Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Gearhead posted:

I am listening to all my Protomen music.

But Light Up The Night is on particularly heavy rotation right now.

I really hope The Protomen can get involved with the music on Mighty No. 9. Hype for the project would explode if Inafune allowed them to make official Not Megaman tunes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Has this or the bad kickstarter thread already talked about Project Nimbus yet? The fact they're asking so little to finish what already looks like a decent Armored Core in the Sky game makes me probably more hopeful than I should be about its final result. But since they've already blew past their funding goal, it shouldn't be too much to hope for Nimbus to be a dark-horse Mecha success story, right?

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 13, 2014

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

CottonWolf posted:

I really don't know how you respond to the video for this. I can't even tell if I liked it or not. Either way, it's probably worth two minutes of your time to watch.

Oh now this is just cheating. It's too uncomfortably familiar to ignore with that drat Earthbound-esque presentation. :(

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Yeah, this needs to be on the front page and may possibly be the most important thing ever about kickstarter. Hopefully they'll find a way to monetize YouTube and other video sites, but this is such a brilliantly simple good cause.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

You make that money, Gordi La Forge. You raise literacy rates and I don't care how much you extort out of the internet. In a world of Barbarosa and Steam Greenlight-esque low fruit projects, this deserves to kill every petty terrible video game idea it can.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
So they have a video response up of the RR group just losing their minds in clocking the funding time. $1,000,000 for kids reading in 11 hours.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, the joke only works for the legion of video-game idea gold rushers and probably every internet celebrity game. Kickstarter is much more harmless and forgivable when its just your garden variety art or local pet project.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Brutal Legend would have been better as two separate games in the same heavy metal world. I powered through most of the band parts, but I'd rather just most of the game be about riding in your bone wagon and beating the poo poo out of freaks with your axe/riffs.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

And its already over 110,000. Looks like we're going to have another funded and then some game on our hands.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

It's already over 130k. It's going FAST.

It had the right amount of blind goodwill and nostalgia to get everyone on board the bandwagon without really trying. Well, besides the fact that they at least shown off they animated some levels and the characters to a certain point. I wonder how far this will go before the day's over.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
And Yooka-Laylee is funded. Jesus Christ.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I dunno about that kickstarter, the game seems to be well into development, and it looks like its already getting funding from somebody. I think that whether the project succeeds or not won't really make a difference.

Is it bad that they at least brought something you can play to the table and likely worked out contingency plans ahead of time before the kickstarter? I'm not saying you're wrong, I just thought it was a bit refreshing that they have something of a game instead of just a broad promise.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Who the hell would be trying to kickstart another 3d Larry game?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Considering the canceling of MML3 was what set them down the path of MN9, this is a dumb beyond dumb. They've burned out the copy of the game that got people mad enough to give money to 9.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Remember when nearly everybody was riding the Comcept "gently caress you, dad!" wave where we were delighted to see them troll Capcom?

Those were good times.

Good times. :(

They can recover from this if they actually try to turn MN9 into a successful game, really work their asses off for Red Ash or build up other games before they try Kickstarter again, but goddamn have their ruined the wave of goodwill they had 2 years ago.

Toxxupation posted:

The big lesson I've learned from double fine, comcept, etc is that publishers are actually totally necessary and force developers to actually output a finished and complete product within a designated timeframe

Some people can work without the structure or need to get out of the grasp of morons like Konami in order to develop the games they can and want to do if there is a market from them. However, the system definitely has its uses and not every old developer or young gun is Koji Igarashi or Harebrained Schemes. Many still need a publisher to hound them into doing their goddamn job or someone who understands what a game needs to give them useful suggestions.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Aug 16, 2015

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

al-azad posted:

Especially considering they're talking about an SNES and TG16 version of the game which, uh, definitely aren't compatible hardware and would require two separately developed games.

Also it's not reassuring when your "gameplay" is 2 seconds superimposed on a 3D rendering of a 3DS.

And they should probably clean up their youtube page. Is this the game they're making? I don't know, no gameplay is shown on the Kickstarter page.

Man, I can't remember the last KS that tried to appeal to nostalgia this hard. And it's not even popular nostalgia, it's this 80s anime that existed in the shadow of Voltron.

And yet the Mysterious Cities of Gold game got funded and translated into several languages, however, that show was still going around the time of its funding and release. There could be a remote chance it gets the basic funds for the title down, but Saberrider seems to have been through too much trouble already before the KS even began that I'm not quite sure if even nostalgia can save it.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Yodzilla posted:

Biker Mice From Mars are back!!!

