Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I posted this in the Steam thread already but am I the only one that feels it's a bit scummy that the Leisure Suit Larry kickstarter only shows the EGA version for comparions?

EGA screen posted on Kickstarter:

VGA screen NOT posted on Kickstarter:

2012 remake screen:

The remake screen looks like a straight remake of the VGA version and not EGA version too - the look of the windows and the door, the roof with spotlights over the entrance, even the red doormat - it's clear which backgrounds they used as their refenrence material (not the EGA ones that they show on the page).

I know these are technicals, small unimportant stuff etc. but it looks like they're not showing the VGA version as a sales technique to validate their remake-of-a-remake. The fact that they already started developing this with a publisher before and only now jumped on the kickstarter idea while still having only the same old screen to show is strange. Something about this whole kickstarter rubs me the wrong way. Still good luck to them. I'd probably try the HD version for nostalgia's sake.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Apr 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I also can't get where they pulled the $500,000 sum from. Double Fine needed $400,000 for a whole new game - which means writing, developing the system, gameplay etc. This one is a remake where they already have the whole skeletton ready with dialogues, locations, characters, jokes, game concept etc.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Saoshyant posted:

Voice acting. It's expensive.

You've been unreasonable towards this project. I wrote a reply about your VGA <-> remake argument but seems to have been eaten (guess I hit preview and then closed the tab without submitting). Anyway, I just wanted to say the new artwork is really well done and actually original enough that if they keep the same quality throughout, not only will it look great, but it certainly won't be a lazy effort.

Sure, they just put the EGA screenshot for shock value, but that doesn't make your argument right.

I often post to get a different angle on the subject from the other side. As I wrote I still wish them goodluck with their project. I will drop the costs issue because to be fair I don't know how their costs are actually formed and it's a needless speculation.

However my point in all this is that for me this kickstarter isn't as clean cut as the other ones (like Double Fine's). With Schafer's game everything was clearly displayed - they don't have the money, they want to make a game that publishers don't see economically sensible. End of story. It's transparent exactly like a kickstarter project should be.

On the contrary in this LSL HD remake I just keep seeing issues that are avoided or slightly twisted by the devs in order to acheive their goal. They don't mention that they have/had a publisher who wants/wanted (past? present tense? who knows) to release the game - as if this issue never existed in the first place. They released a screenshot that was published long ago when they informed the media that they're working on the title. Was no work done on the title during these months? What happened? Again I would accept just a simple explaination but they avoid the issue as a whole. They don't explain anything to the backers in order to appear as just another team that wants to start from scratch on a project that would be impossible to even start without the kickstarter. The small issue with them showing EGA graphics for "shock value" just further leaves a bad impression on me.

I don't doubt they really want to release the game. I don't doubt they care about their own frenchise and would like to bring it to a new generation of gamers. I hate the way they went about the kickstarter idea though as it's not transparent about their intentions and project history.

The graphics aren't an issue here - I personally don't like the new version as the VGA version had an early 90's charm about it (by this I mean style, outfits etc., not that it was pixelated) that fitted the subject matter much more which the new version is lacking. But that's a question of taste and doesn't really matter.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 3, 2012

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Yodzilla posted:

Speaking of which I was wondering what he's been doing all these years and oh my gob http://www.allowe.com/
:stare:

Jesus loving christ

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

emoticon posted:

Holy poo poo, this is like a time machine back to the 90s. Al Lowe is every uncle you've ever had.

"For $10,000, we’ll create a memory that will last a lunchtime. You will be flown (domestic airfare only) to Seattle to enjoy lunch, dinner, or a morning-after breakfast with Leisure Suit Larry’s Mommy’s Baby Daddy, Mr. Al Lowe himself." :getin:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I was gonna make a fat joke but when I tried to find an accompanying photo every picture of Al Lowe appears to have him filled with a child-like glee

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Dissapointed Owl posted:

There's gotta be some gif potential there.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

If we derailed into tabletop/boardgame kickstarters - there are many that sound better than that and have much better art too.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Shadowrun goes really fast. So early after start they have over $40,000 already. People are hyped and it hasn't even hit the news yet.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I hope each of those games will have that creepy photo on the cover with just #1, #2 and #3 written in the corner.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I think Jane Jensen's will be the first "big name" kickstarter that will fail because apparently they weren't able to put together an inspiring presentation that would say or show anything about the game they want to make and went for writing a producer resume with the worst headshot sticked to it.

