding period ends, and you're charged the rest of the money if the project succeeded in getting all of its funding.

Is this a scam?
While some people might say yes and while it's been around for 5 years with not a ton of press/big names, after the success that is Double Fine Adventure generating $3,336,371 in the month it had (which is 834% more than asked for), it has exploded with popularity. Now it seems like a bunch of big named developers are following suit and joining the mass of other developers and small projects that are Kickstarters base. Payment is handled through Amazon.

Still sounds like a scam
It has helped tons of people with their projects that would otherwise have never gotten the funding they would have needed. It also showcases the insanity that are "idea people" and their kickin rad games. Listed below are the games of the moment as well as all-time great finishers that you'll totally be buying once they actually finish. As well as the games that think they're awesome pitches, but are rather stupid. And a couple that are uh...got funded and could be made? Everyone wants a chance to be funded to make video games and not worry on alpha-funding or publishers.

What about IndieGoGo?
Indiegogo is very similar to Kickstarter with two major differences. One: It's open to people outside the US making projects. Two: If a project fails to meet the goal, they still keep whatever was raised. This means the project ends up being far more scammy in nature than Kickstarter as people pray on the weak minded. I would suggest never going there to donate unless there's a well known project or something.

Master_Odin fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies
Notable Ongoing Projects
Defense Grid 2 - $250,000 Goal. Ending 8/14.
Castle Story - $80,000 Goal. Ending 8/26. FUNDED
Knock Knock - $30,000 Goal. Ending 9/11. (from the makers of Void, Pathalogic, and Cargo)
Volgarr the Viking - $18,000 Goal. Ending 8/23. FUNDED
Expeditions: Conquistador - $70,000 Goal. Ending 9/12.
Flight of the Wisp - $10,000 Goal. Ending 9/5.
Epic Skater - $50,000 Goal. Ending 9/6.
Rack n Ruin - $30,000 Goal. Ending 8/31.

Notable Funded Projects
Double Fine Adventure - Raised $3,336,371 for Tim Schafer to eat.
No Time to Explain - Cute flash game gone big. Set their goal in the couple thousand range, got it, and are porting their dream to the world.
Octodad 2 - Because convincing your human family that you're totally human is important and that these kinds of things getting sequels is important.
Idle Thumbs Podcast - Because it's the best gaming podcast or something. Goon beloved especially with their game Gravity Bones.
FTL: Faster Than Light - Hit it's goal 20 times. Look for it on Steam and shoot some space people. (SA Thread)
Auditorium 2: Duet - More music all the time.
Hardcore Tactical Shooter Takedown - Guess we won't see the first big product fail, even if the game started as a "Prove people want this kind of game" and then made a pitch for an actual game later on. (SA Thread)
Wasteland 2 - $2,933,252 is the price nostalgia this good commands. (SA Thread)
The Banner Saga - At 700% funding (700,000), a goon working on it, and the viking locale, it looks pretty drat awesome. (SA Thread)
Yogventures - Gamers making Game Making Game featured Beards
Nekro - $100,000 Goal. Ending 5/4.
Valdis Story: Abyssal City - Legend of Fae dudes making a game, woop.
Leisure Suit Larry - $650,000 worth of dirty jokes being remade here
The Dead Linger - $60,000 Goal. Ending 4/29.
Shadowrun Returns - $400,000 Goal. Ending 4/29.(SA Thread)
Grim Dawn - Proving in the world of Diablo 3, people will still pay $500,000 for an old-school RPG that's totally awesome sounding (SA Thread)
Jane Jensen's Pinkerton Road - Funded two games from Gabriel Knight woman for her new studio for $435,000 isn't shabby (SA Thread)
Legends of Eisenwald - Awesome looking game that looks really rad and I'm personally looking forward to it and it's medieval vibe.
Kinetic Void - Kickstarting goon games is the best use of kickstarter(SA Thread)
Xenonauts - $50,000 Goal. Ending 6/10. FUNDED
Makey Makey - $25,000 Goal. Ending 6/12. FUNDED
Spaceventure - $500,000 Goal. Ending 6/12. (SA Thread)
Carmageddon: Reincarnation - $400,000 Goal. Ending 6/6. FUNDED
Tex Murphy: Project Fedora - $450,000 Goal. Ending 6/16. FUNDED
Zombie Playground - $167,590 tech demo coming up!
Dead State - The Zombie Survival RPG - Hit reach goal for pet allies. Mission accomplished! (SA Thread)
CLANG - Because sword games haven't felt right yet and this will be fix things for a tune of $500,000. I think Gabe liked it as well or something?
Ouya - $8.5 million is a lot of bucks for a linux console. Here's hoping it's pretty neat. (SA Thread)
Moon Intern - $30,000 Goal. Ending 8/7. FUNDED
Jack Houston and the Necronauts - $56,000 Goal. Ending 8/9. FUNDED

