Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Star Guarded posted:

This is really good and I relate to a lot of what's in it, as a Kickstarter dev.

Frankly, especially after public opinion has turned against (most) crowdfunded games, most crowdfunding budgets cover what we could never pay for out of pocket, not what it costs to cover the whole development. I made 12k with Southern Monsters that I'm eternally grateful for. It paid for commission costs and miscellaneous expenses I could have never paid for with my day job, not in years. But not a cent of it went to me--I sustain myself with my full-time day job and freelance writing work for game companies. So, there are some months I have to prioritize the day job and the deadlines on the freelance work so that I can keep the lights on. But this is all in service of being able to work on the massive video game instead of having to cancel it (which I wouldn't do even if I were homeless, but y'know, that'd be bad for sustainable development). Strategy for the long-term instead of tactics for the short-term. Some months, I'm able to work 40 hours a week at my day job and 40-50 hours a week on Southern Monsters. Some months, I have to work 40 hours at my day job, 30 on freelance work, and 10-20 on Southern Monsters. Other months, I get the flu or a family member dies and I barely survive my day job and crank in a couple hours on deadlines and Southern Monsters if I'm lucky. I do all that reluctantly and it sucks, but every decision is made so that the game comes out eventually.

I wish public opinion hadn't turned so hard on crowdfunding due to bad corporate decisions, because a lot of us indies depend on it. Even if we also suck at hitting our own deadlines.

I have a hard time describing this thought exactly but I feel like with most of the major breakout kickstarter games it seems like people completely forget or ignore that said games had roots in kickstarter.

To use an example, Hollow Knight was one of the major indie darlings of last year and everybody loves it, but I never see any mention of the fact that it was a kickstarter title, that just fell away from people's associations with the game, the same happened with A Hat in Time, Divinity Original Sin 2 and Undertale, which were also acclaimed widely.

And then on the other hand when you see something like MN9 or Yooka-Laylee where their failure gets cast against crowdfunding as a whole. I just find it frustrating when people are like 'Oh, crowdfunded games suck' because that's so obviously not true at this point but the bad games get remembered as the kickstarter games while the good ones transcend that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
All of the Harebrained Studios games have been crowdfunded, and all of them have been excellent. Also Shovel Knight, the reigning king of crowdfunded gaming success.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

All of the Harebrained Studios games have been crowdfunded, and all of them have been excellent.

That roguelike they did wasn't well received iirc.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Skoll posted:

That roguelike they did wasn't well received iirc.

Do you mean Necropolis? I don't think that one was Kickstarted.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

khwarezm posted:

Do you mean Necropolis? I don't think that one was Kickstarted.

Fair enough. I don't know for sure, I just assumed all their games were.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
OVERLOAD looks to be trucking along pretty well. The team is going to have a slight delay in order to release multiplayer at the same time as the single player instead of staggering singler player then multiplayer but their reasoning is sound. I appreciate their upfront-ness and explaining why.

quote:

Release Schedule
We have decided on a concurrent release of the single-player and multiplayer versions across all platforms. This will mean a slight delay for the SP version, but we believe it's the best thing to do for Overload. We came to this decision because it's extremely difficult to create awareness for multiple launches. By releasing single and multiplayer at the same time, we should appeal to a larger audience and attract more players.

Our plan is:
  • One more Early Access release (Version 0.9) sometime in February. This will include one more single-player level, localization, and nearly-final game balancing, bug fixes and optimization.
  • Starting in April, we expect to make the the multiplayer version available to Beta backers for testing.
  • Final release in May/June for PC (Windows, Linux, Mac), Playstation 4, and Xbox One.
Unexpected delays are always possible, but we feel good about this schedule and think it will help the game. We're excited to finish Overload and get it out to you.

