Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Tsurupettan posted:

I agree with this, that's the first thing I thought of when I read that line. 'Oh! A wii-remote. That could work.'

I'd buy into this just because Neal Stephenson.

I laughed out loud and shook my head for precisely the same reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

quote:

"They're more like 'I want to protect her.' There's this sort of dynamic of 'I'm going to this adventure with her and trying to protect her.'"

You heard it here, folks. Old Lara Croft was there so you could stare at her rear end while she clambered around. New Lara Croft exists to be white knighted.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

ToxicFrog posted:

It could be, but given that it's going to be the 4chan MRA shithead crowd making it, there's not a chance in hell that it will be.

Oh, like it's even going to leave the epithets and slurs stage of development.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm amused that they're using Indiegogo. "We're asking for X thousand... but we'll still keep the five hundred you guys send to us instead!"

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Mug posted:

Do a lot of people just instantly dismiss IndieGoGo on the assumption everyone uses Flexible Funding?

I will admit to that, though now I know better.

On a brighter note, that Antivirus game looks pretty nifty. I like how they're using two completely different aesthetics for the system and the invaders, and the invaders are definitely touching a bad spot in my brain already.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

Still. 600 pages of P&P RPG — what's not to love? :D

Examples of mechanics and print layout would have been good, honestly. The Traveller name has been attached to a number of systems over the years, and the table of topics that they have is not particularly illuminating on that front. I couldn't stand Megatraveller and consider the original Little Black Books a historical curiosity at this point, so without actual excerpts or a statement to the effect of 'yes, it's the original rules, accept no substitutes' you're pledging for a pig in a poke.

And shipping the PDF version out on CD is pretty weird in this day and age.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Francois Kofko posted:

His first stretch goal is double his goal. His last stretch goal is four times it, and for that much extra money he can... make a new character and world! It takes double the cash to add time attack and leaderboards. These are just so bad.

The guy behind Crystal Catacombs has taken that approach too. Twice base goal for a map editor? I dunno, maybe. It's fifteen grand. Thirty grand to hold a bloody level design contest? And finally forty-five grand, a whopping six times his base funding goal for co-op multiplayer in a game that really doesn't look like it would be well served with a second player.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm really thinking of tossing ten or fifteen toward Crystal Catacombs, because I like what he has to show so far, even if I think he's plucked a couple of the stretch goals out of the ether. Most of his pledge gifts seem to be inexpensive, or easily absorbed by the higher pledge levels where they're lodged, so he's got that going for him at least.

I've noticed a couple of kickstarters like Skyjacker using a... well, Skyjacker calls them 'bolt-ons', where in addition to higher pledge levels with extra swag, you can buy in for some of it at a lower level plus X dollars. I imagine that's something of a disincentive for buying in at higher levels, but at the same time it probably means someone who would just be buying in for a download at release might plop down for a T-shirt that'd otherwise be for $100+ supporters only.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

SupSuper posted:

You're not one for posting in general except when it's to advertise everywhere and copy-paste so bluntly you didn't even check if the links still worked.

Hahaha, holy poo poo, Jesus.

Edit: Ooh, a puppet master. That's as original and interesting as that project there!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

His tiers are kinda poo poo, but my absolute favorite part is the final one, which is such an audacious answer to the people who want him to release the source:

I like ADOM a lot but I don't think I can see myself donating for this, biskup hasn't worked on the game in what, ten years? And JADE took how long to materialize? He doesn't really have a proven track record. I don't doubt he'll make his goal though, I just doubt that we'll see anything worthwhile from it.

I remember way back, sometime before the game went to 'gamma' testing (more than beta, not quite release), when people were being dickholes over demanding cheat codes and save scumming, pointing out that they could put that stuff in when he released the source. So he turned around and announced that plan was no longer on the table. I think it was one of the first big belly-laughs the Internet gave me.

Then I got bored with the project, got tired of waiting for JADE, and now the idea of him needing fifty thousand bucks to develop a roguelike just makes me giggle quietly.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
His supporters are convinced that the last 48 hours magically produces rich fence-sitters, but I think he put that one out there just for laughs.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, no, no! You see, he's just using her as an example of a selfish person that you can take your anger out on! Really! Honest!

I'm really not sure what's going on with Cult's 'insert yourself' dealie. I imagine it's just adding your name to an internal database that's divided by backer level, but some of the people on the forums are writing extremely elaborate back-stories for their cults and realms.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I just tossed in for cult leader status, so I'm just expecting my KS moniker on a slightly buffed mob. Being asked to write a few factoids for my cult would be pretty drat nifty, though!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Dicking around kickstarter would only make them look bad, not kickstarter though.

