Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Azraelle posted:

So, is someone nostalgic for the old-style SNES era RPGs that totally doesn't exist in the thousands? Is someone anxious to play a game featuring graphics directly stolen from Final Fantasy 6, horrible framerate issues, weekly "gamisode" format and music by "a professional music producer".

Well, good news! All you need to do is help these guys reach 200,000 dollars, to fund Tempus Chronicle!

Who can say "no" to these candid motherfuckers?

So diverse!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

yegods posted:

wow, harsh, guys. While I may not be rushing to donate because I don't particularly like the RPG Maker style games, the Tempus Chronicle video was actually pretty well done.

Strongly disagree... it looks like something that could have been done in an Intro to Digital Video Production course, not something that will entice people to donate 200k+ to a project.

Also, the project itself looks terrible.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Brown Moses posted:

In case you missed it Ellwood Barlett has posted a series of videos where he discusses the gameplay mechanics of Your World.

LITTLE ROBOTIC CRAB.

Let us please make this game a reality.

[edit] Someone with artistic talent needs to draw a mock-up of the freakshow he describes in this video... I need this thing to be realized visually!

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 17, 2012

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Redux: Dark Matters is a new shooter for Dreamcast if you're into that sort of thing:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/redux/redux-dark-matters-a-shmup-for-sega-dreamcast

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Mordiceius posted:

You guys, the Your World guy is going to have another livestream at 4pm eastern time today! Hope you all are ready to watch the blob speak.

Where can I watch this historic proclamation?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Well, if the sexually progressive nation of Japan is cool with it...

So is Mike "Dickwolf" Krahulik!

http://twitter.com/#!/cwgabriel/status/202799326186053632

Got them the Penny Arcade bump.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

I got in as the last backer at the $95 level... I figure if nothing else, I can watch how people who know more about this poo poo than I react to it over the course of the next month and either keep my backer status or cancel at the last minute.

If nothing else, I think it'll be a nice emulation machine.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Al! posted:

Well, fair enough you can't even get a smart phone for $99 without a 2-year but that makes me suspicious on the other side as to how an independent business can afford to make something that cheap with a million-dollar Kickstarter budget unless they're planning to use the money to manufacture prototypes and hopefully attract investment capital.

As I stated previously, I backed the thing... but that stated, I do not have any illusions that it might turn out (or rather, not turn out) like this gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QD9Lo78yH8

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Occupation posted:

So the Penny Arcade guys launched a kickstarter and I really can't believe it's anything other than some kind of crazy joke or something, because it's...really really terrible. Like just...check it out.

B-b-b-but Penny Arcade contributes and collaborates on advertising project all the time, but it's some kind of giant problem on their precious site... I'm so confused.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Beanpants posted:

$7500 dollars to be an intern for a day.

Pay them $7500 dollars to work for them. Pay to work.

Did you watch the video? This was pretty much the gist of it... ironic in the video, not ironic in reality.

Pay them to be their friends.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

purple prime posted:

I was thinking about donating to Ouya for that console. It'll be closed out before I even get off work.

They will definitely be out of consoles at the reasonable level... at the time of this posting, they had 212 193 left.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

They just bumped the number of $99 consoles from 5000 to 10000.

Can someone edit this to include Ouya-relevant people/product?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Renoistic posted:

Just found the Project Giana Kickstarter. It's a new Giana Sisters game made by a team that used to work for the guy who stole/made the original, and featuring artwork and design made by the guy who worked on the decent Nintendo DS Giana Sisters game. It's PC only. The gimmick is that the sisters have different abilities, and you can change between the sisters at will, and when you do, the background and music do as well. The constant switching of music seems like it might get annoying fast, but I'm a sucker for old-school platformers and the background transformations look awesome.

Neat, a new Klonoa game :)

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Al! posted:

Well looks like the Oculus has already passed its (pretty modest) goal already. I really hope this thing catches on. Unlike the Ouya it seems like this kickstarter could actually pay off.

I like this idea and product (as if my avatar wasn't a dead giveaway) but I had to laugh at the build it yourself tier... seems to be popular, but what a strange option.

Really hope this turns out to be awesome because virtual reality deserves better than the attempts it's gotten in the past.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Hey, don't forget about Night Trap!!!

Why is no one doing Kickstarters for FMV games?

