Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Edison Carter posted:

What the crap O_O Okay, so... The Two Guys From Andromeda are officially back together and have started a new company... No mention of who they're working with yet, or what's going on with the funding, but yeah, there's no way this isn't another Kickstarter thing.
Pinch me I must be dreaming, they even got Gary Owens back. :allears:

If they do start a Kickstarter I hope they at least wait a month, my wallet can't take all this nostalgia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
This probably isn't as nostalgic as most Kickstarters going on, but remember the classic puzzle game Chip's Challenge? Apparently the original creator made a new puzzle game of the sort for iOS, and now there's a Kickstarter to get it on PC/Mac as well. It's only $5k short of its goal, great for those that don't have an iPhone and you get the full game for just $5.

SupSuper fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Apr 18, 2012

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Oh gawd how did I end up backing 17 projects, what have you done to me guys I am not good with money and nostalgia :ohdear:

Also looks like Castle Dracula was cancelled for reasons unknown (hopefully sanity), but they'll relaunch later! We can only hope.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

evilmiera posted:

Wait a minute. That last one, in the rewards section, says it gives out preorders as a reward. Is that their roundabout way of saying you get a key for the game at that price or are they just a bunch of asses?

Edit: I really need to get an indiegogo account. But then intense laziness sets in and I don't.
It's just a roundabout way. One of the problems with Kickstarter is that reward text can't be edited (probably to avoid bait-and-switches), so if it didn't turn out clear, they have to hope people read the news/FAQ.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Only $100 to get a copy of the game? What a steal!

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

I never got why people think Leisure Suit Larry was aimed at "perverts", I guess it's hard to convey otherwise once the "adult" label comes in (specially with the last two games), but there is absolutely nothing in there that would get anyone off. There were a lot more "lewd and pervy" adventure games back then, and Leisure Suit Larry was not it. It's just another adventure series with cheesy humour and lame puns where you play a loser hero (like every other Sierra game), only the jokes are more "adult", and I'm sure everyone has snickered at those at some point in their life.

Though I agree that LSL1 isn't a good target for a remake, the series only really started to shine by the last games (LSL5-7), but I guess it'd be weird to start from the end.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

Sure enough. Example, possibly :nws:. Oh, and that's Roberta Williams on the right. The Roberta Williams from King's Quest.
I was thinking of stuff like Spellcasting 101 and Leather Goddesses of Phobos. Boy text adventures were one hell of a drug. :v:

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Quarex posted:

In other Kickstarter news ... I think in regards to Fintilgin's earlier question about what the "bottom-rung" price will be in the future as they adjust it for maximum profit, I realized that the reason I have no interest in the Dead Linger is because I find it impossible to pledge $25 for something that I do not believe will necessarily come out. Has anyone else already found a project that they would have totally backed at like $10/$15 but somehow $20+ is JUST TOO MUCH?
I have that dilemma with the Turrican Soundtrack Kickstarter. :(

Edit: This must be the lowest (yet reasonable) goal I've seen yet: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2083615857/hast-du-eier

SupSuper fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 1, 2012

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Holy poo poo yes! :neckbeard: All these Kickstarters aiming straight for my nostalgia bone, wow, how do they even manage to dig up all these ancient licenses?

(also thank gawd this one will take one month or I'd go broke)

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Rebel Blob posted:

Man, it hasn't been all that long and new Kickstarter projects seem to be getting zero coverage. I just stumbled upon Skyjacker browsing Kickstarter, which seems like something that might have gotten more attention not too long ago. At least they have a nice looking gameplay video. Too bad the pitch is bizarre and poorly written, even accounting for the fact that English is probably not the first language of the writer.
I'm starting to see what people mean by Kickstarter being oversaturated with space games and RPGs. :v:

Also, comparisons like this in the description probably don't help:

quote:

SKYJACKER is:
LOTR by its gaming atmosphere of space saga
GTA by its criminal background and freedom of choice inside the game
NFS by its energy and gameplay dynamics, and ability to customize the vehicle

And all of them together, transferred to space.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Quadradextrous posted:

Looks like after some discussion the UK studio responsible for Carmageddon (the original, before Square Enix ran off with it and caused a big ol' fight to get the IP back) is going to kickstart the new game in lieu of publishing. I'm pretty interested!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stainlessgames/carmageddon-reincarnation?ref=home_location

Rebel Blob posted:

I guess that answers if people have burned out on Kickstarter yet, Carmeggedon has raised $50,000 in the first 4 hours. Things really slowed down in the past few weeks, but it looks like a big name will still do it.

