Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

M. Night Skymall posted:

Only 8 months of development, this project is sure to succeed. Better get in at the 125 dollar level quick before they sell out, anything less and you won't get a copy of the game.

Don't diss the leep yea!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Firstly, why isn't the information on the people making the game on the front page? The team is a key part of the pitch. Then again...

MrSocko posted:

We're confident that we can produced a finished, enjoyable game within 15 months at that budget. Most of the team has experience in game design and, more importantly, every member of the team has experience within their area of expertise. Noah, our programmer, is a veteran game-design programmer, and Jay, our 3-D artist, is an experienced 3-D artist, etc. Plenty of studios have spent more money on developers with our experience or less.
Besides, one of the purposes of Kickstarter is that we have 30 days to show you who we are, what we're capable of, and what the game might look like, in so reaching potential fans and investors. Check out our video and follow along with our updates - we're sure our skill and experience will speak for itself.

This really doesn't mesh with

quote:

Lead Designer - John Sinclair Esq. loved video design enough to attend UAT for two years in the middle of law school.

Programmer - Noah Brookey graduated with a BA in game design. While he specialized in programming he made it a point to know every aspect of game development and how they interact giving him an insight into how all the gears fit together.

Writer - Rob McFadden has contributed his writing skills to projects as diverse as college textbooks, legal briefs, and an ongoing, multiplayer video game.

Lead Artist - Jay Simpson is a traditional and digital artist that studied at Wichita State University's Studio Art Program before transferring to Collin's College's Game Production Program, where he gained valuable experience of how to produce art in a production environment. At Collin's College he studied to integrate 3D Modelling, Texturing, and Animation into his exiting traditional skill set that includes Drawing, Painting, Sculpture, as well as Art history and Theory. He made this transition to focus his artistic talent towards his other passion, video games.

Sound Designer - Nick Adams has been shaped by the forges of sound. At a young age (and in no particular order), he learned how to play video games, how to walk, and how to make hitting piano keys not sound terrible. From that point on he has pursued video games and music as his life-long focus and hobby. Having composed and performed various music from Electronica to Punk Rock up to and during high school, and studying/practicing musical theory on his own time while in college, he has come to Shed Built Games as their go-to sound guy.

2D Artist and Community Liaison - Chris Carbone has worked on three start up projects designing GUIs and has written and designed comics since 2001.

It honestly sounds like you are a bunch of recent grads, a college dropout and someone who writes comic books. That hardly says "$250,000 project" to me.

I also wish you the best of luck. If the game came with the $10 tier (rather than the $30 tier - I'm not spending $30 on almost any indie game, let alone the promise of a future indie game) I might even be tempted to join, as it does sound like it could be fun.

I just can't see you reaching the goal. And really don't feel your team justifies the price point or goal.

edit: You should have made the demo before the kickstarter. Hell, you could have posted here and got all this feedback before the kickstarter! No-one is questioning your commitment. We're questioning the expertise, the marketability and the likely quality of the end product compared to the price point.

Masonity fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 7, 2014

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

MrSocko posted:

Thanks all of you for all of your help, and again we appreciate the criticism and ideas you’ve given us,

Yeah, we realized we looked unprofessional; we went into this with a plan to make the game but with a flawed understanding of how a Kickstarter works. We probably would have been more successful had we implemented the strategies you’ve suggested at launch. You guys are right; if we keep doing what we’re doing we’re not going to reach our funding goals.

We had a meeting tonight, where we went over your ideas and the future of the Kickstarter. We talked about lowering our funding goal. If we lowered our goal, we would have to cut back on features or deliver a less polished game. Cutting back on features would remove what makes our game unique, a dynamic interaction of three gameplay genres: 4x, RTS, and Space Civ. And the last thing we want to do is produce an incomplete game.

What we do have is a lot of content that has not made it onto the page. Based on your criticisms, we want to upload a video of serious gameplay footage. Our programmer Noah is taking what we have and “Game Jamming” out a video that will meet the standard of other Kickstarters that you’ve supported.

We’re also going to be filming a short interview or monologue with the lead designer John. He will outline his vision and make the case for the game.
So if we add what we’ve been discussing here to the content we’ve released already, would you be willing to support us?

“Will you help us seize Stellar Praxis?”

Edit: Since some of you guys were asking, the reason why we launched when we did is because some of us had opportunity to work on this full time right now. Unless we get funded, we won’t be able to continue working full time. We thought we were ready, but that's because we vastly underestimated the amount of material we needed at launch.

Firstly, you'd still have to relaunch. You have to impress early or no one will Ben realise you have added these things. To get funded you have to win over a lot more than just this thread.

Secondly, you still seem to be pleading "if we do x will you support us?" without demonstrating any evidence that you'll actually be able to complete on time and on budget. There's still even the issue of not having everyone full time. If the art guy has a day job and still won't get you assets without pulling teeth the game will still fail.

And ultimately, you are still a bunch of inexperienced indie devs asking for too much money, both in the sense of the goal and in the sense of the "get the game" buy in price.

My advise would be keep this as a side project, get some industry experience, get a lot more of the game complete then come to kick starter with a proper pitch when you need cash for polish or have enough experience to both launch a credible kick starter and have us believe you have the experience to complete the project.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Op

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

It looks good enough for my £8, but why the hell is a polish team collecting in Canadian dollars? That's both bizarre and will hurt their chances compared to US dollars or even £.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Jay O posted:

Hey guys, it's me again. Just wanted to say that the Lovely Little Thieves kickstarter HAS passed its funding goal, so at this point if you would like a copy of the game, you can basically get a discount preorder price ($15) by grabbing it in the next five days. After the kickstarter ends, we will have pre-orders open for the game, but the price will be 10 dollars higher, so now that we're past the funding goal line and can produce the game, now's your last chance to get it at a discount right when it comes out if you were interested! :)

Congratulations. While the fact that it's part dating simulator has turned me off buying it, the fact it's also a choose your own adventure slasher horror almost made me ignore my distaste for romance games. So yeah it's a cool idea and totally deserves to be made/funded. Also it's always nice when a goon project is a success.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Jay O posted:

Very much this. It's not "oh hey, we're trapped in a house that's actively killing us off but let's FLIRT AND DATE." No. All the choices are based around the survival and mystery aspect, and those choices just happen to end up aligning you with one character over the others, possibly romantically (or possibly not.) Even then, the romance is more "against all odds last survivors Hunger Games love conquers all" in nature than "tee hee you won this person's heart!" dating sim stuff.

Okay maybe it'll be worth a shot. I'll have a proper look at it tomorrow.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Great Rumbler posted:

2-3 times a week during the fund-raising period, and then maybe once every month or two afterward is fine.

Early on in production when a lot is changing once a week is nice, and it wouldn't be amiss when things are coming to a head either.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

I still haven't beat the character creation boss in wasteland. I can't get to grips with the system. I'm still glad I backed though as it helped pave the way for Pillars of Eternity, which I'm still not very deep in but have loved every minute of so far. I've also backed torment and hold some faith it'll be good. I'm not sure it will beat Eternity, but if it gives me a decent game to play when I finish eternity ill be happy.

What I'm really looking forward to is Obsidians next kickstarter.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Mr Underhill posted:

May Cthulhu devour your house last first!

Fixed that for you. Us lucky few will be devoured first, so as to spare us from watching what is to come.

And yeah, backed you yesterday. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/neocore/king-arthur-knights-tale/description looks interesting. They are a proven developer with a decent track record, offering a really interesting, fun sounding game. I've thrown £20 their way. It sounds like it'll be worth that at least.