Also it seems that Shadowrun has stopped the Larry HD's cashflow.

MaverickEX posted:

It seems like some folks spend almost as much time planning the video as they do the project itself.

If you worked in the creative industry you would understand that presentation is EVERYTHING. They're asking people to give them money (whether it's producers or backers) to create something according to THEIR vision. Selling the idea itself is always a big chunk of their work.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Apr 5, 2012

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Quarex posted:

I actually thought their video was probably the most compelling overall, at least for someone who had no idea of the people involved nor really any interest in the genre they were working in. I totally did not expect any of the things that happened in the first minute or two of the video to happen, and that seems pretty good for a mystery teaser.

This is not the point. You might like the video, the atmosphere etc. but at the end of the day a regular person has to click "back this project" with a certain amount of money and this is when he/she stops and thinks "wait, what am I paying for exactly?" and this kickstarter just doesn't show it. You know what you expect from the Shadowrun, Larry, Wasteland - you get the vague idea. Here it's - oh, so this will be in the style of this other game but who am I playing exactly? What setting is this? What is it about? Anything?

A successful presentation should be short, cool but also give you some - even minimal - information so that you can imagine the game a bit. This one fails at this.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Do those kickstarters have a delay between submitting them and them appearing on the site? The only explaination for all these vets competing with eachother is that they all submitted their projects a week ago without knowing about the other games.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

:siren::siren::siren: Shadowrun just got funded :siren::siren::siren:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I know what they were trying to acheive but they forgot to learn how to draw in 2d before doing a project like that. The linework is really bad which is especially apparent on doors and details - it looks amatourish and I wouldn't be able to stand this game. The 3d depth doesn't make cartoon drawings better because what you lose is the detail quality and if additionally there's no style to their art it looks even worse. Also drat if that "style" isn't a dead ringer for Google Sketchup.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

They only ask for $15,000 and it's for publishing it and testing as the game seems ready. The problem is that it looks like a copy of many ideas from different sources without enough original content (Ravaged=Rage) mixed with some generic weapons. I'm also not sure about its readiness - animations look wonky and something is off about the first person view - it reminds me of Just Cause 2 fps mod rather than a dedicated fps title.

The vehicle videos look really cool though.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

^^^ EDIT: Hardcore Tactical Shooter gathered $160,000 during it's whole run and the remaining $40,000 within the last hour. Gee, I wonder how that heppened. So yeah the idea is definatelly real and works.

the black husserl posted:

After the insanity* of the Hardcore Tactical Shooter last day, how can you think this (or any big name) kickstarter will fail? They're already 1/6th of the way to the goal. It won't fail and neither will the Larry one.
I can see Larry succeeding but the Jane one goes really slow compared to the other successful projects and it doesn't target a hardcore niche ready to organise themselves to back it. Of course it's all speculation either way. My point was more that this particular kickstarter seems kinda off and wouldn't bring in people who have no idea about those older games. Wasteland and Shadowrun were pitched really good - in a way that could even convince people who hear those names for the first time.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 5, 2012

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

MaverickEX posted:

Sure, that's all common sense video makin' knowhow. I'm more concerned with stuff like fancy setups or locations like what the Takedown guys put together, or even what the Jane Jensen video does, though I suspect in the latter case it's her own personal property for the most part.

