Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Never back a kickstarter that doesn't show gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I don't see what you mean.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

If you want to incentivise survival through cautious behaviour, don't put in a time limit.

If you want to have a freeform experience that is 'like watching a nature documentary' don't have an escalating difficulty curve with karma gates.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I think they added some caveats about 'up to 16', for all we know this is more for stuff like Base Defense missions and not normal to the game.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Megazver posted:

So somehow a MMO managed to come to Kickstarter in 2017 and still collect the 750k it asked for in one day:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1791529601/ashes-of-creation-new-mmorpg-by-intrepid-studios

Why is this a success? I don't get it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Heh yeah. If you read between the lines the only concrete game design experience they actually mention is playing D&D aged 6.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

There's probably not a lot of profit so it's not going to be a good decision for your local hedge fund, but I don't see buying a $1000 share to be a worse deal than 'back this kickstarter at $1000 and get a statuette and a forum badge'. Or a 'don't steal my money' emoji, even. The old justification for crowdfunding, that people are taking manifestly bad deals because it'll allow a game to exist that wouldn't otherwise, applies equally for Fig.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

To be quite honest when I think of 'another XCOM' I really think of a tactical (light-)rpg with good terrain usage. In the original you had the importance of corners, bunching up around doors, the usefulness of creating additional access points to UFOs, and clear sight lines to spot melee enemies early. That's one of the things Firaxis really delivered with the new XCOM, the sense that reading the map is really significant. Whereas pretty much every other tactical RPG just has people standing around in the open plinking or swiping at each other.

That's why I think the likes of Frozen Synapse is actually more like what I want.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Silent Storm's terrain destruction is a fun toy, but it kinda doesn't really go anywhere, and in a better game it would kinda undermine the systems. Given the AI doesn't shoot blindly through penetrable terrain, letting the player do that is brokenly overpowerful but also eventually kinda shallow. I mean, don't get me wrong, it makes for a fun moment when you realise you can kill everyone on a floor above your guys without risk by shooting through the wooden floorboards, but once you note that you can do that without having to do anything else for the next hundred hours it loses its shine.

For a similar reason, it's not just technological constraints that mean Firaxis is very careful to not hand you the free infinite terrain destruction Apocalypse had. You really need to design a game to accomodate that without allowing the degenerate solution, and no one it seems like has figured it out yet.

(Also SS2? They never made a sequel.)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Stuffing maps with civilians to act as human shields for enemies is papering over the cracks in the system at best.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

but a game is nothing without gameplay. might as well just do a drawing if art is the funnest bit.

The paradox of the industry is that a good artistic presentation is probably the key factor in grabbing eyeballs and getting people to pitch in money in say, a kickstarter project, but ordinary people will generally never pay money for digital drawings on their own, let alone stuff like 3d models.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Sure, let's make the Banner Saga with 10% of the money they had.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

FWIW, looking at the trailer on steam Plague Road's art style is a bit more readable in motion.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Those walking animations, yikes.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It means they pretty much haven't learnt any lessons from Poncho, it seems like.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

RTSes are in trouble as a genre IMO because it's actually two genres - the singleplayer RTS genre, which is mainly about the fun of throwing armies at each other and watching explosions, and the multiplayer RTS genre, which is about intense battles and APM and probably the most all-round challenging skill ceiling ever. Indies aren't that good at delivering the spectacle for the former, not when the likes of Total War and Company of Heroes have lifted the bar so drat high. For the latter, indie multiplayer games don't tend to last long either, and the whole genre has been cannibalised by MOBAs anyway. So outside of a few big studios, what you'll get are neat little things like Infested Planet, Creeper World and also stuff like Achron and Planetary Annihilation. You probably won't see any future big RTS revival projects.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I did like that they had an ability literally called Gun and Run.

Edit: Locational damage seems much more interesting than I figured. With the deterministic damage model it can be reasonable to disable dangerous attacks first, and other locations act as high damage crits that become only available when you go super close in. I'm a bit worried about Return Fire encouraging chokepoint based cheese though. But maybe shielded melee aliens counter that.

I also like the idea of the willpower economy replacing cooldowns.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 6, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I am a bit worried that the damage system might lead to a lot of tile counting though. Like if you know that you need to be within 10 tiles to one hit a crab, then things can get annoying.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I know it's paradoxical, but to pitch something like that you really need to give more examples of what the new art style is going to look like. You can't really expect people to shell out money entirely blindly.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I don't understand why Avellone left Obsidian when he's just going to make the same sort of thing with a different company.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I liked the Banner Saga combat system. :v:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Jeez, let the guy who created XCOM try and innovate a bit? Before you were all "I know XCOM clones have had a questionable track record" but now it's "wait it's doing something different??? CANCEL!"

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

XCOM clones have a questionable track record because they tended to be creatively bankrupt attempts to cash in on the formula while removing elements.

quote:

I'm happy he tried, but trying a new thing doesn't mean your new idea isn't terrible or that it doesn't completely undercut the point of your game.

Please tell me why what he showed does that.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Skyscraper posted:

Sure, I'd be happy to. If I do, will you tell me why automatic return fire is an innovation?

