Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

The developer who created Super Mario Bros. Crossover is developing a "new" game: Super Retro Squad. Now, I think it looks like a pretty big mess (IP problems aside, besides that there no physical rewards it could probably rightfully be in the "Awful Kickstarters" GBS thread), and who knows if he can create original level design, but I thought SMBC was pretty impressive.

Edit: Wow, totally forgot the link...

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Welp, that was fast, guess Super Retro Squad (Super Mario Bros. Crossover dev) passed its funding (barring a ton of people yanking, of course). I would guess that the lowering of the reward prices helped. There are stretch goals, too, but nothing that fantastic. Achievement system would be okay, but I don't see this hitting the new character/world (Sophia analog which he mentioned would be too difficult to code over), and maybe barring the character coding, that other type of simple non-resource intensive "crippling" in Kickstarters stretch goals annoys me anyway. Hopefully they can make good level design and team management so it'll eventually turn out well for those dauntless enough to donate.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Welp, Super Retro Squad hit every single one of its stretch goals. :psyboom:

I mean, I guess $50,000 isn't that much. Also, if it implodes maybe the documentary would be entertaining.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

As the sole ironic entry.

Eh? I don't know about that; isn't DLC Quest supposed to be a really bad XBLIG (and short, but it's only like 2 bucks)?

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I just found Sealark. The video isn't informative but the text is. Looks like a fun adventure game and the goal is only 5k.

Game looks absolutely adorable.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1338986832/sealark-an-oceanic-adventure-game

Oh hey, the music is going to be by the Tower of Heaven composer. Pretty awesome.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Wow, I can't believe I watched that whole Grimoire video. It was... captivating.

Citadel of Sorcery's NPC "living" path-system and the world generation looked pretty good, but I'm the type of guy who doesn't care if everyone acts like signposts as long as the gameplay is good :ohdear:. And the videos didn't show any combat or anything like that. Though, even if their MMO fails they could probably turn into a business selling out their generation engines.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

TychoCelchuuu posted:

In an exciting turn of events, just as Distance, the kickass arcade exploration racing game, and Star Citizen, the game nerds like me have been wanting for years, both decide to do AMAs on reddit, reddit goes down. HILARIOUS.

I just tried out the free Nitronic Rush last night besides not being a racing fan, and I was surprised, I had a ton of fun with it! Played straight through the hardcore levels. Anyone that wants to try it and is even an little achievement junkie, watch out: there's an achievement for resetting your achievements, so do it first. Hopefully the funds to Distance will pick up. I am a bit worried about them using Unity, though (a slight case of "once bitten, twice shy", and although I hear it is a good game engine I can't think of any real AAA-quality titles built with it, and even the ones I've played tend to have a sameish feel to them, particularly the first-person and platformer ones I've tried). Also, the $5,000 dollar for a custom vehicle thing; I'd really hoped when I first heard of it that there would be vehicle modding (I mean, there's already going to be a level editor) and was hoping maybe it could be a stretch goal. The cars seem a little fat and flat, too. But besides that I'm really excited about it!

Edit: Ah, they talked about vehicle customization and (immediate) car physics tweaking in that AMA.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 23, 2012

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I said AAA-quality. I've played some of Rochard and a ton of web demos of various types, but I'll look at your link later. Thanks!

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 23, 2012

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Is there a world map, or anything like that? Collectables?

Hakkesshu, I also thought the DS Giana Sisters was really quite bad. Though I'm glad to hear that the ratings for this one have been good so far! More quality platformers is a good thing, I think.

About Distance, I knew people were going to jump on that term as soon as I posted, sorry about that! I would have phrased it a different way. Let me put it another way: I've never played a game in Unity where I was surprised (or wowed) that it was built in Unity. Not yet, anyway, but it is still relatively new, especially for games with a non-indie budget, and it is targeted to budget developers. By AAA-quality I did not mean "critically", I wasn't using it as, "Oh, an A ranking is high so AAA is higher :downs:", but as in well- or even overproduced. Maybe even enough that the game engine is highly unrecognizable. But the breadth in using Unity is different than, say, using Unreal, so maybe that's not fair to say in the first place...

Regardless of all this hair-splitting, Nitronic Rush's game engine was built from scratch, so I'm just a tad worried is all.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

^ I'd assume not much (licensing, indie marketing), but that's a very fair question especially if it really is that early and not going towards some set, final polish.

psy_wombats posted:

So yeah, I think I can say it's "in motion," haha.
Ooh, that's pretty neat! Also, I might be missing :thejoke: but I think Renoistic meant at least a gameplay video.

