Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Segmentation Fault posted:

Sam Hyde is one of the guys in the comedy troupe Million Dollar Extreme. The style shown in the video is very evocative of MDE's style. See this video as a comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7t6Yeoii-Y

They also used music from CognosSquare, who seems to be related to a lot of MDE videos and nothing else.

http://mde-tv.bandcamp.com/track/rocop-2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFCwENJk9Gc
http://www.somethingawful.com/awfulvision/million-dollar-extreme/5/

EDIT: Lucky's theme (lemon shortcake by James Price) was used in Obama is a House Negroe as well, and he seems to be MDE's music guy

Suspicious Dish fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

xXEPIC_YOLOSWAGXx posted:

Why is there so many polar bear questions

Us goons love rich and detailed character customization features in our games.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
hold on, give me a few minutes to get a bear pun here

*opens up tab to dangan ronpa let's play*

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Go play Perspective, the original DigiPen game. It's free and quite good.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Excuse me, there is supreme beauty in Milles, Knight of Anal Tyranny ~Impregnated by Lusty Tentacles at the Ends of Oblivion~, and I will not tolerate anyone who dares to think otherwise.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Porting a game to multiple architectures always increases testing cost. Doesn't matter if it's for PS4 or Linux.

EDIT: haven't seen this one before. Looks really good! Gave them my $15.

Suspicious Dish fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 22, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

kirbysuperstar posted:

I don't even know who that could be. Yuzo Koshiro? Tim Follin?

Probably one of the ex-Rare guys like David Wise or Grant Kirkhope.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
It just seems like a sandbox world so far. It doesn't seem like it could keep my attention for more than a week. Sure, I can have fun dicking around on some pre-made slope models, but there doesn't seem to be much of a goal.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, you're absolutely right. I love the art style so much, and the first person animations look good, so I'm so on the edge here ready to back it. But yeah, depending upon the content this could be something I get bored of really fast. They'll need a few different cool levels like THPS did to make it really something. Hmm.

With the guy's vision in the trailer, I wouldn't imagine he has anything more planned.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
LOOK AT ALL THESE GAME VETERANS

* a dude who made a children's cartoon
* a dude who did some models from COD
* a dude who made lovely 90s music

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Doesn't matter. Just stick around, chill for a bit, and post like you're one of our buddies we're talking about Kickstarter Gaming with on the couch with a beer, not a salesman.

Do that and you should be fine.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Whoa, I had no idea Harmonix was in Cambridge. They're a five minute walk from my apartment. That's awesome.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

I remember playing this back in 1996.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Yodzilla posted:

Goddamn is Mark of the Old Ones coming down to the wire. $800 to go with two hours left https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1168767162/mark-of-the-old-ones-a-metroidvanian-adventure

I initially donated, but then canceled my pledge. The levels they showed didn't look interesting. It's a good tech demo, but I'm not sure it will make for a fun game.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Yeah, apparently they've been working on it already for three years. It does look pretty good.

One of the planned stretch goals is an English dub. That possibility has already made me more interested in backing than I was before. They're already up to 41% of their goal after just two days, so they are on track to easily fund.

Waiting eagerly for the inevitable Project Nimbus quality English dub.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Holy crap. With $100,000, too.

... this is going to turn out to be another disappointing, high-expectations roller coaster, isn't it?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

The Cheshire Cat posted:

A better way to put it is that you CAN own gameplay concepts, but it's not automatic like copyright. You have to deliberately patent it.

Nobody knows yet. Courts recently decided that APIs are actually copyrightable, something that programmers thought were public domain for a long time. Until there's a court case that decides that, nobody knows whether gameplay concepts are copyrightable yet. They very well might.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

NmareBfly posted:

:toot:

Wanted to get one right on the goal line but then I spaced out. Oh well. Good on 'em!

Which one is this?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
His helmet has a police siren.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Didn't one of the Space Quest games have a bridge control segment? I know one of the old adventure games did.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Top-notch, BiggerJ. Looking forward to "The search for Icarus's boom boom", exclusively on fanfiction.net.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Owns owns owns.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

AxeManiac posted:

doesn't make everyone thing Dia is going to blow them.

Aw. Cancelling my pledge now :(

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Grimwall posted:

Unfortunate but necessary, they need the money to for proper graphics.