In other news, the Two Guys from Andromeda have just launched their SpaceVenture Kickstarter. They are pretty vague about the game they will create, but their pitch says they will release a demo for every $100,000 raised.
:aaaaa:

You know what internet, just have my wallet, go on take it, I wasn't really using it anyways and clearly you need it a whole lot more than me, go on just have it all it'll make it much easier for the both of us.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Swagger Dagger posted:

Something about that Carmageddon kickstarter really bothers me, I don't know what it is. Maybe just the tone of the whole page.
The Carmageddon developers have a... unique sense of humour. Really, they're not being forced or cringeworthy just for Kickstarter or something, they really are like that. Just check their website or Youtube. It's not for everyone, but hey, Carmageddon, Carmageddon is cool. :v:

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Sankis posted:

The Carmageddon dudes should really have put limits on some of the reward tiers. I'd hate to see them blow a ton of money just printing up t-shirts and card games.
They have a merch store on their website, so they probably already have something set up to handle physical rewards.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

lordfrikk posted:

Are there any news at all regarding Takedown or has it gone totally silent?
All Takedown updates are going on in their forums.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

What do you do when you're unemployed? Why, make a Kickstarter for an RPG about unemployment, of course!

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Songbearer posted:

You'd better loving believe I put down some cash for the Carmageddon kickstarter. A new Carmageddon game to me is as glorious as the second coming of Jesus, shortly before he gets splattered by a dump truck.

Did you know they got their reference for the impact of running someone over in Carmageddon 1 by actually hitting a member of staff with a car? Repeatedly. In a parking lot. Which got the police concerned after a bystander reported them.

Then they hit him around the back of the head with a 2x4 to record his reactions for the "Prat-cam", which was a reactive portrait of the driver like the Doomguy face. These guys are loving insane, and I love them.
You should see how they celebrate Christmas.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Looks like nostalgia isn't enough to carry every Kickstarter, as Conquest 2 is barely 1% in (though their goal is pretty high), and Battle Chess doesn't look like it'll even reach 20% despite all the apparent progress and gameplay videos they've been bringing out. :(

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

This is the worst thing I have ever seen

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

One of the downsides of Kickstarter is I'm really starting to get wore out on some genres, specially once I realized most of my backed projects are the same, and I must not be the only one.

There seems to be an over-saturation of RPGs (that will totally bring out the glory and charm of old-school RPGs unlike all those other scrub RPGs honest) and space games (this is the one that will bring the perfect combination you've always wanted of trading and piloting and missions and depth and complexity and space and) going on. Also if I see another goddamn zombie survival game... (that is totally about survival and sandboxy and not action like all those other lovely zombie survival sandbox games")

Most of these projects are focusing on "nostalgia" or "genre fandom" instead of working on setting themselves apart, and I imagine it's really gonna hurt pledges on the long-run once people realize they've apparently been backing the same game dozens of separate times. Adventure games at least have the advantage that they easily stand out from one another and appeal to different crowds.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Daryl Surat posted:

The saturation you're speaking of is less the amount of these games and more that they all got announced around the same time last month, which coincides with all the other game Kickstarters that were also announced around that time in the wake of the DoubleFine Adventure Kickstarter from three months ago. But "over-saturation" is not quite the right word.

How many worthwhile non-MMO space sim game Kickstarters have there been since the time DFA got funded? Far as I can tell it's this: Starlight Inception (funded), Drifter (92% funded with 13 days to go, it'll make it), Kinetic Void (32% funded with 8 days left), and Skyjacker (16% with 9 days left). Putting aside the fact that the one I'm most interested in is the one with the least overall progress, that's four games for a genre that's been dead for 13 years. That's not over-saturation. Heck, we'll probably get at least four military FPS titles this year alone!

