Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I also thought it was kind of funny that they admit the funding will just bring the game to alpha, and none of the tiers offer any kind of pre-release access to the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Christian Allen did drop by the Wasteland 2 comment section to apologize for the spammers, which was nice.

Notch tweeted about Takedown an hour ago, and contributed to that final push.

I'm with you on the mild disappointment. Even revamped, Takedown had a weak pitch with little to show. I'll be happy if a decent game comes of it, but even with the successful Kickstarter I'm skeptical.

Rebel Blob fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 1, 2012

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Wow, if only Metacell 2 could get that kind of attention. At least they eventually put up more info about their game.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

e: oh hey Valdis Story met their goal and apparently are adding a new playable character and a Mac version at launch http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/460275866/valdis-story-abyssal-city

Oh whoa, why wasn't this in the OP! Lazy OP. :argh:

Their last game, Legend of Fae was a really cute/neat little match three style game that I really ended up liking, and while I didn't agree with all the gameplay choices, the devs defended why they made the game the way they did by explaining the gameplay choices indepth, and I really liked that.

Glad to see them doing good on Kickstarter, any reason why this isn't in the OP though before I send them some cash?

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 1, 2012

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Rookersh posted:

Their last game, Legend of Fae was a really cute/neat little match three style game that I really ended up liking, and while I didn't agree with all the gameplay choices, the devs defended why they made the game the way they did by explaining the gameplay choices indepth, and I really liked that.

Got a link to this? I'm currently playing through it and getting a little burned out to tell you the truth.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The Tacticlol Shooter ended up with $221,833. God help these people.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

The Tacticlol Shooter ended up with $221,833. God help these people.

The thing that confuses me is that they're clear that they're asking money so that they can prove to other people, who aren't publishers, that they're worth investing in. I get the idea/concept, and I understand its sometimes the way things work (although in the game industry?), but in the Kickstarter format how does that not sound like a rip-off or shady deal?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
If the resulting game is less tactilol and more SWAT 4 I'll give them money then but for what they're doing they're probably, what, three years out from any sort of product?

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Ugh I really hope something good actually comes out of that but man I really doubt it.

Everything about that kickstarter page makes me question if these guys actually have a drat plan for what they are doing. It's like "HEY GUYS GIVE US TONS OF MONEY AND THEN UHHHH... GAMES? SWAT 4 WAS GREAT!!"

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I would have been really excited about the game if they had an interesting setting for it rather than being the police or the military or some combination thereof. I like tacticlol and a million ak variants I just loathe canned missions and tactics without an `overworld' strategy component.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Well if its tactilol doesn't that pretty much limit it to police/SWAT/military/etc? What else is there?

e: although some sort of futuristic tactilol with fake laser guns and poo poo done up with :spergin: detail as if they were real would be kind of fun

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

If it truly is like SWAT then nonlethal is way more important. You won't see tons of assault rifles and AKs since everyones gonna be rolling LTL shotguns and pepperball guns.

"Tactical" and tactical like SWAT are two very different things. That being said I think this game will end up being a basic as poo poo "tactical" military shooter.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
Maybe he thinks everything has to be speculative fiction.
I didn't donate but I'm letting myself hope something good in the vein of SWAT 4 comes out of it. I also won't be that surprised if it's crap, though.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

randombattle posted:

If it truly is like SWAT then nonlethal is way more important. You won't see tons of assault rifles and AKs since everyones gonna be rolling LTL shotguns and pepperball guns.

Yeah that's true. Man was SWAT an awesome game. Rolling deep shotgunning doors open and stinger-grenading a room full of dudes never got old. Or, you know, limping around pathetically hunting the last bad guy in vain while the rest of your squad is scattered around the map dead.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Yodzilla posted:

Well if its tactilol doesn't that pretty much limit it to police/SWAT/military/etc? What else is there?

e: although some sort of futuristic tactilol with fake laser guns and poo poo done up with :spergin: detail as if they were real would be kind of fun

There are tactical games where you aren't in the military (or at least you don't have the immense logistical support of the modern military). There just aren't tactical shooters like that.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
I just want a remade and updated Rainbow Six. If this is what this game is, only called "Takedown" I would be happy.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

It generated like 40,000 in the last hour. Unreal.