Hall of Mockery
Your World - Millionaire needs your funding to make this totally rad MMORPG that will do everything right. Game for gamers by gamers. It's also got the most amazing website ever.
Tempus Chronicle - Weekly gamisodes of the most old-school RPG as no other RPG has come close to being old school. They're also asking for $200,000.
Class of Heroes 2 - Asking for $500,000 for a better localization for a sequel to a crummy game. Also, the first reward for getting the game comes at $50 and that's physical, for a system going purely digital. How not to do the whole Kickstarter thing.
Left to Rot new RPG & FPS GENRE!!!! - Yes, the RPG & FPS stuff is actually in the title. They also seem to not realize that failing to reach your goal means they get nothing. Also that donations should be used to attend E3. Silly weird developers.
Multi-Platform Video Game Release - Buzzword buzzword video game buzzword. Also, donating money and get kung-fu lessons brooooo
Quest Remnants - Fund a $500,000 MMORPG by a group of friends that have no prior credentials and have no concept of "over ambitious".

Hall of Uh...
Ron Paul: Road to Revolution - a guy gets $10,000 to develop a flash game, with Ron Paul being a Waluigi sprite. Funding had better be in bitcoins.
Match & Magic - Proving mothers are the best way to escape publishers and will give you $10,000 to make your dream.

Master_Odin fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 10, 2012

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I'm still amazed mr. Tim Schafer went and begged money from the internet.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Everyone keep donating to Wasteland 2 so we get a bigger game :allears:

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
If the last decade of PC gaming is any indication, then begging publishers for money is just not working anymore.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Our very own Chewbot is making a game, The Banner Project or something. Look it up, I'm posting mobile so linking is a lot of effort ATM. It's basically Oregon Trail King of Dragon Pass with SRPG combat. Also, Vikings :black101:

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Captain Walker posted:

Our very own Chewbot is making a game, The Banner Project or something. Look it up, I'm posting mobile so linking is a lot of effort ATM. It's basically Oregon Trail King of Dragon Pass with SRPG combat. Also, Vikings :black101:

It looks amazing, and they will likely have my money when it is done, but I have kick started and alpha funded enough projects for the time being. I can't say that I'm not tempted, but I need to drawn the line somewhere right?

Stupid sexy Vikings making me want to give you my money...

Hostile Rabbi
Jun 25, 2005

by Ralp
The Banner Saga Kickstarter
The SA thread

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

Captain Walker posted:

Linked. It just oozes such charm in its drawn style :allears:

I'm so glad that Kickstarter is getting popular and giving a chance to these projects that would have otherwise been dead in the water because publishers only want AAA these days and indie projects for people on the side seem to fizzle off far too much.

I used the wrong post icon for the thread. Is my shame to be eternal for it or can a mod help me out and fix it to something better?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

There's also Hardcore Tactical Shooter, but I don't think it has any chance to succeed.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Ever since Schafer's success I've been waiting for the Golden Age of people asking for tons of money and delivering pure, unadulterated garbage or just straight up running with the cash.

Seriously. As someone who firmly believes no game that's sold alpha access has come close to being a complete game I just cannot believe we've reached a point where people throw money hand over fist for a handful of promises and dreams. At least with games like M&M or Minecraft you get a half finished game that you can dick around but with this it's like getting a handful of farts and pixie dust.

I'm just far too cynical for this kind of game development :(

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
"Your World" should be the Bob Ross MMO

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Det_no posted:

Ever since Schafer's success I've been waiting for the Golden Age of people asking for tons of money and delivering pure, unadulterated garbage or just straight up running with the cash.