Of course, the key difference is that those shooters won't usually all be sold within 30 days of one another, as is effectively the case here. Under normal circumstances I would say "these Kickstarters in similar genres to one another should just wait for the other ones to be nearly done before announcing theirs, that way it's spread out to one a month or so" but the Kickstarter iron is hot and now is the time to get people on board, in the midst of all the elevated and widespread anti-publisher sentiment going around. You know like how everyone is saying Torchlight II would really benefit if it came out within the next 30 days, while people are still mad at Blizzard over all that Diablo 3 launch stuff? It's the same idea.
Yeah you got a point, it's not so much "there's too many space games" but "there's too many space games now", at one point there seemed to be a new one everytime I checked this thread. I got nothing against the projects themselves, and I understand wanting to get in on the Kickstarter fad while it's hot, but even just 4-5 similar space games are enough to compete for my wallet and I'll just end up picking one over the rest. And since they all just seem to be selling themselves on being various "space combat/trading" blends without really standing out from one-another, I'm just gonna end up arbitrarily picing one and rolling my eyes at the rest.

What I'm getting at is I just want game projects to distinguish themselves more. Kickstarter is becoming a bit like the polar opposite of the regular industry, instead of having everyone running to cash in on the same tired FPS, you have everyone running in to cash in on the same lost genres, so you're getting dozens of similar projects with nothing but "nostalgia" to back them up, and that might just end up devaluing the genres all over again as people get tired of the same shtick before the games are even out.

Edit: On a lighter note, this is one of the silliest nostalgia projects I have seen recently. I even doubt they have the original game rights.

SupSuper fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 23, 2012

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Quarex posted:

It hurts me to think that there are "too many" oldschool party-based CRPGs coming out, given that there are eight billion non-old-school games out all the time that make all of us crazy by their very existence. Well, unless they are good.

I admit to being a little surprised to hear this also because I thought I had gone pretty pledge-crazy, but each "genre" I supported seems to have one or two at the most games that will actually succeed. The space game thing confuses me; Drifter and Kinetic Void are both the good CRPG-lover-friendly kind of space game where you can do interesting things, and the other ones were more "shooting ships in infinite detail! Wooo!" kind of space games that have never done anything for me. I consider those to be very different types of games, even if superficially they are all "space games."

As for CRPGs, Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun, despite both depicting nightmare future realities, are so far apart in tone and likely in gameplay that they do not seem to be occupying the same space (in my mind, anyway) either. I do think there are about 50 too many platformer games out there right now, but that is to be expected given how popular they are in the independent gaming scene.
I wasn't trying to pick on any specific genres, they were just examples I quickly pulled out of thread. I could've used FPS/platformer/RPGmakers/etc but I'm pretty sure everyone's wore out of those to begin with.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Quarex posted:

True enough. Now, obviously, the more into an overgenre (das übergenre) someone is, the more likely they are to further differentiate; people who have never played any games of a particular "type" might not even think about how different two games of the same sort could be. Kind of like how nobody who had ever played any of these games would think Borderlands or Rage was similar to Fallout or Wasteland despite all being post-apocalyptic games. CRPG fanboys like me might sneer at anyone who fails to call Diablo an "action RPG" or improperly labels King's Bounty as a "strategy game" instead of a "strategy game with RPG elements" or something strange like that, but yeah, there are likely people out there who do not even necessarily see how Diablo is different from World of Warcraft.
Yeah, I can understand that. Most of these "nostalgia Kickstarters" already have a core audience in mind which will immediately get how their game stands out from the rest so they don't feel the need to go into too much specifics, while plebes like me just see "space game" in the descriptions over and over. Likewise, I can easily tell you how every adventure game coming back is wildly different from one another (so don't question my oldness ;)) while a lot of people would probably have a hard time getting more than just "a point 'n' click adventure" out of all their descriptions. So in the end maybe a lot of these Kickstarters aren't doing too hot because there's not enough people that just "get it" as they assume.

