Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Beast Pussy posted:

So in the newest Underworld Ascendant post, I feel like there was a weird cop out. They recently did a survey to see what people wanted out of the game, and this update was to let us know that they tried underworld in VR, but it was they think that their graphics are too WICKED SICK to be accurately reflected in VR.

Like, just admit you don't want to dedicate resources to it because making VR games is hard. Also, don't include it on your poll if you don't want to potentially do it.

Link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/othersidegames/underworld-ascendant/posts

My biggest issue with this is the next stretch goal they're advertising. Lizardmen is great, a new swamp area is great, a novel by a mediocre by-the-numbers fantasy author? I could take it or leave it. I think that sort of thing and the companion pets etc would be much better off left to the very highest stretch goals.

Also, I swear to Guardian, you better be able to find a Silver Sapling Seed somewhere in the Abyss. I know it's a higher tier reward, but that thing was loving vital to the original game, and if they have anything like the difficulty of that then you're going to need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
re: Underworld Ascendant. I'm still in on that one, but I got in early for $20, and I never back a KS for more money than I would be annoyed about losing and never seeing anything for. If I was at anything higher I would have dropped down to the $25 tier by now. I want it to be great, but at this stage all I'm expecting it to be is "a video game, delivered many months behind schedule, lacking many promised features".

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Beast Pussy posted:

What's the over/under on a "mysterious angel backer" dropping like 100 grand on Descent?

They're a little under a 100k with a little under a day, and even with the regular last-48-hours increase in funding rates factored in they're going to fall about 80k short. At this stage, "mysterious angle backer"* is the only way they're getting there, which hopefully will indicate to the devs that their project isn't feasible, because they don't actually have much going for them.

*we all know what this actually means.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
That looks like fun, as stated the dynamic world stuff is going to be a pretty big stretch, but I think it's worth kicking in :20bux: now to see what they come up with. There's a pretty long lead time on it, so I assume they don't have a lot done apart from some mockups, and I also assume I will have long forgotten about it by the time it does come up.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ThePhotoshop posted:

Hey, I'm the developer of Wildfire (also apparently a garbage dick?).

Don't worry about this, it's just what every newly registered poster on the forums has as their avatar. It used to be a picture of a baby with "stupid newbie" as the title.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I just got an update from the creators of Outward - The Adventurer Life Sim saying that they'd cancelled it. I definitely read about it in this thread, so I'm probably not the only one. Their narrative for the failure to reach their goal was all about marketing and the press not picking it up, which might be a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy, in that complaining about lack of press is usually a terrible way to get more press. Oh well, they're talking about trying to get a Canadian government funding grant, which would mean they completely fund the project based on what they want. I'm not going to hold my breath to hear anything but it seemed like a cool little idea. Maybe the survival walking simulator market has already reached saturation? I thought this one might have been sufficiently different from the rest to get going.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Trapezium Dave posted:

Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption, the kickstarter project from the Coles of Quest for Glory fame, will be back next week with their second kickstarter for an additional $100K.

This is the kickstarter I feel most guilty about contributing to, not due to my lost money but because I feel the Coles would be better off if this project had died back then. It's not going well in a large number of ways.

I loved the original QFG games and still have them (shout out to my homies at GoG) for any time I want to do another play through, but the Hero U stuff really just smacks of me-too-ism with all of the other people getting major paydays from nostalgia products. The problem with Hero U is that narrative-driven point and click adventures died for a reason, and betting your house on bringing them back is only going to cost you your house. I don't know how many developers worked on Heroine's Quest, but they clearly didn't bet their houses on it, it's everything a 2014-era QFG should be, and it was exactly the price the market would bear.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Did they ever fix the crash-to-desktop bugs in QFG4? I never finished that one because I could never get past one of the fights, because it would always poo poo itself in that fight.

Also, it's funny to see a bunch of nerds like us talk about their favourite QFG game, without number three coming up once. C'mon, it was still pretty good.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Peas and Rice posted:

The GOG version fixed the crash I believe. If you don't want to spend $3 the next time the QFG bundle rolls around, there's still a fan patch out there somewhere that fixes it.

I remembered that they had them on their service and opened up my account to check the prices here (:australia:) and I gotta tell you I have no recollection of this whatsoever.

