Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Urdnot Fire posted:

Yeah, that is one Kickstarter game I wish they were thinking of iOS for.

Yeah, it does look like something that would be great on the go. I sent the guy/girl running it a message asking whether they'd consider iOS as a stretch goal, so I'll let you know what they say if they get back to me.

EDIT: They said it's pretty much not going to happen:

clairvoire posted:

Hello!

An iOS version may be unlikely, but only because I'm really unfamiliar with the platform. It would also require a complete redesign taking touch controls into consideration. Were time to allow it, there'd be no question! But the next 9 months are looking to be pretty hectic as it were, ahaha.

Seems like a pretty reasonable reason not to do one.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Any game that lets backers design a level is a game I immediately don't want to play.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Urdnot Fire posted:

You don't want all the levels to be filled with ponies and Homestuck trolls?

You make a convincing argument, but I'll pass.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Mr.48 posted:

To be honest, their tablet demo version does look pretty awesome. Its just that their rewards dont seem to be particularly appealing.

Yeah, I'm conflicted. It's pretty much my perfect aesthetic (look at that three eyed oni! :allears:), but I really wish it wasn't a free to play game and none of the rewards really appeal. I'll probably throw them a couple of dollars to support the concept.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Install Gentoo posted:

Typing of the Dead owns of course, but it also doesn't purport to teach you how to fight infected hordes.

What? All that time in Club Sega... wasted?

In fairness to the Code Hero backers, I can imagine that a FPS used to teach the very basics of coding could actually work. It just seems like the guy they gave their money to was either woefully inept or a snake oil salesman.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I think reading that broke my brain... So, what I'm getting is that they've essentially rebuilt the game from the ground up in the time since November?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

For the people who backed the Banner Saga (and even those who didn't), they've recently put up a massive update on their website. It's well worth a read. Seems like things are going well.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

the black husserl posted:

So The Banner Saga came out today for backers and I'm hugely disappointed. I have never played a game with such stifling microtransactions, it takes money to do anything and upgrading units is a horrible grind. :(

It does have very nice art at least.

That's only the weird free to play game. The actual game isn't out until the summer, and I presume that will have no microtransactions.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

elf help book posted:

Have the SkullGirls people stated why they chose IndieGogo over Kickstarter?

Klepek just put an article on Giantbomb which says that:

Patrick Klepek posted:

One way Lab Zero Games hoped to curb its monetary stress in the days ahead was launching through Indiegogo, not Kickstarter. On Kickstarter, projects have to wait weeks after funding closes before it actually shows up in a bank account. Indiegogo also takes less of a cut. On Indiegogo, that money starts coming in after hitting the goal.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Mojo Jojo posted:

Even the most cynical view would see this as a good thing though, as it means that there's extra cash floating around to ensure Wasteland 2 happens.

They've already said that it's an entirely separate pot. No money from this is going to Wasteland, and vice versa.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I'm not sure if that file's public. I certainly couldn't get to it.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Rinkles posted:

Won't anyone think of those poor overlooked medium to long haired men? :qq:

Don't worry, JRPG villains have got you covered.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

He's definitely going to be able to afford Symphony No. 2 as well.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Al Baron posted:

Dead State has just put up a video that shows off some scavenging and combat.

It looks pretty good. They could do with some fog of war though, those zombies just popping in as you see them looks slightly ridiculous.

EDIT: Oh, and while I'm nitpicking, decibels do not work like that.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 15, 2013

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Basic Chunnel posted:

Really it seems like Kickstarter's been a miracle for George Ziets and Mark Morgan more than anyone else. Don't think they had much else going on.

That fact is criminal in itself. Someone should hire them permanently!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The Retronauts team have announced their stretch goals. Hugs for everyone!

Retronauts posted:

As you may have gathered, we were caught a bit off-guard by the speed with which we hit our goal. In fact, we had pegged $20,000 for our first theoretical stretch milestone, but we're already well past that point. So we've bumped it up to $24,000, because what's the fun in a slam dunk? Oh, wait, we're almost at 24K. Oh well. Looks like we're in it for weekly shows, then, because you see, our first goal is precisely that.

$24,000: If we manage to hit 24K, which is to say basically that if anyone else at all contributes, we'll produce mini-Retronauts podcasts on the "off" weeks between the 26 regular shows. They'll be like normal episodes, but tinier... and probably more experimental or specific.

$30,000: At 30K, we'll pay someone to create a sweet-rear end new podcast theme for us. Someone awesome.

$36,000: If we make it to 36K, we'll each have the means to produce regular, high-quality Retronauts video projects for our currently unused YouTube channel.

$42,000: At 42K, we'll run two 24-hour livestreams for charity -- shows we'll produce in addition to our previously promised content. Also, the funding you contribute to reach this stretch goal over the previous one will be used as charitable donations to get the ball rolling.

