Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
It looks like the bump Legends of Eisenwald got from Stoic is already starting to wear off. Shame, but at least it got them enough exposure from people who hadn't heard about it before and might donate later on. The guys working on it really need to put an update out ASAP to keep people interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

I still think she can do better with a little more of a presentation.

She's said she's going back to the drawing board and polish up her presentation a bit more before trying again, so hopefully we'll be hearing from her again.

In the meantime, she posted this article, which is a pretty interesting read for those interested in how beneficial a Kickstarter campaign actually is. The answer: not so much if you have no business sense. Supposedly, these developers will burn through the money they raised, not realizing just how expensive it is to develop the game they pitched (e: depending on the type/scope of the game of course).

Narmi fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 30, 2012

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Mr.48 posted:

Looks like Legends of Eisenwald saw another big funding spike today. Whats up with that?

They released another update that shows how (alpha) combat actually works. I guess people liked what they saw.

e: Also they've been really good at responding to comments and answering questions on their Kickstart page, which probably helps put people mroe at ease about funding the game. They're really coming off as a bunch of really nice guys who want to make something that they honnestly love.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 1, 2012

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Rebel Blob posted:

I think the odds are very good. Kicktraq has the history of the LoE Kickstarter, and it looks like the daily averages (outside the spikes) are increasing as the project gets exposure. The lead developer has linked up with someone who works with the online gaming press and has been receiving tips on his press package & contact information for relevant journalists. He is also making himself available for interviews. I'm expecting Legends of Eisenwald to pop up on more websites in the near future, which should bring their own spikes.

What's interesting is that if you compare the two spikes in pledges, there's a significant difference. The first one, after they got the shout-out from Stoic, saw 7.5k from 345 backers. Today's amount was roughly the same amount but from fewer backers - 8.2k from 114 guys. So it's fair to say that people are willing to take a bigger risk now and are more confident that they'll enjoy the game (since they're willing to pay more).

e: here's a breakdown (using the numbers from kicktraq)
code:
Day	Raised	Backers	Avg. pledge
1	$679	36	$19
2	$1,181	51	$23
3	$1,582	79	$20
4	$1,723	68	$25
5	$1,238	61	$20
6	$1,697	77	$22
7	$7,571	345	$22
8	$3,107	150	$21
9	$1,685	81	$21
10	$8,198	114	$72
so today's backers roughly 3 time the second highest average backers.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 1, 2012

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Quarex posted:

I think I found the answer to my question earlier about how far "slavish fan devotion for 1980s computer games" goes:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/subgames/rob-swigarts-portal-1986-reborn

This actually looks amazing (I mean, insofar as what they want to do), but I am fairly certain that Rod Swigart's name does not carry as much weight as Brian Fargo's.

This looks interesting. I was thinking that they set their goal a bit too high, but their answer as to why they neek $900k is actually pretty reasonable.

quote:

$900k!? Are you guys nuts? Whaddya think ya are, Wasteland 2?

Hindsight is always 20/20 but we did a lot of thinking about this for a very long time, so please know that this wasn't a decision based on greed or madness.

We strongly believe there is (and always has been) a market for adventure games despite the industry mindset that adventure games are dead and buried. To us, this is not only an opportunity to reimagine a sci-fi classic but also show publishers what can be done with what they would consider a chickenfeed budget.

You see, the average non-AAA game's budget is around ten million dollars ($10,000,000). We can work with far less than this because our game is smaller in scope, has a limited number of interactive locations, fewer models, reusable assets incorporated into the gameplay, and doesn't require a massive marketing budget.

That said, by the time you factor in the various fees taken by Kickstarter (5%) and Amazon (3.2%), federal and state taxes (the big one), reward fulfillment (a tiny fraction), and other costs involved just with raising the funds, the usable amount remaining will be considerably less than what we've set as our goal.

The funds remaining must then cover the salaries of an entire team of developers for 18 months plus equipment, software, licenses, fees, utilities, voice actors, writers, and so on.

For those reasons and others, we set the bar comparatively high versus other Kickstarter projects. To set it any lower would have been a disservice to our supporters expecting a finished game that blows them away and a catastrophe for the dev team trying to make it.

I wouldn't have thought that an adventure game could cost $10-million, but I can appreciate that they set the bar at a point where they would get the minimum needed to make the game, instead of setting it lower, taking people's money and failing to follow through.