Precisely. Kickstarter projects get canceled or fall through all the time. Trying to put any kind of negative spin on Kickstarter's involvement would be obviously disingenuous.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Rorus Raz posted:

I am really curious as to why they are using Kickstarter for what is a donation drive. I mean, more power to them if they want to fund their operations purely from reader donations again, but Kickstarter really isn't the place for collecting donations. People tend to expect a product out of you.

I'm not sure there's really a line between 'donation' and 'pledge' drives as Kickstarter is concerned. The promise of physical rewards and tie-ins is something that's developed since launch (overdeveloped, in the case of some) and isn't necessarily relevant to half their categories like 'dance' or 'food.'

Regardless, it's pretty clear this falls outside of KS's project guidelines.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Hosting costs? Hardly. Income from those ads? That's a more interesting question.

An even bigger question might be why they'd even joke about poisoning their relationship with their advertisers. Someone may have actually decided to look at the content their ads are riding on.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I remember a front-page article from years ago, where Lowtax eventually told an ad drone to gently caress off over an off-colour article written from years before, so that sort of thing is always close to mind.

I've also noticed that other advertisers have started to lower the boom on objectionable content, like Google reading the riot act to TVTropes over their rapipedia entries, and I heard about some fic site that was forced to remove all references to real life celebrities or face blacklisting.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
poo poo, Ars Technica has been doing a $25 yearly membership for a long while now, for that matter. My issue with them using Kickstarter is that it fails a whole rainbow of requirements to be considered a backable project. There's bound to be at least one crowdsourcing site that allows 'fund my life' and 'pay my ongoing business expenses' 'projects'.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Possibly the beginnings of a new protection racket on Totalbiscuit's part.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm not going to sneeze at it for being a Kickstarter-- they're contracted to Valve to produce CS:GO, no more and no less, and Valve probably isn't interested in hiring them to do anything else.

What strikes me as awkward is that they're starting off with improvements to Defense Grid, and only going on to finance development on DG2 if they make far more than their funding target. They say they need a million more than they have, but they're asking for 250K (and presumably hoping to coast the rest of the way).

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Hey, a personal message from a poster child for expensive toss-in bloat:

1. If you don’t want to pledge, TELL US WHY NOT. We can’t stress this enough - we can’t address a concern we haven’t heard.

With eleven days left, there really isn't a lot of time for addressing anything but pleas for grassroots support and... oh, yeah:

IF YOU DON’T WANT SKYJACKER TO SUCCEED

1. Sit back and relax ...

...comments that guarantee that I won't support any of your projects in future, you passive-aggressive shitstain.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It's not just a pitch, it's a pretty amusing one too!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

SupSuper posted:

Looks like the Jetpack 2 kickstarter decided to relaunch due to budget concerns, the goal is now just $10k and all the physical rewards were removed: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/adept/jetpack-2

The idiots behind the MULE remake have announced that they're doing much the same: with three days left, they've fallen over $400,000 short of their half a million dollar target.

Edit: Project Locus... nope, they're not offering the game at all. The kickstarter is to produce a 'vertical slice demo' that they'll hope to show off to producers. It's hidden near the bottom of the page, just before the vanity pics of the staff.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 12, 2012

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
"How appropriate, you pitch like a cow."

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Anaxite posted:

I'm not sure what to think; it's as if they're banking on people who liked Shadowrun Returns donating even more. Asking for more funding to develop a free-to-play MMO seems like really bad budgeting on their part.

On the other hand, multiplayer Shadowrun.

This one loses me on two points:

Browser-based MMO.
Kickstarter MMO.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

XboxPants posted:

The project lead describes it as "steampunk fantasy Animal Crossing meets Pokemon with airships and floating islands".

They lost me here. The bit where they say 'it's totally not like Farmville, we swear!' was just the muffled pleading as I walked away from the door.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The emphasis on ~hardcore~ gameplay and sandwich metaphors turned me away, but goddamn if they don't have some awesome feelies in the higher tiers. The arcade cabinet takes the bakery, though.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Number one: Ask for half a million dollars for a loving MULE clone.

Edit: I'm not going to hold my breath for another Planescape game. It's doubtful that Wizards/Hasbro would license a basically dead IP out, and by the time the would-be developers were finished filing the other identifying marks off they'd have lost a lot of support from inflexibly hardcore fans and people who might have been attracted to the name.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 26, 2012

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but Super Techno Kitten Adventure only needs to raise $94,000 of its $100,000 goal in the next eleven days! I'm sure we can pull it off!

(And wow. Basic gameplay for Knock, Knock looks... basic, but I'm still in for twenty. Hope the video is representative of the game, because that is seriously stylish.)

