Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

Pathfinder: Kingmaker was released today. Any first impressions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

drat SJW Russians!!

Turns out my pledge isn't linked yet on their backer portal, going to have to sort this out first.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

It's by my fellow Russians, anonymous Steam friendo, so I assure you it's thoroughly shitlordian.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

I know literally nothing about this game, but this review makes me feel like buying it.
Back then, a review like this was the only negative one for Celeste and I will never regret buying that game.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

cant cook creole bream posted:

I know literally nothing about this game, but this review makes me feel like buying it.
Back then, a review like this was the only negative one for Celeste and I will never regret buying that game.

In the proud goon tradition there's 13 reviews for the game, out of which exactly 1 person on steam had a dumb opinion, and that guy naturally posted that one with no context because making folks like you fall for it is funny, apparently.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

That's the funniest review, though. All of the other reviews are "I like game." Not really worth posting.

Apparently there's at least a handful of people running into some sort of bug preventing the game from loading. Might want to wait for a hotfix if that's a widespread issue.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Ham Sandwiches posted:

In the proud goon tradition there's 13 reviews for the game, out of which exactly 1 person on steam had a dumb opinion, and that guy naturally posted that one with no context because making folks like you fall for it is funny, apparently.

Nah. Obviously, I know that this is not a representative review.
But when I considered buying Celeste, there were 15 positive reviews, which basically said "It's fun." and one review which basically complained that it's too SJW because it contained empowerment of a female. That man's review convinced me more than any of the other ones.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Nah. Obviously, I know that this is not a representative review.
But when I considered buying Celeste, there were 15 positive reviews, which basically said "It's fun." and one review which basically complained that it's too SJW because it contained empowerment of a female. That man's review convinced me more than any of the other ones.

Right, and that's why that guy posts that misleading stuff in the first place.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

So, uh...anyone else having trouble actually getting their key?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Right, and that's why that guy posts that misleading stuff in the first place.

Wait, are you implying that the goon who took that screenshot is trying to convince me to buy that game, or do you think that review is a false flag operation?
If you mean the second option, I don't really buy it, because I have seen way waaay dumber reviews which are written in all honesty.
And frankly, I wont buy some game just because some goon grabbed a funny review by some idiot.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

That CromX guy is a great reviewer. I especially like his XCOM 2 review which is basically "I am bad at XCOM 2 and I am mad about it."

He was also apparently upset by the SJW themes in Pillars of Eternity 2 so if he's just playing an idiot he's definitely committed to the role.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Wait, are you implying that the goon who took that screenshot is trying to convince me to buy that game, or do you think that review is a false flag operation?
If you mean the second option, I don't really buy it, because I have seen way waaay dumber reviews which are written in all honesty.
And frankly, I wont buy some game just because some goon grabbed a funny review by some idiot.

Just that there's a cycle of check out new game -> see what the reviews are -> skim 20 boring ones -> find one that's :allears: -> post exactly that one -> watch the response

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

It certainly reads like it, but then I looked at the guy's review history and it's either a long running joke reviewer or he genuinely has it out for fantasy games that smear glorious southern America and SJW forum moderators. Poe's law and all that.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

So, uh...anyone else having trouble actually getting their key?

What's your trouble, specifically? Did you link your pledge to backer portal successfully?

Edit: I think it was only Mac users experiencing the bug preventing loading, at least at launch; game runs fine so far for me on PC.

Perhaps a hamster fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 25, 2018

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I can't imagine why someone wouldn't post the 19 non-funny reviews and post the funny one.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Perhaps a hamster posted:

What's your trouble, specifically? Did you link your pledge to backer portal successfully?

The game's not linked to my account on the backer portal yet, so I entered my e-mail address in 'Get your transfer code', but I haven't received the mail yet. Nothing in junk either. It's been almost an hour.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Just that there's a cycle of check out new game -> see what the reviews are -> skim 20 boring ones -> find one that's :allears: -> post exactly that one -> watch the response
i'm still not sure if you're talking about me but you've got me pegged here

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Darkhold posted:

I can't imagine why someone wouldn't post the 19 non-funny reviews and post the funny one.

How come the news doesn't report when strange stuff DOESN'T happen, huh?? Havin' a real normal one over here, someone call CNN.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Ham Sandwiches posted:

...Yeah?

Is this a :thejoke: situation, and if so am I the one not getting it?

On the topic of Pathfinder, does anyone know what the AI situation is like? I'm not a fan of rtwp at the best of times, but good party AI can at least make it tolerable.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Phlegmish - Stupid question, but you did use the same account for backer portal as you did for Kickstarter, yes? I'd seen some complaints pre-launch about people missing their keys, and it turned out they used their FB accounts on KS when pledging and forgot all about it when trying to log in to the backer portal.