Game looks interesting as hell though, I really do hope they make it.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 1, 2012

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
I don't think the guy making the Portal game realizes exactly how kickstarter works. He's already offering bonuses for meeting certain goals, the newest being a "$10k achievement unlocked" that doesn't sound too bad, except that he's asking for $900k.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

jeffb posted:

You're reading it wrong, he is talking about getting 10k worth of backers already and features that will be in the finished game, not features that will be added on securing additional funding.

"The $10,000 barrier has been SMASHED and, as of this writing, we now have 193 backers."

"if we meet our funding goal we will not only include the previously-mentioned extended ending but also an all-new post-game interactive location."

English isn't so hard is it?

I think you must have misunderstood me. The very same update you quoted was "10K: Achievement Unlocked!"

quote:

In appreciation for your efforts and to help drive us ever closer toward making this game a reality, we are pleased to announce that if we meet our funding goal we will not only include the previously-mentioned extended ending but also an all-new post-game interactive location.
(note that the bolding isn't mine - the update has that part specifically bolded)

It shows that he's treating getting $10K as an achievement (the title of the update is literally saying that) and he's already started to talk about extra stuff.

That's what I meant when I said he's "offering bonuses for meeting certain goals, the newest being a '$10k achievement unlocked'" - 10K was literally the goal here. e: It's also why I said he doesn't get how Kickstarter works - he's offering an "Appreciation Bonus" (his words, not mine) here when he's woefully short of his goal at 1.3% funding (that's what the "except that he's asking for $900k" part meant).

Narmi fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 3, 2012

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

jeffb posted:

Passing $10k is an achievement for them in the traditional sense, its an obvious milestone. What would you have him talk about in updates if he's not allowed to talk about content that will be in the final game?

Except we're not talking about traditional sense here. Regardless of the fact that $10k is a large chunk of money, he's talking about stretch goals for 1/90 funding.

quote:

The sentence you quoted literally says 'thanks for your efforts, if the game gets funded we're going to add some additional content that wasn't in the original'. It's pretty obvious this isn't something he's come up with as an "achievement" to backers for 10k funding.

Actually, at no point did I quote that phrase (in fact, it's not even in the original update). That was the meaning of his update, and he's free to say that, but that's what I meant when I said he doesn't get how Kickstarter works. No other project offers extra content before the minimum has been reached. It's an incentive to keep money coming in after you reach your goal. He's breaking out stretch goals now, in order to reach the minimum. That's what "raised $10k -> put in additional content" boils down to.

e: And the "efforts" you're referring to is quite clearly the act of raising $10k seeing as how a) the update title said 10k in it and b) it was only after they reached $10k funding they came out with this.

quote:

Maybe English really is hard after all... There is a difference in posting updates as funding continues and "offering bonuses for meeting certain goals" as you put it.

Of course there is a difference, that doesn't mean the two are mutually exclusive. That's what stretch goals are.

e2: So that this doesn't turn into a huge derail, Legends of Eisenwald posted their third update. They've included a "Limited Box Edition" with LoE and their previous game as well as the soundtrack. Hopefully this nets them some extra cash.

They've also explained the combat rules, which seem relatively simple too. For instance, damage = opponents attack - your defense, archers/supporting units don't move, etc. Some of it is a bit disappointing, like the fact that the direction of attack makes no difference, since it seems like if two guys attack from different sides, one should get a slight bonus, though that either might change or be a fairly rare scenario.

In any case, I'm glad to see that they're continuing to capitalize on their newfound attention.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 3, 2012

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

Your World ends in 20 minutes. It's at $21,345 of $1,100,000 with 109 backers. It's not even funny since you can't laugh at all the people who bought into Millionaire Eggman's bullshit considering he was given media coverage more than once. It's only 109 backers, only 109 poor souls who wanted to be a horse with demon legs and angel wings.

On the bright side, I wouldn't be surprise od the media coverage Your World brought to Kickstarter has probably helped a few other projects do well, just in terms of exposure they normally wouldn't have gotten.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Arnold of Soissons posted:

In much more important news:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1684781151/legends-of-eisenwald

Eisenwald is 70% funded with 16 days to go! Will they make it? I hope so!

e: did they raise their goal? I thought it was something tiny like 9k?

