Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

snipermonkey posted:

I think it's the oversaturation of projects at the same time. Leading to people not having money to donate or when they do get the money, they probably forget the kickstarters they were mildly interested in.

For me the tough thing on a lot of these things is you're talking not getting anything solid for a year+ in return. It's going to burn more and more people out and I think better strategy going forward is going to be games that are ready for alpha access and look awesome to go to Kickstarter for their last development push.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Achmed Jones posted:

Either way, if you want to be smart with your money, you'll wait until the drat game comes out and gets good reviews, and then buy it. The "reward" you're talking about isn't a reward, it's "Hey, I didn't waste my money." There are other ways to accomplish that goal.

If everyone thought like you this new way to produce games would never had taken off. There would be no Wasteland 2, no Shadowrun, no Banner Saga, nothing.

Being smart with your money means more than just waiting for a game to come out and then wait for a sale on it. Being smart with your money means you understand that this process requires funding that comes from your pre-order, and choosing the right projects to fund is where being clever is important. The "reward" is that you actually get a game you wanted, but if you had not helped its funding, there would be no game. This isn't hard to grasp.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly
I don't know if this has been posted yet, but an old friend of mine is running a kickstarter for his RPG Alcarys Complex.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/modestarcade/alcarys-complex

He's been working on this game for years (like, at least half a decade, as long I've known him) and he's really pouring himself into it. He's also a veteran, which is probably why the project has taken so long. But yeah, this is definitely a quality game and he's been working super hard on it for a long time so at least check it out.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Chef Boyardee posted:

RPG Alcarys Complex.

And speaking of being smart with one's money :frog::pipe:

Good news, by the way. Grim Dawn has reached its goal and still has an additional ten days to collect extra funds.

Thewittyname
May 9, 2010

It's time to...
PRESS! YOUR! LUCK!

Rebel Blob posted:

Man, it hasn't been all that long and new Kickstarter projects seem to be getting zero coverage. I just stumbled upon Skyjacker browsing Kickstarter, which seems like something that might have gotten more attention not too long ago. At least they have a nice looking gameplay video. Too bad the pitch is bizarre and poorly written, even accounting for the fact that English is probably not the first language of the writer.

Ooooh, thanks for posting this, I just contributed. Out of all the "dead" game genres, the one I want back the most are space combat sims. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they're doing particularly well. This and Starlight Inception are the two I'm following now, and neither look likely to make it.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

If everyone thought like you this new way to produce games would never had taken off. There would be no Wasteland 2, no Shadowrun, no Banner Saga, nothing.

That's pretty irrelevant to, well, everything. Yes, if everyone made the same decision, Kickstarter wouldn't work. Since the world you describe is nothing like the real world, though, we can ignore it and instead base our actions off of other people's behavior. As you say, "This isn't hard to grasp."

quote:

but if you had not helped its funding, there would be no game

You're right. If I hadn't donated to Banner Saga or Wasteland 2, they wouldn't have happened. It's all me. You're welcome.

The point (that you missed quite spectacularly) is that Kickstarter is not a venue for being "smart" with your money. It's a venue for backing projects that you'd like to see made and getting a warm fuzzy feeling from it. It isn't quite charity, because you hopefully get something back, but it's pretty close to it. Support projects that you want to support. Similarly, donate to the history museum if you want to see more dinosaur bones, and donate to your local public gallery if you want to see public art. The latter two will usually come with a free tote bag or coffee mug, but you're not giving MoMA $100 or whatever for a tote bag. Similarly, you're not giving your pet project $25 in exchange for a video game that may or may not be made. You're giving them money and hoping they'll make the product, because you want to give them a shot and it makes you feel good to do it. If you're going to be hyper-rational with your money and look for return on investment and all that, Kickstarter is not the place for you. Read: if you're going to be "smart" with your money, Kickstarter is not for you. It is for giving money to projects and then feeling good about that.

You can make better and worse decisions when it comes to which projects to back, of course, but when an investment is "better" to you, it generally also looks "better" to other people and therefore the impact of your $50 or whatever decreases tremendously. The Kickstarters where your money actually would help a game get made that otherwise would not are precisely those that are less likely to produce a satisfactory product. So follow your heart.