Perhaps a hamster fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 25, 2018

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Larian shows you can make those games fun and interesting and well written, even by a small / indie team. Obsidian's recent games like Tyranny and path of exile 1 were absolutely boring / amateurish in comparison. I have no idea what particular structural issues they're wrestling with, but given their inability to produce content rather than excuses, I can't imagine it will be a big loss if they end up running out of cash.

This is a weird thing to read for me because as someone who's been playing CRPGs since the 90s, D:OS2 on launch had one of the most amateurishly executed systems in any RPG I can remember playing. The broken scaling on basically everything, but especially armor/magic armor, was unbelievably bad and ruined basically everything about the core gameplay for me.

I basically decided once my characters got up in level a bit and I ran into that poo poo to drop the game until it got patched to hell and back - same attitude I have towards Obsidian's stuff coincidentally, though theirs is usually a mountain of small annoyances and bugs rather than one huge thing. At least both studios are great at patching in poo poo, I bumped PoE1 from a 6.5 to and 8.5 just on the back on all the poo poo they improved/added from release through the final big patch. I still haven't found the interest to restart OS2 though, I don't even know if they fixed the stuff I hated about the game yet.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hmm.. Stupid question, but you did use the same account for backer portal as you did for Kickstarter, yes? I'd seen some complaints pre-launch about people missing their keys, and it turned out they used their FB accounts on KS when pledging and forgot all about it when trying to log in to the backer portal.

I used my normal e-mail address in both cases, yes.

I'm not going to play it right away so I don't care if the code takes a while to arrive, but I'd like to be sure there isn't a problem.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
yeah a lot of people have gone to the trouble in reviews of laying out how the mechanics of dos2 are extremely shoddy and/or broken. it's one of the reasons why--on top of its cloying tone, where people can differ--i decided to drop it.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

I've never been able to get into Divinity, something about the gameplay just feels off and clunky.

And watching a dev play through Kingmaker and they lost me the second I saw random dice rolls in dialogue. Hate that poo poo.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

Phlegmish posted:

Pathfinder: Kingmaker was released today. Any first impressions?

cant date the undead elf, 0/10

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

^^^lol, truth. She's a pretty interesting character so far. ^^^

Wicked Them Beats posted:

And watching a dev play through Kingmaker and they lost me the second I saw random dice rolls in dialogue. Hate that poo poo.
I love that poo poo! I even liked percentage skill checks in Wasteland 2.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

I've never been able to get into Divinity, something about the gameplay just feels off and clunky.

I find I really enjoy the gameplay of the D:OS games when I start out, but by the time I'm halfway through I'm kinda bored by it. Part of it is fun mechanics like elemental effects/areas that don't have a ton of depth and are also very 'abusable' in the sense that you usually want to follow a very similar series of skills in every fight depending on what kind of damage your heavy-hitters are doing. The other part is you stop getting new skills besides whatever the super-charged ones that I forget what were called relatively early, like level 12 or something. I remember getting all the books - though I did wimp out and look up a couple of the combined ones - by the end of the second area or so, and going through the island after that, combat got incredibly same-y. A bit of a pity for sure since I think the core gameplay is actually quite nice, one of the few turn-based RPG systems I really like.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

I love that poo poo! I even liked percentage skill checks in Wasteland 2.

You're a monster and Wasteland 2 was a criminal act against gaming that cannot be forgiven.

Insurrectionist posted:

I find I really enjoy the gameplay of the D:OS games when I start out, but by the time I'm halfway through I'm kinda bored by it. Part of it is fun mechanics like elemental effects/areas that don't have a ton of depth and are also very 'abusable' in the sense that you usually want to follow a very similar series of skills in every fight depending on what kind of damage your heavy-hitters are doing. The other part is you stop getting new skills besides whatever the super-charged ones that I forget what were called relatively early, like level 12 or something. I remember getting all the books - though I did wimp out and look up a couple of the combined ones - by the end of the second area or so, and going through the island after that, combat got incredibly same-y. A bit of a pity for sure since I think the core gameplay is actually quite nice, one of the few turn-based RPG systems I really like.

