Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

fishmech posted:

Yeah the Arkh project person is as big a scamlord as the Confederate Express people. Except they haven't (yet) also squatted an AirBNB.

I'm sorry, I think you'll find that it was NOT as scam:

quote:

Four years ago, I won internet infamy through The Other Project, as I’ll call it. I don’t want to talk about it much, it still incites panic attacks in me to this day. I’m still being called all kinds of poo poo even though I produced exactly what I said I was going to. There are people around who believed that I actually planned to make a 3D RPG for $3900, despite clearly saying that it was for CONCEPT art, of which I produced much, much more than was requested, in an itemized fashion even.

see, now they uh, need money for art...

quote:

To make a prototype, we need art and design help. Though my partner and I have some art and design knowledge, we’re best at programming and writing. Some things can be programmed without too much front end work, but others really need a lot of testing, and we’re going to overwrite a lot of what we’ve done when we know what it will finally look like. (We’re still going to do it, because we have no choice, but having money for an artist would be awesome right now.)

oh i see where this is going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Celluloid Sam posted:

I'm not sure I've heard this term before by feelies do you mean things like code wheels and the like?

Feelies differed from game to game and were of the same theme as the game they came packaged with. For example, Wishbringer, a fantasy game with magic, came with a "Magick glowing stone." These extra objects and documents sometimes served as a form of copy protection, as several games were impossible to solve without information found in their feelies.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

A game that looks like this making fun of anime fans is the greatest thing.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Fuzz posted:

On the topic of cool projects that look crazy, there's also Kologeon, a weirdass third person... combat... thing...

Mainly has a crazyass artstyle and animations:

:stare:

EDIT: Oh yeah and the music is rad as gently caress. Go back that poo poo so we can get it. 60 hours to go!

Somehow this is very pretty and a visual disaster at the same time.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Wamdoodle posted:

Has "release what we have, the sales will fund the rest of the game" strategy worked for anyone else?

Does Broken Age count?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

swamp waste posted:

How do you feel about this as a more explanatory trailer for Lonely Star?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_E3oPgZ3Co

It's still a work in progress; i think the Movie Maker titles maybe look kind of cheap, and if I were gonna take another run at Kickstarter I'd consider adding a "hey guys this is me talking in a jargony way about what you're looking at here" voiceover section. But for now, to anyone who found the first trailer sloppy or bewildering, you think this is on the right track?

I'm baffled as to how you have the most generically generic thing you can say without meaning anything about an open world survival sandbox - "use STEALTH and TACTICS" - and something incredibly specific and interesting - "make magic from corn".

That's my super nitpicky opinion on your video game trailer, internet man.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Jupiter Hell, the sequel/successor to DoomRL is up. Haven't watched the trailer yet but I trust it's better than the one we saw earlier.

sorry Jupiter Hell guy, I like DoomRL but that trailer is so loving awful.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Catalina posted:

I searched through the forums, but I haven't seen this mentioned, so I thought I'd point it out:

Kynseed- "Made by a couple of ex-Lionhead Fable devs, Kynseed is a quirky 2D sandbox RPG. It's an adventure of a lifetime - literally. " Looks like it's a hybrid Harvest Moon / Rune Factory / Recettear where you run a multigenerational family that can make their money through farming, adventuring, or business owning, and when your main character dies, they pass on what they've earned to the next generation. It's 100% funded and has 7 days to go, and costs £7 (apx $9 USD) a copy. There's an alpha available to try, and while the graphics and animations are very...basic, for $9 I think I'm gonna give this one a go, since it's inexpensive and I really like the concept.

quote:

If you’ve played Stardew Valley and wished that poo played a bigger part in life down on the farm, Kynseed [itch.io page] might just have you covered.
hahahaha no

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Mr Underhill posted:

Russians hitting it out of the park lately.

But on that note, what the gently caress is happening to Ash of Gods, how can it not make heaps and heaps of money?! Goddamnit Kickstarter is such a travesty sometimes, I swear to god. I was checking out the page today with a friend and we were shaking our heads in disbelief. Is there some kind of Banner Saga-like fatigue or what is going on there? Those guys did their homework, the project is amazing, it should be funded already. Goddamnit, Kickstarter!

quote:

A turn-based RPG featuring a Rogue-like storytelling

Hmm, I wonder.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Zaphiel posted:

Uuuuuuuuuuughhhhh..........someone talk me out of this! Someone show me the warning signs!

it is a multiplayer focused game

quote:

Most of the features in the game are built around multiplayer
asking for $51k.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Yeah the interviews mention them but the campaign doesn't. They also promised the fortress town but it became a stretch goal for the campaign, so I'm thinking that army battles might have gone that way as well. They're being a bit opaque.

I think it's pretty obvious that they set the stretch goals at funding amounts they expected to hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
A failed kickstarter from back in 2017 manaed to come out anyway. I was really looking forward to it then, so I'm hoping it's good/does well.

https://twitter.com/GoNintendoTweet/status/1295755160237608960?s=19