Seriously. As someone who firmly believes no game that's sold alpha access has come close to being a complete game I just cannot believe we've reached a point where people throw money hand over fist for a handful of promises and dreams. At least with games like M&M or Minecraft you get a half finished game that you can dick around but with this it's like getting a handful of farts and pixie dust.

I'm just far too cynical for this kind of game development :(

It's hard to be mad it's happening though, because games that wouldn't get made otherwise are being made, and if they do end up being decent you can always buy them when they're on Steam later.

I also can't say I'm extremely eager to pre-fund projects after doing it several times and seeing lackluster results (Minecraft, Project Zomboid).

Unfortunately I bet once there are a couple of high-profile failures of the Kickstarter model people won't be investing as freely.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

I am the idea man. I think it, get other investors, and hire the right people to make it happen. Been playing games since Pong. I know what I like and what others have said they would like. I will hire those needed to make it a reality

-Ellwood Bartlett, creator of future #1 MMO "Your World"

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's hard to be mad it's happening though, because games that wouldn't get made otherwise are being made, and if they do end up being decent you can always buy them when they're on Steam later.

I also can't say I'm extremely eager to pre-fund projects after doing it several times and seeing lackluster results (Minecraft, Project Zomboid).

Unfortunately I bet once there are a couple of high-profile failures of the Kickstarter model people won't be investing as freely.
The first being Hardcore Tactical Shooter? Except how heavy of an internet following did it get? Considering how much coverage Tim Schafer got for his kickstarter, it's interesting to note that you really don't hear much about any project through it.

Though, there are some pretty terrible projects that either look terrible or do a terrible job of selling their game. Tempus Chronicle made me laugh promising to be a better RPG than anything released recently.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Det_no posted:

I've kicked in $10 or $15 on 3 of these so far, if I end up out $15 I can live with it. I've bought plenty of $60 AAA masterpieces that were unfinished garbage before, so it's not like there isn't risk involved in buying a "finished" product.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Master_Odin posted:

Though, there are some pretty terrible projects that either look terrible or do a terrible job of selling their game. Tempus Chronicle made me laugh promising to be a better RPG than anything released recently.

Someone pledged $10k for a game that's being made in RPGMaker?

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

TOOT BOOT posted:

But you get to work closely to make one full gamisode!

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Do we want games to be art and well made, or do we want them to be designed to reap the greatest sales, be bland and be generically boring?

Individuals and groups at large have sponsored artists throughout history, I see this as no different. Donate to your favorite game!(Ie Wasteland 2) today!

Diogines fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 20, 2012

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
How much does Kickstarter and taxes take away? Over half?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

TOOT BOOT posted:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that was just seed money by the developers themselves to get the kickstarter moving along.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

It was an idle thumbs troll pledge iirc

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Rascyc posted:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that was just seed money by the developers themselves to get the kickstarter moving along.

Just pretend I said what you quoted, a second time.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

Prorat posted:

Kickstarter Website posted:

Fees Top ↑
What fees does Kickstarter charge?
If a project is successfully funded, Kickstarter will apply a 5% fee to the funds raised. If funding isn't successful, there are no charges.

Does Amazon charge any fees?
Yes. When a project is successful, Amazon will apply credit card processing fees, which work out to roughly 3-5%. For details on how the fee is calculated, please view the Amazon Payments fee details.

Does it cost money to list a project on Kickstarter?
No, starting a project is free.

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm a little skeptical of all of this to be honest. This is basically how the indie scene worked before, except now this website acts as a middle-man.

The whole appeal of independent game development was that projects were based off of a genuine creative spark, and money was a non-issue. The dude who made Ancient Domains of Mystery asked people to send him post-cards if they enjoyed the (free to play) game; Tarn Adams lives day-to-day on money people donate, simply because the fan-base knows he is engaged in the creation of something incredible. In my mind, it's ridiculous that a for-profit company has people lining up to throw money at a project that may-or-may-not be, and all they can expect is a chance to play the game once it (maybe) is released.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Christian Allen's Hardcore Tactical Shooter, probably the first of the big name kickstarters that won't reach its goal.