Nope, it's always been 50k.

e: Which is a pretty small amount compared to what other games are asking for, so relatively speaking it is tiny.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Scalding Coffee posted:

There must be applications (or apps) for this sort of thing. Allow any decent phone/handheld/computer(s) to connect or provide additional support to game sessions. Society is moving to merge the more expensive electronics in the house, so something smaller like this should be encouraged.

They actually do already have these. I remember seeing ads for some game awhile ago where people were set up around an iPad playing something using iPhones (or Pod touches). I can't remember what it was, but a quick google search shows that you can play scrabble using different iPads synched and there's something called MPad that uses iPhone as a controller & an iPad as a screen.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Gao posted:

It gets worse once you read his "clues."

It's Pong. He's asking for fifteen hundred loving dollars to make Pong.

One guy donated a dollar so he could post about how the licenses needed to make what he's proposing would const 25x the amount he's asking for.

e: Yep, he's updating (backtracking?) his goals.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 9, 2012

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Except for the fact that they already have working prototypes and have turned out a similar product already, yeah. Totally going to be vapourware.

There's also no touchscreen involved here, and they've got a previous version of the watch called inPulse.

In any case their Kickstarter is probably going to be over within a day once people realize there's only 700 watches left up for grabs (that's roughly the average daily pledge anyways).

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Harlock posted:

I think it'll probably make it. It makes me a little leery in the last day or two when the average pledge is 3-4x what it was for the previous 20+ days of the project. It seems like the inverse should happen, more people at the lower price point. $125 isn't an impulse buy/pledge.

Then again, Starlight Inception gained 1/3rd of its goal in the final day alone.

The current trend is that last few days of a project will show a dramatic increase in pledges. I would imagine that it's mostly people who were on the fence and decided to go for it before their chance to get in on the project was gone for good. For example, The Banner Saga pulled in a little under $150k in its last three days, with the amount of backers increasing each day (829, 1202 and 1457). That was out of a total of $$723k over 30 days (Wasteland and Shadowrun had a similar trend, but the last day wasn't a full 24h so it's a bit skewed).

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

snipermonkey posted:

EDIT: What's up with Kickstarter wanting people to remove the kicking it forward badge? In the legends of Eisenwald update they mentioned that it would do more harm then good, I don't get it?

They said some projects were feeling complaining that they were feeling pressured to add it as part of their campaign or risk losing backers. This is (presumably, no real way to verify) what they've been sending out to people who put the badge on their page:

Kickstarter posted:

Hi, this is Cindy from Kickstarter. How's it going?

I'm writing today because I noticed that your project has joined the Kicking It Forward campaign. Cool!

While it's great that you're committing to support the Kickstarter community, the Kicking It Forward badge has led to some confusion with backers and other creators. We've been hearing from backers who are unsure what it means, and creators who feel pressured to include it without knowing much about it. People can't tell whether it's an official Kickstarter thing or not.

We don't want to stand in the way of a grassroots effort, but we're concerned this is causing more harm than good. So we're asking everyone who's participating to remove the badges from their projects. If you want to still participate in the campaign you are absolutely free to, however we're asking that this be done outside of Kickstarter itself. We appreciate it.

Thanks so much for being a member of our community, and for launching your project with us. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

Cindy

Narmi fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 12, 2012

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
I'm guessing Grim Dawn was pumping out press releases since its conception seeing as coverage goes back to 2010. Comparing the coverage of their respective Kickstarters, Grim Dawn get a short bit at their launch and when they got funded (and even them the tone or the article was "hey, this is cool, I'm in") and Republique gets more press and is overtly calling on people to hand over their money. It's also only one guy writing the articles, so I guess he just really likes the game or something.

Anyways, Xenonauts has released an update with the results of their poll for stretch goals. It's pretty neat how they managed this, letting backers decide what they wanted and being upfront with the costs. Hopefully it doesn't backfire because people feel slighted that their choice isn't number one on the list.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 13, 2012

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Jane Jensen did an AMA if anybody's interested. You can view all the questions she answered here.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 14, 2012

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
For people backing Shadowrun, the second city survey has resulted in a run-off between Berlin and HK. They've put out a second survey, so check your inboxes if you want to vote. E: They can apparently only send out 10k mails at a time, so it might take a while for everyone to get theirs.

quote:

Berlin
Berlin has seen many wars in its history and the Awakened World did not spare it. The EuroWars left it crushed yet again, but like a phoenix it continues to rise from the ashes. While the more modern western half turned to the corps, the more volatile eastern residents voted with their Molotov cocktails that anarchy was the way to go. The result is that Berlin is a dynamic dichotomy; home to many of Europe’s top corps, including the great dragon Lofwyr’s Seader-Krupp and Daimler-Benz, and home to Europe’s biggest collection of fixers, data thieves and gangs. Every runner considers it a badge of honor to run the streets of Berlin.