I still laugh and laugh just how much they are kicking the rear end of the team (Ex-Star Citizen people) that actually got the Descent license.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I never saw anyone say Mighty No9 or Yooka Laylee were bad because they were crowdfunded. Really the next big ask for big name crowdfunding is going to be Bloodstained which is supposed to be out sometime this year and is looking fairly certain to hit that.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

khwarezm posted:

I have a hard time describing this thought exactly but I feel like with most of the major breakout kickstarter games it seems like people completely forget or ignore that said games had roots in kickstarter.

To use an example, Hollow Knight was one of the major indie darlings of last year and everybody loves it, but I never see any mention of the fact that it was a kickstarter title, that just fell away from people's associations with the game, the same happened with A Hat in Time, Divinity Original Sin 2 and Undertale, which were also acclaimed widely.

And then on the other hand when you see something like MN9 or Yooka-Laylee where their failure gets cast against crowdfunding as a whole. I just find it frustrating when people are like 'Oh, crowdfunded games suck' because that's so obviously not true at this point but the bad games get remembered as the kickstarter games while the good ones transcend that.
Oh everyone remembers the good Kickstarters, when they wanna make arguments like "why do you need so much money when good games like Undertale and Hollow Knight only needed $50k?" :v:

I don't think it's so much the bad cancelling out the good, it's just that it turns out Kickstarter has as much success/failure rate as any other platform (same with Early Access, etc), so unless you're feeling generous, why not just wait for the safest platform to buy from?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I don't think that crowdfunding sucks in that the people using crowdfunding are all bad people. I think that it's shortcomings fall in a number of ways. In particular the relationship between backers and devs is pretty bad and there's a general sense of toxic entitlement. There's also a number of cases where funding goals seem to have made games worse (Pillars of Eternity come to mind), created drama (Undertale is an example), or just screwed over the project entirely because of poorly thought out stretch goals.

The promise of a new age of gaming replacing horrible evil publishers with You The People has clearly not materialised.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Mandate, to me, looked impossible to achieve on those numbers from the very start. It's why I didn't back it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Really, it can be summed up that kickstarter aims to remove the funder and publisher layers and just have a relationship between the designers and the players. And it turns out that despite all the bad stuff, there are some reasons publishers and funders exist.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
One of the problems is that publishers never disappeared from the process. A lot of crowdfunding puts up a goal that is straight up a lie purely so they can then go to a publisher afterwards anyway. Very few kickstarted games actually went publisher-less (at least intentionally). No idea of publisher-less would have solved anything, but saying that it's been tried on any appreciable scale with crowdfunding is just wrong.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 22, 2018

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Kickstarter has proved that devs, without oversight, are generally pretty bad at making video games. It was fine when they were playing with house money but once they become accountable to consumers over publishers suddenly devs wrote a bunch of thinkpieces about how bad and needy and overly demanding the gaming public is (which I can believe to be true) while gladly taking their money.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

njsykora posted:

I never saw anyone say Mighty No9 or Yooka Laylee were bad because they were crowdfunded. Really the next big ask for big name crowdfunding is going to be Bloodstained which is supposed to be out sometime this year and is looking fairly certain to hit that.

It struck me when I was looking for reviews for A Hat in Time and I noticed this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBA5j1v1IKY&t=153s

I just found it very strange that the idea that it was a kickstarter game and was thus going to be bad because it was a kickstarter game was being treated as a priori, and I've seen it elsewhere too even (including here) though I don't think there's any good reason to say crowdfunded games are somehow worse than other ones on the whole.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
I had no idea that A Hat In Time was Kickstarted before I played it, but there were a few bits of text in there that felt sufficiently out of place that I thought they were backer rewards.

Still an excellent game.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Mr Underhill posted:

Well, if that is the case, at least we have the ironic outcome of everybody and their mother vocally letting them know that their 3d effort is nowhere near as popular as the 2d bait.

It would be pretty great karma if they get turned down by publishers because publishers think the new hot thing is pixel art.

And as for your rant about Kickstarter developers communicating more with their backers, I totally agree.
The first game I backed followed the same trajectory as too many other KS games, it started out with tons of updates containing concept art and the odd art asset, then some mumbling about having to push back the release date, only for them to stop updating all together on top of removing all their social media.

