Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.
We should talk more about possible Kickstarter projects instead of arguing whether Kickstarter is a valid avenue to obtain funding and if the dev's will spend my $675 snorting cocaine off a dead hooker's rear end crack.

Personally, I would love to see a reboot of the D20 Buck Rogers franchise. A remake of Buck Rogers Countdown to Doomsday and Matrix Cubed would kick more rear end than Chris Avellone wearing a ballerina tutu, dual-wielding ripper knives.

If you haven't played it, you might find the ROM floating around for the Genesis/Mega Drive. Its one of these rare cases that the console port of a PC game is much better than the original game. Better sounds and music.

It wouldn't need to improve much, the mechanics were pretty solid. Playstation-era graphics would be good enough.

Escape Velocity Nova remade in modern graphics and tech would be very sweet too. Unfortunately, Ambrosia seems content to release lovely games for the mac instead of putting that IP to good use.

Legend of Mana would be cake too if Square would stop sucking Final Fantasy dick long enough to notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.
Backed. I found Supreme Commander good enough to be the sequel in spirit.

This has the possibility of being awesome as TA was an eye opener for me when I started playing RTSs.

When everybody was gushing STURRCRAFT!, I was shaking my head sadly. While a good game, SC is more about the tactics than the strategy.

Ah the memories of putting together a nigh impregnable wall of interlocking lasers, missiles and plasma batteries and watch them decimate hordes of mook kbots and tanks was beautiful. While having flocks of repair aircraft patrolling the base, keeping your base in good shape.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

Cicero posted:

I think it's more likely that people desperately want a return to quality JRPGs in the style of the SNES era, and they're willing to take some shots in the dark to make it happen.

man I want new FF6/CT/Lufia2/SMRPG/SoM games so baaaad

Aw man, don't give me hope. I have had my heart broken too many times. A decent Lufia sequel, closure on the Chrono series (Chrono Cross' ending left me unsatisfied), a Final Fantasy game that doesn't leave me believing that the designers are all suffering from autism, and a sequel to Legend of Mana.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

Shalinor posted:

The best Mana game in my mind is still the one that never saw US release. It was fantastic, and there's a perfect English ROM floating around.

... that said, there have been some awesome looking indie games in that vein lately. Secrets of Grindea, most notably.

EDIT: I could have sworn that one was on Kickstarter, but - apparently not, yet.

Seiken Densetsu 3 was very good. Legend of Mana is the one for the PSX. It has everything you could want in WoW but in a Single Player game. Crafting, Pets, Golem Building, a bitching soundtrack and reasonably good graphics. Its weak points are the somewhat disentangled plot with multiple arcs and crappy magic system.

And Secret of Evermore was one of my favorite games too. Jeremy Soule composed a beautiful OST. My only gripe with that game is that it has rather limited weapons. The alchemy system was quite nifty. It is not however the sequel for Legend of Mana, as it was released on 1995 and Legend of Mana was released on 2000.

Waitacottonfuckingpickingsecond! Tim Cain, in Obsidian...White, 29m, slim ready to make your dreams reality.

TerryLennox fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 14, 2012

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

After reading that Feargus interview where some dummy didn't clearly think about what they were asking Obsidian, this has given me a possible idea for publishers.

If they don't want to risk good money developing an IP they haven't touched in years, they can kickstart it.

Get a smaller team, preferably the people who worked on the previous games and have them develop the game. The kickstarter would basically be the equivalent of pre-orders of the game and since they are a publisher too, the distribution chain would be much simpler for them.

There are several IPs that could brought back. The Strike Series (owned by EA), The Flashback series (owned by Delphine software), Chrono series (owned by Squaresoft), the Mana series (owned and misused by Squaresoft), Streets of Rage (there is already a remake but Sega threw lawyers at them) and there are many more.

Some of these are pretty niche but that's where kickstarter would help. Accrue a solid amount of pledges to cover for dev costs and then when the game is released, every sale will be profits.

This would need commitment from the publisher not to pressure the dev to release the game with bugs and cut content.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

They do not create products nor have the people to do so. They have been coasting mostly on "their" stuff being sold on GOG.

They have pretended to be in the development of a Fallout MMO, which turned out to be obviously a lie since they don't employ anyone in serious capacity. Their last attempt at making a quick buck was a mockup of a 2D bunny platform game just before they lost the rights to Fallout and, recently, a huge Pay What You Want bundle on GOG. This "Black Isle" bullshit is their new scam attempt.