Seriously there's nothing expensive in both of those videos - that's exactly video making knowhow - I could find a shooting location like that warehouse for free any day for such a short film. The whole scene is cleverly located in a dark, enclosed space = cheap. From their earlier unsuccessful video I saw that they own quite a few guns and the special forces soldier entering the scene at the end could be just equiped with their own/their friend's stuff. Yes it's professionally shot but this lays in the skills of the people rather than anything that they paid for. The house in Jane's video is almost certainly her property etc. I really can't see any costs apart from hiring filmmakers (if they aren't their friends too) and borrowing cameras (which could also be free).

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

But so are the other kickstarters. Shadowrun and Wasteland are just funding names too, it's just that those names include an IP and a setting.

...and that's exactly the difference, the exact point. You already know the frenchise so it's not so much required to outline it in such a great detail. If you start a completely new game I'd like to hear basic stuff like "You will be a detective solving a case in XIXth century" etc. Hell, Shadowrun even described some of the classes you can use and I'm just asking for ANYTHING. If they were making the next Gabriel Knight people could already imagine what the game could be like - if they say they just make some adventure game with not a sentence about the setting or the character you just see a blank page.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

mutata posted:

Haha, see, this is my point. I said "charity" and some people immediately started thinking in business terms, just like they do when they say investment.
Also you can sense from a mile away that people who have fundamental problems with kickstarter don't have any idea how creative industries work and how difficult it is to put a foot in the door there. It's as if it's a magical land where people with talent and skills can sell their great ideas to people with money who listen. In reality most of the time it's about random contacts and family working at a publisher. Kickstarter is a strange beast that helps many people break from these closed community circles and realise ideas that would be impossible otherwise even if they're economically viable.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I haven't seen this posted yet so just letting you guys know that Wasteland 2 hit the 2,1 million milestone goal so now they have Chris Avellone from Obsidian on board.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

If you give money to a guy that says he will find a team to develop a game - you're basically hiring a publisher which is the exact function that Kickstarter is designed to get rid of.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

NINbuntu 64 posted:

By at least putting it in the hands of people who want to make even one specific game, you're in a situation that is far less compromising to maximizing business decisions.

Are you seriously seeing positive sides of giving money to ideas guys? I don't even know what to tell you. Yes they're not publishers from their motivation standpoint, they're still pretty much the worst kind of people that could start a kickstarter.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Quarex posted:

Yeah, that was really what I had the hardest time with--this trainwreck presentation and he seems to actually have something fairly compelling-looking to start with. Even if "you know her, and she will be the super hero in our game."

If that kickstarter had a professional video, nice graphical headers and the idea more fleshed out and synthesised - this would be a new superstar kickstarter game. Just shows how much the presentation matters. It's the most advanced kickstarter game I've ever seen. Goddamn that video picture alone would make people close the window and with such an impressive graphical engine why put a PS1 looking screenshot as the very first thing you see?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

El_Matarife posted:

That's basically what I'm expecting too, but I'm expecting a sales decline of 5-10% in a year before they figure it out. And I'm guessing some heads will roll in the upper echelons of a few publishers too, when they don't meet their numbers. I just don't know that we're going to see any Kickstarted games on XBLA / PSN until they loosen up the restrictions a LOT, and stop nickel and diming small companies for pushing patches or more free content to existing games.

Consoles are dead, pc gaming supremacy, I knew YCS was right goddamn...wait or was it the other way round? But seriously kickstarter is a drop when compared to the mainstream ocean. It's loving amazing that it exists but you're pulling 5-10% numbers out of air to make your argument sound valid - it's not. Small studios can get funding via kickstarter to create niche games that wouldn't surface otherwise. The word "niche" is a key here. Big studios won't change their ways because of this, just like Notch's remarkable success with Minecraft didn't make big studios start releasing titles as pre-orders or start listening to their communities.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Apr 12, 2012

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

mutata posted:

What? I don't see anything that would even remotely suggest that.

Don't forget that goons are blind and dwell in mole-like tunnels.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Quarex posted:

Well, that was a depressing story. I think you are the most reliable person to speak on this topic, if there is a plus side to all that.