ElProducto
Oct 9, 2001
if you want to live low, live low
Jane Jensen got funded. God what is wrong with people, just look at the picture that this self centered woman put on the top of the kickstarter page. You think something good is going to come from this? Doublefine, an established studio, wanted $100k more to make one short little adventure game. She wants to start a brand new studio and make TWO games? Please.

Also, Malachi Rector and 'old school sierra puzzles' that killed the genre in the first place. Awesome.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Eisenwald is still in a good place. They're up to 40.5k with 14 days left to get the other 9.5k.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

ElProducto posted:

Jane Jensen got funded. God what is wrong with people, just look at the picture that this self centered woman put on the top of the kickstarter page. You think something good is going to come from this? Doublefine, an established studio, wanted $100k more to make one short little adventure game. She wants to start a brand new studio and make TWO games? Please.

Also, Malachi Rector and 'old school sierra puzzles' that killed the genre in the first place. Awesome.

How dare this self centered woman* make adventure games.

*also created best adventure game ever, gabe knight

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

ElProducto posted:

I can't tell if you're pretending to be vaguely misogynist or not.

She's an established game maker here. The Gabriel Knight series was good. Grey Matter was pretty cool, but struggled to get published via traditional methods. This seems like exactly what Kickstarter is there for.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

InShaneee posted:

I can't tell if you're pretending to be vaguely misogynist or not.

She self-identifies as a woman and has female genitalia (as far as anyone knows), so it's fairly safe to refer to her as a woman, if that's the part that's supposed to be vaguely misogynistic.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
Oh no, that I get. I was more referring to the fact he seems to be kinda angry about the fact that she's a woman in the first place. I could be reading too much into it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

InShaneee posted:

Oh no, that I get. I was more referring to the fact he seems to be kinda angry about the fact that she's a woman in the first place. I could be reading too much into it.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, person. It seemed like that man just had very little regard for the games that woman was involved in, not that that woman was a woman.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Eisenwald updated to celebrate crossing 80%. They didn't post any new videos, but they did post some stuff about character creation, HUD, world map, party formation stuff. http://aterdux.com/archives/249

Looks kind of like a Mount And Blade unit upgrade system, which is cool by me. Infact the whole game looks like if Mount And Blade played like Heroes of Might and Magic 3, which just, drat.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Eisenwald updated to celebrate crossing 80%. They didn't post any new videos, but they did post some stuff about character creation, HUD, world map, party formation stuff. http://aterdux.com/archives/249

Looks kind of like a Mount And Blade unit upgrade system, which is cool by me. Infact the whole game looks like if Mount And Blade played like Heroes of Might and Magic 3, which just, drat.

That guy just seemed so happy when he tried to hand me that sword at the end. :allears:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I'm not on board with Sierra adventure games at all, but wasn't the second Gabriel Knight a terrible FMV game and the third one widely regarded as one of the worst adventure games of all time? One for three is not a great average.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Fun Shoe

Al! posted:

I'm not on board with Sierra adventure games at all, but wasn't the second Gabriel Knight a terrible FMV game and the third one widely regarded as one of the worst adventure games of all time? One for three is not a great average.

The third one had some pretty awful gameplay, and the second one had some execution issues, but all that Jane Jensen was responsible for was the writing, which was pretty good through all three.

e:

Mordaedil posted:

I'm personally holding off on sponsering more Kickstarters until I see one launch successfully.

If you want one to watch, odds are good on FTL being the first across the line as far as 'gaming kickstarters that produced products as promised' are concerned.

InShaneee fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 8, 2012

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Al! posted:

GK II was an FMV game and also widely regarded as one of the few actually good FMV games.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Chef Boyardee posted:

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but an old friend of mine is running a kickstarter for his RPG Alcarys Complex.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/modestarcade/alcarys-complex

He's been working on this game for years (like, at least half a decade, as long I've known him) and he's really pouring himself into it. He's also a veteran, which is probably why the project has taken so long. But yeah, this is definitely a quality game and he's been working super hard on it for a long time so at least check it out.

Thanks for posting this. It actually looks better than I thought it would, and I ended up donating. I admit that part of the reason is I'm fascinated by these projects that are so indie they probably can't even get on Steam, since I might have a project like that soon, too. The writing also didn't seem abjectly terrible, which is a step up from the vast majority. He didn't show anywhere near enough for me to say anything more positive than that, but what the hell, I've been eating in lately anyway.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dragonrah posted:

GK II was an FMV game and also widely regarded as one of the few actually good FMV games.