Also I'm sure you could describe any game these days as "X with RPG elements" and be right on the money. :v:

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Arthur D Wolfe posted:

For those that enjoy the genre, that is the entire charm. Zombies are mindless and terrifying enemies that cannot be reasoned with. It does not matter if you are man, woman, or child: you will have to fight to survive. That sort of thing does a number on the human psyche, and some people really enjoy that unsettling sensation.
That and they're cheap guiltless fodder. :v:

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

There's a difference between "normal" smacktalk and stuff like "I hope someone rapes and murders you on the way home, you worthless oval office" (Actual Quote TimeTM) or outright threats of violence, and there's a big difference between shittalking someone because it's "part of the game" and doing it because they had the audacity to be female/black/gay/poor in your favorite male/white/straight/rich-dominated game/hobby/bar/profession.
Not getting on Whack's side, but that is an entirely different problem from the minority issues. There is no such thing as "normal" smacktalk, the internet is dumb and stupid and will pick on everything with a pulse regardless of rhyme and reason in full force so even the malest/whitest/straighest can get that sort of vitriol if they're out of luck and it sucks for anyone involved.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

This is partly true but does not detract from the point, which is why I specifically address it in the post you quoted:
Sorry I missed the edit :shobon: but I agree, there is never any excuse for shittalking, specially trying to pass it off as "part of the game".

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Barudak posted:

And yet there she is sitting in a hot-tube with no sign of a swimsuit on the cover of Soft-Core Adventures.

Seriously though, KQ is a series that was bullshit but innovative for the first few and then dropped the innovative part. Go watch the Retsupurae's by Slowbeef and Diabeetus of KQV/VI for demonstrations of their unfairness.
To be fair it was part of their business model. Hintbooks were a very lucrative business before the internet came to be. :v: Although out of all the Sierra series, King's Quest was definitely my least favorite.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

ekuNNN posted:

I guess you have to get a debit card with one of the major credit card companies then? Or at least I can't find an option for adding a Maestro card, which is the system used by most European banks. Maybe I'm just overlooking something. v:shobon:v
I have a Maestro card too but my bank can generate virtual credit cards I can use anywhere online which fixes the problem. You can check if your bank has something similar or use one of the many virtual / prepaid card services out there.

Tippis posted:

I'll grant you that one, and with kickstarter, it becomes rather CC-like anyway since you pledge to spend a whole lot of money at a later date when you most likely won't be able to afford it. :ohdear:
Or you back a bunch of projects because they'll take months to come due and they all pile up around the same date. :v: The website desperately needs a "how much money I've pissed away" meter, not having a visible log of how much you still owe makes you more careless.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

cydereal posted:

Said I'd be back with an update with how our Kickstarter promotion on Reddit went.

Reddit was good for a bit over $2,200. As far as the direct impact we made by getting on the front page of r/gaming for something like 12 hours, I'd say it wasn't very effective. We did, though, see our web traffic spike to about 1500 unique visitors to our company site.

We're learning very quickly that this project is going to have to get out to a ton of people to stand a chance. Our niche market--the guys still playing Descent 2--seem to like the game, but they're not backing us in numbers or with big pledges.

There was a ton of goodwill in the thread though. I answered questions for about twelve hours yesterday, and even people who didn't get a copy of our last game tended to be happy to see our project.

The safe bet is on failure around 25% funded for us right now, unless we suddenly get a lot of press. I have a press-only alpha demo of Retrovirus I'm passing out, so hopefully more people in the media download it!
For what it's worth, I'd usually back a project like yours in a heartbeat (gently caress yes more Descent) but I'm still waiting on my wallet to recover from this month's Kickstarter craze. :shobon:

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Unbeknowsnt posted:

Hey SA members. I'm not one for posting in general. This time however, I have to make sure the word gets out. It's about a little independent gaming company called The Exploding Rabbit. The Exploding Rabbit is making a new game that any nostalgic NES gamer will appreciate.

It's called the Super Retro Squad. Here is a link to the Kickstarter page.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...per-retro-squad

Now why am I bringing this to your attention? The Exploding Rabbit is an incredible group of people who are putting hard work and effort into what they love. Old school gaming. If you don't know about Super Mario Bros. Crossover not only are you missing out, but you are also doing yourself wrong by not playing this amazing game.

Super Mario Bros. Crossover can be played on Exploding Rabbit's website here:

http://www.explodingrabbit.com/game...-bros-crossover

I encourage any interested gamers to head over to Exploding Rabbit and see what the team has to offer. I believe you will be surprised.
You're not one for posting in general except when it's to advertise everywhere and copy-paste so bluntly you didn't even check if the links still worked.

