Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I'm so happy for Tim and everyone and I backed Double Fine because at the end of the day, more than anyone else I believe that the talented folks at that company would be more than capable of making full benefit of the money they've been given in order to make a fantastic game. They've created games like Monkey Island and Day of the Tentacle on much smaller budgets and they have a real passion for their work, so it seems like a safe bet.

However I can't help but feel extremely annoyed at the amount of developers jumping onto using Kickstarter. The Wasteland 2 one I didn't mind so much because it sounded like something they really wanted to do, but then I hear bullshit like people wanting to develop Baldurs Gate 3 using Kickstarter and no no no this is completely stupid.

Until Kickstarter has proven itself to be a service where it's worth backing developers, that you'd get a product that has just as much if not MORE effort for your money than if you let a big name publisher take care of the deal, then it's just not worth putting your money behind a company. In Double Fine's case, Tim himself said he was overwhelmed by the response but fully believes that the circumstances in which it generated so much money was so incredibly specific, being a brand of customer loyalty and appreciation of a niche genre, that it's honestly not a great idea for devs to be using it as their main source of funding.

More than anything, having tons of would-be developers and big name titles in the service just devalues Kickstarter. It feels like a service that's supposed to help people who literally would have no other chance to develop a game, or the costs would be too prohibitive to risk releasing the final product.

That said, if Frédérick Raynal would like money to help make Little Big Adventure 3 then I'll gladly help out :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

quakster posted:

Nuh-uh. It's an Erotic RTS With Chinchillas.

With Kinect support.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
You'd better loving believe I put down some cash for the Carmageddon kickstarter. A new Carmageddon game to me is as glorious as the second coming of Jesus, shortly before he gets splattered by a dump truck.

Did you know they got their reference for the impact of running someone over in Carmageddon 1 by actually hitting a member of staff with a car? Repeatedly. In a parking lot. Which got the police concerned after a bystander reported them.

Then they hit him around the back of the head with a 2x4 to record his reactions for the "Prat-cam", which was a reactive portrait of the driver like the Doomguy face. These guys are loving insane, and I love them.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 12:34 on May 17, 2012

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

fondue posted:

I later made a female blood elf and didn't get any attention at all.

It's because all the dudes would obviously play as a pretty woman, so only a real woman would play as an ugly troll! :eng101:

:eng99:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Hakkesshu posted:

Something about this whole thing seems wrong to me. I mean, the character assets are literally just Nintendo sprites that he painted over. I feel like that should be illegal or at least viewed as unethical if it isn't already.

Terraria was a game that sold extremely well, and used painted over Final Fantasy sprites for its character.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Renoistic posted:

Just found the Project Giana Kickstarter. It's a new Giana Sisters game made by a team that used to work for the guy who stole/made the original, and featuring artwork and design made by the guy who worked on the decent Nintendo DS Giana Sisters game. It's PC only. The gimmick is that the sisters have different abilities, and you can change between the sisters at will, and when you do, the background and music do as well. The constant switching of music seems like it might get annoying fast, but I'm a sucker for old-school platformers and the background transformations look awesome.

Machinae Supremacy are lending their skills as well, and it's worth noting their music is pretty drat fantastic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKkmyMKbPKE

They also did the music for the Bionic Commando platformer remake.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

William Shatner posted:

I'm finding it amusing the disconnect between the number of Facebook likes and backers. We have nearly 300 likes, but only 120 backers. What?

Double Fine have said this was an issue with their older games. They'd get a hardcore fanbase for a release and gamers everywhere would swear what a good game it was, but looking at the sales figures barely anyone bought it.

The easiest answer is that it's easier for you to say you support something than actually doing something about it. See: Charities :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Urdnot Fire posted:

Sui Generis' latest update explains combat a bit more, including a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqaRqih7Cuw

And for those who said the character animations were a bit janky, they also said this:
I'm even more excited for this now :allears:

Die By The Theftrim :getin: