Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Well google doesn't bring up anything about Hiroaki Yura outside of the Phoenix website so it looks like he has no significant prior experience in game design, chalk that up as a red flag if you like.

Scratch that, he's actually a professional violinist who's using this to make the jump from videogame music directing to videogame project directing. Not sure if that's better or worse.

I wonder if there'll be a tier for just the soundtrack... It sounds like that'll probably be a pretty safe bet, what with him directing and Uematsu composing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

When I wrote that I was thinking of the thing the Victorians wore, I didn't even know it was a brand of crisps in the US, but this is even better.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Looks a bit like the Horde RPG section of Warcraft 3 - Frozen Throne. Got to agree that not naming your lead programmer but going on about what an awesome high tier dude he is is pretty funny.

That's what I was thinking. The one where you control a troll in the vaguely pacific coastline like area. I have enough nostalgia for that that I'll willing to reserve one of the cheapest early bird tiers until they release some more information in updates and I have to decide one way or the other.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The press coverage of Project Phoenix upsets me. All the articles just read like press releases. Not in one of articles that I read was it mentioned that Yura is a violinist turned game designer. I mean, it's a risk I'm willing to take, but I suspect that if a lot of people knew that, it wouldn't be a risk they were willing to.

I don't even know why I was expecting anything different... but you'd think that perhaps, perhaps games journalists might drop the marketing spin when it comes to the reporting of kickstarters, which are inherently risky ventures in a way that most of the stuff they report on completely isn't. Surely the job of the press in that situation is to give people an accurate assessment of the risk and let them make their own mind up? If we wanted an unfiltered view of the positives, we could just go to the Kickstarter page.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

They just put out an update with a link to an interview explaining what the game actually is too. The whole interview is well worth a read if you have any interest in Project Phoenix at all. But the short version is that it's basically a squad based RTS, where you control several squads without the ability to build more units in a battle. Yura explicitly references the hero missions in Warcraft, where you have a set number as units, as an inspiration. In fact, the whole game sounds very much like Warcraft III's campaign expanded out to give you more freedom, which is something I can get behind. That said, honestly, I'm here more for the music and art than the gameplay in this case.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Judas Iscaredycat posted:

I've wanted to see an east/west collaboration on an RPG for a long time, but not everything in that interview fills me with confidence. I mean the guy straight up says he thinks the (non-interactive) story is more important than the gameplay mechanics. The game will probably still be worth playing, but it's not going to be the shot in the arm that jRPGs need.

I'm not sure I disagree with him entirely. In a lot of the most lauded Final Fantasy games, the mechanics are, at least, bad. I'm not going to defend VIII, but VII, a game that I'd argue is mechanically very weak, is my favourite mainly because of the story, atmosphere and music. That said, I agree that this very probably isn't going to be the game that resurrects the entire genre.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Great Rumbler posted:

The problem isn't a breadth of story, it's a breadth of story that's really bad.

I think that's a criticism you could level against games generally. JRPGs do tend to have extra baggage in that they fill themselves with otaku pandering, but the ones that do that are generally simultaneously bad in most other ways, so they're pretty easy to avoid.

EDIT: I guess I'm making the 'most things in most forms of media are really bad' argument. You just try to dig up the stuff in each group that's actually good. Your Planescapes or Niers or Super Mario 64s.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Aug 18, 2013

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I hate backer only updates, it's just dumb at every level.

I don't agree with that. It's a valid choice. Why shouldn't the creator favour the people who believed in their project? The PR for the people who didn't care enough to get in early can start later. The updates purely to backers aren't (normally) PR spin in the traditional sense. The creator can show the backers stuff that they wouldn't normally release to the public for fear of bad reactions, look at things like the DoubleFine documentary.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The Banner Saga guys are going to do a lets play of the start of their game starting on Saturday with people voting on choices. It'll probably be good fun. After all, Chewbot's got form. I won't be going near it for fear of spoilers, but if people want to see where they've got to, that's happening.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Delusibeta posted:

No, there's a PSP game about dating Keiji Inafune's (fictional) cousin.

Or, more specifically, you being said (female) cousin and (romantically) chasing after a bunch of men while trying to prevent a pig blowing up the theme park you're trapped in. It's called Sweet Fuse and Aksys published it in the west. Including on UMDs, the nutters.

I thought that he did the one where you date pigeons...

EDIT: A cursory google tells me that wasn't him.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Doflamingo posted:

Welp, I said I wouldn't pledge to Project Pheonix but then I saw that the director is the same guy behind Valkyria Chronicles so there goes $20.

Sorry to disappoint you, but he did the music for Valkyria Chronicles. It's not like he was the lead designer or anything. The ideas for Project Phoenix sound pretty good thus far, but it's definitely a risky backing proposition. I'm sure something'll come out the other end, but whether it'll be worth playing... I'm basically just backing it for the soundtrack, and if the game is pretty good too that's a bonus.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Rinkles posted:

Wasn't he only in charge of the musical performance? As far as I know Sakimoto was the composer.

