Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

swamp waste, have you by chance played Middens? Lonely Star's demo feels a little bit like that game, in terms of how weird and off-beat - the aesthetic, I mean. It's good! You don't get that kind of heavy stippling in many games, which is a shame due to how cool it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

swamp waste posted:

No, but I looked it up and now I'm going to have to. Game looks sick. I'm sure the people behind it got tired of hearing about their "Terry Gilliam aesthetic" but that's what leapt to mind. I love that, cause I distinctly remember, as a kid watching Monty Python, thinking "someone should make a game that looks like that"

Oh, cool - I had to google who Terry Gilliam was, but his animations look incredibly weird.

An actual question about the Kickstarter: do you have any idea how many pages the Artbook pdf will be? Or just some general idea of how much content will be in it?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

swamp waste posted:

Gathering isn't for crafting materials, if that's what you're thinking, it's like, you pick up some berries or nuts off a plant (or some stale bread out of the trash) instead of a medkit or a Zelda heart. It's a way to refill your HP. But anyway, thanks! I'm glad you're into it.

I've got like 150 pages of sketches and reference materials already and there's gonna be more... I'll have to pare it down somewhat from that. I was thinking in the 60-80 pg range. It'll be half that and half writing about the context, historical background, and themes in the game, sort of like a director's commentary

Oh my goodness, I want that. I might just up my pledge for that, then - also, congratulations, the demo has been compelling enough that this is the second video game I've ever backed. I hope it picks up steam as the campaign goes on and gets funded!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Lonely Star: I haven't played many demos and don't know what the standard length for one is, but I keep getting surprised by how much there is to this demo. I left the starter town, I finished the first quest, and I kept expecting to run into a "that's all, please fund for more" barrier, but instead I'm deep enough into the second quest to find the sequence where you get turned into a snake. It's all fantastically odd and well put together. It's much more robust than Wizard of Legend's demo, which was more of a "here's how the engine works" than a proper demo to play through, even if it had an interesting concept.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

youcallthatatwist posted:

Hey I just wanted to let you know that your game has an excellent style and it's fun to play, even though I suck at it. I love all of the monster designs, and the atmosphere and characters. I'll back it as soon as I get the opportunity. I do have a few comments:
-I found the dialogue hard to follow when there's more than one textbox on screen at once, because it isn't clear what order people are speaking in. Iy's even worse if you accidentally listen in to two different conversations at once.
-It's kind of irritating to have to reequip my weapon every time I pull out a torch.
-I know you want to let people explore and figure things out on their own, and you don't want to bore the player, but... it might be nice to have a few optional tutorials or something for people who are terrible like me. I don't mean you need to go over every corner of the menu screen in minute detail, but I think part of the reason I'm struggling is that I still have no clue how some of the mechanics work. Why is there sometimes a flame above your HP that doesn't seem to affect anything? How do you reliably run from random encounters? Why does the screen sometimes flash yellow during battles? I know the game is supposed to be weird and surreal, but a little more direction might be nice.

Oh also: is the music supposed to stop and start at random intervals? The soundtrack is fanatastic and it's a shame to be listening to nothing but bird calls for long stretches of time.

I've been playing the demo a lot, so - I think the flame above your HP bar means you're in danger, so you can't sleep there. Running from random encounters: it's really tricky to outrun the clouds, so go ahead and trigger them then high-tail it in one direction away from the enemies. Unless you get the ogre clown things, they're fairly easy to kill.

