Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

The Takedown supporters are desperate. With 5 hours left to raise another $25,000, they are spamming the comment sections of other projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Christian Allen did drop by the Wasteland 2 comment section to apologize for the spammers, which was nice.

Notch tweeted about Takedown an hour ago, and contributed to that final push.

I'm with you on the mild disappointment. Even revamped, Takedown had a weak pitch with little to show. I'll be happy if a decent game comes of it, but even with the successful Kickstarter I'm skeptical.

Rebel Blob fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 1, 2012

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

I guess Al Lowe and Replay failed to find a backer in the last six months. They announced this game last October, including all the art assets they have up on the Kickstarter page, aside from the video.

Man, I like Al Lowe, but he hasn't been relevant in a long time. Then it's a remake with not-so-great art direction and asking for half a million. I guess we'll see how far nostalgia will take you.

I do like how subtle he was about the issue of piracy, enough to remind people that they probably pirated the game back in the day, without pushing guilt.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

the black husserl posted:

Why are people making GBS threads on LSL? It's a good game and way better than Kings Quest. I dont even think yall played it.
I like LSL and Al Lowe, but I have don't see the appeal of another remake of the same game. It's all speculation, but I wonder how well Brian Fargo would have done if he pitched a remake of the original Wasteland instead of Wasteland 2.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Quarex posted:

I was going to do a Kickstarter for HELLO, MY NAME IS QUAREX, PLEASE GIVE ME MONEY SO I CAN SPEND IT ON THINGS I LIKE, THANKS and it was totally going to work due to Internet Irony. Then I found out there was an approval process :smith:
For that kind of thing you'll have to settle for Indiegogo. Like this wonderful project, give me $2,000 for a new computer.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

It sounds like Dead State will be starting their Kickstarter sometime next month. They hold regular Q&A sessions in their forums, in which the lead developer says they are getting the game in shape to create a trailer from it and getting ready for a big press push alongside the Kickstarter.

If you haven't heard of Dead State it is a zombie survival RPG being developed by Brian Mitsoda (who has worked for Black Isle, Troika, & Obsidian) and his wife Annie Mitsoda (who worked for Obsidian). He is probably best known for being lead writer and character designer for VtM: Bloodlines. There is a large FAQ which gives a good idea of what they are going for. Basically after a zombie apocalypse the PC is a leader of a "shelter" which they manage, from which they have to explore, scavenge, recruit and manage allies, and deal with other survivor groups. Mitsoda has said that he intends it to be a serious examination of people in the midst of a world-changing disaster.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

To add to the ranks of quality kickstarters, how about Left to Rot New RPG & FPS GENRE!!!! Hey, that's what the title is. :colbert:

Make sure to watch the video to see the game in action. If you read the description you will notice that it doesn't show any of the features talked about. Reassuringly the first thing mentioned when talking about what they need funding for is attending E3. As to plot, I couldn't put it better than the man does himself.

Executive Summary posted:

The story itself goes deeper than resident evils Plot. To give you an idea of the plot "A massive earthquake sweeps over the world. 80 percent of the world’s population is dead. Governments quickly lose all power. A virus has infected the world, zombie have risen from the dead. But there is a reason why the virus is actually there, and you have to uncover the truth, find a cure (after all you are a scientist) and fight your way through what remains of the governments so that the human race will survive!

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

r1ngwthszzors posted:

Wasn't Brian Mitsoda fired from Obsidian because of screwing up Alpha Protocol?
I haven't heard anything along those lines before. I've seen speculation that there was a creative conflict between Mitsoda and Avellone during Alpha Protocol's development or that Mitsoda didn't agree with the direction Obsidian was taking Alpha Protocol, but with no actual information to support either case. I've even heard that he was tired of Obsidian's employment practices, where they shed people constantly. The known facts are scanty, with most of the specifics being kept private by everyone involved, Mitsoda left Obsidian after being creative lead early in Alpha Protocol's development and the game was changed to the point where Mitsoda said he had basically nothing the final version outside of the dialogue system.

There is also this blog post by Avellone on the narrative process of Alpha Protocol which has Mitsoda gone from the picture early in development.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

You could always pledge to Tortured Hearts safe in the knowledge that it will fail and you won't need to send them any money. You get to feel good if Kickstarting floats your boat and not actually risk any money.

Then you get to feel like a jerk when the lady behind it sends you a really sweet email thanking you. :smith:

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

The developers of Legends of Eisenwald have won me over. They've been releasing a fair number of screenshots, as well as some concept art and an music track. They also have done an interview. They elaborate more on this in the interview, but here is some of the basic info. They cite King's Bounty and Disciples as their inspirations, and that the battle system is a "rethought and improved version" of the Disciples I&II combat system. To demonstrate it in action, they plan to release a video of the combat system in the next few days. They also mention that the setting is similar to Darklands, as they describe it: the Middle Ages as the people of the time believed in.