It got so bad a year after they stopped responding some backers had to track down team members on LinkedIn and discovered that all their pages said they were "Former developers" and I guess the backers sent enough E-mails to them that they finally posted a final update that basically just said

"We ran out of money, whoops, also no refunds"

A couple other ones I backed seem to be heading that way as well, which sucks because one of them actually released a playable build on steam which had potential, but that was a couple years ago.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
In some "sign of the times" news, the monster wearing Atari's skin is trying to crowd-invest(?) a Rollercoaster Tycoon game for Switch. The game doesn't seem to have started development yet, the minimum investment is $250, and the developer earmarked for it previously put out Rollercoaster Tycoon World, which sits proudly at a "Mostly Negative" review score on Steam and a Metacritic of 43.

So, you know, definitely a winner in the making.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Getting "Mostly Negative" on Steam is pretty drat impressive. You have to be a special kind of bad to manage that.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

The Kins posted:

In some "sign of the times" news, the monster wearing Atari's skin is trying to crowd-invest(?) a Rollercoaster Tycoon game for Switch. The game doesn't seem to have started development yet, the minimum investment is $250, and the developer earmarked for it previously put out Rollercoaster Tycoon World, which sits proudly at a "Mostly Negative" review score on Steam and a Metacritic of 43.

They also made all the terrible F2P IAP mobile versions of RCT, which this seems to be a port of. :jerkbag:

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Good Kickstarter Alert

Cool fighting game Cerebrawl is looking to get money, and there's a playable training room demo to check out I've been following this one for a long while, and it's got some of the craziest and most interesting character designs I've seen in a long while. (Operator 28 is :krad: as all hell)

look at this and tell me he's not the coolest.

Also it's got great music too, I'd highly suggest checking the soundcloud out on the kickstarter page

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
As I've said before, I could swear there's a strong correlation between 'Kickstarter games that were massively overfunded' and 'Kickstarter games that went completely to poo poo'.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

The Kins posted:

Leaked photo from Atari HQ:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Diabetes Forecast posted:

Good Kickstarter Alert

TMNT reboot lookin rad.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Inescapable Duck posted:

As I've said before, I could swear there's a strong correlation between 'Kickstarter games that were massively overfunded' and 'Kickstarter games that went completely to poo poo'.

The Inescapable Duck Law of diminishing returns.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Inescapable Duck posted:

There were also a few that got overfunded, and while being late they basically delivered on the promises, but people overhyped them to poo poo and then reality hit and lol

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

There were also a few that got overfunded, and while being late they basically delivered on the promises, but people overhyped them to poo poo and then reality hit and lol

That's more projection. People have weird expectations, hype each other up into a spiral, then the inevitable comparison of reality and the worldview create cognitive dissonance. Then you're into the stages of grief.

The ones where 'a plan' gets knocked into a cocked hat by a vast influx of money tend to react like cats in a nip factory, losing their goddamned minds and not sticking to the 'plan'.

Then you had the regrettable 'development will only continue if contributions do' model of development that briefly took hold.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Ahaha that site has some real top-tier startup bullshit. My favourite has to be this one:

The iPhone of condoms, prevent infections* and enhance sensation** by gluing a literal loving bandaid to your bellend

*Will do absolutely gently caress all to prevent STIs
** Sensation of ‘that feeling when you rip off a bandaid, but on your dick’

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Phoenix Point that was funded on Figg is sounding pretty neat. They even confirmed an alpha and release date:

https://phoenixpoint.info/blog/2018/1/22/julians-live-question-and-answer-session-on-facebook-live

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Skoll posted:

Phoenix Point that was funded on Figg is sounding pretty neat. They even confirmed an alpha and release date:

https://phoenixpoint.info/blog/2018/1/22/julians-live-question-and-answer-session-on-facebook-live

quote:

We are releasing at the end of the year. We will probably also have an Early Access release. We will also be releasing a pre-alpha version to our Luxury Digital Edition pre-orders and backers at the end of March, possibly the beginning of April.