I've never even gotten beyond the intro areas of either D:OS game. It's like they're designed specifically to make me lose interest in them. Maybe they'll end up like Witcher 1 did for me and one day I'll boot them up and something will click and I'll finish them.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I downloaded Pathfinder Kingmaker and I'm just mucking around with the character creator. There are 14 classes to choose from and they each have 4 archetypes (or subclass or whatever they're called). Looking at the Sorcerer page, there are 21 different bloodlines to choose from. So, basically, if you like looking at a bunch of stats, numbers and all that sort of thing, slack-jawed, for hours while deciding what you want to play as without knowing anything about any of these classes because you don't play Pathfinder, then this game is for you.

Don't bother looking up stuff on wikis because I think they changed some classes around. I settled on Sword Saint because using eldritch magic with weapons seems rad but apparently in the actual Pathfinder game, they're a samurai classes that focuses purely on melee. So... yeah. The game pretty helpful with stat and skill allocation - recommending you what to invest in. Also gives you pictures for spell selection to let you know if it has friendly-fire on it. Or you can just skip all that poo poo and choose a pre-made build for the character. So it's a bit daunting but they make things pretty easy for idiots like me.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

You're a monster and Wasteland 2 was a criminal act against gaming that cannot be forgiven.
Wasteland 2 Director's Cut was actually a decent game though. Fight me.

Edit: still enjoying Pathfinder too. Game has charm.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Definitely interested in Kingmaker, it's right up my alley. Gonna wait to see reviews though.

Pricing is really weird around the web though. The cheapest version on Steam is selling for the local (NOK) equivalent of $35, but on GOG it's $47 which is quite a ridiculous difference. The most expensive is $72 on Steam, but $101(!) on GOG. Games I've checked out on both sites before have almost always had the exact same price that I can recall, at least since GOG got local currency pricing going.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Jimbot posted:

I downloaded Pathfinder Kingmaker and I'm just mucking around with the character creator. There are 14 classes to choose from and they each have 4 archetypes (or subclass or whatever they're called). Looking at the Sorcerer page, there are 21 different bloodlines to choose from. So, basically, if you like looking at a bunch of stats, numbers and all that sort of thing, slack-jawed, for hours while deciding what you want to play as without knowing anything about any of these classes because you don't play Pathfinder, then this game is for you.

Don't bother looking up stuff on wikis because I think they changed some classes around. I settled on Sword Saint because using eldritch magic with weapons seems rad but apparently in the actual Pathfinder game, they're a samurai classes that focuses purely on melee. So... yeah. The game pretty helpful with stat and skill allocation - recommending you what to invest in. Also gives you pictures for spell selection to let you know if it has friendly-fire on it. Or you can just skip all that poo poo and choose a pre-made build for the character. So it's a bit daunting but they make things pretty easy for idiots like me.

It's Pathfinder, just pick a caster and you're good.

https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/114425/what-tier-are-the-pathfinder-classes

And if you're super OCD about this poo poo google "class_name Pathfinder guide" and follow it along, it should still be mostly the same.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Insurrectionist posted:

This is a weird thing to read for me because as someone who's been playing CRPGs since the 90s, D:OS2 on launch had one of the most amateurishly executed systems in any RPG I can remember playing. The broken scaling on basically everything, but especially armor/magic armor, was unbelievably bad and ruined basically everything about the core gameplay for me.

I basically decided once my characters got up in level a bit and I ran into that poo poo to drop the game until it got patched to hell and back - same attitude I have towards Obsidian's stuff coincidentally, though theirs is usually a mountain of small annoyances and bugs rather than one huge thing. At least both studios are great at patching in poo poo, I bumped PoE1 from a 6.5 to and 8.5 just on the back on all the poo poo they improved/added from release through the final big patch. I still haven't found the interest to restart OS2 though, I don't even know if they fixed the stuff I hated about the game yet.

The Definitive Edition came out a month ago (free to anyone who owned it on PC already) They have toned down the scaling and changed enemy armor to have fewer enemies with equal amounts of both physical and magical armor to make enemies more likely to be weak to one or the other types of damage, excessive magic resistances across the board are lowered, the "Torturer" Talent allows any status which deals damage over time to apply even if the enemy has armor remaining. Armor still otherwise blocks status effects, though, so if you hated that, it hasn't changed.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I didn't like the status blocking particularly much but I didn't dislike it enough for it to impact things. The biggest issue was the numbers scaling - once I got to mid-teen levels, it felt like any item that was level 15 instead of 14 was automatically better because the damage/armor numbers were so much bigger despite the small level difference. And if an item fell more than two or so levels behind, whoo boy was it gimped. Combined with the random stats on items (which I still really dislike about the games too but can live with) and that meant my characters kept having to choose between items with bonuses that worked well for their builds or items 3 levels higher with like twice the base stats but nothing flavorful or powerful about its bonuses at all. Not to mention it just meant constantly having to do item comparisons if I wanted to keep my party kitted out in level-appropriate gear as well which got tedious. In other games you can find an amazing, cool-looking item for a character and generally know unless you find something that looks equally amazing, that's an item that's gonna last you for quite a while. In D:OS2 at launch, within a couple levels that item is already losing ground to the most basic magic items with like +2 to a random stat because that item has 40% more armor/damage from the level-difference.