Buzzman
Feb 21, 2011
Next big one coming up! Leisure Suit Larry by Al Lowe!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I've always thought of Al Lowe as the unfunny Tim Schafer.

.DAT Azz
Jan 8, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Did anyone even like Leisure Suit Larry or did we just feel naughty because most of us were children?

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Dixie Flatline posted:

Did anyone even like Leisure Suit Larry or did we just feel naughty because most of us were children?

Yes. Before Big got the license, they were a series of pretty good adventure games with a more "adult but completely immature" bent. That said, there's really no place for the franchise in this era. Aside from adventure games being really niche, this doesn't really seem to fit a modern viewpoint of gaming and storytelling in games.

It's like an even more dated Duke Nukem Forever.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Dixie Flatline posted:

Little bit of both. Believe it or not, there were actual good jokes hidden in those games (not to be found most everywhere, but they were there). It's certainly got my money, if only because I'd want to see how Lowe would design a game in this day and age.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

I guess Al Lowe and Replay failed to find a backer in the last six months. They announced this game last October, including all the art assets they have up on the Kickstarter page, aside from the video.

Man, I like Al Lowe, but he hasn't been relevant in a long time. Then it's a remake with not-so-great art direction and asking for half a million. I guess we'll see how far nostalgia will take you.

I do like how subtle he was about the issue of piracy, enough to remind people that they probably pirated the game back in the day, without pushing guilt.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
I don't know whether to put this under notable ongoing projects or hall of mockery as this guy hasn't been relevant for quite some time, but then again, it was pretty loved back in the day. But this could just be another DNF were the world has just moved on from this kind of game.

That, and the $500,000 price tag to fulfill some serious nostalgia.

Master_Odin fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 2, 2012

Lobst
Mar 28, 2002

~HUG LIFE~
Eh, LSL has a certain bawdy flavor to it you really don't find elsewhere. There's a reason the series sold well until that Team17 installment nobody likes to talk about. I almost think this kickstarter would be worth it just to have Larry's last note be from its creator, and not the idiots who apprehended the license and tried to turn it into American Pie.

I think they're being pretty overzealous by talking about what they'll do after they meet their goal, though. As much as I love Al Lowe, he hasn't been spending the last decade building up fan goodwill the way Double Fine have. :jerkbag:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Master_Odin posted:

I don't know whether to put this under notable ongoing projects or hall of mockery as this guy hasn't been relevant for quite some time, but then again, it was pretty loved back in the day. But this could just be another DNF were the world has just moved on from this kind of game.

That, and the $500,000 price tag to fulfill some serious nostalgia."
DNF didn't fail because Duke isn't relevant any more, it failed because it was a bad game.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Why are people making GBS threads on LSL? It's a good game and way better than Kings Quest. I dont even think yall played it.

Valen
Oct 1, 2009
The VGA remake of the first LSL game was a fairly solid point and click adventure game. They kind of started to fall apart after that with making up bullshit ways to kill the player for missing easily miss-able stuff but the first one was fairly light on that as I recall. I'm not sure how well half a mil for a remake of a remake of a game, that has been done or almost done for half a year will go over. With any luck it'll lead to a new Al Lowe-made game but I don't know if I can justify dropping money on this particular one.

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY
Okay, can we put the kibosh on the word "nostalgia", at least as it relates to Kickstarter worries? It seems to be the go-to word for anybody who isn't interested in a game's particular niche. Around the interwebs there's a lot of handwringing over the fact that devs are targeting specialized audiences, but that's part of what Kickstarter's for. If the world has "moved on" from this kind of thing, then that's fine: I'll just be one of the small subset of people that haven't (point-and-clicks, old-school CRPGs, text adventures maybe?). If there's so much worry about whether or not somebody's going to like the end result, isn't that their lookout? Lord knows there are enough Let's Plays and reviews online of these kinds of games that you'd know what you're getting in for long before you drop some cash.

That having been said, $500 grand seems steep, and I'd much rather see a new Larry. The seedy desperation of the first game is not nearly as lighthearted and fun as Love for Sail! which is not only the best Larry game by a country mile, but one of the best point-and-clicks ever made.

Shadley Puffin fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 2, 2012

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Leisure Suit Larry is awesome and for a full reimagining of 1-7 it's well worth the investment especially if you never played them. It's unrepentant no-brow humor and if you're too good for it, shame on you.