(I may have spent a lot of my first playthrough being terrified of everything as I ran from essentially everything until I was forced to learn some combat on the way to Snake Town....and by forced, I mean I was convinced the Spaniards were guarding the entrance, when no, the entrance was away from them and I could've just snuck around 'em. Whoops!)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Sometimes I wonder why such cool and responsible-looking Kickstarters like Lonely Star are having trouble funding, and then I look at the massive list of funded games that were either bad or never happened, and oh. :sigh:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

swamp waste posted:

Aw thanks! I wonder if the whole thing is just too esoteric for people; it's getting a lot of good press but that's not translating into money. I'll keep tryin though. I really appreciate yall's support.

e: I have updated the demo build with secrets

Oh hell yes. I've been curious about this gas station god for ages now, happy to see it's in now.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

swamp waste posted:

I don't have a background in video games other than this, so I figured my demo would be the best indication of what I could do. It does make sense why that would turn people off, so I just skipped talking about it entirely. Do you think there's a better approach? I see what you mean about the trailer-- it could have been a lot clearer about how the game actually works. I thought the KS page and the demo would explain that, after the trailer intrigued people. The game is pretty sophisticated and refined at this point, so if the trailer comes off as slapdash that's not good.

From what little I've gathered about kickstarters, trailers are really, insanely important. They're the hook to get people to actually download the demo.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I was poking around in Kickstarter and found two interesting projects for vastly different reasons:

Synthetik, looks like a neat shooter that I almost want to back.

Then there's Test Me, one of those visual novel kickstarters you see in there so often. On the one hand, I get why kickstarter is good for this format of game. On the other hand, for a game that relies solely on its writing, why would you fill the pitch with clunky, dry writing? Not to mention the video is, er.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

I didn't realize you were a survival game, I thought you were more legend of zelda ish.

You restore health by eating food/corn and drinking water, so it was a huge part of the demo to gather food. Not obnoxiously so, mind you, you would automatically store the food so you could eat it later. I thought it worked well and was fairly intuitive.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Colon Semicolon posted:

Interceptor games just launched a kickstarter for Rad Rogers, a platformer which seems to be a cross between Commander Keen and Conker's Bad Fur Day. This is probably the most polished looking kickstarter project I've seen. animation looks top notch!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HHZfVCbssE

:laffo: at the "this game looks like a kid game, but it's not! You can overkill plants!" with all the extreme-o blood splatters.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Oh poo poo, Code: Hardcore put their kickstarter up finally :toot:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1609568567/code-hardcore-the-coolest-2d-mecha-battle-game

I'm totally sold on the idea of a 2D giant robot platformer, just on principle. The demo stuff just adds to it for me:

https://twitter.com/rocketpunchgame/status/720559713683841024

drat, those 10$ early bird slots went fast.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

An interesting/good-looking platformer kickstarter, but I don't know if a game kickstarter can pull in 300k without having a massively popular nostalgia-fueled brand name to back it up: Blubber Busters.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Zaa Boogie posted:

That's a good looking game. And hopefully that's the budget they need.

It sounds like a beginning-to-be-reasonable budget for a game, but given the current climate in kickstarter (thanks, MN9!) I don't know if they can pull that in.

I mean, the gamedev behind the upcoming game Jupiter Hell has been talking on twitter about how he will not be running the kickstarter for full amount, and using other sources to finance the rest as he simply can't pull off a kickstarter that's big enough.

https://twitter.com/epyoncf/status/773548588005818369

https://twitter.com/epyoncf/status/773551943918751748

(that entire discussion is fascinating and depressing)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Modus Pwnens posted:

IDK, it looks a little scattershot to me. Each whale that comes in is a separate level, so that makes me think procedurally generated. And then there's base building elements. And time management? It's all over the place.

Honestly, my initial impression of it is that it looks a bit like Metroid Fusion. Like, it may have that add-on stuff but I'm here for solid platformer action. If they can actually fund it, that is. Kicktraq says that isn't possible, but I'd like to hope anyways.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Blubber Busters has tossed up a tiny demo, and I can't help but recall an article I read a while back: cliqist thinks demos aren't good for kickstarters.