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Dominique Pamplemousse in: It's All Over Once the Fat Lady Sings!

Just to get things out of the way, it's an Indiegogo joint (the dev's Canadian) but they're using the Kickstarter-style fixed-funding and the goal is just under ten grand.

It's an adventure game, filmed using stop-motion puppets against hand-made props and scenery. The main character's a down-on-her-luck PI, yadda yadda, but the amusing gimmick (aside from the stop motion) is that it's a musical.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Jesus Christ. That is the first time I have ever had to scroll a page horizontally because of its (horrible) background image.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Al! posted:

Their writing is great but they don't seem to know how to make a game fun at all, plus Echo Bazaar had such a lovely "energy" system that allowed for like 5 actions that were refilled like every 20 minutes.

I played Echo Bazaar for over a year, but couldn't stand more than a week of the wanky tie-in they had with some pretentious novel I can't remember the name of. That one was even worse, because the content was tiered based on the number of people you shanghaied into playing.

I might have backed this one, but the exclusive additional content for higher tiers just left me cold.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Renoistic posted:

What's the general consensus about Jack Houston and the Necronauts? I think the idea sounds pretty interesting but don't like how he spends more time talking about backer rewards and the team's background in the visual effects industry than the actual game. They have 4 days to go and it looks like they'll just make it.

I backed it when it came out, but... yeah. I like the aesthetic and the genre, and a good adventure game is always worth looking into, but while they've done a good job of illustrating their competencies they've really done gently caress-all to sell the game.

Just the other day, they added a handful of new tiers that are mainly discounts on higher ones-- an extra fiver for the soundtrack, while the older 'with soundtrack' tier gets a HQ version, that sort of thing. Their last-minute focus is definitely on trying to get a few more bucks out of already committed people, which I can understand to some degree, but I think it's going to be too little, too late.

CommissarMega posted:

I don't know; IIRC, some priests were against the way the conquistadors treated the natives. Maybe if you RP as a goodly churchman, the game could turn out that way.

This was the plot to The Mission, though it's set long after the Spanish finished moving in.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
With ten hours left on their (fortunately) funded project, the Moon Intern folks sent out an e-mail to their $10 backers, asking them to consider becoming part of the testing community, and outlining the processes and stages that they'd be performing testing in. Oh, and yeah, you'll have to bump yourself up to at least $25 to get in on the gig.

Yeah, best of luck with that.

I don't know. I can understand adding new bennies when you're close to the wire, like Necronauts, but it feels really gauche to ask people to more than double their pledges when you're already into stretch goals.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It's a combination of the people sending them out, and the bolted-on flexibility of their pledge tiers. Grimoire wasn't originally offering Windows/Mac versions of the game, so that was added in to the Android/iOS pledge level, and you could buy in for more copies that weren't covered by higher levels. Paper Sorcerer did the same thing, I imagine because it was easier to send out a single poll than to slap one together for each of the different tiers.

I'm not sure if it was something he could have configured or not, but making contact information a mandatory field (though one easily N/A'd out) was definitely a misstep.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Kickstarter doesn't seem to remove old drives, and most project maintainers seem to stick around to post production updates, so you could probably just send them a direct message. Polls probably feed into a database and make the original process easier.

:iiaca:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
A lot of the Kickstarters I've looked into have basically just had blogs (and maybe a forum) for their websites, if anything. Since KS updates are basically blog posts, it's a duplication of effort.

That and most people wouldn't really know the innards of a professional looking website if they oozed up and bit them in the rear end. Hosting and web dev is a lot more annoying than just pointing people at the campaign page, especially given that starting a Kickstarter is free.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

"Stretch Goals (right click image and open in new tab if you are having trouble reading it)"

The best thing is, for brainstorming like a sixteen year old with the BEST IDEA EVER and setting his goal at $500, he's already walking away with even more than that.

Edit: Oh god, I missed the FAQ. 'Will this support the ooya?' 'Due to engine limitations, I cannot port my project over to android.'

In other news, I admit that I'm a little surprised, but definitely pleased, to discover that Jack Houston and the Necronauts has actually managed to drag itself past the goalposts with two and a half days left. Right now there's still 51 hours to the end of the drive, if anyone was still on the fence.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 8, 2012

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
So... you need to be a programmer who has other sources of income, but at the same time you'll have to neglect those in order to make probably, not even guaranteed, two hundred bucks a week. Oh, plus royalties on whatever they manage to sell.

Jesus Christ. I gave up my plans for being a professional games developer back when I was a kid, and this still loving offends me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Al! posted:

Oh it's the 100 Rogues guy. Figures.

I've never heard of 100 Rogues. Could you elaborate on this guy's follies?