Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PonchAxis posted:

Megaman's 25th anniversary was Capcom giving away a fanmade game. There will probably not be a new Megaman in a long time.

Actually, if Inafune is making a NotMegaMan, it's pretty likely Capcom will rush one out to compensate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PonchAxis posted:

I'll honestly take a bet this won't happen!

Sounds good. If Mighty 09 comes out and we don't have a new Mega Man project of some sort at least announced, I'll get you platinum or something. We'll both lose if I win though because it'll be Double Helix Presents: Mega Man.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chip Cheezum posted:

The new Guilty Gear that was announced looks like it uses 2D sprites for the characters, but they're actually full on 3D models. It'd be really cool if Mighty No. 9 could achieve something like that.

God, that would be incredible but I doubt a small team will be able to pull of something like that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cosmic Star Heroine gives me an insane amount of Phantasy Star vibes. I hope to god it lives up to that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BenRGamer posted:

Hey, if you're concerned about it, ask them in the CoH thread I linked--they really do seem to be passionate about it.

It isn't that I'm concerned about it. It is that it literally has no chance of success. A team with no experience is not going to be able to make a fully-functional subscription MMO. They may be passionate about it but donating to them is just a quick way to lose your money.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Warcabbit posted:

Actually, CoH didn't trust the client. And we've not forgotten that lesson. That's part of why there isn't a grey server right now - getting through the encryption wasn't easy. If I remember right. I may not. It was a different team working on that, which I carefully learned as little about as possible.

And yes, this is risky. I've never said it wasn't risky. But again, we've _had_ the interpersonal dramas and fallouts over the year we've been together. I'm not saying there won't be another, but all of the obvious ones are done. That's part of why we waited so long, to make sure we were 'together' as a company.

No offense is intended by this, but you've still not actually explained how you plan to do this. I mean making a MMO is not an easy task, let alone one which is designed to both mimic and improve upon City of Heroes. The road of game design is littered with the corpses of MMOs and those are MMOs where the people working on it are not entirely volunteers working on a shoestring budget (many of whom are apparently doing it in their spare time.)

You're optimistic, you're confident, but nothing you've said gives the impression you have any kind of gameplan. Your Kickstarter page is largely a ton of words saying "we're really really sure we can do this" without much backing it up. You're telling people to trust you but that is about it, which is not very confidence-building when you're taking people's money to do it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 3, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I was under the impression that you couldn't use Kickstarter funds for salaries. How would that make it any different than any other game?

You're mistaken. Many kickstarters even mention how it is going to paying the people working on the game so they can dedicate all their time and effort to it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jbone posted:

So yes, you're right to be skeptical. But don't count it out.

And again, no offense intended, but that still isn't an answer. Why shouldn't be we count it out? Even your clarification is "he said he can do it and they're really dedicated to doing it."

Telling me "they've got a gameplan" doesn't help when I can't find that gameplan at all. Telling me to look through several months of forums posts doesn't help either because I tried looking through what I could see and found nothing but a lot of pluck and vinegar and some vague promises.

I have absolutely no doubts that the team is dedicated and cares about what they're doing but they are asking people to invest money in them and "we're really dedicated" isn't and shouldn't be enough even for a regular game. An MMO is something to be thrice as skeptical about. What they have here is nothing but giant glowing neon warning signs when it comes to Kickstaters. The fact that they're half-funded already proves there is enthusiasm for the project but from my perspective it also means it's a lot more likely that a lot of people are going to be out $50 or more.

I have friends who love CoH and are interested in this and I need more than promises to explain why I shouldn't warn them away.

CapnAndy posted:

I... I haven't backed Hyper Light Drifter, and I don't think I'm going to.

I'm just sick to death of games doing insanely blocky pixel art like we're all back on Atari 2600s or something, it's gotten on my last nerve. Is that so wrong?

I'm in the same boat honestly. I think the game looks fun but I am completely dead on the art style.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, I didn't even know this existed. I have huge nostalgia for General Chaos that it probably doesn't live up to.

Warcabbit posted:

I am currently limited on what I can say about other funding sources. In fact, I'm a little limited on what I can say about a lot of things - we're not ready to reveal business plans or precise technology. That being said, all of your questions have been considered. Including the ones about the servers. The launch servers are going to be expensive, but we don't need those for a while.

I've given you all I can for now.

Unfortunately, I don't think 'don't make a MMO' is a viable option, given that the base plan is 'make a MMO'.

Then you're doing a bad job of promoting yourself. That's all there is to it. You're 'limited' on what you can say. You're hiding things while asking the public to fund your game. Do you not see how you sound incredibly Ouya? Do you not see how you look like a giant scam I want to warn everyone away from promoting?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shalinor posted:

I would back the crap out of that.

Seconded. Full co-op Freedom Force would be fantastic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Nevermind, misread

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Archbishop Karaoke posted:

For the Square-Enix Collective thing, somebody has to get on an Urban Chaos: Riot Response successor. Best one-off FPS of the sixth generation - which nobody noticed because it came out in between all the new consoles ramping up.

Also, yeah, give Knite and the Ghost Lights some money. Shameful if it doesn't make it.

The guys who made it went on to make Arkham Asylum so it eventually worked out for them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

papasyhotcakes posted:

Ghost Song just sent a pretty nice update regarding artwork in the game and the progress he has been making.

I love his style, and can't wait to see some actual footage of the game in its new version

Man, that gives me an insanely Super Metroid vibe. In a good way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Project Sen is a nice idea but just to echo what people are saying, the art design on the two 'character info" pictures really doesn't hit 'big girl' so much as it does 'fetish art.' The body structure as a whole doesn't really fit together. It's understandable to some degree, a lot of artists are just not taught how to draw larger women, but the initial impression (especially on the internet) is going to come closer to 'this is someone's fetish game' than anything else. The overly small head and the general design of the legs really are what give that impression and the proportions in general seem like they could use some work.

I'll also echo that the sprites themselves look better proportioned and less deviantarty and I (for the most part) like how they look.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 10, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Uncle Jam posted:

I'd say 75% of my life drawing classes were 'larger women' and it seems to be a pretty common thing to experience in classes or sessions, this is just lovely fetish art.

Well, it could be. v:shobon:v I'm giving benefit of the doubt that this isn't just someone trying to make their own fetish Metroid but I could be rightly wrong.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Huh. those are actually three really good choices.

Mascot platformers are ripe for Kickstarting and Gex is just recognizable enough to be useful while so obscure and ancient you could basically do whatever with him as long as he has wisecracks.

Fear Effect is cheesecake and survival horror but had a lot of potential to be something really interesting in the right hands, and I could see an indie version of Fear Effect being a great game if they play up the 'weird-rear end mythology" and downplay the "lesbians making out" parts.

Anachronox is basically a "hey, do you want to kickstart a sequel to an awesome game? Sure you do!" situation and invites older developers a chance to get onboard.

They're kind of better choices for getting people to kickstart interesting games then Deus Ex or Tomb Raider would be in that regard.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't know about that. I'd put Gex in the same category as Boogerman, James Pond and Dizzy. It would fail horribly, and also go back and play that game - it is awful. Might as well Kickstart Oscar while we're at it.

Gex had three games across multiple platforms. It wasn't a great game but it isn't Boogerman either and the basic concept is ripe for modern Kickstarting platforming games. It'd have to be better than the PSX game to really be worth it but the IP is probably worthwhile enough that someone could figure out a way to make something of it without be beholden to whatever came before.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 10, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

I'd be all for an Anachronox sequel if Square doesn't utterly botch it. I still need to play the first Fear Effect, I've had it for months.

Fear Effect is like the definition of a game that has aged poorly. It has some really unique and interesting ideas but it also controls like balls and literally features The Macarana as an important puzzle clue.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZackRI posted:

Hey, probably didn't catch my earlier post. All Art, graphics, animations etc. are all works in progress. We're still early enough in development that a lot of things can change. And we appreciate all critiques. It helps us grow as game makers. Thanks!

I did miss it, so I'm glad to hear!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SaviourX posted:

Yo I ain't even backed that Sen game, but you goons is being loving goony again.

2 pieces of character/concept art that is slightly anime, but fatter! Oh loving nooooos.

I forgot we were in the realm of video games, where character design/art is well-proportioned, lifelike, and naturalistic.

Like, I can understand being against anime, or the (slightly) weird calves, but man. Glancing through my facebook, at least half the women on there have some kind of similar shape (minus the calves). But yeah, the instant you draw something a little exaggerated for women, I forgot it becomes BBW and Anime Fetish. Did I end up in a subreddit? Christ.

Boy, it's a good thing nobody points out those designs as well. Absolutely nobody said anything about the Arkham Asylum Poison Ivy or the Skullgirls designs before release. The Skullsgirl thread didn't have a standing rule not to discuss that in the thread because it was pointed out so much.

As I said in my post, the sprites are fine and are much better proportioned for what they are trying to do. The art just looks a little off but in ways that are fairly easy to fix while still keeping the characters larger women. The creators seem fairly receptive to criticism and don't seem to be intending their characters to come off that way so I don't think it's particularly harmful to point it out.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 12, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaspy Conana posted:

Yup, IP is all mine! Our composer's lawyer looked over the agreement too, just to be safe. He was surprised at how good the terms were. :D

Awesome. Sounds like a winning deal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BiggerJ posted:

Guess who's back? And he's finally revealed what his mysterious 'game-within-a-game' is - except it doesn't seem to be within a game any more. It's basically PuzzleScript for falling-block puzzle games, and with singleplayer and multiplayer modes. Releases are planned for PC and Ouya. No mention of the nD.

Bob's Game... for OUYA.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SilverSupernova posted:

Well, the Lobodestroyo campaign seems desperate to reach their main goal in their last few days. They upgraded a few of their reward tiers including the commemorative n64 style cartriges.

Man, I just find that art style insanely unappealing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Megazver posted:

So Deathfire: The Namening got finally cancelled. Not a surprise but a bit of a shame.

Well, they're doing a full refund at least judging from that, so anyone who invested isn't getting screwed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Darkest Dungeon really just knows how to push my buttons; new article out today where they give a callout to Darklands.