The only game there that I remember getting is The Witcher because I recently bought a new graphics card that came with it. Welp, there's my weekend sorted!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

DolphinCop posted:

any conceivable benefit of the programmable gameboy thing needs to be weighed against the fact that all hardware kickstarters are doomed to failure

All minus one - the Ouya took a whole bunch of people's money so that we could all learn that they don't work. Ouya has failed since, sure, but its KS campaign was a success.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Levantine posted:

The BTIV Kickstarter refers to "Phase based combat". Is that different than turn based? I love me some Wizardry but I'm not a huge fan of the real-time games like Grimrock.

monster on a stick posted:

So would the classic board game Diplomacy be a good example of a phase-based game (since half the fun was figuring out what happened during the execution phase)?
The best example of a phase-based game I can think of is the boardgame Robo Rally, where all of your instructions are placed face-down at the start of the turn, and then they resolve simultaneously with an initiative mechanic to solve any clashes (two robots going into the same space etc).

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

It took me a bit to realise that the things-appearing-suddenly wasn't terrible pop-in, but actually part of the pinging sonar mechanic. At least I think it was. Any ways, backed for a tenner out of what I was planning to send towards that Outward game before it cancelled. Diluvion kind of looks like Sunless Sea, only not so dour all the time.

Memento fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jun 4, 2015

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Trapezium Dave posted:

It's also worth noting that the $28 digital copy of Bloodstained is without any special backer bonuses - it's the exact same game anyone can get when it is completed. You need to spend $60+ for any of the special Kickstarter only content (that's why there's a $60 digital version).

Is there any indication of how much they're going to charge for this game at retail? $28 for a 2D platformer already seems pretty steep, regardless of the quality of the game, which I'm sure will be high.

edit:

Yodzilla posted:

It all depends on the size of the game. If Bloodstained is standard Castlevania length then it's definitely worth $30-50 bucks. Yooka-Laylee is a complete mystery but it could very well be a Grow Home size bite of entertainment.

I didn't see this post, so I guess that doesn't seem unreasonable to others. :shrug:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
This was from a few pages ago but I wanted to give people a little update on this project I backed, Diluvion. It's an exploration game in the vein of Sunless Sea, except a) you're in a submarine and b) it's not so loving grimdark all the time. You explore oceans under a frozen surface, with combat in 3D, and visit towns and interact with your crew in 2D. It's NOT procedurally generated, which I initially thought from my first view of it, and now I'm honestly not sure where I got that impression from. The developers have done a decent job on their campaign so far, in that they have had constant updates to backers, no in-game items for more $$$, no ridiculous stretch goals, they've indicated they're releasing two expansions that they won't be charging for, a solid breakdown of expenses, and in general a realistic proposal. The models they're including with higher tier levels are 3D printed copies of the subs in the game, which I think is pretty neat, as well as being a cheap way to give a greater reward.

The developers are also behind Ballpoint Universe, which has seen decent reviews and success on Steam. I haven't played it but I remember seeing some goons had it and had a good time in it. The cheapest "get-the-game" tier for Diluvion is :10bux:, and it's on track to get funded according to Kicktraq. It looks like something I could really enjoy sinking 50-odd hours into, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Alan Smithee posted:

Welp, Shenmue 3

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3

Watch that money meter go vrooooo in realtime

Surely if Sony can give them space on their main stage E3 show, they can just publish the loving thing? I guess they want to get themselves a record for game with the highest backed total ever and this is their play.

Was Shenmue actually good, or are there a lot of people with rose-tinted glasses in my twitter feed?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They're definitely going to be chipping in but there's no way they're gonna spend (or raise) anything near AAA money so why even bother?

Because getting free advertising is better than paying money for it. And what's even better than that is to get people to pay you to advertise your game. It's an incredibly cynical play that the gaming community in general is swallowing whole.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Kyrosiris posted:

Excuse me, I have a sweet-rear end bust statue of Duke.

...Christ that was such a poor decision.

drat, that's some irresponsible expenditure right there. You're definitely in the correct thread!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Zwiebel posted:

You shouldn't.
Hey now I'll make up my own mind about these supposedly classic games thank you.