Rebel Blob fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 26, 2012

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

So Mythic: The Story of Gods and Men, I guess it isn't really plagiarism, but they copied The Banner Saga's tiers and rewards almost word for word.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

So in today's update on The Banner Saga, Stoic had a section on Kickstarter game projects that they like and have supported. Good news for Legends of Eisenwald, that endorsement has pumped $3,000 their way in about an hour. Which is significant in context, since that is 6% of what the Eisenwald developers have as a goal.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

The Legends of Eisenwald developers have posted their second update, which includes the combat video they were talking about a few days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CSDr4RTPZU

Eisenwald Develoopers posted:

Please note, our game is still in alpha, and quite a few things are missing – there are no hints which makes unclear how many hits will be taken from a unit. Also, there are no visual effects for spells and low-mode shaders are used.

We wanted to demonstrate with this video that:
  • There is no movement without attacking;
  • The battle is dynamic and doesn’t last too long – the second battle was just 4 rounds long;
  • Battle outcome depends on initial positioning and tactics.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Douche Bag posted:

So they're at 28,541 and their goal is 50k with 21 days to go. What are the odds this one will succeed?
I think the odds are very good. Kicktraq has the history of the LoE Kickstarter, and it looks like the daily averages (outside the spikes) are increasing as the project gets exposure. The lead developer has linked up with someone who works with the online gaming press and has been receiving tips on his press package & contact information for relevant journalists. He is also making himself available for interviews. I'm expecting Legends of Eisenwald to pop up on more websites in the near future, which should bring their own spikes.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Nekro got itself funded while no-one was looking.

The developers have 3 days to raise another $10,500 for their Nekro customization stretch goal, and $40,500 for a P2P co-op mode.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

I guess you could see it that way. I lean more towards flailing around for something that will raise them more than $300,000 in a week's time. It isn't charitable, but their Kickstarter has been a mess from the beginning. As I see it announcing the PC/Mac version was a desperation move after their Kickstarter had stalled for over a week. Maybe I'm overly harsh, but I don't see much reason to support Republique. Especially since it is another project based around giving them money up-front to prove there is an interest for their game when they approach big investors, I strongly dislike this type of Kickstarter. They have committed themselves to what they call a AAA game with mo-cap and top-tier voice actors, and is going to be backed mostly by investors. Personally I see it as a waste of my money, let the investors they plan to work with anyway pay their costs, or maybe they could have tried something less ambitious for their first time out.

Rebel Blob fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 3, 2012

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Man, it hasn't been all that long and new Kickstarter projects seem to be getting zero coverage. I just stumbled upon Skyjacker browsing Kickstarter, which seems like something that might have gotten more attention not too long ago. At least they have a nice looking gameplay video. Too bad the pitch is bizarre and poorly written, even accounting for the fact that English is probably not the first language of the writer.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

I guess that answers if people have burned out on Kickstarter yet, Carmeggedon has raised $50,000 in the first 4 hours. Things really slowed down in the past few weeks, but it looks like a big name will still do it.

In other news, the Two Guys from Andromeda have just launched their SpaceVenture Kickstarter. They are pretty vague about the game they will create, but their pitch says they will release a demo for every $100,000 raised.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Kickstarting games seems to be all or nothing. Any big game project that makes a significant part of its goal seems to be inevitably funded before the end, we haven't had a big failure yet. The failed projects are the ones that never go anywhere in the first place. Takedown, Nekro, and Republique have all managed to pull it off after looking like they were going to fall short.

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Eisenwald is sitting pretty at 90% with 10 days to go. I'm hoping they'll do a new video to promote the final week.
They did release this work-in-progress version of their poster and another song from the soundtrack today.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Alexander Dergay has been really nice through the whole thing, he responds to just about everyone in the comments for Eisenwald. Though he seems to be mildly frustrated at the lack of coverage, I know some people went out of their way to give him help putting together a good press packet and he has made himself available for interviews.

Doesn't help to have Rock, Paper, Shotgun shamelessly shilling for Republique when it won't even cover smaller projects like Moebius, Nekro, and Grim Dawn until they get funded. We'll see if Legends of Eisenwald rates a mention now that it is successful, since it obviously didn't make a RPS writer hard like Republique did.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

nessin posted:

RPS made it clear their policy on Kickstarter is to write about the ones they feel like writing about.
Too bad RPS doesn't keep to a consistent policy, they sort of kept to one for a while before abandoning it to outright beg their readers to support one writer's favorite Kickstarter project. If they actually kept to a policy that would be great, but instead when it looked like Republique might fail Nathan Grayson took up work as an unpaid salesman.

