Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Palpek posted:

So are some gaming projects on indiegogo straight copies of kickstarters that some random person just stole to scam people out of money? Or are those the same studios looking for funds on both sites at the same time?

Like Yogventures for example.

Yeah, scam. The guy who opened the Indiegogo for Yogventures, if you click his pic, runs this one as well.

quote:

I am currently trying to help a friend of mine get his game off the ground. I need about 2 grand to help pay for programming and design. We only have a month before the programmers quit, so please help quickly. God bless you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
I'm always squeamish of Kickstarters that have grammar issues and misspellings, but given that the Legends of Eisenwald guys aren't native English speakers, they get a pass. The game looks awesome, and I am down for $15.

edit: Has it been mentioned that Leisure Suit Larry got funded?

Strenuous Manflurry fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Apr 26, 2012

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
I really hope developers using Kickstarter eventually realize that they are not allowed to edit their tiers, and should thus look them over a couple of times before posting.

Anyway, Legends of Eisenwald is just shy of $9000, a long way still from their 50K goal. Wonder if they project can make it. They have 24 days left, but no real hype.

Grim Dawn, on the other hand, is over the halfway point with $193,496 of $280,000 raised. Still might be tough, but I think they might pull it off, what with 3 weeks to go and all. I'd like to play both of these games!

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Rebel Blob posted:

So Mythic: The Story of Gods and Men, I guess it isn't really plagiarism, but they copied The Banner Saga's tiers and rewards almost word for word.

Hilarious. Look at this poo poo.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
God drat, this is just so shameless I had to do another one.

Looks like the Banner guys are cool with it, so good on them. But yeah, as has been said, the project itself looks shady as gently caress.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Good catch, octoroon. Here's an example. All they did, literally, is crop it the photos.

And just to have it.

Hilarious.

edit: Link to the Kickstarter, just to have it in on this page. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/273246798/mythic-the-story-of-gods-and-men

Strenuous Manflurry fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 28, 2012

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
The only name attached to these guys is "Seth Westfall" or something like that. He's this fucker, from their pitch video.

That's literally the only name we have out of a company that claims "If you enjoyed playing WOW between 2009-2011, or Diablo 2 then you are very welcome! We worked many hard years to put a part of each of us into those titles."

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Great job everyone. Allow this to be the legacy of Seth Westfall.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Fintilgin posted:

He's probably really angry right now and feels like HE'S just been cheated out HIS easy money. It makes you smile, it does. :dance:

And he appears to have deleted his Kickstarter page in a huff, too. Wonder how much longer the website will remain open.

octoroon posted:

Also, this whole debacle has made me pretty serious about the idea of putting up a "ScamStarter" site for reporting this kind of stuff publicly. Does anyone else think that would be worth doing? If it's a dumb idea I won't waste my time, but it seems like it could be a legitimately helpful niche to fill.

It would not be a terrible idea to make a Tumblr or something, a la Shitstarter.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

octoroon posted:

I feel so accomplished!

Yes! Something I helped with wound up on RPS. What a masterful day this is!

Big ups to octoroon, Der Shovel, and everyone who helped. All I did was take a couple screenshots, others did all the heavy lifting. Teamwork!

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

LumberingTroll posted:

Kinda sad we still aren't notable to the OP :(

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seanpollman/kinetic-void

Well, at least know that after passing on backing the game due to it being (what I assumed was) Yet Another Space Game, I clicked the link and actually READ the pitch this time, and now I'm in for $20. This game looks fun as hell.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

LumberingTroll posted:

Awesome! Dont forget to check out the Shipyard, people are having a blast making ships.

Oh, I will when I get home. I wanna build a really big ship. :)

And by the way, we live immortalized on Wikipedia now, apparently, for our efforts in blowing up Mythic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kickstarter#Projects_cancelled_for_potentially_fraudulent_activity

Well, sort of. WE don't get mentioned in article or anything.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Well that Kickstarter is certainly an example of What Not To Do.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

LumberingTroll posted:

Another thing about the Kickstarter site, does anyone else find it annoying how they list stuff?

What if I dont care about the staff picks, or whats popular, I just want a list, by publish date of all Kickstarters in a category.

It's weird, but I wonder what the best way of listing them would be, simply given the sheer number of new Kickstarter projects made every day. An attempt to just list them per day would be nice to have as an option, at the very least.

In other news, Skyjacker is doing pretty well. 39 days to go, and they're at 62K of a 200K total.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Al! posted:

I guess I'm more of a glass half-empty person but I see the fact that they have only raised that much with only 39 days left as very worrisome, especially at their current rate of about 1500 a day. I know things pick up towards the end of a project's lifespan but they're looking at a deficit of about 80k. LumberingTroll's project was salvaged in the last day and a half but they had far less to make up and were far higher profile.

That's fair. Numbers have been very slow the last few days. They are likely gonna need some coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
The OP hasn't been updated since August, and I've caught up with the last few pages, but are there any Kickstarters currently going or primed to start that people here are excited about? Obviously the Torment sequel/spiritual sequel is looming, but what else is coming?