Oh, you're right. He's even more tangentially related to the project then.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Heavy neutrino posted:

Phoenix looked fishy to me mostly due to its initial asking price. $100,000 dollars for a team of ~12 veterans to develop a game over one year and a half? What kind of wonderland budgeting is that?

The idea is that they're not taking a salary from the Kickstarter takings and will make their money off the royalties. Presumably they have savings they're going to live off.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I'm actually surprised at how slow the funding for Project Phoenix has been. You figure a bunch of jRPG nerds would have plunked down cash as soon as they heard 'Uematsu', but it's got less money on it in three weeks than Mighty 9, which hasn't been up for three days. I guess the goal is smaller ($100,000 for Project Phoenix vs $900,000 for Mighty 9), but still.

I guess we'll never get to fight INSIDE THE KRAKEN. :saddowns:

There's less nostalgia for one, and an unproven team. Kickstarter has proven again and again that people are willing to throw down stupid amounts of money to relive the things they liked when they were younger. Mighty 9 has the nostalgia factor in spades along with the original designer, Project Phoenix has nothing but good intentions and Nobuo Uematsu. Even so, with the upswing that comes in the final days, 1,000,000 is still possibly achievable, so we may yet get to fight INSIDE THE KRAKEN, whatever that means.

I'm more upset they won't get that orchestra and side stories, because if there was ever a game that needed a real orchestral soundtrack, it would be the one with hundreds of composers on staff and directed by an orchestra manager.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Sep 2, 2013

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

In 'this kickstarter continues to be mismanaged horribly' news, Project Phoenix has announced PS4 and Vita versions, which is cool. But... apparently you can get them as a backer, maybe, but it's not explained how and implies that you won't know for a while. So, good luck knowing how much to pledge!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Great Rumbler posted:

I'm not sure when exactly they were added, but they weren't there originally.

I don't really know why they bothered, they're all ludicrously optimistic. Unless they're planning to do a Star Citizen, and keep taking donations during development, but even then...

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

ExiledTinkerer posted:

I'm totally baffled on the massive stretch listing at the tail end as well unless it is their attempt at some sort of tipping of the hat as to what their post-release dev roadmap is inclined towards.

Yeah, the new 13th Legion quest line sounds like the sort of thing that could be converted into an expansion. But not saying that and just showing it is just going to make people disappointed about what they're not getting. It makes no sense from a marketing standpoint.

I'm actually pretty interested in their game, but rather than attempting to sell people on it for the last month, I've just been reduced to raising my hands in the air at their seemingly complete ineptitude. Hell, it took them three quarters of the campaign to get their Kickstarter page to the point that it should have been at the start. It just seemed like they weren't ready. I guess it's possible that they wanted to be the first Japanese kickstarted game so tried to jump No. 9, but if that is what happened, that was a terrible move. Or maybe they wanted to prove there was interest for their PS4/Vita publishing deal. Who knows?

E:

lizzyinthesky posted:

I think the worst part is where they aren't even able to talk about some of their core team members but still feel the need to brag about them. I have some vague idea of who might be the artist with the alias but surely they'd do better if they could just tell people who he is publicly.

Who do you reckon it is?

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 10, 2013

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Wendell posted:

I just wanted Phoenix to meet that stupid Kraken goal because they offered not a single word of explanation for what it was, but phrased it as though people should give a drat. That's funny.

They actually did after PayPal was included. So world maps and internal KRAKEN fighting abound.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

You never can tell with these things. I though that Sealark (by far the most risky thing I've backed) was dead for a while, then the creator put out a big update talking about the systems she's been implementing. She just updates massively intermittently. Could be that Rainfall's in a similar situation, and it's still chugging along behind the scenes.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I really hope it does. The game looks great and Matt seems like a legitimately nice chap. It's going to be tight though, either way.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

KozmoNaut posted:

:stare:

Well... That's certainly unique.

I appreciate the tonsils.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I didn't back HLD, but if it plays anywhere near as well as it looks like it does when it comes out, it's going to be fantastic.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I like the implication that there's a skill that's used to make locks. ...unless that is a skill used to make locks and there is no lock-picking.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Madoushi posted:

Is that Hisui?

I was thinking Kohaku, but yeah, you'd think one of the two of them must be the inspiration for that.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

CrookedB posted:

In that case, I'd rather Obsidian did a visual novel. Anything is better than The Walkind Dead-style QTE "combat", in my opinion.

I suspect this wasn't a serious request. But I'd absolutely play/read an Avellone penned visual novel.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I hope, for the sake of basic decency, this is more Hetalia, and less actual WWII. But yeah, I can barely comprehend the existence of the game as a whole. I mean, who thought, 'I really wish Hitler was a hot girl I could have sex with'?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Sethmaster posted:

I only see videos of the multiplayer and it seems the combat is quite dull and lacking in various things to do.