Also, has your team, together or individually, worked on any other games? Always nice to to see some experience (especially coders) on a team.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 6, 2012

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Shalinor posted:

Eh, not really. What they were doing was doable - "edit the script the gun uses on target object" isn't really that hard. What's hard is turning that into an actual learning tool with some use beyond training the user to move objects in 3-space.

... but even if that's all it did, it would still have been better than about half the "Learn To Program Vidja GAMES!" books that came out in the 90's.

The project had promise, the developers just skunked it.

Yeah, I mean, I can see how it would work, something like that juicy breakout example (press escape) or any of those coding robot battling games. Here's code for how this gun shoots a bullet, with a in real time example/tool. If you want to change how the path and accuracy works, say make it "wavy", edit this. You want to change how the mass and acceleration works, edit this. Etcetera. But, it would have to be pretty ambitious from the start.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Install Gentoo posted:

You're expected to memorize levels.

for example.

I always hated that about Sonic games. Like, your skill in a game will obviously increase if you memorize everything, but series like Mario and Mega Man are great even if it is your first time through a level. Unless you want to walk through Sonic? Oh, wait, there's both a scoring and a time system. :suicide:

Eh, I'll give the demo a try, maybe they'll do the usual tricks to somewhat overcome those problems.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Wow, pretty crazy that Sega guy's doing something else. A (talented) fan obsessed. Also, OUYA. Do a shot or whatever.

NeonCowboy posted:

I hope it's not a breach of the rules to do a quick re-post here, but the free game that I've got going on IndieGoGo has been getting some really great reviews. You can download it at:

http://www.actualsunlight.com

It's not a game that I think anyone would be inclined to believe is good based on the screenshots (including the ones I posted earlier) so I'm hoping you guys will instead believe some of the other people who've played it.

Reviews (Some contain spoilers):

IndieStatik: “Actual Sunlight is the hardest hitting game about depression I’ve ever played.”

TorontoThumbs.com: “It’s not often that a game makes me sit back and say ‘whoa’.”

TPReview: “It might be the most profound and personal game I’ve ever played.”

To be honest, I'm not really too wound up about the fundraising campaign, and would totally love it if you guys would just check it out, play it, and share it with anyone else you think it might resonate with.

Thanks!

Hey, I thought this was pretty good! Anyone else give it a try? Not much of a "toy" game, you could compare it to To The Moon. I could definitely see how it is hard to shop, I kind of want to not say anything about it...

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I thought MegaMix was a Sonic CD hack. edit: Nm, it's a Sonic 1 hack that was ported to Sega CD.
Oh, wait, the guy I thought it was was the one who did the "enhanced" (remade from scratch) digital Sonic CD port for consoles and PC that Sega published themselves (Taxman). Not being a fan I didn't know there were like 3 or 4 different sizable projects.

This is a video of the 3-level Sonic Fan Remix which pelikan13 (the The 90's Arcade Racer Kickstarter dev) worked on.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Sorry in advance for the double-post, but I think enough time's passed.

Colon Semicolon posted:

So Freedom Planet, another indie platformer kickstarter.
I've been following Freedom Planet for awhile, and the progress they've made in a year is just staggering. It's still quite reminescent of Sonic, but it's got alot more effort put in than most attempts to ape the sonic momentum gameplay. They're also asking for an incredibly small amount of money! Looks like all they need to cover is the costs of building the game for different platforms.

Not sure if that voice acting is gonna be grating by the time it's done. certainly hope they keep it to a minimum.

Oddly, I thought the demo was pretty good. I mean, I'm the last person to talk to about True Sonic Gameplay (TM), but it seemed pretty smooth and high-energy to me, and in the demo the voice acting in-game wasn't constantly babbling or super weird. Only tripped up or got annoyed a couple times in-game, didn't really run into the "spring to spike" Sonic thing or any problems with having trouble anticipating enemies (except the snake popping up in the waterfall which seemed to like to spawn into me, and finding the flat part of the rotating spike pillars in the dojo. I thought the secondary character (the Tails/Knuckles analog or whatever) was pretty bad in comparison, though, except I found a motorcycle power-up which was pretty amusing. Sometimes it is a little hard to pick up speed (no down-zoom), but at least the demo level had a lot of exploration/platforming anyway.

It's also well above funded (surprise), and it was recently posted on Greenlight, so go nuts. Oh, while I do think the stretch goals characters look pretty bad, except for some bareness to the level (desert brown) the spriting was pretty good. Reading the comments, I personally didn't have trouble with air control or especially blending.

Now, that's the last I want to write about Sonic of all things...

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Wow, Back to Bed, I remember a RPS article about that (playable!)... in May 2012 apparently.