I work in a completely different industry - architecture but all those investor stories sound really familiar. Every industry with big budgets has similar disconnect between client-investor-author. This is also the reason why kickstarter operates in every creative field really.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Rock Paper Shotgun article on a possibly upcoming Crimson Skies sequel kickstarter:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04/13/new-crimson-skies-nigh/

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

seorin posted:

To quote Robert Boyd (Zeboyd Games, developer of Breath of Death VII and Cthulhu Saves the World):

To add to the most recent Grimrock example - it was actually occupying the 1st spot on the best selling list for 3 days and only now dropped to 2nd. I'd also say that a grid-based dungeon crawler developed by 4 guys is more niche than any JRPG. This happened this week so it might be a good idea for Vic to actually visit a platform he's disregarding at the time he's writing about it. What a joke.

EDIT: Actually I think his ego/lovely character is the problem in all those interviews and the kickstarter too - he's a guy that HAS TO have a fixed opinion on everything he's asked about regardless how much he knows about the subject. So if they ask him about Steam he says some utter bullshit and outright wrong information worded as fact just to voice what he thinks - instead of, you know, saying he hasn't researched the subject just like any normal person would say. Having outright no knowledge on any given topic doesn't help either. I hope this kickstarter will not only tank but will be the first in history to actually burn down.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Apr 14, 2012

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

To be completely fair Double Fine had a really funny and professional video that was well editted and produced. This already put them ahead of huge % of kickstarters. Not that this says anything about the game, just that their presentation was flawless.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

NINbuntu 64 posted:

None of this has anything to do with a "clear vision" which is the point of contention.

Which I was not arguing at all?? It was an answer to both posts directly above mine which discussed his name being the only contributing factor. I wanted to add that they also did a great job on the presentation's quality, capiche?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Woah, I'm all for a Puzzle Quest-like game. It also looks almost finished. Thanks for the info.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

So are some gaming projects on indiegogo straight copies of kickstarters that some random person just stole to scam people out of money? Or are those the same studios looking for funds on both sites at the same time?

Like Yogventures for example.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Wow, that's just awful then.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Star Guarded posted:

Maybe indiegogo would have a better reputation if they reviewed for quality.

They should probably start with a pretty reasonable kickstarter rule where you don't get funds until you're at least 100% backed. I mean let's imagine you're doing a serious project with a realistically set budget (not necessarily a game) and you get only 80% of that. You actually CAN'T even go through with your project but you still get the money... :psyduck:

Palpek fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 25, 2012

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I kinda like the Carmageddon video. It's goofy and unprofessional but it's also very positive. I can't put my finger on it but despite its flaws I enjoyed it and I think it's good for kickstarter purposes.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I'm more wondering how that kickstarter even got through their submission process. I guess nowadays gaming kickstarters get a bit of an easier ride?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Check out the old footage where they hit themselves with a car for Carmageddon motion capture: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDGmb3wwvE0

How can you not give them money.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

nessin posted:

Nothing really, as long as they have a verified account that isn't connected to whatever account they submitted with (harder than it sounds if Kickstarter is doing even a half-assed job) or a friend who is willing to put up the money. That and they can afford the hit on their credit before the Kickstarter money is sent out to them.

Edit:
They'll also be in serious trouble if they're found out.

2nd Edit:
Actually it's probably Amazon doing the verification, and I'm sure they're pretty good at weeding out problems like that.

Was there ever a case where they found out and punished somebody for pledging to their own kickstarter? I'm just asking but I'd be really surprised. Kickstarter/Amazon gets a cut from a project getting funded and I have no idea why they would care where that money came from. Project gets funded, everybody gets money, everybody is happy. From economical standpoint and the resources they'd have to put into researching if every project got funded legitimately I'd say there's zero chance they're doing it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Is Republique going to make it? 14 hours and 50,000 to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Hakkesshu posted:

It's pretty astonishing that Republique is probably going to make it considering it was less than half funded last week. Where are these money coming from?

Kicktraq page shows that something happened May 3rd/4th and then May 9th/10th. Probably the mentioned articles.