Hong Kong
Hong Kong finds itself now as an independent city/state in 2050. Both ancient and modern Hong Kong seems to be at peace on the same island. It’s corporate sponsored City Center rivals any in the world for splendor and corporate intrigue. All the megcorps are there as well as all smaller ones that love to think they can play with the big boys (and maybe even steal a secret or two). Yet, just outside the city center you will find ancient temples and shrines. Each one situated on the many dragon lines that cross the island. Dragon lines are mysterious and powerful paths of magic that the monks claim hold the secrets of the great dragons themselves. Protecting the monks and running the underworld are the mysterious syndicate called the Triads – gangs that control their island, protect their secret masters and really really hate the Yakuza.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 17, 2012

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Urdnot Fire posted:

I'm starting to regret not donating for this, that idea for Berlin sounds pretty awesome indeed. Though as it is I'm already donating to way too many cool projects, I might have to give up Pebble :ohdear:

I wouldn't worry about it. The game won't come out until the summer of 2013 so you can alwasy pick it up then.

Plus you can still donate to Eisenwald! It's really very pretty (e: I'm really hoping that's part of thein-game soundtrack because it fits the theme really well).

Narmi fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 16, 2012

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Yaaay! Go Berlin!

I haven't gotten the email yet, I imagine they're sending them in waves? I hope, I want to vote for Berlin again.

Yeah, they can only send so many at once:

Harebrained Schemes LLC posted:

Our survey tool can only send out 10k mails at a time. It may be a day or two before you receive your survey. That's why we put the deadline at Sunday night.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Jane Jensen's doing well to. They just passed $400k with 12 hours to go.

e: Their first stretch goals was at $400k mark, they need another $50k to meet their net one. Raising $4k an hour might too much for them, but I've been wrong before.

Also they're having a countdown party of sorts tomorrow morning (it's on their forum I think, unless they plan on doing a live stream it looks like they're just going to talk with people).

Narmi fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 19, 2012

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
My understanding was that Republique and Takedown succeeded mainly because the backers started begging/pushing other people to donate. Otherwise I agree with you earlier points on what will/won't be a successful. Backing a project almost always requires a leap of faith that you'll get a finished product, and the quality of that product being up to your expectations is an even greater one. Having a big name or almost finished project seems key here.

I don't think we'll see developers being pushed onto Kickstarter by their publishers though. The backlash would (in my mind) be huge since the main reason developers are asking for people to give up their money is because they don't have a publisher, or don't want to deal with one. My personal opinion on a developer with a publisher behind them is that they shouldn't go on Kickstarter, and I would hesitate to back such a project because I wouldn't trust a publisher that does that. It also brings up the question as to why I would pay for someone else to call the shots on the developer since I like the fact that they can be creative instead of restricted.

As for using it as a marketing gimmick, that's definitely possible if you want to generate some hype. I don't think KickStarter would allow such a thing because it seems like it runs contrary to their terms of use. Also people would probably be angry to learn that they'd been tricked into giving money to a project that didn't need it, so it might get them PR, just not good PR.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 20, 2012

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
I'm beginning to think that maybe Eisenwald should limit people to a single vote instead of giving them three:

Pack of story characters and unique bosses 27.16% (769 votes)
Castle assault and defense 26.21% (742 votes)
Castles upgrade 26.92% (762 votes)

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

At first, I was sure Time "Viking" Vincent was Bunky in a wig. Then Dennis "Father of Dark Elves" Healy and Gizmo "Team Jedi" Geek popped up. The high amount makes me believe this isn't a scam, so is it just three guys who decided "hey, let's make an MMO, we've played a bunch so it shouldn't be that hard" or something?

