Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
It's on the not very good indiegogo instead of kickstarter, but I'm most excited about Craftstudio. Which, instead of a game, is a game development tool based upon Minecraft. I am not sure as to whether it will pan out, but the idea of being able to make stand-alone voxel-based games is pretty awesome. I've fooled around with an early alpha a little bit and it only allows you to basically make models and maps without any interaction like creative mode (also collaborate online with other folks) and managed to make some (I think) neat stuff pretty quickly:

Will it become vaporware? Possibly, but I'm still excited by the prospect of it being real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I've always thought of Al Lowe as the unfunny Tim Schafer.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
It looks like it was designed by someone from the PRON HAUL thread from Helldump/LF (rip, rip) but I think it's actually designed by an insane Ron Paul fanatic who runs a website for Ron Paul merchandise as a side buisness.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

emoticon posted:

Kickstarter: you think of things then you hire people to make it a reality.

I've heard the "sure I don't know anything about making a game but I'm going to hire people who do" line so often but how would you even know who to hire? There are plenty of hack artists and programmers and designers who will do nothing but drain your budget and then ask for more money. How would you be able tell the difference, especially if you don't know anything about managing a product development cycle? Do you have to hire a HR recruiter first?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Saoshyant posted:

I edited it out because I wasn't being clear that the issue is: on a limited budget, you are buying more than one of those things? Certainly not as bad lawyers, PAX East, third party to handle the rewards, but that stuff adds up.

$1000 in iPads is what, 2 iPads? It doesn't seem too much to me to have 2 company ipads. However, the biggest thing to me is the $10,000 in prize fulfillment. I see a lot of kickstarters that look like they are setting themselves up to spend just as much as they earned in t-shirts, posters, vanity press books, etc. Doublefine will probably spend hundreds of thousands of dollars alone sending out their stuff.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Two player production's cut was $393,964. This leaves them with $2,232,465. A far cry from their initial amount, but hopefully enough to make an awesome 2D adventure game with.

Considering that they were originally planning to make the game in, like, AGS, 2 million should make something nice. Although who knows if they're going to gear up and make their own set of design tools to make a 2D adventure game now to give the engine guys something to do, and to be ready to make more such games in the future.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Aurubin posted:

Is there any data on return investment, at least insofar as a game making a profit? I ask because I'm curious to see if the wave of nostalgic startups-Double Fine, Wasteland, Shadowrun, etc. constitutes the people who would of bought the game in the first place. Should these games be objectively good, I wonder if word of mouth will be enough to return a profit on them. Not that the companies are at any financial risk, it'd just be disappointing to see such relatively heartwarming stories fall flat in the end.

As far as Doublefine goes, when Psychonauts first launched it sold about as many copies as there are backers, was considered a huge disappointment, and nearly sunk Majesco. Now it has sold four times that many copies because of stuff like Steam. 87 thousand backers is seems like a lot, but isn't really for the industry.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Amazon payments are far more popular than things like Dwolla or setting up your own credit card system. A lot of people are less apprehensive about paying for things online when it goes through a trusted source.

On top of that, 5% is only slightly higher than interchange fees these days anyway, so I'm sure they're willing to sacrifice $500 per $10,000 in order to not have to deal with all that mess.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

The MSJ posted:

Not a game, but game-related. Wayside Creations who made the Fallout fan film and online series Fallout: Nuka Break

How much do I have to donate to keep this from happening?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Rebel Blob posted:

To add to the ranks of quality kickstarters, how about Left to Rot New RPG & FPS GENRE!!!! Hey, that's what the title is. :colbert:

Make sure to watch the video to see the game in action. If you read the description you will notice that it doesn't show any of the features talked about. Reassuringly the first thing mentioned when talking about what they need funding for is attending E3. As to plot, I couldn't put it better than the man does himself.

After all, you are a scientist.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Sensible posted:

Honestly, this seems like the most sensible use of Kickstarter to me: "I have a product, it's ready to go, I just need some startup capital for manufacturing costs". If all you have is an idea - and you're not Tim Schafer or someone with else with a proven track record - get that poo poo developed on your own dime.