Is there any truth to that? It seems most of them have demos these days, and I personally like their presence. (It's me, I'm the person who skips the videos for kickstarters and plays the demo first thing instead, if I liked the write-up for the campaign.)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hypnospace Outlaw made a presskit, and it's got 20k pledged so far - 8 days to go before this magnificent game runs out of time.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hypnospace Outlaw funded! :woop: One of the two video game kickstarters I backed that actually got funded and are happening!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hypnospace Outlaw has two hours left to go - it's funded and it met the stretch goal of getting Hot Dad, but there are two left and one of them involves adding (more) adorably animated virtual pets to the game, so I want it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Arcen's starting their AI War kickstarter next week, and they're asking for uh, a bit much. I genuinely don't know if they have the fanbase for that anymore.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hey, the Arcen kickstarter is finally live!

AI War II, aka the sequel to the one game from Arcen that's kept them afloat for years.

There's no way in hell they'll pull in that much money, but hey, good luck to them. I might just kick them a few dollars their way myself as I enjoyed the Last Federation and Starward Rogue a whole lot.

e: This amuses me:

quote:

Why $299,400 instead of just the big round number of $300k?
$299,400 is exactly what our budget shows AI War 2 will cost. Why should we ask for $600 we don't need? Showing you the true amount and not the nearest estimate sends the message that we approached budgetary concerns seriously, and did not say, "Yeah that sounds about right for a game."

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I really, really hate Kickstarter-exclusive items as that screws over people who discover about a project way later.

A silly example, but the virtual pet raising browser game Flight Rising? I am never going to get a Boolean, or a Skycat familiar as I only found the game after it launched, and this torpedoes any chance for me to finish filling up my familiar pokedex, so to speak, thus sapping some of the fun out of the game. (I know, I know it's the kind of game that's based around limited items and it's impossible to get everything, but locking some of it behind the kickstarter is just...ugh. Salt on the wound.)

The soundtrack is a nice add-on, as is a "making of the game behind the scenes" stuff, as those aren't in-game - but yeah. If it's KS-exclusive I don't like it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I think Darkest Dungeon did alright by having there be KS backer-designed weapons and party members that now everyone can access. There's the special "I backed this cool thing" feeling without excluding everyone else who discovered the game when it came out of early access.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I am so massively disappointed. Here's a kickstarter for an isometric mech shooting game, similar to Brigador, and I'd be all geared up for it as it looks great....

.....it's multiplayer-only.

Single-player would be a stretch goal.

:negative:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

laserghost posted:

On November 15th, Jupiter Hell aka the follow-up to DoomRL will have a Kickstarter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj1-KQEGmsM

I hope it succeeds, as DoomRL is one of the best roguelikes out there, but that art style.....

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Malek Deneith posted:

So question to people commenting on Jupiter Hell - what is it about the teaser that you found displeasing. I have a bit of a contect with Kornel he was confused, wondering was it the style/cheesines of the trailer that you didn't like, or the artstyle of the game, or something else? He's really interested in input on that.

On my end: the comedy didn't work for me.

But more importantly, I have no idea what I'm playing. Literally the only reason I'm interested is because it's made by the DoomRL guy. It's a..roguelike? In generic gray/brown space setting, with split-second footage and... I guess I'm interested?

I mean if I want a generic isometric shooter in space nah we have those, so the trailer isn't really showing off any real reason to be hyped, here.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Jupiter Hell, the sequel/successor to DoomRL is up. Haven't watched the trailer yet but I trust it's better than the one we saw earlier.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Kickstarter has turned from whatever greater, sort of beatific goals it once had (if ever) into an increasingly moneyed and corporate venture where now it's gone from crowdfunded patronage into an unsecured pre-order system. Professional scam artists like Schafer and Molyneaux have muddied the waters further with their crass manipulation of the system and for a good 90% or more of projects on there nowadays it's either not worth backing because the project will probably fail and you won't get your money back or it'll be funded with or without your help so why risk it in the first place.

KS has lost whatever made it special or interesting in the first place and it's become yet another, fairly anti-consumer revenue stream, mostly for corporations who don't need the money anyways.

On the one hand, you're right.