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Master_Odin posted:

Tempus Chronicle made me laugh promising to be a better RPG than anything released recently.
No don't you see, by releasing innovative gamisodes each week the quality of the content will SKYROCKET and allow you to become more immersed in their world and their deep, deep characters!

I'm actually surprised they didn't say "LOOK TV SHOWS MAKE GOOD STUFF EACH WEEK" as well cause gently caress; how can that not be atrociously bad?

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Master_Odin posted:

A podcast that used Kickstarter said that a huge chunk of the money went to Kickstarter and Taxes. They just never said how much.

I bet Uncle Sam takes 40%.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

Christian Allen's Hardcore Tactical Shooter, probably the first of the big name kickstarters that won't reach its goal.

Which is unfortunate, I'd really like a good tactical shooter again. I just saw a video of Ghost Recon Future Soldier and it literally looks like they dropped almost all the tactical stuff in favor of another Call of Duty clone. It's too bad people seem to attribute "Tactical Shooter" with Call of Duty now too.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

Prorat posted:

I think someone in the Your World thread said Kickstarter takes about 7%.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Saoshyant posted:

Which is too bad. The kind of game they're talking about would be awesome.

It probably didn't help when they launched or how the 200k isn't actually to make the game (how could it? It's only 200k) but to show that there's interest in the game and so they can hire people. There doesn't seem to be a guarantee at all. Not that there ever is, but at least you know Doublefine is good for it.

That said, I still funded it because I want a game like this again.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Prorat posted:

I bet Uncle Sam takes 40%.

Mmm yes, the "business loan tax", otherwise known as

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

As much as I like developers finding alternative means of funding I can't bring myself to donate to these projects. Even the best developer can turn out a bad game and there's always a possibility that the developer just haven't budgeted correctly and the game doesn't get made. In these cases I'd rather be a consumer than an investor. I want something concrete before I put my money down.

I do wish the best for these projects and have my fingers crossed that Wasteland 2 and whatever Double Fine makes will be great, I just wanted to put another perspective out there on funding through Kickstarter.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Kinetic Void will be doing a kickstarter either the end of next month, or the following. we will use it for our licencing, and marketing.

Thread on the project.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3464522

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

If kickstarter can pull off a loving restaurant without stealing money, I think games will be okay.

Then again, this game totally took the money and ran: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/149077132/kentucky-route-zero-a-magic-realist-adventure-game

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

If I can be honest, I'm kind of concerned about Wasteland 2.

Their reward tiers include in-game content. Not in the sense that everyone who gives X dollars gets free DLC, but in the sense that every person who gives $1000 or more get to be content in the game. NMA, for instance, is raising money for a No Mutants Allowed bar that, if the money is raised, will show up in the game. The other 100 people at the thousand dollar level will get to be NPCs or unique items or locations in the game, and that's not even counting the 200 people who give $2500 or higher who get to add unique items to the game with user-written descriptions.

I can understand the impulse to reward these contributors and celebrate their contributions, but I'm worried that, in this case, the easter-eggy, fourth wall breaking crap might overwhelm actual interesting content.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

The problem about Kickstarter for video games is that you have to wait years to get a tangible result, unlike designing and manufacturing a watch or iPhone case. I doubt the interest in these projects will last much longer, at least until the first funded game gets released.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

DemonNick posted:

If I can be honest, I'm kind of concerned about Wasteland 2.

Their reward tiers include in-game content. Not in the sense that everyone who gives X dollars gets free DLC, but in the sense that every person who gives $1000 or more get to be content in the game. NMA, for instance, is raising money for a No Mutants Allowed bar that, if the money is raised, will show up in the game. The other 100 people at the thousand dollar level will get to be NPCs or unique items or locations in the game, and that's not even counting the 200 people who give $2500 or higher who get to add unique items to the game with user-written descriptions.

I can understand the impulse to reward these contributors and celebrate their contributions, but I'm worried that, in this case, the easter-eggy, fourth wall breaking crap might overwhelm actual interesting content.

At first I was thinking 95% of this would be stashed away in some in-game easter egg area... but yeah...

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I think it's way more likely that NMA will be crying about their character being hidden away on a corner of the map rather than us crying about it being an essential part of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

If it becomes too much they'll probably do the Fallout 2 approach and make a bar in the middle of nowhere stuffed with easter egg characters.