Zwiebel posted:

I guess it's lasting legacy is that it was partly responsible for bringing interactive cutscene QTEs back as a big gameplay thing
Right then, gently caress a Shenmue forever.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Hey guys, I wanted to post this one, some friends of a friend are working on a game that I think looks neat. It's a 2D shooter spaceship game, with a pretty cool twist:

Defect posted:

Build a ship, complete a mission and wave it goodbye when your crew defect to the other side. Then design a new ship to hunt down those mutinous traitors in an endless cycle of punishment and revenge. Don't make that new design too good though, because odds are you'll be fighting it pretty soon

Link to the campaign: Defect by Three Phase Interactive - Kickstarter. They have other funding, mostly government, that has let them work on this in addition to their other projects for quite a while, and already have a working game. The KS money will be to flesh it out with different missions and modes and more customisation of the ships. Get-the-game backer level is $8 USD for the first 200, $9 after that.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Diluvion updated today with a neat little video showing the combat mechanics, blowing up some drones. Needing to manage the weapons between the sides of your ship looks cool and the torpedoes being fire'n'forget looks cool as well. I'll have to see a bit more of a demo to see how the click and drag multiple targets thing works, but overall the progress looks pretty great. The second ship he pilots looks like a beast, but he says that it's a military ship and I assume it'll be pretty late-game.

For some reason this video doesn't load up a preview image, but there's no problems with playing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Atru0zvSxuA

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Diluvion passed its funding goal in the last few hours, it wasn't really ever in doubt but it's nice to see it confirmed.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Colon Semicolon posted:

When are people going to stop making ugly pixel graphics games that look like nothing that was ever produced on old hardware? This is a legitimate question.

Like I've reached this point where when I see games that look like this I immediately forget they exist because there's nothing that can be done to salvage the irreparable laziness this 'style' brings forth.

Did you watch the video in Coldrice's previous post? I mean, I get that you don't like the way that the game looks, but it 100% looks like something I might have played on my 386dx-33 in the early 90s.

Also, I think I've seen a post like this from one of the threads I lurk in that is fairly relevant.

"Art's a pretty self-serving thing. Most of it is not meant for anyone but the artist's own interests"

spoiler: that was you

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Colon Semicolon posted:

Okay we get that you wanna defend a game made by a goon and all but really this is getting rediculous.
Like we get that old games were made by teams of people but the thing is the art teams that actually made the graphics were usually fairly small. It's not hard to make art that looks good with limited people and resources.

Like I get that everyone's on this kick of 'art can be whatever you want' but at the same time it's just bad form to not put your all into what you do and atleast have some sense of standards and betterment for your work.

This is a kick that you, yourself, are also on, to the point of being probated for it in other threads. Also, consider the fact that the creator of that game, that represents that creator's second successful kickstarter, is working alone with minimal artist input. And also that the creator is a programmer, not an artist. gently caress yourself for saying they didn't put their all into their art.

How many times do people need to point out how much of a loving oval office you're being before you ragequit this thread as well? Because that's the number we'll do it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The Shovel Knight devs announced a retail release today, and they also announced the game has sold over 700k copies. Between the retail release and the eventual Japanese release they'll break a million, no problem.

I read the press release on their website, and basically every single comment is asking for a PS Vita version. Are there really that many Vitas out there? I know Sony had a write down of ninety odd million in Q4 last year based on Vita and PS TV results, but I don't know the split there. And I also don't know how hard the Vita is to develop for.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Vita's pretty straightforward to develop for and Shovel Knight is already available digitally for Vita but the viability of retail Vita games is not good - retailers aren't interested, cartridges are relatively expensive to manufacture, the install base is small and the people who do own Vitas tend to be digital-centric to begin with. They could crowdfund a one-off print run of cartridges if push comes to shove but a big mainstream release isn't really sensible.

Ahh, that makes a lot more sense then, these people are interested in a retail box for Vita. I thought they wanted a Vita version that didn't exist in any form.

I can hardly imagine, in 2015, wanting a retail box for any sort of software. Windows, I guess? Definitely no game needs one. I download everything, and I have the shittest internet available in the developed world.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

turnip kid posted:

Shenmue 2 is the greatest game ever. I don't understand how people keep writing off a series backed by a legendary game designer like Yu Suzuki.

Well, apart from Shenmue, it appears he has made a bunch of racing games and fighting games. And he has spent the last 15 years making mobile and arcade games. I understand that people like to hold up the accomplishments of their heroes as evidence they can do well again, but you also have to take the big fat pile of meh that they have done in the last decade-plus into account when you're evaluating them.