Why?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

poemdexter posted:

There's no way opengameart.org has enough decent assets with similar styles for him to realistically create a trailer that won't look like trash. opengameart.org is a grab bag of terribleness.

So it fits perfectly with the game, then.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Can somebody post a good summary of this mess or something? I have a lot of popcorn, but not 10 hours of time to sift through the chaos.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Kibayasu posted:

I wouldn't put much stock in any side of the equation at this point but if I had to choose I'd go with the side that hasn't written 5000+ word blog posts about how mentally unbalanced everybody on other side is.

So, neither side.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Yeah, the XBone and PS4 are basically PCs. Technology is mostly at a standstill. The PS3 was designed for raw power, but games aren't really using all that much power, and the PS3 put the power in the wrong places: what you need from a great HD experience is fast texture loads, not more CPU cycles and parallel processing. The PS4 is optimized a bit better in terms of disk speed and memory bandwidth, it's not great, but it's around the speed of a modern PC. XBone is a bit better, but still not perfect.

The real big thing going on now is making really great developer workflows and artist pipelines, which is why we're seeing consoles that are basically PCs, and engines like UE4 and Unity that are trying to be as developer- and artist-friendly as possible.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

The White Dragon posted:

Wouldn't work. Between two parties of complete idiots, there's nothing left to the imagination :v:

Much like Japanese game developers tbh

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm actually not too familiar with the XBone's internals. I've been told it has somewhat better throughput in terms of loading from memory, though.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Arial is a bad font for UI graphics. Put an outline around that poo poo, and also add an artifical 0 to the end of the score.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Oh, it's by these guys? gently caress.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Segmentation Fault posted:

I'm not familiar with Tale of Tales games outside of The Path and The Graveyard. What is Chris Benoit Latte like?

You walk on a beach for a bit, and random props show up, like a shoe or a clock. There is one building at the top of the beach, and if you go inside, you play chess with your random props against a random co-op partner. Nobody has opened this game since the week it came out.

This is the entire game.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Guys, before we can make or even judge video games, we have to ask ourselves what a game is? Is it not just the embodiment of our naive longing for nostalgia, hoping for the days when we were young and free and could play all the time?

Video games are what empower and enlighten us, and we should be proud to have such a rich and diverse collection of video games at our immediate disposal. Video games are about self-introspection, self-exploration, and self-empowerment. Bientot l'ete, Gone Home, Dear Escher allow that as much as Journey, Shadow of the Colossus, and Braid.

I do not discriminate against video games, including ones where you just open it up and smoke along a beach. Or discover a baby monitor along a beach. Or inside a spooky, scary house. Every fish in the metaphorical video game sea can teach us great, great things about life, ourselves, and most importantly, our friends.

Thank you.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Not directly video game music, but aivi & surasshu's The Black Box has the same style of chiptine and also mixes it with piano.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I played the demo before the Kickstarter came out and it was good. I am looking forward to Catlateral Damage.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Kirios posted:

It must be disheartening for people with real and legitimate game ideas get less money on their kickstarter than potato salad.

It's given me more entertainment than most Kickstarter Video Games.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I don't understand how "the art is totally amazing" translates to "the team is motivated and talented enough to finish this complex, sophisticated open-world video game" in your head.

Only back games that have a really good chance of finishing, from a team with determination to finish. I'm still 6 for 6 on all my pledges.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Yodzilla posted:

And how is one supposed to judge determination from text, screenshots, and a short video?

e: i mean besides the devs looking and sounding like complete schlubs. the confederate express guys didn't seem to fit that mold

By backing projects by people that have released a game previously, or have been working on this for a considerably long time before starting the Kickstarter, to the point where the game's almost done.

Nintendo Kid posted:

I have to admit, that's better than the usual "you'll get a thank you email!"

No it's not. It's insulting to get the runoff from your manual printing, because it was just a thing they had lying around. Especially given that the manual just has the controls for a game you don't have.

At least the Thank You email would be hand-written. I'd prefer that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Wait, I just learned about Midora. Apparently this got funded? It looks like they just stole the Minish Cap sprites directly.

EDIT: https://soundcloud.com/derris-kharlan/sets/ignis-aeternus

holy crap this music totally won't get annoying at all