Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Parenthesis posted:

Just got an update from Tangiers.

TL;DR:
2016 was a crap year and the project did not progress much. They are still plugging away at it, and claim that 2017 will be more productive.

There is also a video.

I still believe in Tangiers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I guess I'm a little late but here's my backed list:

Delivered
Horse World Online - I backed this for not much because I thought it was funny but apparently it exists.
Heart&Slash - Pretty solid.
RimWorld - Still in Early Access I think but you can play it and it's good.
Obduction - Game is a great spiritual successor to the Myst series.
Death Road to Canada - Kind of hilarious how much this was delayed but you never got the feeling it had been abandoned.
Neverending Nightmares - Haven't actually played this.
Dungeonmans - People like this game but I just can't play this style of roguelike with no auto-explore. So tedious.
Our Darker Purpose - Lost interest before this was released and haven't played it.
Combat Cats - This game released very quickly and was fun for a bit but basically an unremarkable phone game.
HEX MMO Trading Card Game - This game is cool and good but I'm pretty much done with it at this point. It's an online TCG very similar to Magic for all the good and bad that entails.
Risk of Rain - People like this game but I completely bounced off it after giving it a few honest tries.
Divinity: Original Sin - I just couldn't get into this. Apparently I have to get a bunch of exp from the semi-wacky in town dialog before I'm strong enough to actually do the combat. Highly regarded though.
Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey - Pretty solid adventure game.
Strike Suit Zero - Delivered very quickly to middling reviews but I really liked it.
SolForge Digital Trading Card Game - Is being shut down and a few weeks, but it has been playable in a good state for years. I'd probably be bitter about it if I had actually bought any microtransactions.

In Development
Wizard of Legend - Looks to be going well.
Mable & The Wood - Looks to be going well.
Night In The Woods - Releasing soon, probably going to be a tumblr sensation.
Stonehearth - This has been delayed massively, but you've been able to play it for awhile if you like early access and development is still active.
DELVER’S DROP - Massive delays but the devs are still giving updates. Dunno if it will ever see the light of day.
Torment: Tides of Numenera - Releasing soon, looks impressive at least.
Happy Hell - I was skeptical of this from the start but it was cheap and I really want it to exist. The dev is still giving updates so who knows.

Failed
Moon Rift - Dev ghosted
Unwritten: That Which Happened - I backed this back when I thought "I wonder how they'll ever turn that into a game" was intriguing and not a warning signal.
Artizens - They had some playable versions, but the game was super ambitious and I don't think community interest ever really materialized after the KS.

lol
Kologeon - Complete bait and switch.
Unsung Story: Tale of the Guardians - The pitch seems more or less abandoned in favor of some sort of competitive MP game that will never have an active community. Also massively delayed.
TUG - Backed during the post Double Fine Adventure boom. This has been in development forever and I think even playable at points. It's also the official Yogventure apology consolation prize I guess? I don't know what the current state is but I still get occasional updates.

Not a bad success rate, even though I've always viewed KS as a gamble rather than a pre-order. I've also backed some board games and art books which have all delivered, or are on track, albeit with the ubiquitous kickstarter delays.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jan 16, 2017

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The Moon Monster posted:

Failed
Unwritten: That Which Happened - I backed this back when I thought "I wonder how they'll ever turn that into a game" was intriguing and not a warning signal.

In fairness to the Unwritten team, as I remember it, didn't that one fail due to crippling medical debts, rather than developer ineptitude?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Kickstarter up for Sundered, a procedural Metroidvania by the devs that made Jotun: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thunderlotus/sundered-a-horrifying-fight-for-survival-and-sanit

quote:

Sundered is a horrifying fight for survival and sanity, a hand­-drawn epic from the creators of Jotun. It is a replayable metroidvania game where you resist or embrace ancient eldritch powers.

You play Eshe, a wanderer in a ruined world, trapped in ever­-changing caverns teeming with eldritch horrors. Harness the power of corrupted relics to defeat gigantic bosses, at the cost of your humanity.

Resist or embrace.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cicero posted:

Kickstarter up for Sundered, a procedural Metroidvania by the devs that made Jotun: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thunderlotus/sundered-a-horrifying-fight-for-survival-and-sanit

A procedural metroidvania sounds like the worst loving thing. Those games live by their level design.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Well they do say it's a 'mix' of procedural and handcrafted stuff.

Also, already made its asking amount. That's fast.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Andrast posted:

A procedural metroidvania sounds like the worst loving thing. Those games live by their level design.

A bunch of functional setpieces with semi-randomized hallways doesn't sound like the worst thing ever, to be honest.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Niton posted:

A bunch of functional setpieces with semi-randomized hallways doesn't sound like the worst thing ever, to be honest.