Rebel Blob fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 13, 2012

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

If you were hoping to see the Legend of Eisenwald developers back in their costumes, you are in luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqVtErsOwCo

They've decided to leave the order of the stretch goals up to their supporters, there is a survey for backers where you can pick the three goals you think most important. There is another post that more fully explains each goal and how the voting system works.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Quarex posted:

full disclosure: I am Brian Fargo
It sure is nice of you to continue to keep an interest in other Kickstarters.

You better watch it, someone might get cute and give you a Faran Brygo avatar.

Rebel Blob fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 14, 2012

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Legends of Eisenwald have a new update with some numbers that are interesting if you are still getting a sense of how much money projects really get at the end of the day. The total pledged was $83,577, but between failed payments and fees the actual funding the developers received was $75,047.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

The Dead State Kickstarter just went up.

Edit: Goddamnit. Anyway, I'm working on an OP for a Dead State thread.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Forgot to mention it, the Dead State devs also released this trailer alongside the Kickstarter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMl-_9J1gtg

If you are wondering about Yellow Rose of Texas, the game is set in a fictional town in central Texas.

Rebel Blob fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 5, 2012

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Okay, started a Dead State thread. Feel free to tell me how it could be improved.

Rebel Blob fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 6, 2012

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

I thought I should present one small bit of Brian Mitsoda's writing credentials.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

BobTheJanitor posted:

If anyone's curious about how Yogventures is doing since their Kickstarter finished, they're showing the game at E3 and they put up a video about it.
I'm pretty curious as to how much that E3 setup cost them. I don't really have much of an idea, but I could see it being a significant amount.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Dragonrah posted:

I'd love to give a lot more, but the whole thing is just sort of disappointing and underwhelming.
From what Annie has said on their forums Brian Mitsoda is handling the kickstarter pretty much on his own, and it looks like he isn't much of a salesman. Which is okay on a basic level because the core pitch is strong enough interest people and Dead State isn't doing badly so far. But there also hasn't been much to raise the energy level of the kickstarter. Which is disappointing, since I want to see it do better.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

To elaborate on what is going on with Dead State, today's update adds two new tiers with physical rewards. A bullet USB keychain at $85 and a collector's edition box set at $250 that comes with a ton of stuff (DVD game copy/music CD/shirt/USB keychain/signed "Making Of" book/paper manual/prints of in-game material/signed thank-you letter/2 extra digital copies).

I think Brian is a little too focused on the details, if the first stretch goal something along the lines of "Help us hire our artist full-time and he'll be able to create more assets for the game!" it might be a better pitch.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Magical Zero posted:

They should make hiring the guy who made the character portraits for Age of Decadence a stretch goal. You can see some of them as avatars on the Irontower forum, they're seriously fantastic.
I think you can see them all here. That is a pretty good idea, they are indeed pretty great.

The new physical tiers seem to have jogged Dead State into a higher gear today. They've pulled in twice the money today as yesterday, and the average donation has jumped up $40 to about $62 per pledge.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

If anyone is interested there is a pretty good interview with the Dead State developers on RPGCodex. It has Brian, Annie, and Oscar from the development team, project lead, designer/writer, and lead artist respectively.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

ekuNNN posted:

They're not at their goal yet! :supaburn: why won't you take my filthy European paypal-using money, Kickstarter? :argh:
Someone put together this pretty comprehensive guide to international/alternative payment options for Kickstarter if you are willing to put in some extra effort into throwing your money at stuff.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Dead State is doing well, they are on track to reach their funding goal in two or three days. They just had another interview, this time with PC Gamer. Something interesting from there, post-release Brian plans to add modifiers for when you start a new game. Two options he talks about in the interview is a modifier to remove antibiotics (which manage zombie infection) or another that would give you full control over your group in combat.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

I feel rude intruding into the fartjar chat, but Stoic has received their physical prizes for The Banner Sage and going to be shipping them out soon. They have a new update up on Kickstarter and a video that shows off the chaos of managing thousands of prizes on your own. They also have this breakdown of how that $732,000 they raised is being used.