Also, I don't know why Shenmue fans are so amped up about this, it's been less than five years since the last one :v:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeah the entire point of Kickstarter stuff in general is you're only after the money from people who care about whatever concept and are willing to back up their "oh yeah I would totally pay for that".

But this is completely, demonstrably not the point of Shenmue or Bloodstained, the former being the subject of discussion. The money from kickstarter in both cases is in the minority share of their funding. I think it's going to be hilarious when Sony dump a truckload of money into Shenmue, and then the people that have already paid for the digital version end up being the only ones that want it at full price, and it ends up on Steam for $4.99 in eight months time. Bonus points for if Sony decide to use it as the launch "killer app" for whatever Uplay/Origin/Rockstar Social Club thing they decide to make to try and claw money away from Steam - not that I've heard anything of the sort, but it seems like the thing they would do.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

mycot posted:

I don't know if you're being serious or not but Sony isn't giving much, if any, money to the actual development of Shenmue 3, just marketing. I'd actually love to be proven wrong and for Sony to suddenly pony up millions but it hasn't happened so far.

Gio Corso, Sony's Director of Third Party Production and Developer Relations posted:

Sony and PlayStation is definitely a partner in this game, and it’s going to be run through third-party production. We’re going to help Ys Net get the game done, we’re going to be partners on it the whole way, and we're really excited to see this thing come out in a couple of years

There's no actual dollar values attached to this quote, but it sounds like a fair bit more than "just marketing" to me.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Are you agreeing with me? I can't tell.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Nintendo Kid posted:

What's "hilarious" about "how every other game works, only the full price is paid in advance and the price drop comes sooner after release"? I mean people have been preordering at full price for games for years...

That the majority of people who want the game have already bought it through kickstarter, yet there is more money being put into it by Sony for "assistance on the production and marketing end, and in Sony’s case with some publishing support as well" in anticipation of a non-kickstarter audience that may not actually exist.

Also pre-ordering is the dumbest thing you can do as a person who enjoys video games in 2015. Pre-ordering AAA games gets you Arkham Knight, Assassin's Creed: Unity and Halo: Master Chief Connection. Games that were unplayably broken on PC, hilariously unplayably broken on PC and had massive chunks of functionality missing on Xbone respectively. There are probably a dozen more high profile ones I can't remember off hand.

Memento fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 7, 2015

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Nintendo Kid posted:

And what's hilarious about that? Seriously like, it's just not funny at all. It's boring business poo poo.

It's almost like humour is relative. I find amusement in the possibility that Sony will pour millions of dollars into a game that might be incredibly niche and have a very limited audience, all of whom already paid for it, thus costing Sony a lot of money. I realise it's taking joy in the misfortune of others, and also that large projects like this on KS actually benefit small projects, but it still amuses me. If this scenario plays out, it also means there is effectively zero chance for a Shenmue III, but honestly the game sounds like boring crap anyway. Who gives a poo poo what someone has in the drawers in their house, I can look inside drawers all I want in the real world.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Nintendo Kid posted:

So you find accounting funny. That's nice for you.

I also don't see how there will be zero chance of a Shenmue III when they have the money and Sany behind them? Did you hit your head recently?

Sorry, I mean Shenmue IV. That is a definite error of judgement on my part that you would consider someone to have brain damage to have made, and not a typo. Indeed.

It's not accounting, it's megacorporations trying to leverage grassroots crowdfunding to do their loving jobs for them and getting bitten in the arse.

I don't know why I have attracted the ire of the almighty fishmech so I will withdraw from this line of questioning.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Nintendo Kid posted:

It seemed just as stupid as everything else you've typed on the subject on Shenmue III and I've already seen several chicken littles elsewhere online who believe "something something Sony's just going to keep all the money".

And what job is that? How is Sony getting "bitten on the rear end" by getting free money to cut down their own costs? You're really not making any sense at all. None of the people behind the kickstarter lose out at this stage of the game.. they might have if it flopped but it didn't because they hit their goal less than a week in.

Because you described arcane business accounting details as "hillarious", dude.

Sony is paying additional money into a game that has possibly taken in all of the money it's going to get via kickstarter. The money Sony is putting in is more than the money that has come in from kickstarter. No more money will come in from that game. Sony loses money. This amuses me, because I am amused by the misfortunes of others.

