Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The Your World guy is streaming again, he said that he won't reset the game when it goes out of beta. In a hypothetical world where this game actually gets published, you'd have a broken economy thanks to people finding exploits in beta.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/your-world-mmorpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Role Play McMurphy posted:

He calls video games "vidcons" in his bio. ...is that a Shut Up and Jam Gaiden reference?

Considering that it was Chef Boyardee who first recommended it to the thread and said it was by a friend of his, I'd say it's more of a reference to the community that spawned it.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

fondue posted:

I threw in some, good luck to them!

When do we get a kickstart of M.U.L.E.? Oh wait, the original author is dead. :(

There's already Planet M.U.L.E..

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joylabs/makey-makey-an-invention-kit-for-everyone?ref=discover_pop
You can play games with your food, cat, anything. You clip on objects to act as the input. It is fully funded.

A premade ready-to-use modular input system is a great way to introduce people to Arduino; let them play with a finished project instead of starting from scratch.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Tippis posted:

Exactly. My threshold for throwing money at this kind of idea is very low, being both fond of documentaries and of the old Sierra, but with the amount of effort that went into that presentation (viz. none), you know that 39 of those 40k are already billed as “beer money”.

Interesting. Definitely seems worth checking out. Still, if someone with a bit more sense than whomever is behind that KS project could pick up the idea and make it credible, the history of Sierra, from Softcore Adventure to (say) Half-Life could be spectacularly fun to watch.

Beer Money... That's brilliant, someone could use the idea of a documentary on local microbreweries as a cover for a Fund My Life Kickstarter. Can't bill drinks as reference material for a video game documentary.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

phr00t is like Ulillillia's evil twin, terrible in all the ways Uli is inspiring.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Sounds like a retelling of the famous Chinese epic but with the group's leader as a woman.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Part of the game's charm was being able to overpower everything after getting a few upgrades from talking to characters and finding hidden items.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I keep telling myself no more Kickstarter games until the job I was promised actually starts. Hopefully this is the last one.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

It's up! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/talesofgames/barkley-2-an-rpg-sequel-to-barkley-shut-up-and-jam

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Didn't Sohmer take the money from his LICD animated series kickstarter and use it to buy something stupid or was that just a rumor? Either way, giving him money is a horrible idea.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The Octopus City Blues Kickstarter went live. I've been watching the updates for the past few months but it looks even better with all the tentacles and stuff moving around.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

BrunchTime833 posted:

We're crazy passionate about what we're doing. Hit me with any questions you might have.
I've got a couple questions, first:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2110528317/dark-skyes-an-epic-brony-dating-sim/posts/770983

quote:

Seems like there is a bit of confusion about this. The voiceovers used in the pitch video are webcam auditions, and the quality is really poor. But, not to worry!

The final audio for the game was and is being recorded in a $5000 Studiobricks recording booth on a Rode K2 microphone, connected to all kinds of expensive pre-amps and flip-flops and gizmos that I don't know the name of. It sounds awesome.

We are perfectionists folks. You don't have to worry about any aspect of this game being anything less than triple-A quality :)

How is this going to work, are they all local "talent" or were they found on the internet? Who pays for their travel expenses if they aren't local?

Second, have you made a Greenlight page yet? You can use it to advertise for the Kickstarter while getting an early start on Greenlight approval.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The terrible Star Trek MMO is good for space dinos. And space disco.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The Buck & Miles Kickstarter launched a few days ago. It looks like it'll be a fun platformer, reminds me of Adventure Island and the Mario Land games.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I remember the original Siboot. The interactions were kind of neat but the actual nighttime combat left me confused. It's kind of like a free-for-all version of those mafia games in the Traditional Games subforum.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Chalks posted:

People are propping up Derek Smart because it's hilarious and lets face it - he's an expert in the field of space sim failures.

The hero Star Citizen deserves.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

What did they even do with all that money?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mr Underhill posted:

Say what you want, but Adolph Christ is one head turnin' tilte. It's a book/storyboard about a video game. God bless.

Will players be able to reach out and touch their personal Hitler?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The Kins posted:

In Kickstarter Drama news, Allison Road is back in development after it was cancelled following a falling out with the publisher. I suspect that this is not the end of this story.

gently caress them for cluttering up the search results for a good song.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Sivek posted:

Estimated delivery Dec 2013

Three years of glorious scope creep

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

khwarezm posted:

I've never seen anything like this first person turn-based RPG combat before in my life. Is there anything close to this that already exists?