But let's talk about Kickstarter. Web comic Homestuck got millions to produce a videogame, so the creators of Girl Genius decided to do the same with some lovely puzzle platformer game for Android.

And they obviously got 800% over their goal. And the backers don't even get anything! It's beautiful. It would be a hilarious parody if it wasn't real.

Another way to phrase this would be that Herve Caen is like syphillis, gonorrhea and dengue fever. You cannot cure it or get rid of it, only control it.

Interplay went to the shitter the moment Titus bought Interplay. Let's see a short list of possibly cool games that they cancelled in favor of pushing out garbage to get their next fix: Fallout 3 (project Van Buren), Baldur's Gate 3 (project Jefferson), Torn, and some even say a possible sequel to Fallout Tactics.

I'll pay $10 but only if I get to punch Herve in his stupid face.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

Verdugo posted:

In November of 2012, way after the kickstarter ended in April, after supposedly being in development over six months, with no way for people who pledged expecting a top down game as pitched to make any changes to their pledges.

And I'm very glad they scrapped the top down view. Few games get that working correctly and looking nice. Hotline Miami being one of this few. Note, that I don't include Shadowrun for the Genesis. That game was VERY ugly.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

Zilkin posted:

So what's there left to resurrect now? Wasteland 2, P:E and Torment tap the old RPG nerds segment and DFA and few other games are filling the lack of adventure games void. I guess something like BG3 could be huge, but I'm not sure WotC is too keen on Kickstarter.

A few ideas.

The D20 Buck Rogers franchise has an interesting take on old timey space fiction. An RPG where you have FTL's space combat with JA2 tactical combat once you board an enemy spaceship or are down in a planet or space station. A man an dream. If this is not possible, a TDZK game with those mechanics plus all their shipbuilding and commerce aspects would do.

A Double Dragon/Streets of Rage remake. If you haven't already, try Bombergames' (fan made sequel) take on Streets of Rage. Then weep as you know companies just have those IPs, doing nothing with them.

A Phantasy Star reboot, starting the sage with the Earthmen's exodus and subsequent arrival to the Algo system. Proper RPG too, not a damned momorpuger.

I liked a VERY OBSCURE RTS called War INC where in addition of designing your vehicles and running a campaign, you could buy stocks in fictional military companies to acquire technology to incorporate in your designs. Kind of like Earth 2150.

If the Foglio brothers could be interested, an RPG about the Girl Genius universe would be a good take on steampunk.

Now in the kickstarter era, I always remember a crazy RTS/FPS game idea I had when I was in highschool. Basically, each round a Commander would be chosen and he would direct the production and logistics side of the battle. The units that were produced, etc. They would not intervene in combat directly except to direct things like support artillery, turrets and provide map info. The rest of the players for each team would be able to control different units directly and that they could use infantry or vehicles like in Unreal Tournament. They could control a bunch of units in a higher strategic view but could also assume control of a unit to direct them more precisely. In each battlefield, neutral towns could be visited by units under direct control so you could undertake "quests" to gain map data, or access to partisan units, etc.

The idea was that there were five different planets with civilizations that evolved technologically and biologically very different from one another. One faction was to use very quick units with abilities that allowed them hit and run, ambush and cripple strikes to be launched, their units weren't very strong but were the most maneuverable. Another faction was made of low tech cave men that supplemented their lack of technology with their incredible physique and the ability to use war animals, diseases and other crude but lethal weapons. Their planet was a hellhole that evolved them into Darwinist assholes. Another faction was the most technologically advanced with crazy laser/plasma/cryo weapons. Their units would feature shields and/or cloaking but would be very fragile. Their weapons would have crazy effects like using a laser to ricochet from several units. I never figured out the other two factions and only had some dumb ideas like a faction that could combine their vehicles, so you could strap a heavy helicopter onto a tank get a tankopter.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

Jedit posted:

"Foglio brothers". :allears:

I once saw a picture of Phil in a con next to a fan that looked remarkably like him. I just assumed Kaja was a nickname :downs:

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

Orzo posted:

Most people don't need Kickstarter. They use it to minimize risk. Just because you have $20 million doesn't mean you want to use $1 million on something that might not even sell.

This logic doesn't follow. His reason for using Kickstarter is no different than anyone else's.

It doesn't matter what Kickstarter's 'vision' is, what matters is how people actually use it.

No, why would I care? Who are they hurting?

I would contribute to an EA KS if said Kickstarter was a remake of the Strike series.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

Great Rumbler posted:

That's just sad. And Black Isle lives on in Obsidian and inXile, not in that hollow shell referred to as Interplay.

