Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Servant
Aug 3, 2010

... so you see, following that the will of the People cannot be reasonably interpreted down to the individual level, a legitimate government should operate purely through coin-flips...

al-azad posted:

What I meant to say was "I've never seen a scam project succeed on Kickstarter."

thepopstalinist posted:

Consider that, in the realm of music, this dude essentially bilked 205 people out of +$25k (he eventually farted out a scrapbook and a bad live recording way over schedule, IIRC) and nothing really happened. The dude got his all-expenses paid trip to Africa, and he's still making music with a very high-profile band.

I mean at what threshold does fraud go from being insignificant to something that the invisible hand of the free market cannot possibly allow? Because $25,000 is a lot of money.

Granted, it seems unlikely that any of these people are actually con artists but it stands to reason that at some point along the line there might be a hitch or a hardware failure or something that will cause a delay and scuttle the best laid plans of the developer. So it's less a danger of people taking the money and running and more a danger of people not delivering exactly what they promise when they promise to do so. The question is then whether fan investors will be more lenient than publishers have historically been.
So it's possible, and if more people are tempted to engage in scams/"forget" to deliver on their products, then the more likely it is for at least a few of them to succeed. I think you have to be established first though; you need to build credibility before you can bilk people out of money. Run-by kickstarters won't have a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servant
Aug 3, 2010

... so you see, following that the will of the People cannot be reasonably interpreted down to the individual level, a legitimate government should operate purely through coin-flips...

LumberingTroll posted:

They have an interesting pledge tier that we as a community could take advantage of, if we get 50 people, which pitch in $50 each, we can all get alpha access and lifetime subscriptions... I am very interested in this, and would be willing to organize it if there is interest.

I've set up a google dock to start organizing. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmC3HKYxUU_fdHhhNWxFVGd1VHpmWW9LcllObFhTb3c

if we get enough participants we will make the pledge, otherwise, no one has to send cash.

I'm interested in contributing, but I will not make a pledge until I secure the necessary cash. I'm also very concerned about a Kickstarter project failing, considering that there is no "refund" process within the system.

I do know of a project that would probably want this middleware system though and I really am interested in these sorts of automated GMing systems. Then again, my interest has caused me to see two similar projects that collapsed horribly...which, again, makes me very concerned about this Kickstarter project failing horribly as well. The worst part is, one of those projects (StoryTron, made by Chris Crawford) actually managed to release a playable version...only for the back-end coding to be so complex that Chris decided to close down the project.

Servant fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 3, 2012

Servant
Aug 3, 2010

The problem is that there is competition between Kickstarter projects for money, and in order to get funding, Kickstarters has to promise certain "rewards" (like, say, a copy of the game). However, once every Kickstarter offer 'rewards', those donating to Kickstarter gets spoiled and view Kickstarter as a preorder system as opposed to a donation system.

But no Kickstarter is going to try to reverse this trend by offering no rewards whatsoever for the project, because doing so will reduce the amount of donations they'll receive.

Servant
Aug 3, 2010

Times posted:

A sucker and his money are soon parted. These aren't preorders - this is donating to something that may or may not get made or may or may not be as cool as the idea suggests.

There's a difference between an item not being as cool as the idea suggests...and an item not actually existing in the first place. The former is an acceptable risk, but the latter is just terrible and worthy of shame. You (the Kickstarter OPer) made a promise with that reward, and you could choose not to offer that specific reward on the Kickstarter, yet now that you did so, and now that you received money from individuals who donated to receive that reward, you really should fulfill that promise. Why offer "rewards" in the first place if you can't deliver upon them and you are unsure the product will actually be created?

There's a reason why scams are illegal. (EDIT: Though, I don't view Kickstarters as altruistic attempts to produce ideas, but merely an attempt to raise funds, with one way to raise fund being the offering of 'rewards' that may or may not be produced. The honor system of Kickstarter is a significant weakness of the system though, because there is little to no accountability once the money is dispersed.)

Servant fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 5, 2012

Servant
Aug 3, 2010

So does that mean we can never trust anything from any employee ever?

Either he is a disgruntled employee, who obviously have an axe to grind, or he is a happy employee, in which case, he's obviously a shill.

Or maybe we can trust employees who'll go against type. Disgruntled employees who think he'll finish a product, or happy employees who are willing to admit that his friend has problems?

Servant fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servant
Aug 3, 2010

But then we should also exclude all positive comments from former employees. I mean, people don't grind axes for giggles, they do it for a reason, even if it is a petty self-justifying one. If a former employee praises another former employee's work because they like said employee, then that employee is praising his colleague for a reason that should brings that praise into question.

What I'm asking is whether employees' comments should be disregarded entirely, whether they are positive or negative.