Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

As much as I like developers finding alternative means of funding I can't bring myself to donate to these projects. Even the best developer can turn out a bad game and there's always a possibility that the developer just haven't budgeted correctly and the game doesn't get made. In these cases I'd rather be a consumer than an investor. I want something concrete before I put my money down.

I do wish the best for these projects and have my fingers crossed that Wasteland 2 and whatever Double Fine makes will be great, I just wanted to put another perspective out there on funding through Kickstarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hondo82 posted:

I like the idea of Kickstarter and all the big name games/campaigns that have popped up, but I have yet to put down money for any of them yet as I have a hard time putting down money for something that doesn't exist yet (I rarely preorder games as well), but I dont begrudge the effort one bit; I think it's great. I hope they all succeed. None of these games have tickled my nostalgia yet, though I'm considering Wasteland 2 just because I enjoyed fallout 2 so much and hope it'd be similar. If there was one for a Lords of the Realm 4 similar to 2 I'd be popping down $100 on that!

I don't get the anger either. I'd think that comes later if one of the big projects fails or produces a poo poo game. However, if the big ones like Double Fine Adventure or Wasteland 2 turn out well, it'd be more fuel for the fire of the little renaissance in pc gaming that's going on due to digital distribution and small/indie developers.

I can see myself and many others buying the games on Steam once the finished product is done. I'd bet once these games come out on steam we'd easily see them pop up to the top 10 in steam sales.

I'm in the exact same boat. I'm interested in seeing how this massive wave of Kickstarter funded development turns out but I don't want to put my money in because of how rocky and unpredictable game development can be. I hope that the games turn out well and I can understand people wanting to pay up front; it's just not what I want to do with my money.

The hostility toward the model is a bit strange. Kickstarter, irregardless of how it presents itself as something special, is essentially an investment scheme. People are putting money in up front for a project with the intention of getting a return on that investment in the form of rewards or (in the case of these gaming ones) at least a copy of the game. It's a model that's been around since the dawn of civilization that happens to have been made more efficient by the Internet and the ability to reach out to thousands of investors for a much smaller investment than normal (almost like stocks in a sense).

There's a risk to it but it's not hidden. I am a bit concerned that there is some "Kickstarter mania" going around at the moment while the enthusiasm is fresh but that's not something worth getting angry over. And even those people who are enthusiastic supporters of the Kickstarter model haven't been obnoxious about pushing it outside of one or two exceptions.

So there's at least two of us who don't want to pay up front, are interested in how well the Kickstarter funding model does in the long term, and don't get angry over it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

mutata posted:

I guess what I'm saying is, personally I can't really imagine trying to make sense of this thing from an "investing" perspective or even a "pre-order" perspective.

You're putting money into something to fund its production. The word for that is "investing". It's that simple.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

mutata posted:

I guess that's how you, personally see it!

Well, me and the English language.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

I don't think the government keeps a 30 year old virgin database but I could be wrong

They do. They keep it at somethingawful.com. :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The best part of Steam is that you can look to see who owns that game and then avoid them.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

HondaCivet posted:

Do you have some specific reason to think this? I just can't really see how two games having completely different stringed instruments in their names which don't sound alike at all would be a problem. Unless Microsoft trademarked all usage of musical instruments in video game titles?

Let's pretend for a moment that you decide to make a new soft drink/gamer fuel. You want to cash in on the popularity of an existing product so you call it "Mountain Due" and you design a green and red logo with a similar font to that original product. You will get slapped with a trademark infringement suit because there's a reasonable chance of confusion between the brands. You could avoid this by shifting the name a bit further and making sure your label isn't too close to that other gamer fuel.

So that said, Yooka-Laylee doesn't seem like it's even approaching the boundary of trademark infringement. There's similarities, obviously, but the chance of someone confusing the kickstarter game with Microsoft's... well, I guess it's not a series for them so let's call it "intellectual property". Anyway, there's effectively no chance of confusion. That doesn't mean that Microsoft can't take action, of course, but they're going to have a tough hill to climb convincing a jury that reasonable people could might mistake one for the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skyscraper posted:

Could a boardgame expert tell me how this looks mechanically? I mean, I want to fund it because it's such a bad idea, but how bad will the game be?

Looking at it, I'm dubious. It's not what I'd want thematically from a Deadly Premonition game, but we can set that aside for the moment. It looks like a lot of the mechanics are a simple back-and-forth, take-that response. I'm really not clear why they have a hidden identity mechanic other than those are popular lately. With only two to four players, using it just as an early victory mechanic for guessing that the other player is the killer feels pointless. Also it appears that the game is extremely random with little in the way of strategic options.

Getting back to the thematic aspect of things, I know that what I'd want in a Deadly Premonition board game would be deduction: there doesn't seem to actually be a mystery to solve in the game, the suspects appear to act more as points where you're trying to get all of the ones dealt to you eliminated. And I'd want the investigation to get sidetracked with silly minutia where players have to deal with something else before they can get a clue. And those quirky sidewise bits don't seem to be reflected in the board game either (I'm sure there will be cards that reference things but not actual gameplay aspects).