Please tell me that's not being done on behalf of that garbage chute Herve Caen. Are they still trying to release Fallout Online?

As Rumbler said, the best of Black Isle lives on in Obsidian, inXile and Blizzard (Boyarsky works there!).

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

Black Isle and Interplay are probably just Herve Caen and his savant brother, rubbing each other with dead rats.

Seeing the success that KS has shown, I am surprised to see a lack of industry reaction towards it. I know Feargus Urquhardt at Obsidian was offered a "sit on the shaft" deal with an unknown publisher which he declined.

My idea is more leaned towards a major holder of interesting IP choosing a small studio to develop either a new IP or an already existing one.

Sega basically had a golden chance to get their hands into this when they "Ceased-Desisted" the fanmade Streets of Rage remake. I've played the game and I feel its decent enough for $10. I know that due to IP laws it would a bit and a half to release this because obviously the game had input from many fans and while the IP belongs to Sega, the work put in by fans to port it to different platforms is original enough to present a challenge.

On the hand, had Sega offered some sort of deal to Bomber Studios, they could've had an easy platform for selling game remakes. Personally I wouldn't say no to a KS project like that, provided that the developing studio wasn't shafted by the deal. There are many franchises that could use some love.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

gently caress This Puzzle posted:

It's weird they didn't do this because Sonic CD on iOS was a fan made thing (by one guy to boot) that they picked up.

Someone in the thread said that publishers don't see reasonable numbers as a success. If they don't move 20 million copies, they get pissy. Considering Sega's track record, its because they are run by a team of mongoloids.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

Falcon2001 posted:

Flexible funding, so I'm passing until it passes but I am also interested in a Zelda-2ish style game, as I honestly liked Zelda 2.

You are a man's man. I tried playing Zelda 2 with an emulator. Even with save states, the game is incredibly hard.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

There's a certain spirit to the PSX RPG that isn't really around that much anymore.

Yes, I would say the turning point was the Playstation 2. On the Square-Enix side, their characters started to become utterly obnoxious and fanservice. While I don't expect character development worthy of a John Irving novel, their characters are so alien and unrelatable (if this isn't a word, it should be). They also abandoned their Chrono and Mana franchises for the most part. Namco, on the other hand, has released pretty decent games. I hadn't played anything from them since Tales of Destiny and going into Tales of the Abyss was very gratifying, the characters were decent enough even if the story was kind of weak. I never played anything aside from Lufia from Taito and now Square purchased them and will probably let those IPs sleep forever. I never got into the newcomers (for me) Atlus and Nippon Ichi, the persona series is ok but god is Disgaea grindy. Characters that can level up to lvl 9999, reincarnations...

My only hope is that Square gets tired of releasing Final Fantasy rehashes and momorpuger wannabes and farms out some decent teams to develop the Chrono, Mana and Lufia franchises. Even at non-AAA levels of funding, the games should turn out ok.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

It'll be interesting to see how some of the mechanics of the SNES game will translate to the modern remake project. Resting, random encounters. I've been regretting not shelling out the extra money for the editor.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

Rime posted:

FAIL ALERT

So, several months after changing the name of Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones to Empyrea (Because he didn't feel the original title "meshed with his new religion"! :airquote:), the author has simply up and quit working on the project entirely.

Considering he raised over $34,000 last year, hopefully this is a warning against throwing money at the more pie-in-the-sky ventures that have nothing except pretty pictures and ideas to show off when they launch a kickstarter. I fully expect the next casualty to be Moon Intern, it's been pretty well silent.

:chord:

It's a bit of a shame, I contributed $15 and did play the early alpha he had. As a "game", it wasn't working very well. What he had was the world generation part of Dwarf Fortress with nice enough graphics and it put all the creatures into a pseudo encyclopedia. I wasn't expecting Dwarf Fortress+1, rather a decent random world generator that I could use for fantasy themed PnP games.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

Orzo posted:

I know you're kinda joking, but...

Is it really standard for indie devs? Perhaps it's just this scenario happening over and over:

1) Oh whoops turns out game development is actually hard and requires a lot of sophisticated programming
2) My project failed so I'll release the source code
3) Since I'm a lovely programmer it turns out all of my code is in one file

Meanwhile, successful games who aren't releasing their source code might be just fine on average underneath the hood.