$52,000: This tier will cover our travel expenses to three events throughout the year for live Retronauts panels -- pending venue approval, of course. Will we be at PAX? Classic Gaming Expo? Who knows! But we hope to see you there.

$60,000: We'll create a Retronauts book -- or maybe more than one? We'll see! We will try to get our work produced by an actual publishing house, but failing that we'll self-publish.

$72,000: We'll transform retronauts.com from a mere blog into a legit website, with professional design, cool tech, forums, and other community-facing stuff.

$85,000: All of the stuff above happens again for a second year, possibly a third, with no need for additional fundraising.

$100,000: Hugs for everyone!? (Pending hug approval.)

They all seem pretty reasonable.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Urdnot Fire posted:

74k is more backers than most projects outside of DFA, too.

It was basically the same number as pledged for Eternity. It'd be interesting to see how much overlap there was between the two groups, I suspect that they'd be essentially the same. Perhaps 73-74k is just the limit of people willing to pledge for a fantasy CRPG two years out.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Any others?

The Guns of Icarus Online people are apparently on their third. Though, as far as I can tell, they always started their next one after the previous game had been released.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 6, 2013

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Orzo posted:

Procedurally generated. Metroid. These two things just don't mix.

This developers are clearly very talented and it could be a great game, I just wish they wouldn't describe it as 'metroid-like'. Here is a great article showing why metroid is light years away from ever being procedurally generated--the amount of thought and careful crafting that goes into even the most mundane aspects of Metroid requires either a human or an AI system that doesn't exist yet.

I think you're being overly picky. The first thing I thought of when I saw that game was Castlevania. They're not saying 'This is not-Metroid Metroid', they're saying 'This is Metroid-like'. And look at it, it absolutely is. Of course it has some differences, and I would probably have gone with 'Castlevania-like', but yeah, either seems like a totally fair description.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Orzo posted:

What do you mean 'look at it, it absolutely is?' That's not much of an argument and I totally disagree that it looks anything like Metroid. And it's not like I'm picking out some lone sentence halfway through their pitch; it is literally the only game they compare it to in their main statement at the top of the page!

Haha. Fair point, I guess I was just expecting people to see what I see when looking at it, what I was specifically talking about was this.

Personally, I can't think of anything but Metroid when I see it. But the fact that the main character uses a sword, damage numbers pop up, and it's on a 2D plane (edit: obviously they're both on a 2D plane) is much more Castlevania feeling.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 13, 2013

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I don't know. It definitely still feels Metroid(or Castlevania)-like to me. It seems to have all the hallmarks of those games apart from the planned progression. And I'd say that definitely makes it a Metroidvania, and by proxy, Metroid-like. But ultimately, we're really just arguing about semantics. It is what it is.

And sorry if I came across a bit confrontational, Orzo, I wasn't meaning to be!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

grrarg posted:

The multi-player going towards a dead end? Yeah, maybe since it is only about the combat. Most backers don't care about that though, judging by the backlash at how long it took them to switch focus from the multi-player.

The single-player game should be fine, whenever they finish it. The story, caravan management, travel, and general King of Dragon Pass-ness of it should make up for the simplicity of combat.

Plus they're saying there'll be more classes than there are in Factions in the single player game. Viking mages and more upgrade routes, as I remember. So even the combat will be 'deeper'.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

RottenK posted:

I'm not paying until they allow me to side with :ussr:

That was my first thought, which probably means I won't be pledging, because it certainly seems like they're into fighting the good capitalist fight. But I just want to enable Cuba 2, dammit! Perhaps they'll have a Red Alert-esque second campaign as a stretch goal if they get that far, but I'm not holding out much hope.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Apparently, there's going to be a successor to River City Ransom coming to an unnamed croundfunding site at some point this summer.

The nostalgia train chugs on.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yodzilla posted:

So...ex-Silcon Knights people? I'm guessing Denis Dyack isn't involved.

I hope not... I love Eternal Darkness, but no way is my money going anywhere near this project if Dyack has his hands on it.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Unormal posted:

Government science grants and military funding should move to a kickstarter model.

There's already this for science funding. I have no idea how successful it has been though.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The new Banner Saga update just came out. This is definitely the thing that's made me most excited about the game since the kickstarter ended. It sounds like they really get it.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Saoshyant posted:

I said that because they were making it sound like the most unique idea to ever hit gaming. And all of it aside the aging has been done by a game that came out last year.

I don't know that they're really selling it as this incredible new idea, I got the impression that they're attempting to sell it as something new for them as a studio. They straight up say it was inspired by things like Fire Emblem, FFT and XCOM in the text.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah, some people seem cold on some of their stuff, others love it, and it's rarely the same people for each game, it seems. I personally really enjoyed Iron Brigade, and the lead designer Brad Muir is just an incredibly enjoyable person worth backing. And while this game's genre isn't dead or anything, I love tactical turn based games and this one seems real neat.