On the other hand, there still exist good projects: Harebrained studios and their Shadowrun games, plus their upcoming mecha game, the Dropsy guy and Hypnospace Outlaw, and (however naive I am to believe it) - the Jupiter Hell guy.

The platform is not entirely lost, even if I'm no longer sure it can pull in enough money for the genuine projects that need the funding. ( :rip: Lonely Star)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Okay, I'm impressed. I know a lot of a kickstarter's success hinges on how much they can pull in on the first day, and - Jupiter Hell's already up to 19% funded, i.e. 11,580£. That gives me some hope of it actually getting funded. :shobon:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Obsurveyor posted:

Hahahaha, Jupiter Hell doubled down on the trailer horribleness for Kickstarter, I only made it 20 seconds. I wish it was Youtube so I could link it directly in the thread.

I finally watched it, and :lol: "Hallowed be thy pain" yeah okay you're lucky I love DoomRL so much.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Do not even ask posted:

you know when crowdfunding is dead when arguing about big gay dumb tim schafer is more interesting to talk about then any of the recent campaigns

Well what is there to say? We've got the usual crop of interesting, hopefully good games, weird games, visual novels, and stuff that's never going to get funded. I'm invested in Jupiter Hell despite its godawful trailer, but not in the others, but it's nice to see that the Chuck Tingle thing got funded, as did the survival horror set in Hell.

I mean, in a sense what we're talking about is a series of elaborate marketing campaigns. Not gameplay, not reviews, not the usual slew of stuff to say about games - just their marketing campaigns, and if they're actually happening or not.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

AI War II relaunched the kickstarter for WAY less money. :allears:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Star Guarded posted:

I'll be doin' the Kickstarter for my first commercial game Southern Monsters in January:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/547126543/1203586327?token=fefae40b

There's the preview. Currently missing the trailer/pitch video and a couple reward photos (mostly the printed novella at the $100 level and the $300 goose pysanka), and the screenshots are from a Unity build missing one UI element (the in-game clock), so those will need to be updated. The trailer is mostly finished and I'm pretty pleased about it -- IF isn't an easy genre to cut a trailer for.

anyway, please do not own me with the kickstarter feedback feature.

"Southern Monsters is written by Kevin Snow, and let me switch from third-person to first, here: this game is deeply personal."

This sentence felt awkward and knocked me out of the pitch for a moment.

I don't know how popular this'll be, but I'm in. This looks interesting and weird in a way I like to see.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'm mildly worried for Jupiter Hell - the funding has slowed down and they're hanging out around 34k (of 74k) and hmmm. I know the middle is a slow slump for kickstarters, but hrmmmmm this always worries me, especially when I want to play the game. :negative:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I don't trust kicktraq, as from what little I've seen of it, it always overestimates how much they'll get by a lot, thanks to the initial rush throwing off the charts - but thanks!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/romero/status/800816284002754560

Hah, he did tweet it.

Thanks for the reassurance, guys. I know I shouldn't arzy about kickstarters, but it's hard not to - especially since I just started kickstarting things recently, when most projects are struggling. :sweatdrop:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/epyoncf/status/804482084702187520

I guess the Jupiter Hell kickstarter brought him too much attention or something, DoomRL's been up for years at this point.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Jupiter Hell has 62k and it needs 75k (give or take) and 3 days and hoo boy. C'mooooon final surge!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'm annoyed that a game with some fantastic visual designs with a neat concept and atmospheric music is going to have gameplay that belongs in a flash game... and, well, the direction of the GUI/use of the art makes it look like a flash game. Just. :sigh:

Plague Road. It might get funded, I don't know, but I wish it were better so I could back it and enjoy how weird it looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hero U: " "retiring with enough to live on" after working for Sierra? Not likely! :-) Our best chance to retire well is to finish Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption and a few more games in the series, and have them sell well enough to actually make a profit. We're willing to risk some funds to try to make that happen. Everything good I've achieved or received in my life has come from taking a risk."

Jesus christ, someone help these people! :(