Where's my Quantum Gate Complete HD crowd-funded remake?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

TychoCelchuuu posted:

This cyberpunk thing just squeaked by its 50k goal with < 2 hours left.

Hmm...

quote:

PLEDGE $20 OR MORE
You asked and we answered! Get a digital copy of the game for free when it comes out. Keep in mind, with platform and publishing deals still up in the air this is not a 100% guarantee, but we’ll make sure you never get short-changed. + Includes all previous unlimited reward tiers.

:thumbsup:

At least they ain't bullshittin' you.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Obsurveyor posted:

Jumping 20k in a few hours seems real shady, the way the donations were trending.

If I had X amount of money in the bank and that was the amount needed to push me over the limit into funded territory and secure the already promised donations, you can best believe that I would be doing that...

That is, if I were a shady as gently caress person.

[edit] Is it pretty much established that Kickstarter is mostly full of scams and/or pipe dreams at this point, or is there not enough data to confirm this yet?

I see that the backers list doesn't show how much a person paid, so it's possible that a person paid $20,000 and selected the $20 tier to make it look legit... but math don't lie, and the $113 average backer donation seems really loving unbelievable. For those playing along at home, DFA had a $38 per backer average.

vvv Still not enough to yank all the ads vvv

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 14, 2012

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Synival posted:

Dev for this project here

Has Minecraft given all indie devs the green light to make games that look horrible? This is a serious question and I'm not trying to poo poo on your project, it just seems like it's getting to be a thing now.

quote:

The Kickstarter is mostly to hire someone for artwork

Hopefully this means that you think it needs to stop as well.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

It's a very nice looking KS and I'm interested in it, but I'd like it to borrow (heck, even steal) significantly from PSO/MH like they said they'd like it to in their video.

Basically I want it to be an online Metal Slug with loot.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

LumberingTroll posted:

Alright conspiracy theorists, explain this.

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/seanpollman/kinetic-void/

We got something like 45% of our funding in the last day, does that mean that I bankrolled it to get $34k?

No, it proves the existence of the elusive Goon Rush.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

It's also how MAD Magazine has been able to operate all these years... actors, athletes, politicians, and other "public" figures are all free game when it comes to likeness rights and parody.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

mutata posted:

Likeness rights, no, but parody, yes. Many actors/actresses retain their likeness rights which apply to things like merchandise and toys and such, basically stuff made specifically to make money off of their likeness (like Captain Jack action figures) but characitures in MAD are parody.

I meant likeness rights when used for parody purposes... i.e. MAD can feature a cover with GWB getting a golden shower from Alfred E. Newman or something like that.

Perhaps I should not have used the word rights, just likeness.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

TychoCelchuuu posted:

8 minutes left and $1.5k left before PA hits the "no ads on home page" stretch goal. I imagine they're praying that they don't hit that stretch goal, because what would be ideal for them is to have as many ads as possible plus as much money from the Kickstarter as possible.

No ads accomplished... now to see what actually happens.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Occupation posted:

Eh, good point. Never mind then.

Coulda held off on a KS until it got closer to the end of the year, though.

Probably not, because then you'd be eating into lead time for next year's contracts to be drafted up. This is probably as close as they could cut it and know which way they could go financially.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

shodanjr_gr posted:

These guys literally just launched their KS and they already have a more functional UI than the one found on the OUYA devkits.

This presumably has something to do with the fact that pure vaporware Kickstarters are no longer allowed and developers have to actually show that they have a thing that may in fact exist and do what they claim it will do.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

I funded Another Castle on the first day it went live, but now I'm having my doubts about it... does anyone here know exactly what a Wii U dev kit costs? Surely a big chunk (if not more) of that twelve grand will be eaten up by securing one of those.

Also, he seems desperate as hell, adding new (ridiculous) tiers and upping the amount of $20 "Early Bird" pledges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

I'm pulling my funding for Another Castle after their latest update...

quote:

By popular request, I’ve just added a new “Character Creator” stretch goal at $40,000

As of now, they're barely over 11k with 10 days to do, so it's likely that they'll hit the modest 12k goal they've set for the Kickstarter to succeed, but every update just seems more and more silly... he seems more interested in coming up with bizarre (and wholly unattainable) new stretch goals and reward tiers than showing progress.

I think the project will get funded, but just, however I've been losing confidence in this guy and will re-evaluate the project when/if it's ever a retail product.