Yeah. I thought I was tapped out on Kickstarter, but this really is my kind of game, and I'm willing to go in on the lowest tier to just support Muir.

Edit:

Bobo the Red posted:

Massive Chalice seems like it has a way worse set of reward tiers than Broken Age. The game is more expensive, there are less tiers below $100, the 100 dollar reward is worse....

Presumably it's because they seriously underfunded themselves with Broken Age, and they don't want to make the same mistake again.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

cheetah7071 posted:

A cross between Fire Emblem and King of Dragon Pass where you get to do selective breeding Eugenics is quite possibly the best game idea I've ever heard of in my entire life.

The concept strongly reminds me of Agarest: Generations of War but without the dating sim elements. It was basically FFT with a story that spanned over several generations where you play the previous characters' children. (That said, it was a terrible game. Don't play it.)

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

emoticon posted:

It kind of reminds me of that goon kickstarter game that was not that great (banner something?)

Banner Saga? It's not out yet. Later this year. The free to play thing they put out last year ruffled some feathers though, yeah.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah I backed it for $20, but the fact that's it been several days and we still don't have a sizable update explaining the game some more isn't very good on DF's part.

If they've not given me anything more concrete by the end of the week, I'm probably going to pull my pledge. Whether or not it's true, it just makes it look like they have no actual plans and are completely unprepared.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

grrarg posted:

Welp Massive Chalice hit the goal without doing another update. Hopefully they'll release more information today.

Yep. From the comments:

Double Fine posted:

Woah! We just woke and it looks like we made it past the goal in the night! AMAZING! Thank you all for your support and trust! It's incredibly humbling! We'll have an update today! :D!

It just remains to see how much information they're willing to give.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Here's that Massive Chalice update people were waiting for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD9d7tgR0Yk

Brad, I like you, I really do. But you're making it hard for me to give you money here.

I see what they're going for, but I think that trying to make a virtue of the looseness of the idea they're pitching is a risky move and I'd go as far as to say that the whole 'no stretch goals' thing is a bad idea. What's worse is that I'm sympathetic to the reasoning behind it. If I'm funding a game because I like the concept, I don't want to tie the hands of the creators, but I have a horrible feeling that without tangible goals they'll just end up getting less money overall.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I would say that it wouldn't work as a pitch, but thus far it's worked at as a pitch to the tune of close to $800,000, so what do I know?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Basic Chunnel posted:

Of the 14 different things that Brutal Legend tried to be, "strategy game" was by far the weakest.

But Brutal Legend was a faux-RTS, not a turn based game. I imagine that means it's not directly comparable. I agree that that stupid RTS stuff completely ruined all my enjoyment of Brutal Legend when they brought it in though...

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

If they're that worried, just make it so everyone can have children with each other. This is a world of immortal kings, in comparision, two people of the same sex having a child together is an insignificant change from real life. They could obfuscate the process so all the homophobes in the audience don't have to worry about catching the gays.

I think there could in an interesting game made about medieval politics where you have to force people into political marriages against their will for the good of the kingdom, as part of it, but that sounds like a far too dark a concept for this game.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Krabkolash posted:

Note that this is flexible funding, so wait until its funded if you're at all interested. Otherwise you're just throwing money away if it doesn't get funded.

Yeah. Had they have been fixed funding they'd already have my money, I love KoF, but with flexible no way am I giving any money to them until their over the goal.

It would be interesting to see some stats to see if flexible funding projects make less, I strongly suspect they do.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Saoshyant posted:

Yatagarasu has been on a lull for a good while now. I thought that after the success of Skullgirls and the fact the Yatagarasu guys are listening to feedback (they decided that the community was right about licensing GGPO instead of trying to re-invent the wheel) would have meant faster funding than this.

Speaking of Yatagarasu, I hadn't noticed until I went back to the page that one of the backgrounds prominently features a giant tongue being impaled by a nail. That's... weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Here's the press release for Project Phoenix. I bolded the only important part.

The Marketing Department posted:

Players will follow the story of the amnesiac angel, Ruffles, who has landed in the world of Azuregard and encounters the troubled Templar, Marcus Stern. Together with the elven princess Sylrianah, who is reserved but curious to see the world beyond the forest, and Zarum the Lost, a battlemage with his own internal conflicts , they form an unlikely bond. These four heroes must discover their place in a world brought to war by misunderstanding and ignorance, and perhaps ultimately even save it from itself.

Project Phoenix is a sprawling adventure where you will travel and battle enemies across Azuregard. The game departs from traditional RPG conventions through its use of RTS elements, yieldinga combat system that is fast-paced and dynamic. Furthermore, players can have their characters interact with environmental terrain featuers, be it rope bridges or boulders, to create tactical advantages.

One of the main characters is an angel called Ruffles. :allears: