Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
Maybe he thinks everything has to be speculative fiction.
I didn't donate but I'm letting myself hope something good in the vein of SWAT 4 comes out of it. I also won't be that surprised if it's crap, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
A lot of the talk about other platforms and the decision to go with iOS suggests to me their main motivation to make this game isn't actually wanting to make this game, but wanting to make a AAA game for iOS in order to be a Special Snowflake. Which really makes the whole thing unappealing to me, even with a PC version.

Edit: Didn't they say publishers wanted to fund this game, but not as an iOS exclusive, which is why they turned to kickstarter? Unless I'm remembering wrong this whole thing just got really weird.

Electric Pope fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 26, 2012

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
God drat they are terrible liars. So they outsourced the concept art 6 months ago, but the contest is over a year old. drat those time traveling artists!

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
I still kind of really want it to succeed, and I probably would've put up $50 if they'd announced it for PC to begin with, but I'm not really willing to put any money down on it at this point. I wonder how many people think similarly, and if there's any chance they'd have reached their goal already otherwise.
edit in case this looks like some kind of "PC MASTER RACE" post, my main issue is that they seem more passionate about some weird, specific desire to do the game on iOS than they do about the game itself.

Electric Pope fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 1, 2012

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no

Saoshyant posted:

or the developers threw in the rest of the money to secure the whole fund.

Unless they have hundreds of credit cards between them it definitely wasn't this. It probably wasn't a publicity boost either, once something hits 90% it's pretty much guaranteed that everyone watching the kickstarter will up their pledge a little if need be.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
There's also the fact that, in a case like this where it's getting close to its goal as it gets even closer to its deadline, people who are invested in its success become willing to pledge more than they otherwise would have. You see people saying they just doubled or tripled their pledges all over the comments.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
May 3rd was the announcement that David Hayter and Jennifer Hale are on the voice cast. I guess Metal Gear Solid fans have a lot of money. May 9th was just it approaching the deadline.
Although I didn't pledge and I'm not super optimistic about the PC version, I'm altogether happy that it looks likely to make it.

Electric Pope fucked around with this message at 12:35 on May 11, 2012

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
You know it's not just "proving there's a market", there's a difference between investing $500,000 and investing $1,000,000.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
Why is it so important that we all take a moment to remember the good done by a misogynistic piece of poo poo when calling him a misogynistic piece of poo poo? How is childs play relevant right now?

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no

Det_no posted:

I'm sorry I said "outside of tentacles existing".
"I'm sorry could you please give evidence that rape tropes are being used other than the rape tropes being used? No? Check AND mate :smug:"

Det_no posted:

the aliens could be replaced with anything else and the actual product would be the same.
This kind of seems like another point against the game more than anything else though?

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
I think one important thing you're missing is that there aren't any murder victims who have to live with being murdered. And it's not like the fetishization of murder specifically is generally considered OK either.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no

snipermonkey posted:

There still is attempted murder victims and there isn't a huge cry against murder in media from these people.

I don't know why you'd bring this up in disagreement with me unless you're implying rape victims are being too touchy and should be more like those hardy survivors of attempted murder?

vvvvv A goon can't spit without hitting an argument about some feminist issue. Whoops guess I'm a part of that.

Electric Pope fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 17, 2012

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
They should cover whatever kickstarters they consider notable. Maybe they're not doing that as well as you'd like, but do you realize you're basically suggesting that they should be more like kotaku?
Nothing should be more like kotaku, ever.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no

Juc66 posted:

I'm fine with her kickstarter but I don't know how calling misogynists what they are will actually change them.

I dislike this notion, when it comes to things like racism and misogyny, that someone is either seething with hatred and beyond being reasoned with, or completely enlightened. There's plenty of people who might be open to the idea that there is a problem, and that they might even be a part of it, but don't quite understand what the problem is or what they might be doing wrong. Or people who just haven't thought about it at all, but wouldn't necessarily react poorly.

Apologies if you were just referring to the youtube commenters and I've misread.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no

Smol posted:

Now this is something...

Neal Stephenson (yes, the Neal Stephenson) wants to make a swordfighting game. Not a swordfighting game like they are now, but how they should be. Not sure what I think about the project, but the pitch itself is cool as hell. Includes a cameo by Gabe Newell as well. :3:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/260688528/clang

This post got me extremely excited, and implied this project was something I'd been wanting for years. But man, the idea that 1:1 control of your sword, whether it's by motion control or weird mouse control stuff, is necessary for that or even desirable really bothers me. It seems like something that sounds cool, but really thinking about it, it comes across as the same logic as thinking a game like ARMA 2 needs a reloadable light gun.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no

Achmed Jones posted:

Yeah, agreed. For a sword game with a 1:1 control scheme to work, the controller has to be able to stop when it hits another sword or a person or whatever. And that's not really a thing that's possible.

Otherwise you're just doing the same old 'waggle horizontally to slash THIS WAY' 'waggle vertically to slash THAT WAY' that we've already seen in Wii games.

I was more getting at the idea that the part of Really Real Swordfighting that's important to a game isn't the physical act of swinging the sword.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
There isn't really a Skate of swordsmanship though. M&B is probably the closest, but as others have said it's really not THAT deep, being mostly focused on large group battles, and it's also not especially polished. Dark Souls is closer to THPS, while most games with swords are, poo poo, Jet Set Radio Future I guess?

That's why I was excited, and looking again it might still be at least close to what I want out of it - it mentions "moves" and doesn't actually say anything about 1:1 control, so I'm hoping it's gesture controlled, pretty much like Skate. There's still the question of why they couldn't do that with a mouse or thumbstick, or how well that would turn out with current motion technology, but I guess we'll see.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
When people think being too realistic is Call of Duty's problem I don't know what to think.
But yes, there is a difference between going from a realistic base and adapting it to entertainment or art, versus pedantic realistic stuff that nobody cares about. I hope Neal has a good grasp on the difference. If he does, you don't even necessarily have to be a swordfighting nerd - how many well researched things have you enjoyed in other mediums? I don't have a fetish for crime or police work, but I know I loved The Wire.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
Shh, you'll ruin the fun of seeing people get really worried about kickstarters that have roughly a 100% chance of success.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no

Whack posted:

Why? Why is a video like that necessary? Is there a gamer on earth who doesn't realize that women are sexualized in video games? Unlikey, considering we hear about it ALL THE loving TIME! Who exactly is the audience for this unnecessary garbage? Who is she planning on reaching here?

Haha yeah that's true we sure have already solved all sexism forever, as evidenced by your posts. Guess we can all go home.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no

TetsuoTW posted:

The video for it is goddamned great too. I'm not sure I'm down with buying yet another bloody controller, but I'm certainly down to support the project.

They've said there will be mouse control. It's just a question of whether or not the mouse control sucks, for me.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
Early on the levels seemed very clearly randomly generated, and while not terrible not very good either, but as it went on and got more difficult, it started to generate very densely packed levels that, were they designed by a human, would have required a great amount of care to make them that difficult and tight but still so obviously doable.
It's not exactly Super Meat Boy, but I'm intrigued.

e. Just finished the video. The one you died on seriously was nearly on the level of a Super Meat Boy stage, everything was just so perfectly timed.

Electric Pope fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 17, 2012

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
Womyn

In other news, it seems that Skyjacker has slowed to only a few hundred dollars a day at well less than 50%. It did much better than its first time around, but it still seems really unlikely it will make it.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no

Senso posted:

Playing as a Conquistator in any sort of game is so unappealing to me. I have no interest in playing a Belgian general invading and pillaging Congo, or a British repressing revolts in India, or a French executing Algerian nationalists.

For a contemporary take on the Conquistators, watch this.

I have an interest in all of these things, but mostly because I have an interest in my actions being legitimately depicted as amoral and even shameful in videogames. It'd take way more maturity than almost any game developer has shown, though.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no

Renoistic posted:

They usually manage to scrape together enough money, thanks to a surge of pledges during the last couple of days, but the goal is pretty high so it's very uncertain at this point. I've raised my pledge so I feel I've done my part at least.

Eh, I've seen enough to know that it's pretty much the surest thing possible by now. If nothing else, the people already invested in its success wouldn't let it fail from >75%.
It probably won't make much more than its goal though, and that sucks.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
Here is the thing, QA is the publishers job. It is literally a thing the publisher is expected to do rather than the developer. That's not to say developers just straight up ignore bugs or don't think about them when writing code, that would be stupid, but the publisher also handles a lot of other things related to release that would have an impact, like rushing a game out the door. Now, Bethesda publish their own games, so of course they can be blamed for releasing a buggy game. And sometimes the issue is the engine, which means it's on the developers if the engine is first party or chosen by them. And obviously a developer can turn in an unusually broken game and give the publishers more work than it's worth, which can be the fault of either side.
With Obsidian though, it's pretty much always been a case of publishers rushing them, and in some cases publishers seemingly just not doing half-decent QA or forcing lovely constraints on them.

e. ^^ sorry, posted this before I saw your post. So, back to the likely Obsidian kickstarter, I remember a lot of people being disappointed when a Planescape Torment kickstarter was ruled out. Thing is, isn't a new Obsidian IP more exciting than a sequel to a game that didn't especially need a sequel?

Electric Pope fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
If Elite doesn't make it I will eat my entire house.