But, yeah, that video was putting me back to bed. :lol:
(Seriously, though, try to fix it if you can; even the gameplay at the beginning looks really odd and quick)

Edit: Oh yeah, a description might be nice. I may be a bit off-base, but I think you could describe it as a "path-blocking" puzzler with bizarre/abstract rules.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 19, 2013

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

NmareBfly posted:

Maybe because they almost made it, they'll be able to cram in weather effects and moon phases. Those seem more interesting to me anyway.

E: Oh, well if it's in with Paypal then whatever! :woop:
Yeah, I think the scheduling has potential to cause headaches (see any Harvest Moon game), but the weather system sounds interesting to me because the combat they showed was highly elemental. Come on Druid skills!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Edit: nm, think I was thinking about this Kotaku article about Silicon Knights (read it before you think about pledging), plus I just saw there's another thread for it. I remember some fair speculation that Nintendo went way beyond just "hand-holding" as far as development.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 4, 2013

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Well the poop lady is involved, now I KNOW this is quality.

Buttcoin :psyduck: You can't make this poo poo up.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Undertale is all funded, not surprising. I hope it does really good Toby Fox is a cool dude.
I was really impressed with the Undertale demo, I'm glad somebody posted it here on the forum. Toby Fox mentioned that he's thinking up new stretch goals since he blew through them already.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Why do people keep giving American McGee money

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Speaking of goon projects, UnderTale (Mother/Touhou/Shin Megami Tensei-esque bullet-hell RPG fantastic mess with demo) hit its $25k stretch goal (Kickstarter exclusive remixes by Coda and Flashygoodness). The next one is an alarm clock app for $32.5k. I'm hoping there'll be some in-game stretch goals next!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

So UnderTale (Mother, Touhou like game... jeez, deja vu) just posted its final stretch goal (+7k in its last week): a comic based on backer selected character(s), as well as preproduction on a new game. I noticed somebody recently bought some ads for it which is pretty cool.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I don't know why, you could just read the thread right here in this same subforum.
Yeah, firstly I'd view the thread by date, but if that isn't helpful I'd say to ask the Steam thread, that way you can avoid spoilers or if a thread is just too circle-jerky. There's already been some mini-reviews there (fair to good if somewhat constrained, short 10-12 hours, checkpoint system implemented late in development due to Unity problems, already impressive fan made stuff rivaling main campaign, if I'm remembering correctly anyways), and it is better than card talk anyway.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

FuzzySlippers posted:

Since it looks like all of the current footage is from the flash version he is abandoning to redo in Unity I'm surprised he didn't put up at least a small section as a playable demo. I assume playable kickstarters pretty much always do better?
Boy, from what I hear 2D isn't easy to do in Unity (although it is getting easier, and there are a few solutions already). They got their work cut out for them I think.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Well, I don't know about "fine"; they eventually released it for free to try to get new blood into it, but from what I hear it is the furthest thing from easy to get into...

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Arnold of Soissons posted:

That's so weird. It sounds like he did a fantastic job with the AI, the RPS comments are full of people complaining about the PvP, when apparently they all got killed by NPCs since there is no PvP in the game.
Not really on topic, but I've rarely read an article where I've been glad I bothered to read the comments. Usually they're just spam and Reddit-esque games and crap. I mean, RPS can be bad enough on its own.

Apparently there was a thread in MMO HMO years ago but you'd need archives for it. I have a slight feeling it is just a "mock" thread, though, before the game came out maybe? I thought there might've been a newer one but I couldn't find a scrap of it.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

skindepth posted:

Update from Tyberis:

I want to thank all of you guys for your input. I'm glad I wasn't a douchenozzle and stuck around to chat, because you've been more help to me than if you'd actually donated :10bux: to the project. LoT's Kickstarter project is suspended while we wait on a playable beta and I figure out what kind of KS video I want to do. I came for a kick in the rear end, and I got it. Goons rock. I hope there'll be a goon run House in the game when we start up. If you want to keep up with developments, we have a facebook located here where I'll post writings about the world's history, bits of video, and so on. https://www.facebook.com/LordsOfTyberis
I can't speak for anyone else, but since nobody responded, it's pretty great when somebody that asks for help and criticism does this, instead of just plugging their ears and going "Lalalalala, it'll be great!" I hope your second try goes better.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Overflight posted:

Speak for yourself. Every time I hear that title I can't help but think "...they're making a game about the Greek economy"?