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
My understanding is that it's not really Wasteland 2 itself, it's just that "Kicking it Forward" is a concept Brian Fargo came up with during the Wasteland 2 kickstarter that entailed pumpimg 5% of the profit from Wasteland 2 back into kickstarter to help other projects get off the ground. The concept itself isn't a bad idea, and had he limited it to his own project instead of making it semi-official it would probably have worked out nicely. The problem is that people are now looking for the KiF badge on projects (as seen in that RPS article recently), even though it's strictly voluntary, there's no way to enforce it and there are legitimate reason to opt not to be part of it.

Also as Quarex mentioned Fargo just kind of tosses things out there without really thinking about how they'll be received. At one point quite there was a bit of backlash when he started talking about implementing social features into Wasteland 2 and he had to backtrack a bit and clarify what he meant because people started getting nervous/confused about where the game was heading.

e: This was Fargo's response to the whole social features fiasco:

Brian Fargo posted:

I clearly made a mistake in throwing out an idea before I communicated a cohesive vision document on the overall game. At two million in funding we will be doing the top things everyone wants anyway: a larger world and more content, more character dialog, more graphics across the board, and more audio. I should not have thrown out any fringe ideas this early on… but live and learn.

e2: That he's still promoting Kicking it Forward (on Twitter at least) while Kickaster itself is asking people not to advertise it on their project pages isn't helping either. It's fair to say that it's grown out of control and doesn't represent what he envisaged at this point.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 21, 2012

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Legends of Eisenwald's last update was really nice. A thanks to all their backers, Stoic, even some guys who were active in the comments, and a shout out to other projects. Hopefully Paypal and Yandex money will give them a good chunk of change to meet some more goals.

e:

Lord Yod posted:

Also in the Legends of Eisenwald email was Cross of the Dutchman, did this get talked about? 3rd person action-RPG based on a Dutch folk hero from the 16th century. The art reminds me a bit of the Banner Saga in a lot of ways.

It was mentioned before, probably around the time it first popped up, but hasn't been seen since. They say they're going to put out a gameplay trailer, hopefully that and the extra attention they're getting now push them past the finish line in time.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 22, 2012

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Daryl Surat posted:

They say they plan to re-launch it with all the revisions in place under the name "SKYJACKER: Lights in Abyss" but who knows if it'll get accepted? I guess it didn't technically "fail."

If a Kickstarter fails, are they not allowed to re-launch? Or is there a cooling down period or something so they can come up with a revemped project? It makes sense if they want to keep people from just rehashing the same thing with a longer timeframe.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

macnbc posted:

They still have an absolutely ridiculous rewards tier structure (with physical goods starting at the $5 level). And now they're talking about outsourcing production to some Chinese company that looks like they're geared more for QA work than actual development.

Gonna take a pass on this one.

It's not just that they're offering physical rewards at a very low price, there's also the fact that Portal's reward tiers are very confusing. Not only is there is way too much emphasis on the physical rewards, of which almost no one cares about (except for the $150 tier for some reason), but half the time I wasn't sure what was being included. I ended up making a chart to figure out what each reward included just to help clear things up.

e: Though to be honest, a reward tier chart is something almost every Kickstarter should do since it's not just Portal with lots of different reward tiers that offer a lot of things. Theirs stand out since they try to cram a bunch of things in, way more than they should have.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 25, 2012

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Occupation posted:

Could we see it? And it's still nothing compared to the OOTS KS, which had the dumbest reward tier system of all time.

Trying to figure out what amount of money got you what was some Da Vinci Code bullshit. I half expected a map to the Declaration of Independence to pop up once i backed it.

Sure:

e: Just realized I had put down "Signed, Original Production Art" twice for some reason.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 25, 2012

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

DoctorTristan posted:

That was because he devised the reward tiers assuming he'd get maybe a couple of thousand backers raising at most 50k, then as the whole thing snowballed he kept having to think of more so as to keep the momentum going. The difference between him and these clowns is that he got caught flat-footed by his project's runaway success; Swigart & co. actually planned out their abomination and thought it was a good idea.

One of the things I found extremely odd was that at certain points they just started multiplying the rewards from the previous tier. I've only seen that done for stores that want physical copies of the game to sell, and I can't imagine they'd want to spend hundreds, if not thousands, to get a bunch of A/B items when they're not even getting a box to put on their shelves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Skyjacker has re-launched their Kickstarter. It looks more streamlined/easier to understand, and they included some of the soundtrack, which is pretty neat. Hopefully this one works better for them.