Hey, pretty cool - and sooner than I expected. I mean, it's a given that there will be a delay in here, but still, cool!

e: I'm an idiot, the original pitch had it out at Q4 2018, my brain somehow translated that to 2019.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 24, 2018

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fangz posted:

I generally read going silent as the sign of depressive spiral really.

yeah scale was silent for along time and then we got an update that said he hired a team and a pr manager that was going to be doing all the updates from now on which was kind of what the gently caress because how does he still have money from the kickstarter to hire a team and a pr manager

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I really wish I had chosen to invest in Phoenix Point.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Diabetes Forecast posted:

Good Kickstarter Alert

Cool fighting game Cerebrawl is looking to get money, and there's a playable training room demo to check out I've been following this one for a long while, and it's got some of the craziest and most interesting character designs I've seen in a long while. (Operator 28 is :krad: as all hell)

Also it's got great music too, I'd highly suggest checking the soundcloud out on the kickstarter page

http://www.cerebrawl.in/roster

This roster is pretty loving awesome.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Fuzz posted:

I really wish I had chosen to invest in Phoenix Point.

You can still pre-order it.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Kickstarter has proved that devs, without oversight, are generally pretty bad at making video games.

Not really. I'd argue that what it does is show that A. making games is a lot harder that most people without industry experience realize and B. certain beloved industry auteurs aren't as talented as they like to make out.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Kickstarter games are just like any other start-up business, most go broke and disappear within a year or so. Most people don't realize how much money things are actually going to cost and game kickstarters are historically bad at asking for a reasonable amount of money and time.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

even then there's cases of overfunding and still not delivered. as with that one online rpg that got like a million and just got canceled, if you gave me the money these guys got i'd just buckle down and spend most of my free time getting em done.

there's omori which got 200k and had a delivery date of may 2015

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/omocat/omori/

and that one fishing pixel game that got 50k plus on a 5k ask or something like that and had to be canceled. i just can't fathom how some of these don't get made.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

and that one fishing pixel game that got 50k plus on a 5k ask or something like that and had to be canceled. i just can't fathom how some of these don't get made.
A 5k ask is ludricrous when one considers the costs of actually making a game, even in the cheapest scenario of a one-developer passion project where you don't need to buy any supplies or licenses. An amount like 50k is enough to scrape by for a one- or two-person team (ie to cover living and other expenses for an actual period of time), but only if your project is properly scoped and doesn't run into any unforeseen difficulties. It's very easy to slip past your existing funding, and then indie developers are basically forced to find some other job to get an income stream, at which point development can happen only on a part-time basis.

The fact that game development kickstarter asks are too low is now endemic to the ecosystem, sadly. Even if a developer can predict that they need several hundred thousand dollars to actually finish their game, I don't blame them for asking for a lower amount to get some support rather than none.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

even then there's cases of overfunding and still not delivered. as with that one online rpg that got like a million and just got canceled, if you gave me the money these guys got i'd just buckle down and spend most of my free time getting em done.

there's omori which got 200k and had a delivery date of may 2015

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/omocat/omori/

Just the other day I was like "Is it time for my yearly post in the Kickstarter thread 'hey what's that Japanese Earthbound thing with a theme song sung in Japanese by people who are obviously not Japanese.'"

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

FreeKillB posted:

A 5k ask is ludricrous when one considers the costs of actually making a game, even in the cheapest scenario of a one-developer passion project where you don't need to buy any supplies or licenses. An amount like 50k is enough to scrape by for a one- or two-person team (ie to cover living and other expenses for an actual period of time), but only if your project is properly scoped and doesn't run into any unforeseen difficulties.

i'd assume that when you set up a kickstarter, if you were smart, you wouldn't quit your day job and your meager ask is strictly for contracting expenses. at least that's how i would do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

every once in a while i remember octopus city blues and i am simultaneously sad and glad that i did not back it