I loved everything about Necropolis other than exactly that. It ends up feeling samey enough that I'd rather just have it handcrafted and ending at some point. And now I'm probably going to listen to the Necropolis soundtrack all day because it's THAT good.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Rogue Legacy is like that and seems pretty cool, except for how they decided to make things impossibly difficult for a layperson after enough game completions. Or did they fix that?

Still, the game doesn't do anything new for me, and I'm not very likely to back a videogame KS in the first place.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I wish Yacht Club would come out with another kickstarter, I want to throw more money at them.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Cicero posted:

I wish Yacht Club would come out with another kickstarter, I want to throw more money at them.

They are still not done with their first kickstarter.

Hive Jump is coming out of EA access this Tuesday to put that up as any kickstarter success. They actually failed their first kickstarter attempt and then went back and completely redid the artwork for a second try so curious to see how the finish product turns out.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

BexGu posted:

They are still not done with their first kickstarter.

Hive Jump is coming out of EA access this Tuesday to put that up as any kickstarter success. They actually failed their first kickstarter attempt and then went back and completely redid the artwork for a second try so curious to see how the finish product turns out.

How is their economic situation these days? I figure the game coming out made them some cash considering the amount of platforms it came out on but that was a while ago with lots of DLC for backers since then.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

CottonWolf posted:

In fairness to the Unwritten team, as I remember it, didn't that one fail due to crippling medical debts, rather than developer ineptitude?

I'm pretty sure this is true. I can't look right now, but I recall it being like that. The posts admitting defeat were so sad, I felt terrible for them.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

evilmiera posted:

How is their economic situation these days? I figure the game coming out made them some cash considering the amount of platforms it came out on but that was a while ago with lots of DLC for backers since then.

I'd assume decent enough, given that they're still around and they plan on working on a non-Shovel Knight related project sometime this year. Oh, and they're working as an actual publisher now (although so far they've only published one game).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Andrast posted:

That looks awesome, but I have yet to find a game I really enjoy that depends on procedural design. I'm glad they got funded and hope they make it though, I'll still be interested enough to check it out if they get it finished & released.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

That looks awesome, but I have yet to find a game I really enjoy that depends on procedural design.
Have you tried Nuclear Throne?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

evilmiera posted:

They're still doing okay, the game has continued to sell well and they don't discount it often.

They recently announced they'll be changing the pricing model when the new expansion drops - basically, they're restructuring the game into standalone episodes that new customers will have to buy individually, and they'll also be offering a complete version at a higher price (and everyone who already owns the game will be upgraded to the complete version for free).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

they're restructuring the game into standalone episodes that new customers will have to buy individually, and they'll also be offering a complete version at a higher price

Hmm. I'm skeptical of the episodic model, but I'm really skeptical of selling the complete package at a worse price.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Subjunctive posted:

Hmm. I'm skeptical of the episodic model, but I'm really skeptical of selling the complete package at a worse price.

Shovel Knight's been selling for what, 10-15$ for years? And all of the bonus campaigns - which are their own games in their own rights - have been added for free?

I can't knock them for boosting the price to something reasonable after ripping themselves off for so long. Just think of buying it now as a steep discount, and you're golden.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Subjunctive posted:

The announced Switch port will only be available under the new pricing model, so I guess that'll be the ultimate test.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Shovel Knight's been selling for what, 10-15$ for years? And all of the bonus campaigns - which are their own games in their own rights - have been added for free?

I can't knock them for boosting the price to something reasonable after ripping themselves off for so long. Just think of buying it now as a steep discount, and you're golden.

It's not just that they weren't taking money for the extra campaign, they also couldn't get people to review/cover it and couldn't get storefronts to feature it because it was a free update and not an expansion or standalone thing - they were putting effort into content that many people didn't even see, let alone play.

(They've only released one campaign so far - they have one due early this year, with another campaign and a local multiplayer mode still to come. The one major downside to the way they've handled the game is they've gone way over schedule on the extra content, but it's been worth the wait.)

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 18, 2017

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Cicero posted:

Have you tried Nuclear Throne?

Never heard of it, but I'll look into it, thanks.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I didn't even know there had been another campaign added after Plague Knight. I'll probably buy the Switch one, just because I never finished the original campaign and having a portable version would be cool.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

It's not unprecedented; I think Minecraft and Kerbal Space Program also increased their price over time?

njsykora posted:

I didn't even know there had been another campaign added after Plague Knight.
It's not out yet, comes out this spring. Then there'll be one more campaign based on King Knight.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Never heard of it, but I'll look into it, thanks.
Nuclear Throne is a fantastic game if you appreciate tight mechanics/controls/gun feel, it's good if you like pulse-pounding skill-based games where you feel like you're constantly one little mistake away from getting murdered. But if you prefer games based more on narrative, exploration, or (long-term) progression, you probably won't like it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cicero posted:

It's not unprecedented; I think Minecraft and Kerbal Space Program also increased their price over time?