I mean, aren't most of the successful kickstarters either one of those two situations anyway? Either "we have this game mostly developed we just need money for more content" like FTL or "I'm the guy who made Shadowrun, can I have a million or so dollars for a single player Shadowrun game?"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Not to mention their pitch seems like lies and buzzwords designed to do nothing but rake in money.

quote:

Mythic is and action/strategy based RPG brought to you by the same team that left Activision / Blizzard in search of something better! MYTHIC is an open world concept that will allow you to choose where you want to go even if it does not coincide with the story line and current missions list (hey, sometimes we just like to explore to level up right?!). The gameplay characteristics will be similar to that of World of Warcraft and the graphics quality should be up there with Skyrim. Game will be release on PC first and then ported to Mac. Depending on funding amount reached we will aiming to get a multiplayer version online by Summer 2013. Game engine is custom but built based off of Unity3D and animations will be done via motion capture thanks to some friends at Disney/Pixar!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Yodzilla posted:

"The same team that left Activision / Blizzard in search of something better"? What the hell does that mean? Same team as what?

From the same team that got fired from a Blizzard call center for drinking on the job with help from my friend's uncle who used to work with a guy who now does night security at Pixar.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

NINbuntu 64 posted:

I wonder what his job at this "elite publisher" was :allears:

Janitor...'s Assistant.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Der Shovel posted:

Yeah, dude: I'm bummed the dude doesn't get the 55 000 dollars. I'm sure he could've used it.

Also, remember that Leisure Suit Larry charity drive that one guy was doing? Where he played the first 7 Larry games while accepting donations for charity? The one the Larry remake guys advertised? It just got shut down for a "DMCA violation". Way to go, Twitch.tv.

Well, aren't the Larry remake guys only licencing the IP? It wouldn't surprise me if Activision shut down the stream.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

octoroon posted:

Thanks for the offer, I'm going to give it some serious thought. If I were to do something like this, I would want to do it right to minimize the possibility of trashing legitimate products.

Kickstarter needs a Helldump.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

emoticon posted:

This is a great article that makes me wonder how many of the kickstarters people have backed will fail a year out. The success rate can't possibly be 100%, especially with the number of high profile kickstarters these past two months.

I think theres also a mentality of "we raised 80,000, we can all quit our jobs and work on the game now!" which leads to not having any money to invest in the game when that money comes up short in actual development.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I wonder if I can catch simulated hepatitis when a simulated one-armed carny spits into the simulated corndog batter.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Saoshyant posted:

There's a reason for that. Not only is it in indiegogo which nobody knows about and the media offers no coverage of, but "This campaign will receive all of the funds contributed" is the biggest POS and obstacle indiegogo is suffering from one day becoming a proper alternative to kickstarter.

As it stands, indiegogo seems like a much more expensive paypal.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Yodzilla posted:

Ah yes 1 million uses, a conservative estimate.

Conservatively, %0.01 of the planet will be playing my game that nobody's ever heard of from me, a person nobody's ever heard of who has never made a game before.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

GruntyThrst posted:

I also like the whole "MMO from nothing to public beta in 8 months." Good luck with that, Millionaire Eggman.

With the help of the Chaos Emeralds, anything is possible.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Saoshyant posted:

"Oh, hi, didn't see you there."

At least it's better than.

"Hello, I've been watching you. I've always been watching you."

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Servant posted:

There's a difference between an item not being as cool as the idea suggests...and an item not actually existing in the first place. The former is an acceptable risk, but the latter is just terrible and worthy of shame. You (the Kickstarter OPer) made a promise with that reward, and you could choose not to offer that specific reward on the Kickstarter, yet now that you did so, and now that you received money from individuals who donated to receive that reward, you really should fulfill that promise. Why offer "rewards" in the first place if you can't deliver upon them and you are unsure the product will actually be created?

There's a reason why scams are illegal. (EDIT: Though, I don't view Kickstarters as altruistic attempts to produce ideas, but merely an attempt to raise funds, with one way to raise fund being the offering of 'rewards' that may or may not be produced. The honor system of Kickstarter is a significant weakness of the system though, because there is little to no accountability once the money is dispersed.)

It's an honor system but if you use a little common sense you can still feel safe donating to certain products but also grade the amount you give. For instance, the guys at Doublefine are all very smart and I trust them to produce content I'll enjoy as well as decent rewards, so I gave them. Brian Fargo seems legit but I'm not sure about the guys at InExile so I gave them less. The Kinetic Void guys produced a really fun proof of concept and I've been following their progress so I jumped on their bandwagon as well. The Shadowrun guys I know nothing about except that I really like the idea of a Shadowrun game and I'm sure they can produce something, so I just jumped on the minimum tier to receive the game. But if you're an indie team who has never made a game and only has some concept art to post, I'm just going to wait until the game comes out.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I'm not on board with Sierra adventure games at all, but wasn't the second Gabriel Knight a terrible FMV game and the third one widely regarded as one of the worst adventure games of all time? One for three is not a great average.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

njark posted:

the pitch video is pretty terrible but god drat if i don't love me some carmageddon.