The job of corporations is to produce products and market those products. I guess using kickstarter to do that for them, for free, is a creative way of getting other people to do your job for you, but it doesn't make it any less cynical.

I never said I think Sony is going to keep all of the money. I said Sony is paying money to help make a game that may have already taken all of the money it's ever going to get, said money which has gone to Ys. So Sony paying for production, marketing and publishing is money it may simply lose, having incorrectly taken the sample of "people who backed Shenmue III on Kickstarter" as representative of the market population as a whole.

Memento fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 7, 2015

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's only "possibly" that if you know nothing of how things work. It's also still got 11 days to go so it's going to probably rack up more millions, especially with last day lollygaggers. Sony won't lose money.

So you said something factually wrong. Got it. There has already been more money for that game from the time you wrote that post, you silly little man, and your doomsday scenario of them putting it on steam sale for $5 also gets it a lot more money - I sure hope you understand by now that games don't cost $60 because that's what they actually cost to make!

And all of that KS money goes to Ys, which is what I said. I don't know where you're getting the idea of Sony taking the money from, because I never said that.

You've enlightened me on how things work, and I appreciate that, thank you.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Nintendo Kid posted:

The more money YS NET gets, the less money Sony pays. This is, to Sony, effectively the same as them (Sony) getting extra money.since they were already prepared to pay X amount and now need to pay X minus whatever the Kickstarter finalizes over the goal. Since the goal was 2 million and Sony was probably only expecting a successful kickstarter to raise a little over that to be worth it to them, we can assume something like $2.1 million is where Sony starts having to pay less money then originally budgeted after kickstarter fees on that amount, so they're up like $2.3 million minus kickstarter fees by now.

So how does that work with promised stretch goal features in this sort of arrangement? Would Sony have budgeted to support them regardless, or would they have a cost matrix for the things they want that has trigger points where (x) funding pushes them over the limit for (y) stretch goal, even though that's more money Sony needs to put in? Or would stretch stuff be budgeted strictly from KS funds?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Triticum Guzzler is the best poster on these forums.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Yodzilla posted:

Derek Smart has now fully embarked on a holy crusade to burn down the corrupt Star Citizen empire: http://www.reaxxion.com/10195/why-star-citizen-is-likely-going-to-be-a-complete-disaster

Also

There's not a :munch: big enough.

You'd be surprised.

Also, I don't know if anyone remembers the game Outward - The Adventurer Life Sim? They were asking for 150k, got about 55k with 11 days to go, and pulled the pin because it became clear they weren't going to get funded. Were quite gracious about it, thanked everyone for their support and moved on. Got an email today saying that the Canadian government had included them in an arts grant programme, to the tune of 950k. So it looks like that game will exist after all!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

elf help book posted:

I'd rather play a Shenmue 3 than just about any "modern AAA" game.

Yeah this isn't a particularly contentious statement in this thread. Apart from Witcher 3, I can't remember a "modern AAA" game that captured me in the last few years the way something like Sunless Sea has, and I'm still playing Terraria for fucks' sake.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
So Defect has made its funding goal with a few days to go. I'm happy about that because it looks like a cool game I'd like to play. Having said that, it seems like they basically had a single contribution of around $10k on the third-last day. Does that seem a bit suspect to anyone else? One on hand, they already have most of the mechanics in place and an actual working demo that I've had some fun with. On the other hand, if they're artificially inflating their results in order to get the money, does that mean they're not going to have enough to finish the project? Looking at the funding graph I have a hard time believing the sort of jump that occurred on the 19th would happen naturally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Hav posted:

A couple of them have done it when they get close, or they know a whale that can push them over. It's not really a bad thing. Now when your entire kickstarter is an American Football game that appears to be entirely funded by dodgy donations...(https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1997247042/gridiron-thunder-awesome-indie-football-game-for-o)

quote:

183 backers pledged $171,009 to help bring this project to life.

Lol, an average of over nine hundred dollars per backer, including 8 "people" who "paid" $10k each for a VIP Superbowl party, of which there is no record of it ever occurring. Plus, it's an Ouya game so they apparently got fund-matched from them. I wonder if this sort of thing had anything to do with Ouya going under...

edit: apparently one of the sock puppet accounts that "backed" it used the details of a missing person. What a bunch of pricks.

Memento fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 23, 2015