Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

What? Why are you saying that?

So terrible games using good licenses don't get made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Wasn't there already a Star Control 3?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Toys For Bob doesn't recognize it. They've pitched their Star Control 3 to various publishers and there were no bites. Now they're fully owned by Activision and making the Skylanders games, so that ship has sailed. There will never be a real Star Control 3.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 21, 2012

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

emoticon posted:

That's because no one knows who he is. I tried looking him up, I still don't know who he is.

He runs this game studio: http://cardboardcomputer.com/

And stole 8k with this game: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/149077132/kentucky-route-zero-a-magic-realist-adventure-game

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
The best project.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1248373633/1130428578?token=869e739e

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Five different people donated $500+ to a guy I've never heard of until now for something that obscure? Maybe I need to get people to fund my artistic bullshit on Kickstarter.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Five different people donated $500+ to a guy I've never heard of until now for something that obscure? Maybe I need to get people to fund my artistic bullshit on Kickstarter.

This is why I dont really get people talking about fatigue or oversaturation or someone taking the money and running. This dude took the money and kickstarter's doing just fine

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
Why do people say he stole money? Because he hasn't turned anything out and Cardboard Computer doesn't talk about it (while posting other projects) or what?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I've never heard of him and there's not a whole lot of information about the game or the people making it so it kinda seems like a buyer beware kind of situation.

Hell, you're not even promised a copy of the game no matter how much you donate.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Master_Odin posted:

Why do people say he stole money? Because he hasn't turned anything out and Cardboard Computer doesn't talk about it (while posting other projects) or what?

Because he said the game would be out in fall 2011 and its never coming out. He took the money.

My point is that people taking the money and doing nothing isnt hurting kickstarter

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

the black husserl posted:

Because he said the game would be out in fall 2011 and its never coming out. He took the money.

My point is that people taking the money and doing nothing isnt hurting kickstarter
I don't even see why you brought it up, it's a totally different scale from the kickstarters this thread is about. This guy took 200 people for about $8500. Do you really think the fallout would be the same if one of these kickstarters with thousands of backers and $100,000+ totals did the same? I don't think it would ruin kickstarter or anything, but it would probably wake people up to the idea that you're really just pledging money for a promise.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, nobody heard of that instance because it was so minor that no news sites covered it. If a $100k+ project went bust, it would be on every gaming news site and a huge stink would be made about it across the internet. That would cause a much larger impact than $8,000.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Saoshyant posted:

rope kid posted on his blog about how Kickstarter changes the way developers should deal with community feedback. Bottom line, nothing should change. Community feedback is important, but they are not the people making the game.

There should be a toggle to donate extra money just to ensure rope kid is involved with it. Do it Brian Fargo. Do it. You need him. We need him.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Consider that, in the realm of music, this dude essentially bilked 205 people out of +$25k (he eventually farted out a scrapbook and a bad live recording way over schedule, IIRC) and nothing really happened. The dude got his all-expenses paid trip to Africa, and he's still making music with a very high-profile band.

I mean at what threshold does fraud go from being insignificant to something that the invisible hand of the free market cannot possibly allow? Because $25,000 is a lot of money.

Granted, it seems unlikely that any of these people are actually con artists but it stands to reason that at some point along the line there might be a hitch or a hardware failure or something that will cause a delay and scuttle the best laid plans of the developer. So it's less a danger of people taking the money and running and more a danger of people not delivering exactly what they promise when they promise to do so. The question is then whether fan investors will be more lenient than publishers have historically been.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Fraud happens all the time, but on a smaller scale it's kind of hard to deal with since it happens so often and the amounts of money are usually small. Those smaller bullshit projects are the equivalent of those fake magazine subscription salesmen bilking random people out of $20 each. I don't think the Kickstarter model is going to see serious backlash until a fairly high-profile project fails to deliver. However, as everyone has noted, high-profile projects tend to have big names behind them or people wouldn't line up in droves to contribute. So really I think it's going to be quite awhile, if ever, before some sort of scandalous rip-off happens.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

thepopstalinist posted:

Consider that, in the realm of music, this dude essentially bilked 205 people out of +$25k (he eventually farted out a scrapbook and a bad live recording way over schedule, IIRC) and nothing really happened. The dude got his all-expenses paid trip to Africa, and he's still making music with a very high-profile band.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. I know Jake Eliot is small time but he was big enough to get 8k and tons of people played his games and they were featured on RPS etc and yet even though he's totally failed to follow up, his reputation hasn't suffered AT ALL. I can't find any evidence that people even care or remember they donated!

I think this says something bigger about kickstarter. The value to the consumer is almost 100% in the donation. It makes people feel good to give and be a part of something. For artistic projects, receiving the goods doesn't even matter. That's why I think the oversaturation/fatigue/impatience are off base.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

ZackHoagie posted:

Even though the studio taking control of it has made games that look like the very definition of rear end, I can't not be hyped up for another Tex Murphy game.

One of the incentives should be that instead of a digital distribution copy, you get the game spread out across 20 cd-roms. Only way I'll back it.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'd love to see a Kickstarter sequel to Weird Dreams or Mondu's Fight Palace if we're resurrection 25 year old franchises.