Yep, that and Tex Murphy (which incidentally is also getting a Kickstarter :haw:)

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Thewittyname posted:

Ooooh, thanks for posting this, I just contributed. Out of all the "dead" game genres, the one I want back the most are space combat sims. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they're doing particularly well. This and Starlight Inception are the two I'm following now, and neither look likely to make it.

Starlight inception definately COULD make it , if they ramp up their publicity a bit. I only found it by browsing and it looks good.

They have 14 days to raise $40K, and they have raised $110K so far. Thats good , thats on track. They just need to really kick it out to the game press and target the spacegame dork markets a bit harder with marketing, and they'll roll it in.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

duck monster posted:

They have 14 days to raise $40K, and they have raised $110K so far. Thats good , thats on track. They just need to really kick it out to the game press and target the spacegame dork markets a bit harder with marketing, and they'll roll it in.
14 hours.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

Rebel Blob posted:

Man, it hasn't been all that long and new Kickstarter projects seem to be getting zero coverage. I just stumbled upon Skyjacker browsing Kickstarter, which seems like something that might have gotten more attention not too long ago. At least they have a nice looking gameplay video. Too bad the pitch is bizarre and poorly written, even accounting for the fact that English is probably not the first language of the writer.

See this? This is what I thought I'd be getting when I backed Starlight Inception. Because Skyjacker is fairly far along in development, they were able to do like Grim Dawn and post early gameplay footage as their pitch video. (No fake phone call!) That video plus the statement that you can choose the flight model you want got them my $50.

Starlight Inception has less than a day to go and is at about 77%, so I think it has a good shot of making its goal. Still, even though I'm not going to withdraw my pledge over it (the Skyjacker rejection letters from the major publishers reinforce that methods like this are the only way we're getting space sims), I feel like the more I hear about Starlight Inception's design aspects the less enthusiastic I am for it. The original pitch for Starlight Inception was "like Wing Commander, TIE Fighter, Freespace" etc, so I backed it. Then come the next update, "oh, we decided we're going to use Newtonian physics."

Man, gently caress NEWTONIAN PHYSICS IN SPACE SIMS. The reason Wing Commander, TIE Fighter, and Freespace were so great to begin with was because they DIDN'T use a physics model that made moving around a chore. The space sim fans that are still around and still vocal are the ones who like the arcade-style sims more than the Independence War-type stuff. The X series feature movement and an interface that's so mega-complicated I can't figure out how to even start playing it. I'm not sure gearing the game to that crowd would help since the people who want that get a new X game fairly regularly.

They're saying they understand how the Newtonian model can result in difficult controls, but considering they also plan to do multiplayer, add a tower defense mode (wha...?), and support the PS Vita interface (touchscreen, gyroscope, etc) I feel somewhat uneasy. I guess that's the gamble of Kickstarter, but if the Starlight Inception PR can manage to clearly communicate precisely what they want the gameplay and controls to resemble (as opposed to "well, we're still thinking about it..."), then I think their chances of getting funded will go way up.

Daryl Surat fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 8, 2012

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Daryl Surat posted:

Man, gently caress NEWTONIAN PHYSICS IN SPACE SIMS. The reason Wing Commander, TIE Fighter, and Freespace were so great to begin with was because they DIDN'T use a physics model that made moving around a chore. The space sim fans that are still around and still vocal are the ones who like the arcade-style sims more than the Independence War-type stuff. The X series feature movement and an interface that's so mega-complicated I can't figure out how to even start playing it. I'm not sure gearing the game to that crowd would help since the people who want that get a new X game fairly regularly.

:psyduck: What?

First of all, Wing Commander actually used newtonian physics; it just also imposed a global speed limit (which you can break by using afterburners, enabling all kinds of cool tricks) so that you don't break the simulation by careening out of the mission area at one-tenth lightspeed.

Secondly, the X series very notably does not use newtonian physics. The problems with X's user interface have nothing to do with the physics and everything to do with the fact that Egosoft can't design a good UI for anything, plus the fundamental problem that the whole concept of the game is that you are running a galaxy-wide military-industrial complex from the cockpit of your fighter.