I love tactics games but based on those videos I am now unsure.

The combat in what little I played of Factions was quite good. But admittedly, I didn't play too much, I've been mainly waiting for the single player. The dynamic where you maim everyone, then start picking them off once everyone has been weakened into impotence was, I thought, pretty interesting.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Bieeardo posted:

Hype, but so's just about any other complex Kickstarter project. There's goon involvement, which was a huge boost here. Their promo graphics and mock-ups were pretty much second-to-none when they hit early Kickstarter, which definitely boosted appeal. A lot of games benefited from that first big rush at the site, when people would toss money at anything that looked interesting. People were a lot more apt to take pitches and promises at face value, and inject their own hopes and assumptions into the cracks. Not that they aren't still, but at least we've seen enough high-profile failures, vanishing acts and just plain disappointments to develop some degree of criticism here.

The weird thing is they've not really done anything to deserve the cynicism. In fact, of all the kickstarters I've backed, this and Project Eternity definitely seem the most together. Will the game be any good? No idea. But I'm at least hopeful. It all seems to be coming together well, and they've been saying the right things in the run up to launch.

And even if it's terrible:

grrarg posted:

Even if combat ends up sucking in The Banner Saga, the art and music are going to be amazing.

Seriously, listen to the opening on horn under the voice over in this video. :allears:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

Hasn't it taken entirely too long to come out and is just the first part?

It made 7 times the amount of money than was originally asked for. I think a delay should have been expected. I'm sure I heard somewhere that you can't change delivery dates on Kickstarter after the campaign starts. As for just the first part, they claim it's a complete game with a beginning, middle and end, designed to stand on its own even if the other parts never get made. But we'll see about that, I guess.

e: fb

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Illessa posted:

Coincidentally that cue was just put up on Bandcamp as one of the preview tracks for the OST honestly between the poster, soundtrack and art book I'm likely to be pretty happy even in the event that the game entirely sucks (and I don't think it will, my expectations are just somewhat tempered compared to when I first heard the concept). But then I'm a massive Austin Wintory fangirl.

I like the preview tracks he's put up. It's not really what I was expecting though. More dissonant. No Tree Grows to the Sky particularly sounds like something that Dead Can Dance would have written.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

People who backed The Banner Saga for under $25 can now get their keys from Stoic's website. You have to login to the forums then there's three options at the top, 'What's New?', 'Forums' and 'Kickstarters', click 'Kickstarters' and there's an option under those three in the page that loads called 'Download Game'. It's there. I assume that you have to sign up with the address you used to back the Kickstarter, and hell, this'll probably come out in an update later tonight, but here's a heads up.

For those of us who backed at $25 or higher, we're getting our keys as soon as they get the special edition keys from Steam, which should be sometime in the next 24 hours.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The first couple of Banner Saga reviews are out. To paraphrase, it's good, but not incredible.

Edit: Okay, make that divisive.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 14, 2014

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yodzilla posted:

That still sounds pretty drat decent. Can't wait to give it a try.

Yeah, the whole thing has always sounded pretty much like my dream game from the beginning. I have no doubt I'll enjoy it, it's just whether I'll feel I'll be able to recommend it to other people or not.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

epitasis posted:

Banner Saga is really excellent and actually seems to have a lot in common with Expeditions: Conquistador which to this point is the Best Kickstarter Game. The strategy combat is interesting enough but not so complex as to overwhelm or be a chore; the overworld is the fun part with lots of (what appear to be) choices to make and characters to meet/save/kill/etc..

The story's pretty great too. I don't know how much it depends on your choices, but for me it really ramped up midway through Chapter 3 and hasn't really stopped up to the end of Chapter 4.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

MonsieurChoc posted:

Like all things in life, it was more complicated than that. For example, the Order of the Hatchet was a fully recognized knightly order of women in 12th-century Catalonia.

I fully admit to being no expert in the topic, but I'd always got the impression that they were very much the exception.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Rinkles posted:

Oh my god, they're still accepting money after reaching $37 million [thirty seven million dollars]?

The funding only ends when the universe is fully simulated to the quantum level.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yodzilla posted:

So this Kickstarter hasn't even started yet but The Chainsaw Incident looks pretty drat decent: http://www.thechainsawincident.com/

Something about that reminds me hugely of BlazBlue.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

miguelito posted:

Because "W-we were just kidding about those stretch goals, actually we'll just throw it in no matter what. PLEASE give us tbe money" gives me total confidence they were being honest about their budget in the first place.

More worrying, the whole thing has just made them really look really inept. At this point, I don't trust them at all, and in fact, I pulled my pledge. It annoys me, because I really like Matsuno, but the company he's working with doesn't look like it knows what the hell it's doing.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Good thing they're never going to make it, then?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I know it's a joke, but the $200000 Frog Fractions stretch goal is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I broke down and pledged based on that picture Fedule. Well played.

Edit: But not $1.7K unfortunately.