Well, drat. That interview just sold me on it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shalinor posted:

Also, that was like... years ago. They've done a ton of stuff since then. And I kind of liked it too, it was kinda neat for the time. :(

Regardless. It's an ENTIRE GAME themed around various instances of "he got me wit' his wire 'ting!". That... it kind of skips my filters and forces me to open my wallet. Come on, just:

This is

YES

EDIT: The 'indie multiplayer" thing is rough, this is true. I want to believe, I guess.

It looks so fun but I know it's going to die in a week even if it comes out and is good. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nobody cares about the stupid reddit bullshit, please don't poo poo up the thread with it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Orzo posted:

Although I think the legal aspect is kind of interesting (whether it's okay for her to use that image) this probably isn't really the right thread for it. Also, just because something is discussed on reddit doesn't mean it isn't allowed to be discussed here, that's really dumb.

The legal aspect has been discussed elsewhere in other terms. If you like I'll find some and PM them to you to avoid filling up the thread with the discussion. There's a lot going on here and the point of view presented in the original post is, intentionally or no, regurgitating crappy stuff from a specific part of Reddit. Considering the subject matter and issues involved, it really feels like putting it into the Kickstarter Gaming thread would be a good way to make the thread devolve into pretty crappy arguments. It's a complex issue and emotions are incredibly high on all sides of the argument which rarely leads to something that doesn't devour a thread whole.

I'm not trying to sound like a dick or anything like that and if I misunderstood the original post then I apologize, but there's basically no way it can end well in this thread and at least a large part of that is due to the actual legal issues involved being filtered through a lot of the actual assholes on Reddit.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 16, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like Barkley 2 will get finished but I do wish they were a bit more transparent about what is going on. Maybe that is because most of the other games I've kickstarted have been giving me regular frequent updates which really helps make it feel like they're going to get finished. (Admittedly they are all from developers who have released multiple games before.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BattleHamster posted:

With the amount of updates they've been doing it was probably not a smart idea to split the updates into regular updates and secret backer updates, but if you pledged more than 40 dollars you get an update about once a month.

That might explain it. I think that's a little dumb but hey, as long as it is getting made.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

xXEPIC_YOLOSWAGXx posted:

Why is there so many polar bear questions

Racism, duh.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Scorchy posted:

Yeah the tiers are weird but the game looks really good. Looks like early 90's RPG goodness. Backed it after seeing the skills and inventory screens in the video. They seem pretty far along, only issue is they don't seem to be asking for enough.

I get the feeling it is something that is going to come out no matter what, the kickstarter just would allow them to focus more directly on it and probably stretch for development they wouldn't otherwise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, I love the Fire Emblem games and I've played all of them, even the ones only in Japanese. They're really not super-complex games. They're largely about positioning and simple resource management tempered by semi-randomized stat gains and occasionally a specific game-exclusive mechanic. They can still be challenging (depending on the game) but complex they ain't.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fronz posted:

seems unlikely

You don't get it, man. Playing Assassin's Creed makes me unstoppable in any city filled with conveniently placed boxes and outcroppings.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like how there is going to be a key scene in the story where she loses her pants.

Like, just her pants. She's still wearing shoes but the pants gotta go. A super-iconic scene involving her pants mysteriously vanishing off the face of the Earth I guess.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shalinor posted:

Wow, pants talk just became secondary. JRPG fans, check out Shiness. Stupid name aside, it's a indie small-studio RPG that looks roughly on a level with Dragon Quest 8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnclkaX1vdI

EDIT: It looks kinda like one of those "was a main-line project for a studio, got dropped for whatever reason, people left studio to try to take it full-time" kinda things. There is DEFINITELY some budget in that pitch video. I'd assume they're looking to way overfund, this seems like a Shantae/etc-sized project.

poo poo, that looks really good. I guess I'm going to be breaking my rule of no more kickstarters until one of mine pays out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

http://www.twitch.tv/echlyn

Heart Forth Alicia stream going on right now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Segmentation Fault posted:

Try the next 15 minutes. It just got funded!

I don't know much about non-game kickstarters, but I hope they do stretch goals. I'd love to see them push for more funding to get even more books and videos in their library.

Their pitch says they have stretch goals in mind.

Goddamn, that is nuts.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shalinor posted:

I was not expecting the strong Zelda 2 influence, yet here it is, and it's lovely.

This really is a fantastic game. Probably the first I'm jazzed to have kickstart'ed and followed through to release.

Yeah, Shovel knight is the first Kickstarted game I've gotten and it paid off in spades for me. Aside from the short length I've got no complaints and the length isn't short in a bad way, aside from maybe the "Wily's Castle" equivalent being kinda half-assed and short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cicero posted:

Does Shovel Knight have multiple difficulty levels? If not, how hard are we talking about here? Thinking about getting it as a present for a kid down the line.

It's a pretty easy game honestly. You have infinite lives and a lot of items which invalidate the really hard parts. One of the earliest relics you get makes you immune to spikes and all damage for a limited period of time and can be spammed. It's hard but not overwhelmingly hard.