The first 10 or so levels the differences are small enough it wasn't so noticeable but drat did it ramp up fast past that.

Good to hear they changed it, I'll have to check the game out again soon.

E: Also wrt OS2 complaints, I also gotta say I really disliked the dialogue skill/stat-checks because they seemed so arbitrary. Like you'd have 3 options tied to 3 different stats, that all read similarly smart (or non-sequitur), but randomly only one of those are actually any good. After a while I got weirded out failing checks with my highest stat and reloaded some to try others and I'd find an option whose stat wasn't nearly as high did work. These were all explicit succeed/fail checks too, not like flavor dialogue or anything. Even then I'd be merely miffed if you could logically figure out which was the right option by paying attention and reading thoroughly and the stat-gates were merely arbitrarily added on for no reason, but I recall I couldn't find any rhyme or reason in what replies would work and what wouldn't, which annoyed the gently caress out of me. Especially since the quests and dialogue in the game are probably its strongest aspect otherwise.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 25, 2018

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The Definitive Edition came out a month ago (free to anyone who owned it on PC already) They have toned down the scaling and changed enemy armor to have fewer enemies with equal amounts of both physical and magical armor to make enemies more likely to be weak to one or the other types of damage, excessive magic resistances across the board are lowered, the "Torturer" Talent allows any status which deals damage over time to apply even if the enemy has armor remaining. Armor still otherwise blocks status effects, though, so if you hated that, it hasn't changed.

That sounds promising to me. I liked most everything about the game but as soon as I got into my first real fight (An ambush inside the first town after the tutorial ship), it felt like hitting a brick wall. Not to mention the whole armor system seemed to encourage making pure magic or pure physical parties, which I hated.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Still no e-mail, fuuuuu

I mean, I wasn't going to play it right away, but I still want to get it sorted out.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Timespinner is out to backers (and imminently for everyone else to buy) and is really pretty and feels real good to play.

I'm only an hour or so in but I'm glad it's absolutely nothing like Chasm.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Phlegmish - Stupid question, but you did use the same account for backer portal as you did for Kickstarter, yes? I'd seen some complaints pre-launch about people missing their keys, and it turned out they used their FB accounts on KS when pledging and forgot all about it when trying to log in to the backer portal.

I don't think I did that but may need to recheck.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Insurrectionist posted:

E: Also wrt OS2 complaints, I also gotta say I really disliked the dialogue skill/stat-checks because they seemed so arbitrary. Like you'd have 3 options tied to 3 different stats, that all read similarly smart (or non-sequitur), but randomly only one of those are actually any good. After a while I got weirded out failing checks with my highest stat and reloaded some to try others and I'd find an option whose stat wasn't nearly as high did work. These were all explicit succeed/fail checks too, not like flavor dialogue or anything. Even then I'd be merely miffed if you could logically figure out which was the right option by paying attention and reading thoroughly and the stat-gates were merely arbitrarily added on for no reason, but I recall I couldn't find any rhyme or reason in what replies would work and what wouldn't, which annoyed the gently caress out of me. Especially since the quests and dialogue in the game are probably its strongest aspect otherwise.

You mean the Persuasion checks in Original Sin 2? Nothing random about it. Each Persuasion check is its own thing, some people respond better to one option instead of another. What matters most is your Persuasion compared to the difficulty of the check. If you choose an option which is less good than the best option, it increases the amount of Persuasion required, but succeed if you pass the check for your Attribute being high enough. And there are cases where some of the dialogue options always succeed or always fail regardless of your persuasion.

Unlucky7 posted:

That sounds promising to me. I liked most everything about the game but as soon as I got into my first real fight (An ambush inside the first town after the tutorial ship), it felt like hitting a brick wall. Not to mention the whole armor system seemed to encourage making pure magic or pure physical parties, which I hated.

You could also do just fine with a 2/2 Physical/Magical split party, just prioritize targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The armor system encourages you to use both physical and magic, because many enemies are slanted way more toward one than the other. The system is also brilliant because it lets them make status effects completely deterministic. There’s really very little luck in the game and that’s great. Divinity 2 might be the best turn based strategy game I’ve played.