I haven't worked any programming languages more advanced than standard C and Pascal so I can't comment on his code. Probably uncommented and obscure. I could understand a programmer making an inhouse program obscure and undocumented as a sleazy way of securing his job somehow but outside of that particular scenario I just don't see the point of not putting comments in the code to help you easily to review it.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

This game better let me use all the species from the show Dino Saucers if they want my money.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

elf help book posted:

Yeah, that's what Chrono Cross needed: more Chrono Cross.

I can understand where he is coming from. The problem with killing off Crono, Lucca and Marle is that it feels cheapened on the way its presented. If they could have given it the proper pathos, it could have felt like a decent epilogue...they didn't live happily ever after.

Guile was the worst. He is an amnesiac Magus but his story never got anywhere. I could almost see the scene where Serge, Kid and Guile get the letter that Lucca gave to that scientist lady. Where Lucca explains to Kid that she almost expected someone from those terminated futures to come looking for her and her friends. When she spoke directly to Magus/Janus, it could have been a moment in which Guile recovers his memory.

The ending where you rescue Schala would have worked much better without the idiotic nonsense about sperm and eggs.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

Khagan posted:

If this class is the only class that can wield Great Swords its the closest thing we'll have to...

Which is :ironicat: given that the class name.

Now to save 250 bones for the Collector pledge

If its like TG Cid, they are probably called Ballast Knights because they make the rest of your characters feel like ballast. :downsrim:

TerryLennox fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 16, 2014

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

thelazyblank posted:

What have we done?! :psypop:

Everdraed, please tell me you are going to work in the next Resident Evil.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

Harebrained Schemes has also delivered a very decent game. Faithful to canon, amazing atmosphere, relatively bug free and fun to play.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

Hav posted:

Wasteland 2 is released. Patches are fixing bugs. I have this game.

Again, it's released. They're missing big portions of what it _should_ be, but they're basically mechnical. The most ire is currently being reserved for the 'offline mode' which was promised but not yet delivered. I have this game, too.

Edit: I'll qualify this by stating that I'm disappointed with PA, as it's concentrated on the gimmicks supplied by 'planetary', and biases things towards the late game 'annihilation' rather than a decent strategic game.

Well, technically they took some DLC and decided to polish it up as a game in it's own right, whereas the first release was the engine. I'll admit that it was shaky, but people went into that one expecting something different than they got. Again, Shadowrun has been released... Again, I have this game.

The qualifications there are because you appear to be using heresay rather than your own observations.

Yep, and he does seem to have the air of the Randy Pitchford about him.

I refuse to play Planetary Annihilation until they release a set of tutorial missions.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

Quarex posted:

Dead State is still fun if you have patience for slow-paced turn-based combat and wanted to like State of Decay but thought it was profoundly unnecessarily fond of throwing infinite zombies at you for lack of anything else to do.

For what it is worth, I did like State of Decay a lot, though Lifeline was my favorite thing about it because it actually gave you the resources to deal with the game's love of throwing endless things at you (yet apparently a lot of people thought it was a hard expansion? Go figure).

The point is, even though I like Dead State, I would almost certainly not recommend it to anyone outside of people who love zombie/post-apocalyptic themes, because while it is fun it is certainly not going to grab anyone's attention unless you go in hoping/expecting that it will.

This is a fair assessment of the game. My main beef with the game is that the game engine seems on par with Silent Storm, quality wise. The lack of some animations and pathing problems are very jarring. Why is it that zombie games have decent promise but underdeliver, Zomboid is also promising but kind of imbalancing and unfun to play at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

Quarex posted:

Ugh. I tried to love Project Zomboid, but I am not entirely sure I had any fun the entire time I was playing. I love all of the ideas behind the game, and I think it absolutely could be something special, but ... I have no idea. Something is just not working for me there. It may be as simple as the graphics perspective is off (and zombies are far more likely to be hidden in shadow than seems reasonable, or at least were when I played the demo) and the game is just super-hard when you first play it, but I really did not enjoy my time spent playing.

Wait, was Project Zomboid actually a Kickstarter at some point? I remember it has been in development for ages ... huh, does not look like it. Though this just reminded me of Zombie Playground, which I would have donated to if I had found out about it before the pledge drive ended. Is that actually going to come out?

The last backer update I received about ZPG was that they just recruited some dude that worked on the Dead Rising series but they still haven't entered beta AFAIK.

Zomboid has promise, but as you said...its not very fun yet. Believe or not, some assholes at the forums are whining that the game is too easy. This game is already close to impossible and these fuckers want the game even harder.