Stoic posted:

• Of $730k, 10% immediately comes out for amazon, kickstarter and failed payments. We actually had a shockingly low number of these failed payments, but this alone leaves us with roughly $650k.
  • Actual prizes cost us about $22k to produce. $22,000 certainly is a lot for posters, tshirts and some fancy art, but this was not a surprise to us since we had gotten estimates and set prices based on that.
  • Shipping costs are a bit troublesome, especially since we have a fair number of international backers. We estimated that shipping would cost roughly an amount equal to the prizes themselves. When comparing our prices to other kickstarter campaigns we felt that we couldn't ask for more than the standard international shipping rate- between $10 and $20. This helps but does not cover the cost. Now any time I see a campaign asking for an extra $10 for international shipping I just assume they have no idea what they're talking about. That said, it's not like this will cut into our budget by a significant amount with the kind of volume we're pushing. Between prizes and shipping that's another 18% of our total funds.
  • Once we've dealt with all that business we've got about $600k to work with. I want to re-emphasize that this came as a surprise to none of us!
  • As for development, contractor salaries take the lions share. We've now contracted (not hired) two programmers, a sound design team, a dedicated composer, a QA specialist, a writer, an interface artist, a community manager and an entire animation production house working for us to produce more content than we ever dreamed at higher quality. That, my friends, is currently where a good 50% of our total funding goes.
  • We've got the mundane business expenses like a (rather miniscule) office lease, software like adobe products, dropbox and fmod, computer upgrades, and hardware coming out to about 5% of our budget.
  • We're anticipating the relatively small operation costs of maintaining our own server-side data on amazon's cloud so people can download the game from us and play online without Steam.
  • Lastly, we've put aside the remaining funding as our safety net which will be re-evaluated as we go. You never know when things are going to go unexpectedly wrong.
  • We're still not taking personal salaries. We'll be living off our savings until our game starts making income.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Dead State reached their goal today. They also posted their full list of stretch goals:

quote:

$180k – Weapon Pack
-10 Weapons + the top 3 most popular weapons picked in our forum poll.
This pack helps us bring on another one of our model artists full-time.

$210k – New areas (including the following)
-Military Base
-Regional Airport
-County Fair
-Mall
This goal allows us to hire on a level artist full-time, which means more variety in areas, more props, additional map types, and more unique places to loot.

$240k – More varied attack animations, including more variety in specific weapon set special attacks and kills.
- Two New Allies! Two more warm bodies for your shelter.
- Two new upgrades for the shelter – the shooting range (makes allies better shots) and the gym (makes allies better at melee).

$260k - More cosmetic options for character creation.
- More zombie appearance variety (including an MMM, Bison! mascot)
– Post-release modifiers for fan requests like amount of food needed, effect of antibiotics, and ability to control allies.
This goal allows us to hire a character artist on full-time.

$300k – New area: The City
-Dangerous areas where only the dead and deadly rule.
-High risk, high reward areas.
-Challenging maps for even expert players.
-New areas, models, map layouts.
-1 New Ally!
This goal allows us to hire on another experienced designer.

$330k – Animals – dogs, cats, chickens, horses, crows added to the game.
-Dogs allies can be a part of your scavenging party.
-Cats raise morale at the shelter.
This goal allows us to hire on additional art and scripting assistance to handle animal models, animations, and AI.

$360k – A mini-expansion that fills in back story for a major character, adds military-grade weapons, and adds zones of control – free for Kickstarter patrons.
This expansion will add significant gameplay options and new challenges and variety in the gameplay. The expansion will be the first content created to expand the core game.
This goal will allow us to hire on additional support members as needed (production, bug-testing, sound) and keep the core team working right after release and into expanded content.

Rebel Blob fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 22, 2012

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

PayingForTheView posted:

Is there going to be a thread now that this has been funded?
I've asked if it is okay to reopen the old thread, what the line was on active kickstarters that have been fully funded was a little muddled. At least it seemed that way to me. So we'll see if the Dead State thread comes back shortly.

Brian Mitsoda just did an audio interview with Just Press Start, it starts out pretty awkwardly but it smooths out pretty quickly.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Dead State just hit their first stretch goal at $180,000, that was pretty quick and there are still 9 days left. While it is the unexciting weapons pack, Brian did clarify that hitting this goal allows DoubleBear to hire a model artist full-time. I don't know if anyone cares, but it looks like the 3 extra weapons chosen from a poll are going to be a crash axe, nail-gun, and a taser or cattle prod (they are only 1 vote apart right now).

My guess is that the Dead State kickstarter will hit the $260,000 stretch goal by the end. Though if the developers figure out a more attractive tier in the $25-$50 range and entice people to upgrade they could knock it out of the park. At least the $210,000 stretch goal is pretty much certain given the history of the kickstarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

If you have a Reddit account and have questions about Dead State there will be an Ask Me Anything soon at 5-8 PST tonight. Brian Mitsoda and Oscar Velzi, lead artist on Dead State, will be answering what comes up.

Edit: It's live.

Rebel Blob fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 29, 2012