Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
RPS posted about Baldur's Gate III "totally thinking Kickstarter".

It's pretty much a non-post though, so I will warn you now before getting too excited.

quote:

Baldur’s Gate 3 has been our long term goal. We have a lot of things to put in place before such a project can be launched. So currently there is no such project but that’s the one we want to do.

I can't help but find myslef agreeing with Adam (RPS writer).

quote:

Too soon, chaps, too soon.

Kickstarter is going to be flooded with ridiculous projects from people who have no idea how to make video games. I think it's probably best if they wait and see if this approach to development is even still around in 6 months. As much as I want to believe this is the "future" of game funding where developers get the cash direct from fans, I'm also a realist. This thing is probably going to be run straight into the ground by over-saturation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

TescoBag posted:

And yet, when publishers give them the money, they pander to them.

I completely agree with developers doing what they want to do, but there should be some fan involvement if they are funding.

Yes, developers have to accommodate publishers, but isn't the point of things like kickstarter so developers don't have to listen to an outside source and make the game they want?

I don't think replacing publisher input with "crowd-sourced" input is an acceptable alternative. Publishers apparently "don't know how to make games" but they do know how to make cash, that's their job. Fans don't know how to do either of those things.

I'm not saying developers shouldn't listen to their fans, that's not what that post says either. Devs really have to try and keep "a leash" on fan involvement and clearly outline the type of input they actually want. If you say something generic like "we are happy to get all fan input about game features" you end up with a community like Minecraft or the shithole that is the Wasteland 2 forums.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Are we pimping kickstarter projects in this thread?

Working for $1

quote:

This book describes a key but unmentioned cause of poverty, and what happens when the peoples' will is undermined by the interests of a small group of elites.
This seems real special. It's a manuscript which has already been written and just needs the funds to publish. I really want to see this project funded. It's only $2k away, come on goons...

Traditional Astrophotography
It's already funded but it could be a chance to get your hands on some really cool photo prints if it actually comes to fruition.

I was going to pimp some more but it appears I've waited too long and they are already completed and funded.

e: VVVVVV Oh yeah I'm a complete idiot. Despite the title of the thread even being Kickstarter Gaming it didn't occur to me. I'm kind of happy I did it now though if it was actually a goon (or a huge coincidence) that funded the rest of that "Working for $1" project. Search suggest this is the "main" kickstarter thread?

Xik fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 24, 2012

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Saoshyant posted:

Metacell 2

That video is loving incredible and the dev team appear to be awesome, I really hope they get funded. Shmup is a genre I care very little about though, so there is no way I can convince myself to fund a video game I have no intention of ever playing.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

mutata posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/policewarfare/police-warfare

Battlefield 3 but with cops and robbers. Great presentation, but that $100 tier reward is gonna piss people off.

Because the market is in dire need of more multiplayer first person shooters?

quote:

Members of the team have worked on games such as Far Cry 3, Gears Of War, Crysis 1/2, Assassin's Creed 2, Medal Of Honor: Airborne, Golden Eye, Killzone 2, and Grand Theft Auto 4.

quote:

We've worked at companies such as Ubisoft, Epic Games, Electronic Arts and Crytek.

The team is literally made up of people who developed the current generation man shoots. I've refrained from saying anything negative about any kickstarter project so far, but why does this project need crowd-sourcing? It's practically the exact game all the current publishers will lap up and fund. Even with the "creative control" they could have over the game due to it being crowd-sourced, the concept art may as well be from the next iteration of Battlefield.

e: VVVVV That was also kind of the point of my post. With the other projects you can defend against the whole "investment that you don't get a return on" thing when the result is a product which otherwise wouldn't exist, or is from a genre that main stream gaming has abandoned. Kickstarter is the answer for gamers who "want their niche back". What's this project? Producing the exact same product that the rest of the industry produces but without taking any risks, don't worry about taking out a real loan or having to lay out a proper business plan to secure a publisher, just put up a kickstarter page. If you succeed, you get rich and if you don't, who cares? They won't have to pay it back and it's a newly formed company, so there is no reputation to ruin.

Xik fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 13, 2012

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I'm all for game developers having an increase in quality of pay/life but not when the only financial risk involved is being taking by the consumer with absolutely no guarantees on their end. There is a reason that publishers get to dictate so much about the game and business practices, they are the ones taking all the financial risk, paying for developer salaries for X years, marketing, printing physical goods etc.

Kickstarter is a good alternative for kickstarting(heh) businesses so they can start becoming independent after the initially crowd-sourced project and proving that there is a market for [niche genre]. It's not a drop in replacement for other funding models and definitely isn't a serious contender against current publishers.

I don't know about anyone else but I am definitely not interested in fronting up the cash for every video game I play, taking all the risk and having to wait possibly years to get the final product. I can't see average Joe who buys [generic man shoot] willing to pay 2 years in advance for their entertainment product either.

I am willing to take the risk every now and then to support a superstar of the industry or give an extremely niche product the initial chance.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

randombattle posted:

I think all this kickstartery proves that having a good idea and showing that you will make something people actually want is infinitely better the just relying on nostalgia. Brian Fargo and the double fine guys have this in common. It's had little to do with simple nostalgia and more to do with a clear vision that they can get this done and make something great.

I have to completely disagree. A significant part (if not all) of it is nostalgia and the "superstar" personalities involved. Like NINbuntu says, if anyone except Tim Schafer said "I want to make an adventure game lol, give me half a million dollars" with no other details you'd probably have to be a moron to back it (we still might be).

Your argument is valid for all the indie nobodies that put up projects with awesome ideas/prototypes though (eg: FTL), just not the "big" ones so far.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

randombattle posted:

You can't tell me that watching the Tim Schafer stuff doesn't make you go "Ok these guys can make something entertaining as gently caress."

Completely because of Tim Schafer and his adorable beard, not because of anything they have said about creating a game. Remove him and I wouldn't even give a crap about the project.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

the black husserl posted:

Okay there is something a little strange about certain kickstarters...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1840293109/castle-dracula?ref=category

Please someone tell me this is some kind of troll project and all those on the backers page are in on the joke?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Al! posted:

How much do I have to donate to keep this from happening?

Come on, it wasn't that bad. I actually thought it was pretty good for a fan film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Mordaedil posted:

But maybe he'll shut up about his whole "haha, gently caress publishers" ordeal after this kickstarter, especially when he realizes he can't just drag more funding out from a magical drawer.

If Wasteland 2 works out then he should be able to fund future projects from that. Assuming he doesn't gently caress it up like with Interplay and try to dunk his fingers in every pie at the bakery.