"Deathfire: Ruins of Nethermore" just sounds generic.
I don't know, Ruins of Nethermore sounds like a :krad: Secret of Evermore spiritual sequel to me.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Read here and up. Goons being goons.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Pages back, but:

senae posted:

A better comparison for Vagante is spelunky, but dark and fantasy. I know this because there's a demo on their website and it's pretty rad.
This was pretty rad. Have to see how the balance plays out (I had problems getting good weapons, and shielding seemed a lot more OP than dodging that seemed too slippery especially in the stages with more traps), but it really did remind me if Spelunky was more of a roguelike/RPG. I got to the second or third Forest stage before I bowed out because I'd rather not OD on a demo.

I also recently had a fairly fun time with the Titan Souls Ludum Dare prototype, though I don't know what all the commentary about the high difficulty is about. In hated, perennial "thing is like thing!" tradition I'll say it's like Zelda meets Shadow of the Collossus/Dark Souls why not. It's not a Kickstarter (it's coming out on Steam and PS4/Vita next year) but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Pretty much in this case. Titan Souls is similar to Zelda:LttP graphically and in its movement system (but instead you only have bow w/ one magic arrow you can pick up or recall) but with a non-dodge roll, when you die (in 1 hit) you get send back to the warp area, and the only enemies are bosses which are highly developed as puzzles and are defeated with a single shot. Some of these things are already different in what the final will be, but while I don't quite get the media explosion it had it is still impressive it was made in 72 hours. I found it pretty fun, and there's not really an indie thread so v:shobon:v

I'm more interested if anyone has criticism about Vagante as the development of that is through Kickstarter and fairly open. There's a lot there to say something like "Spelunky needs to be more random! :downs:" but besides what I mentioned I found it fairly consistent in making progress.

Also, I was born with a rare vision disorder where I only see 32-bits (max) and this is part of my evil "revenge" scheme on the rest of humanity.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 1, 2014

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Dr Solway Garr posted:

Y'know this started as a Lundum Dare game about a year ago. While introducing it, he straight up says "Inspirations for the gameplay were primarily, Shadow of the Colossus and Dark Souls." http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/2013/12/16/titan-souls/

That stuff is totally self evident, as much in the design and visuals as it is in the fact that it has large bosses.
Thank you. I'll concede it doesn't actually resemble Zelda graphic-wise as much as my memory had me believe (though the newer video has some touches). I didn't think goons would be so touchy about my obvious comparison joke!

Great Rumbler posted:

It's cancelled. Probably because using artwork created by other people without getting their permission first is a bit of legal problem.
The creator mentions in the description he runs a Twitter where he posts his collection. I couldn't get his Medium site to work, and it's not as neat as having a coffee table book, but at least it's something. I don't know of any regularly updated sites unfortunately but there are similar ones out there.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

Hilarious. How is Rust, DayZ and 7 Days to Die doing?
There was a good post about DayZ recently in the GBS thread highlighting the developers' bizarre sense of priorities. There's a few replies scattered afterwards for a few pages, too. I couldn't find the other one I was thinking of, where a goon mentioned some acquaintance was doubling down and backing up bugs such as "break legs when you climb a ladder" or "die when you clip through the geometry" because of some nonsense about it making it more difficult (zombies are buggy and not usually a challenge). I think the the quote was something like, "It's fine! It's practically a dying simulator anyway!" There's also a lot of cheating (here, too) because of course there is.

Edit: Oh, they're talking about it again, too.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 3, 2014

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Wow, surprised that Vagante didn't catch on (it was posted here before on the 20th). Newest changes in the demo look good, too. Hopefully they resubmit it if it doesn't make it, it's already Greenlit.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Great Joe posted:

A tunic with a few buttons and a cape. :geno:
Kind of reminds me of the PSX before they could do faces (or cheaply enough at least). :silent:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Great Joe posted:

Even PSX games could give your character hair, a bandana, eyes, cheekbones, ears, a nose and a mouth.
Yeah, I probably should've rephrased that to "earlier PSX games before they could do faces (or cheaply enough at least)" which is closer to what I meant. The one I posted (King's Field 1 Japan) was literally like the 17th PSX game or something, while MGS came out in late 1998. Just a dumb tangent as I don't really expect there to be any influence :shrug:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

Developers that worked at DICE or other big companies are also probably stupid loving rich (relative to other indie developers on Kickstarter at least) and willing to put some of their own money into it.
Yeaaaaah, you should probably read the The Team section again.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Was kind of hoping for some more heavy hitters on the dev team (some of those people's past games aren't exactly promising). And no sound/music guy?

I'm probably just being pessimistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

al-azad posted:

I'd argue the text limitations required old games to be more direct. Mega Man 7 (probably the longest and wordiest of the original series) ending wouldn't have had the same impact if it wasn't so blunt.
I think I know what you're talking about, and it's funny because the Japanese ending just has Mega Man going "..."