It's hard to even find screenshots of Weird Dreams on GIS though, so maybe that's a little too obscure.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Toys For Bob doesn't recognize it. They've pitched their Star Control 3 with various publishers and there was no bites. Now they're fully owned by Activision and making the Skylanders game, so the ship has sailed. There will never be a real Star Control 3.

Someone over at Quarter to Three said he used to work for Toys For Bob, knows that they're itching to do another Star Control game, and heavily implied that the success of Skylanders might be the thing that helps them get Activision's approval.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

theblackw0lf posted:

Someone over at Quarter to Three said he used to work for Toys For Bob, knows that they're itching to do another Star Control game, and heavily implied that the success of Skylanders might be the thing that helps them get Activision's approval.

I'd be surprised, given what happened when the Infinity Ward guys told Activision management they wanted work on something else.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'd love to see a Kickstarter sequel to Weird Dreams or Mondu's Fight Palace if we're resurrection 25 year old franchises.

It's hard to even find screenshots of Weird Dreams on GIS though, so maybe that's a little too obscure.

Huh. I clearly recognize this game from the picture but I have no clear memories of it. I only have an uncomfortable feeling that connects to this game. Guess young me didn't get very far in it. :ohdear:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Fewd posted:

Huh. I clearly recognize this game from the picture but I have no clear memories of it. I only have an uncomfortable feeling that connects to this game. Guess young me didn't get very far in it. :ohdear:

I'd call it an early precursor to Silent Hill.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

gradenko_2000 posted:

There was also Protostar, which was a spiritual successor to the series, and was awesome. And had a sick soundtrack.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Saoshyant posted:

What? Why are you saying that?

Well for one thing there is an actual human being in that video who says the word "interwebs" out loud. That's when I stopped watching it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Oh God, a new Tex Murphy. It's doomed to fail, but I want it so badly :negative:

OldMold
Jul 29, 2003
old cold gold mold
This is really cool:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vipersim/the-viper-full-motion-flight-simulator

High school kids creating a sim experience of the battlestar galactica vipers, complete with a full 360 degree motion simulator rig.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Looks like the Hardcore Tactical Shooter thing is on its way to failure. 10 days and ~75% left to be funded. They're proposing a new project pitch but I'm not sure it will do them any good. They didn't give themselves a lot of time and they might as well have named their project "Brown Cardboard Box"

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I think what this whole kickstarter thing needs is a game to get released because of them that ends up being a horrible buggy mess of a failure. I just think some people are a bit too idealistic about it and they need to be grounded.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

thepopstalinist posted:

Looks like the Hardcore Tactical Shooter thing is on its way to failure. 10 days and ~75% left to be funded. They're proposing a new project pitch but I'm not sure it will do them any good. They didn't give themselves a lot of time and they might as well have named their project "Brown Cardboard Box"

For $200k or whatever they'd be lucky to make a glorified mod. That's not enough to hire real developers.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Thats probably part of the problem. They never said the game would be made with that money. It's their way of showing that there is fan interest to publishers. More than any of the big kick starters it seemed like it was the least of a sure thing.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Sankis posted:

Thats probably part of the problem. They never said the game would be made with that money. It's their way of showing that there is fan interest to publishers. More than any of the big kick starters it seemed like it was the least of a sure thing.
Guess the publishers were right in this case then.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Who do I need to donate money to in order to see a new proper Blood game.

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

Who do I need to donate money to in order to see a new proper Blood game.

Me. Everyone give me your money.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Master_Odin posted:

Guess the publishers were right in this case then.

It was a terrible pitch.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I promise I'll be back with a whole bunch of terrible Kickstarters but I'm busy at the moment. In the meantime here is one of my favorite bad Kickstarters.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1531189219/bloodycastle?ref=search

Give candles to happy strutting skeletons! Make checkers bleed. Open the bonechest. You can even slide tiles!!!! It's so bad yet there's a weird earnestness to it.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 22, 2012

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Quest For Glory II posted:

I promise I'll be back with a whole bunch of terrible Kickstarters but I'm busy at the moment. In the meantime here is one of my favorite bad Kickstarters.

Give candles to happy strutting skeletons! Make checkers bleed. Open the bonechest. You can even slide tiles!!!! It's so bad yet there's a weird earnestness to it.

Hahaha, checkers by way of these guys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNhTYJGjc2g

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

Oh wow it's like a parody of all this current terrible stuff... but it 'came out' way before all of this current crap? Kerry is obviously a genius. Also I really want to play that checkers game just to know what the hell is going on.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Not gonna lie I kind of want to play that game.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

So, is someone nostalgic for the old-style SNES era RPGs that totally doesn't exist in the thousands? Is someone anxious to play a game featuring graphics directly stolen from Final Fantasy 6, horrible framerate issues, weekly "gamisode" format and music by "a professional music producer".

Well, good news! All you need to do is help these guys reach 200,000 dollars, to fund Tempus Chronicle!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Azraelle posted:

So, is someone nostalgic for the old-style SNES era RPGs that totally doesn't exist in the thousands? Is someone anxious to play a game featuring graphics directly stolen from Final Fantasy 6, horrible framerate issues, weekly "gamisode" format and music by "a professional music producer".

Well, good news! All you need to do is help these guys reach 200,000 dollars, to fund Tempus Chronicle!

Who can say "no" to these candid motherfuckers?

So diverse!