Also if you had read the thread, you'd have seen we've already discussed and dismissed that project, so you have to do better than that to reassure us.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

I just ran into this Kickstarter and I was just shocked by how humble it all feels: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2088045881/paper-sorcerer

No gimmicky pitch, no unbearable developer, no fancy rewards, no big names, no massive goal, no nostalgia IP, no piles of stretches, no oversold idea, no nothing. Just a guy enjoying making a classic Wizardry-style RPG with an interesting premise and a working prototype, and all he wants is $5k and you can have the game for as low as $3.

I'm not that into RPGs so I don't even know if his game idea is that great, and he's probably under-budgeting with all those target platforms (he probably thinks it's as simple as having Unity just export to them) and physical rewards, but I pitched in just for how reasonable it is. :shobon:

SupSuper fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 3, 2012

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Looks like the Jetpack 2 kickstarter decided to relaunch due to budget concerns, the goal is now just $10k and all the physical rewards were removed: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/adept/jetpack-2

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

So apparently some guys got the license of Bad Dudes to make a sequel, though the fact they got nothing to show besides some lovely concept art (though they've cleared up they got a proper artist now) isn't very encouraging.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

seorin posted:

While this isn't a kickstarter to fund a new game, if anyone happens to be interested in a physical version of SpaceChem, now's your chance.
Ohhhh I love Spacechem. :neckbeard: It's also shocking to see a videogame Kickstarter with a goal under 1k with such simple focus.

Also didn't see this posted before, the Star Command guys commented on the whole Kickstarter drama. It's really long, but basically doesn't really clear much besides:

quote:

tl;dr - We disagree. Your money, time and faith is in good hands. Rest easy.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Didn't see this posted before, but Alpha Colony posted their 20 ways to screw your Kickstarter! (ergo things they did wrong, as well as some right ones).

Also, the GameJournos guy is making a Kickstarter for a webseries about notable videogame ports. Nothing big but the goal's just $4k, so if you like the guy's brand of humor or just wanna support him, this might be right up your alley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UsiB2hzyb8

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

Ice-Pick Lodge, makers of Pathologic, the absolutely brilliant The Void, and the utterly bizarre Cargo! The Quest for Gravity, have made a Kickstarter for their next game, Knock-Knock. It's a bizarre, Russian mixture of Lode Runner and the movie Home Alone.

They have a very small goal to reach and I would really love it if we could help get them there. Ice-Pick Lodge are among the most brilliant developers in gaming history, and they could use this help (since I don't think Cargo! sold very well...).
It's good to know Ice Pick Lodge still hasn't left whatever crazy drug trip they've been on since 2002. :)

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

So the Carmageddon devs started up a closed forum for their kickstarter backers. Has anyone registered and checked out what they've posted there? Anything of interest?

I did back them myself but didn't register because :effort:
I only registered to vote on their polls, and no there's nothing of interest in there. Most Kickstarters followed the Double Fine bandwagon of setting up backer-exclusive forums and such without actually coming up with any good content for it, so they're mostly full of backers discussing the dumbest poo poo.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Thewittyname posted:

The Project Giana people just posted a new gameplay video. Looks pretty cool - like a mixture of Trine and Sonic.
Wow that looks absolutely fantastic, I'm a sucker for platformers and the shifting mechanic looks really great in action, with everything smoothly changing instead of just swapping in place.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

According to project creators, Kickstarter only lets them send one survey to everyone, so they either do a catch-all survey (and figure out the smartasses themselves), or they have to use an external survey system to manually make and send different surveys for different tiers. I imagine Kickstarter wasn't designed for the kind of flexibility creators come up with these days.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

It's the first Kickstarter I see so heavily sponsored though, ATI even promoted them on their newsletter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

MrBims posted:

Double Fine did even less, since they didn't even provide a context for their game of what to expect, beyond 'adventure game.' That's why I find the comparison interesting, since just like Double Fine, this is getting a huge burst of pledging just from the celebrity status and pedigrees of the designers.
Double Fine is a game developer though, so at least the Kickstarter is in their ballpark, and you kinda know what to expect based on their library. Plus I imagine half the people that donated to Double Fine wasn't for the game but for The Tim Schafer Adventures video series. :allears:

Homestuck... well, even if you know what Homestuck is all about, you have literally no clue what could possibly come out of anything ever. :v: But I doubt anyone had any doubts about the power of rabid internet fanbases. My only question is where the hell do people even get this money, in just one day there's already way more high-tier backers than Double Fine ever had.