:whitewater:

Earthbound, Shin Megami Tensei, Dragon Quest, Etrian Odyssey

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

There probably haven't been any true FPS style games with in-world turn based combat already (that I know of) because if you're doing that you might as well just go full ARPG or FPS with RPG elements. Paper Sorcerer comes close but the battles still take place on a separate screen.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'm not touching PoE2's crowdfunding because of "lol Fig" reasons, but I assume a lot of it is because of various burnout reasons like waning interest in crowdfunding, not really caring for BG style gameplay or having been burned enough to start practicing the "never preorder, wait for a sale" method of game buying.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Megazver posted:

Old stretch goals:

New stretch goals:

kekekekekekek-

I can't wait for all these one joke characters to be given epic backstories.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I just kicked in for Scorn

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1777595379/scorn-part-1-of-2-dasein

After seeing some concept art and a flythrough trailer on Tumblr; just the right mix of Giger and Beksinski to pique my interest.

Hopefully the gameplay will match up :o:

Is this Darkseed 3? (I'd actually be down for a Darkseed 3 if it was well done)

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

All they really had to do was make proper keyboard & mouse control and update the graphics. Easy money and they pissed it away.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Dungeons and Doggies! Adorable dog buddy figurines for use in DnD games!

The funding goal of $19,621 (15,000 EUR) is pretty modest for a large-scale kickstarter, but they only have the one 35 dollar tier for rewards, so I hope they meet it!

...What's that?

They already did meet it, in like 20 minutes?

By how much?

GOOD GRAVY

If I had money I'd roll up a wizard with a dog familiar and back this.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

This looks like Warframe's Lunaro PvP mode.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

lunaro owns

That it does but no one ever plays.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

RizieN posted:

Jesus Christ I should've made a dating sim or a board game...

Why not a dating board game?
:dudsmile:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh jesus

"If Starflight didn't exist, Gearbox would not exist. That means Borderlands would not exist." - Randy Pitchford
"One of the greatest videogames ever made" - the author of Ready Player One
"The Star Wars of science fiction games" - Orson Scott Card

I... do not trust these people to have good taste, no thanks, I don't feel comfortable backing a team that wants those names even slightly attached to their game.

I thought the internet would have been done with Card by now. Guess no one reads his books beyond Ender's Game or even looks beyond it's cool combat simulations stuff.

Megazver posted:

It's not 'their other game'. Cobbett, the guy developing Nighthawks, was a hired writer on SS and TLJH, writing some content (a bunch of ports) for the former. TBH, I'd suggest reading a Let's Play of SS instead of playing it, its gameplay is... an acquired taste. Which, thankfully, Nighthawks seems to avoid.

And if you want to check out what Dave Gilbert's, the producer/publisher's sensibility is, you should play Unavowed right now, it's amazing.

Counterpoint: play the slow boat game, wear your victory over the grind as a badge of honor. As for other games similar to Sunless Sea, A House of Many Doors is really good as well and had the backing and recommendation of the SS publishers. It moves a bit faster but unfortunately balances that out by having a lot more space between actual locations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Stardock was selling UQM on Steam for a bit but it looks like it was yanked.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I get the names confused all the time despite having played a good bit of both.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Don Gato posted:

It didn't poison the setting but it felt like such a waste. The game doesn't really do anything with the setting to justify it over a generic fantasy setting, and Eberron is deliberately designed to be "normal DnD tropes on their head" so it was kind of disappointing to me.

I would literally poo poo bricks if we ever got a modern Spelljammer game though, I need my space hippo wielding a space blunderbuss.

DDO's a good intro to the Eberron setting but I agree it doesn't live up to its full potential. Then they released two FR expansions (though Shadowfell Conspiracy is really good) and a Ravenloft one instead of expanding on the setting. Though what they should really do is double down on adapting classic modules like they did with Temple of Elemental Evil and Haunted Halls of Eveningstar.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Wow ok. RIP possibly?

Definitely. At least don't expect them to take risks anymore.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Getting a vague Normality vibe from it.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

orcane posted:

Buying exclusives is not "competing" they're just trying to build their own monopoly.

I totally understand it from the perspective of indie and smaller developers - every dollar counts and Epic/Tencent have to be showering everyone with money right now (which might not last forever).

I hope Apex Legends kills Fortnite so their cash supply dries up. At least GOG gives you the freedom to install games traditionally and ignore their terrible launcher.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Looks better than Revolution 60. I'm surprised Lowtax didn't die from a brain aneurysm when he played that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

oh yeah microsoft owns obsidian, inxile and now double fine, kinda insane

Weren't they the major Fig companies? (still laughing at Fig trying to be a thing)