Minecraft did, but that was a very strange development process.

All of the 2009 versions before Indev 0.31 in the end of December were free.
From Indev 0.31 in late 2009 to Alpha 1.0.0 at the end of June 2010, Minecraft was €5.00. Also, buying during this time period ws the first place you'd get a license that still works today
From Alpha 1.0.0 to Beta 1.0 on December 20, 2010 Minecraft was €10.00
From Beta 1.0 to Minecraft PC 1.0.0's official release in mid-November 2011, Minecraft was €15.00
And the price since the official release has been €20 - as well as various prices for the console and mobile versions.

For perspective on what the game was like at each stage, the free version didn't really have a crafting system. The €5 version didn't have components like Redstone and fences and bricks. The €10 version didn't have features like unique biomes across the map and the hunger system. And the €15 version didn't have a working experience system or a bunch of other things that showed up in the "release" version over time.

You basically had the first paid version with barely anything in it, but correspondingly you barely paid anything for it. Shovel Knight has a ton more content in the "base package" or whatever you want to call it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Cicero posted:

Mount and blade did as well. I think some other games did similar stuff. The mount and blade dev logic was that earlier releases were buggier and incomplete so they should charge less. Early purchasers were kind of paying to play test in a way so they'd eventually get the final, full version on the cheap.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
New project on Fig: Solo

quote:

Solo is a puzzle exploration game in which a sailor is traveling through a vast archipelago, solving puzzles, wondering about love. A personal experience both for puzzle lovers and creative indie games aficionados.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Sure what the hell I could go for playing Windwaker again.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, that's awesome looking, but it's kinda ruined by "you couldn't make it look just a tiny bit not like Windwaker?" constantly running through my mind.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I'm hearing Fig platform itself just finished another round of fundraising?

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Thimbleweed Park Ransome Trailer

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah, that's awesome looking, but it's kinda ruined by "you couldn't make it look just a tiny bit not like Windwaker?" constantly running through my mind.

Not to mention there's already a game to fill the Wind Waker on PC niche that doesn't look exactly like Wind Waker.

But I suppose it's less puzzle-oriented.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Well, my game Southern Monsters is up on Kickstarter now:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/547126543/southern-monsters

I forgot how anxiety-inducing it is to run one of these things. Off to a good start, though!

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Star Guarded posted:

I forgot how anxiety-inducing it is to run one of these things. Off to a good start, though!

You've got neat graphics, cats, monsters and you're a quarter of the way there. You're good. Congrats!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Star Guarded posted:

quote:

Will the cat be alive and safe by the end of the story?

Absolutely no harm can come to the cat in any playthrough of Southern Monsters, but only the player decides if he receives a sufficient amount of ear scritches, tummy rubs, and head pets.

Insta-backed.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Insta-backed.
That was literally the first question anyone sent me and you can't imagine how delighted I was that someone wanted to make sure the cat couldn't be harmed before backing.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Did anyone here play Banner Saga 2? No? Well the third and final (?) entry in the series is now up on Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stoic/banner-saga-3

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

Did anyone here play Banner Saga 2? No? Well the third and final (?) entry in the series is now up on Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stoic/banner-saga-3
Oh nice. I liked Banner Saga 1 but 2 was legit incredible. Definitely gonna back.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Star Guarded posted:

Oh nice. I liked Banner Saga 1 but 2 was legit incredible. Definitely gonna back.

What did they update between the two besides continuing the story? I feel like I hit a wall in 1 due to something I kinda hated about the combat system but now I can't remember exactly what.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Was it the fact that HP determined attack power and if you killed an enemy then some other enemy would take its place in the turn order so the best strategy was to reduce an enemy to 1-2 hp then move to the next before killing them all in sequence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

What did they update between the two besides continuing the story? I feel like I hit a wall in 1 due to something I kinda hated about the combat system but now I can't remember exactly what.
For me, what I liked is their scenario writing got a lot more ambitious. Throughout Banner Saga 1 you mostly just walk down a road and visit a couple towns and cities, but Banner Saga 2 has crazy poo poo like a scene where a wizard has to levitate a massive chunk of ground underneath you as the caravan advances and you have to make on-the-fly decisions that affect if large sections of your caravan will just fall off it to their deaths. And that's like the first hour. That kind of stuff. It was a lot more intense.