That said I do think it's a little unreasonable that you have to pledge 500 loving dollars to get the hardcover version of the art book.

VVVVVVVVV

In this case yes shame on you

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 2, 2012

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

signalnoise posted:

Leisure Suit Larry is awesome and for a full reimagining of 1-7 it's well worth the investment especially if you never played them. It's unrepentant no-brow humor and if you're too good for it, shame on you.

Yeah, shame on you for not liking something that I like!

Edit: I'm not backing it if for no other reason than the art direction looks amateurish and unappealing to me. There are other reasons, but that's my main one.

mutata fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 2, 2012

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Honestly they really are asking too much for what they're offering. If they were going ahead with LSL1-3 I could see giving a lot more of a poo poo but LSL1 has a VGA version already. I would love to see all of them redone but it ain't happening.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

the black husserl posted:

Why are people making GBS threads on LSL? It's a good game and way better than Kings Quest. I dont even think yall played it.
I like LSL and Al Lowe, but I have don't see the appeal of another remake of the same game. It's all speculation, but I wonder how well Brian Fargo would have done if he pitched a remake of the original Wasteland instead of Wasteland 2.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

signalnoise posted:

Honestly they really are asking too much for what they're offering. If they were going ahead with LSL1-3 I could see giving a lot more of a poo poo but LSL1 has a VGA version already. I would love to see all of them redone but it ain't happening.

This would have been a good opportunity to finally release 4. Unless of course they intentionally skipped it as a joke? Still confused about that one.

That said the entire LSL series was one of the best and only second to Space Quest IMO. Love these games, I still have the old 2' collection boxes of SQ and LSL. KQ can suck a donkey.

.DAT Azz
Jan 8, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Replay Games are a shovelware company who bought the rights and then got Al Lowe involved. It seems to me they're just hiding behind him for credibility. If Al Lowe really cared he'd be kickstarting that Sam Suede:Undercover exposure game he was designing but never got a publisher for.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Toadsniff posted:

This would have been a good opportunity to finally release 4. Unless of course they intentionally skipped it as a joke? Still confused about that one.

Al Lowe said he would never make a LSL4. Sooooooo....

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

Dixie Flatline posted:

Replay Games are a shovelware company who bought the rights and then got Al Lowe involved. It seems to me they're just hiding behind him for credibility. If Al Lowe really cared he'd be kickstarting that Sam Suede:Undercover exposure game he was designing but never got a publisher for.

As far as I can tell, four of their founders worked all worked for Sierra, one of which all the way back from the start, two of them had hands in the Gabriel Knight series, and one of them even worked for SirTech on the Wizardry series. If anything, it sounds like they brought on Al Lowe because they wanted to work on LSL, not just hiding behind him for credibility, since at least a couple people there were with Sierra longer than Lowe himself.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
Apparently, after LSL, they might want to do Space Quest remakes.

Replay Games posted:

@Perdition - we're way ahead of you!! Scott is ready to jump on board, we already spoke to him. Mark, however, can't since he works for Foundation 9, a developer / publisher and he would have a "conflict of interest" as he put it. Having said that, however, the last game, Space Quest 6, was all Scott & Josh (no Mark Crowe involvement) so we think we can hold pretty true to the SQ franchise with those two geniuses on board. We're in the middle of negotiating the rights for King's Quest as well as Space Quest & Police Quest too. :) It all depends on the success of this first game, though.....everybody wants to see how much demand is out there.

Interesting stuff.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

the black husserl posted:

King's Quest is just kind of proof of how important getting there first is. Roberta Williams deserves full credit for getting that whole genre started, but she really can't write for cold beans on toast. Track down a copy of the Official King's Quest Book for proof.

EDIT: It is kind of strange to think that they already did a "HD" version of LSL back around... what, 1994 at the latest?

redmercer fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Master_Odin posted:

Apparently, after LSL, they might want to do Space Quest remakes.

I grew up on Sierra games, and have a lot of fond memories of Space Quest. But I don't have much interest in a remake. Give me a NEW Space Quest or Quest for Glory game or something and I'm on board.

But the same old game with higher res graphics?

Meh. Not kickstarting that.