It provides an use for the locational damage mechanic (like a trade off is created - you can shoot off the bad guy's arm, and so receive no return fire, or you can just shoot the guy in the chest, in which case the increased damage+bleeding effect might well kill him this turn, but you'll take damage), and complicates target prioritisation (melee enemies are more dangerous, but don't do return fire). You'll note that return fire is triggered not from just the bad guy shot at, but *all enemies in LOS with a particular weapon*. So this opens up strategies like using the sniper to disarm enemies before hand, or using a smoke grenade to block off LOS and isolate enemies before you open up. It avoids the XCOM2 issue where you end up trying to maximise your burst damage and so avoid the AI ever getting a chance to act. It might also feed off the evolution/mutation system - for example, the aliens might not start with this ability, but instead gain it/get it strengthened over the course of the campaign, which varies up the challenge.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 7, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

DatonKallandor posted:

I very much doubt Phoenix Point will end up having every shot with 100% chance to hit by the time it comes out. Their little preview also didn't have any destructible environments, that doesn't it won't be in.

My speculation is that the ability for attacks to miss would be something caused by the Mist, since we know that Mist generators are also something the aliens introduce that benefits them and makes the game harder.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Skyscraper posted:

All good points, and a really good analysis. I look at XCOM:UFO / XCOM:EU/EW's (I haven't tried XCOM2 yet, I'm giving XCOM:EW a no-meld replay before I finally move on to XCOM2, tell me if it broke something) attempts to keep the AI from acting as a fundamental feature of the turn-based system, rather than a problem. I don't want the AI acting on my turn unless it was short (used fewer TU's or used an action to overwatch) on a previous turn, or it's a simultaneous or real-time system. Like the other poster said, it gives the whole thing a feel of attrition rather than a strategy where not getting shot is key to the gameplay (or where dying is unavoidable and your troops are expendable, as you like it). I think that's fundamentally a different game than the traditional X-Com gameplay, and while that doesn't have to be a bad thing (XCOM: TB wasn't terrible, or I didn't think it was anyway) it's bad by tactical game standards. XCOM:EU had smoke grenades, and disarming shots, they were both useful strategies. You should be controlling your LOS already in basic XCOM.

XCOM's disarming shot and smoke grenades were pretty lousy because it's always preferable to kill an enemy, and it's too unpredictable whether your smoke would actually help at all because the enemy can just choose to not shoot the guys in smoke. I just don't see why there's a problem here. There *are* still ways to not get shot, but it just becomes trickier, and you get an alternative strategy created where you can intentionally take more damage to deal it more quickly, at the risk of getting your guys closer to being killed if you miscalculate. You really aren't saying anything here other than "it's bad".

I mean, heck, for all we know those enemy gunners get their return fire because they went into overwatch. (XCOM2 also gives one class Free Overwatch as an optional ability also.... Also introduces MECs and Turrets, both of whom get to shoot, then go into overwatch. Heck in XCOM:EU you get the Berserkers, who get a free move action every time you attack them, while ethereals get that damage reflect.)

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 7, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

adding in mechanics at the last minute and making them optional sure is a way to make good games

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

In that post I was just referencing the thread title.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Mr Underhill posted:

Why am I not buying the bolded out part? And why, at least, wouldn't he acknowledge the damned campaign? Just make a 20 second video and put it up on Kickstarter, like "Yea man it's real, get to funding!".

Well, people are weird. OTOH he has forty days to tweet 'this kickstarter is a total scam', so I find it hard to believe it's totally fake.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

He may not have the legal team that Nintendo does.

I assume he can just tell Kickstarter to kill the campaign.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Calling out a private individual on the internet of 2017 is never a good idea.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Let's just ignore this mess and hope it goes away

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I 100% agree. This sort of drama should not be handled in this way.

(On that topic I checked up on the guy at the centre of the So Sorry Undertale drama and he seems okay now and is still reblogging Undertale stuff, so I'm glad that ended happily I guess)

Fangz fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 28, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

By lets I mean *us*.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Independently of what the Thermidor people did, it just doesn't ever seem like a good idea to try to promote an upcoming game on SAwful, does it?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

I don't know how many "Smash but with indie characters" games there are out there but at least this one has more interesting characters than another one I saw a streamer play a year ago that had the lowest-rent indie game characters I had ever seen. Like half the characters were boys with baseball caps because after Cave Story there was kind of a phase that people went through.

I have no clue who any of the characters in this one are but they're already more interesting

edit: it was this poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N62MQh6zpg

Haha, the only character I recognise is Poncho.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I really wanted to like the Chrono Cross combat system but I ultimately didn't like it very much.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Seriously, what's in it for Little Orbit?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Memento posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/312751524/the-iron-oath-dark-turn-based-tactical-rpg/description

This is interesting, looks like a good game and it's a well fleshed out campaign. It looks like it's on track to make it's goal pretty easily, and has an achievable release date as well. I'm cautious on the single dev thing though; he's got 10 years experience but he lists his games as Madden, NCAA Football and Tiger Woods Golf. Someone tell me why the titles don't matter and that ten years' experience is ten years' experience so I can back this.

The design looks kinda boring to be honest. The whole "uncovering and completing the main storyline of the game is entirely optional" bit raises my eyebrow. The main idea of the combat system - the Spirit system - just seems like a bad idea. No, losing the mana to use your cool abilities if you have an Ally KO'ed and gaining it for getting successful critical hits is going to make the game unbalanced as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Megazver posted:

New Fig project - VIRGO VS THE ZODIAC is kind of a Undertale-y, Earthbound-y JRPG. It looks interesting, I hope it makes it.

Looks nice! The one thing I'm not sure about is if the high res character art fits with the rest of the game's pixel styling.