It is entirely possible to have newtonian physics and also have an accessible UI. The easiest way to do this - which is what Wing Commander did, and more recently, I-War 2, Tachyon: The Fringe, and Evochron Mercenary - is just to assume the user wants to move in the same direction they're pointing; the player sets a speed and points in a direction, and the game automatically manages the thrusters to get them moving in that direction at that speed. And then there's a button you can press that puts you into "raw newtonian" mode and lets you spin around without changing your course to shoot at things behind you and suchlike.

My ideal space sim would be another Wing Commander, but everything since then seems to have way more complicated controls and a way less detailed simulation. :(

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

ToxicFrog posted:

It is entirely possible to have newtonian physics and also have an accessible UI. The easiest way to do this - which is what Wing Commander did, and more recently, I-War 2, Tachyon: The Fringe, and Evochron Mercenary - is just to assume the user wants to move in the same direction they're pointing; the player sets a speed and points in a direction, and the game automatically manages the thrusters to get them moving in that direction at that speed. And then there's a button you can press that puts you into "raw newtonian" mode and lets you spin around without changing your course to shoot at things behind you and suchlike.

This is what Kinetic Void does now as of last nights patch.

Quadradextrous
Jun 6, 2010
Looks like after some discussion the UK studio responsible for Carmageddon (the original, before Square Enix ran off with it and caused a big ol' fight to get the IP back) is going to kickstart the new game in lieu of publishing. I'm pretty interested!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stainlessgames/carmageddon-reincarnation?ref=home_location

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

ToxicFrog posted:

accessible UI ...
... Evochron Mercenary
Come now, as much as I agree with you, this wont help your argument.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Quadradextrous posted:

Looks like after some discussion the UK studio responsible for Carmageddon (the original, before Square Enix ran off with it and caused a big ol' fight to get the IP back) is going to kickstart the new game in lieu of publishing. I'm pretty interested!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stainlessgames/carmageddon-reincarnation?ref=home_location

Yeah, I saw Notch tweet about this, I've got to back this. I absolutely loved the original Carmageddon and Carmageddon 2.

njark
Apr 26, 2008

Show them the Wasteland

Quadradextrous posted:

the pitch video is pretty terrible but god drat if i don't love me some carmageddon.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

njark posted:

the pitch video is pretty terrible but god drat if i don't love me some carmageddon.

By making a funny video and being wildly successful Tim Schafer set a terrible precedent and now every game developer thinks they can be funny.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

njark posted:

The part where he was under the truck was funny. :shobon: The rest was loving cringeworthy though. You could really tell that almost everyone there really wasn't comfortable in front on a camera.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Didn't have a fake phone call, sounded pretty good to me.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Quadradextrous posted:

Man, I loved playing this game with my baby brother. Sent them some bucks.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Furret Basket posted:

Come now, as much as I agree with you, this wont help your argument.

Ok, yeah, E:M's overall interface is kind of bad (although not even in the same league as, say, X2). I remember the flight controls being really straightforward, though.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Blodskur posted:

14 hours.

Oh. Thats sad.

:(

Souai
Dec 16, 2007
Yay Carmageddon, I didn't have an issue with the video, seemed well above average and balanced.

Definitely backing it, loved that style of game.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/114022296/multi-platform-video-game-release

I'm not quite sure if this is a joke or not, but it's pretty funny regardless.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

quote:

Pledge $300 or more

Get your choice of my remote martial arts training service or my remote computer and network security service for a year plus the rewards above once my funding goal is met! You can go to my YouTube channel for more details on my remote services and what you'll need to use these them.

It's... it's not a joke :negative:

Oh god, it gets worse.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 8, 2012

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Amppelix posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/114022296/multi-platform-video-game-release

I'm not quite sure if this is a joke or not, but it's pretty funny regardless.

Awesome kickstarter strategy, boast about not being very transparent, not even tell us what the project is, except "sports", whilst promising about 20 diferent platforms, all for a low low price of $1500.

:psyduck:

e: Oh, he wants a unity3d pro license. huh. Its a kickstarter project so he can buy a piece of software towards an undisclosed goal of some game he might make, eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
He wrote the word "video game" in virtually every phrase of this crazy text: "Im working on a video game project please give money I will use to publish my current video game project and future video game project my video game is based on a video gam"

EDIT: I bet is Pong