By making a funny video and being wildly successful Tim Schafer set a terrible precedent and now every game developer thinks they can be funny.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

macnbc posted:

I've never heard of that one. What's that?

Touchscreen Bluetooth-enabled watch and future hilarious vaporware drama explosion.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Megazver posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1675907842/pathfinder-online-technology-demo

There are so many things that are wrong with this.

It's really frustrating that this game managed to make 60,000 in a day while Kinetic Void is going to have to struggle to make that in a month.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

SerCypher posted:

Double Fine released a new episode of their documentary, and it is really good. I'm starting to think the documentary alone was worth my money.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/66710809/double-fine-adventure/posts/223930

A huge amount of info about the game already coming out of this video. It seems like if you want to know NOTHING about the game then you should not watch the documentary. Also Glengarry Glen Reaper is a hilarious name.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Cidrick posted:

Countdown to Phantasmagoria fans coming out of the woodwork to troll me

There can't really be Phantasmagoria fans, can there?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

jammu posted:

We've lost tentacle-rape. I repeat: We have lost the tentacle-rape simulator!

original project site:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1189988320/tentacle-bento-by-soda-pop-miniatures

And waaaah-news about it being too tentacle rapey:
http://kotaku.com/tentacle-bento/

and the new fundraiser site:
http://girls.sodapopminiatures.com/content/fund-tentacle-bento

The Game itself look too simple for more than couple of games, but the cancellation was pretty crappy thing to do.

I'm perfectly okay about them cancelling a game about raping underaged girls.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Is there a whole subgenre of anime where tentacle monsters kidnap high school girls to hang out with them or is this "it has nothing to do with rape per se" thing a smokescreen?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Scalding Coffee posted:

If this happens a few more times, the atmosphere will become toxic. Silence only works for the media and politicians.

Except it isn't a mystery why the game was removed. It was a game "about" monsters raping children (and I'm not buying the word weaseling about how it's satire or not actually about rape, its inspiration is immediately clear). This is like eBay shutting down an auction for a human soul. It may not specifically be against their terms of service but it's not something they want to see themselves associated with, and they reserve the right to pull anything. Since Kickstarter doesn't retain any rights to the company's IP, I don't really see how this is a censorship issue.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

FoneBone posted:

Hardcore antigay right-winger.

Suddenly hiring a Christian rocker (albeit a pretty awesome one) to do the game's soundtrack makes sense.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

macnbc posted:

Sometimes I seriously wonder if the dude is a misogynist.

Sometimes I seriously wonder if water is wet. Everything about the Penny Arcade guys and Mike in particular is terrible.

edit: I'm not even going to start with the discussion about how I feel about Child's Play vvvv

Al! fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 16, 2012

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

jammu posted:

Ok I'll bite. What do you think is wrong with Child's play?

I said I'm not going to have this discussion right here and neither should anyone else. Suffice it to say I don't believe that their involvement with it doesn't absolve them of their wicked lovely stance on rape.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

NINbuntu 64 posted:

So you went out of your way to say you had a problem with something and refuse to elaborate on this even though you were the person to bring it up in the first place. :thumbsup:

You're the one brought up their charity as if it somehow compensated for them being lovely people.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Al Baron posted:

So the Kingdom of Loathing guys have a kickstarter going.

Looks cool for the Bookworm Adventure set.

gently caress yes I love these guys. They're really good at what they do although I'm really a bigger fan of their podcast than anything else.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Word Realms, mentioned yesterday has I think the steepest falloff I've ever seen. The last two days it made 30k, today it barely made 2.5k.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Urdnot Fire posted:

A smarter thing would be to make a Tex Avery thread. It did wonders for Wasteland 2, though you'll have to make yourself into an insane fan like Quarex.

Still, I expect it to be funded in a week or so.

Boy I wish there was a Kickstarter to raise Tex Avery from the dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
We finally managed to bug RPS into mentioning Kinetic Void (I'd like to think it was my comment that pushed him over the edge)http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05/19/kickstarter-katchup/ with a writeup promised on Monday. Hopefully this will finally be the push the kickstarter so desperately needs at this point.