...in crowdfunded mobile game form. Seriously that show sucked, why http://indiegamemag.com/rev-up-the-90s-nostalgia-the-biker-mice-from-mars-ride-again/

:thumbsup:

It's funny that no one has any confidence in all the Me-Too animal super hero groups that tried to ride on the original Turtle Mania's coat tails. Particularly when this one already had a failed 2006 revival.

Can't wait for the Street Sharks kickstarter.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Only true believers and idiots can see the Fig website. If you can't open your heart to funding likely terrible scams, the gates to crowdfunding will remain closed to you.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Kibayasu posted:

No, its the part that is tangentially involved with Tim Schafer.

Uh, excuse me, but that also includes Brian Fargo!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

How are people liking Armikrog? I didn't back it and didn't follow the development of the game at all but I gave it a try for half an hour and it feels like a beta that got pushed onto the storefront by accident - I've been having frequent audio issues as well as issues with stuff in the options screen not appearing which make it a chore to play, and it sounds like I'm not the only one. The game itself seems like it'd be fine if it worked properly, so I hope they get their poo poo together.

(Also, what's with the godawful video compression? Why bother making awesome high-res clay art if you're just gonna gross up all the cutscenes?)

So far it doesn't seem to have lost any of the claymation magic despite how the creator's become bit of a jerk, but the entire game just drops you in and expects you to figure out what you can solve now, where you can go to and which puzzles need to be solved in order to know if progression or a solution is available. Also a bit of a drat pixel hunter in figuring out if you can talk to something or not. But At least Mike Nelson is good as tommienaut and he quips with his dog buddy so it isn't just a void of silence. And the soundtrack is great.

But in better news, three more days until Read Only Memories shows us how snatcher it can get.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 2, 2015

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Anime is immortal?!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Still don't want to give money to fig for a game, but I still want Psychonauts 2 or a Psychic Spy game. I'll probably buy it when it comes out, but I don't want to ride the crowd funding train with you again, Schaffer. You have enough size to work with/be a regular publisher again at this point.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I bought my ticket and am ready to take the ride that is Shenmue 3 sometime in 2019.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

al-azad posted:

Speaking of Undertale, weird looking Earthbound-ish RPG Omori hasn't updated in 3 months. 7 if you're not a backer.

They've apparently gone silent before because they were shifting their work to the new RPG maker format but that doesn't excuse them for once again loving to just fall off the face of the earth without a peep about anything.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
It looks more like that weird Edgar Alan Poe Claymation game. Only with JRPG text brackets and talking sprites.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Holy poo poo, OMOCAT made a paltry update?! The backer news wasn't that more informative other than "I am focusing on the game", "We're aiming for a release in 2016" and "Please check out our website for updates, if not for a possible new trailer coming soon". So maybe another depressing Earthbound Like will release this year. Maybe.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I liked Tearaway but that's about it.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Still sad that Consortium the Tower will likely die before hitting 100,000.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Can't the ark person just go seek therapy instead of a kickstarter for a kickstarter? And wait, wasn't the Ark artists already involved in that Africa themed RPG or was that this one as well?

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 24, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I thought the initial return investment for these projects was getting the game on top of swag for more money? Which of the initial kickstarter gold-rush backers envisioned or wanted to be shareholders for a dream game?

I guess something like Fig was going to be inevitable; trying to dig some sort of sustainable reservoir for crowdfunding where it can still happen as some sort of risk venture video game bond market instead of just letting the enthusiasm or belief in the system dry up for a few years/decades after people either get too burned or bored by KS games. However, I just don't see how Fig is going to be successful in that way. If anything they just seem like they're going to accelerate or make the crowdfunding bubble burst even worse.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Megazver posted:

Click the 'i' button next to the bar.

Who are the 178K investment sugar daddies then, the dev team taking out a loan? Also what the hell use would I have for three 10% off codes for other Rook level potential backers?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Honestly, I've wondered why there isn't a JRPG/Earthbound inspired game about creating some wrestler/super hero and making a media career out of that personality while still doing your job of fighting evil in and out of the ring.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Chairchucker posted:

They didn't, though.

They're kind of like cicadas. They bury under the earth for decades and then come up again and are still kind of ugly and weird to everyone who doesn't like them, but they'll always be around sooner or later.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Here it is, the Project Rap Rabbit you were all hoping to see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk56CFGhrew

Seriously, has there ever been an "oh poo poo we launched a KS with nothing to show, better make something mid-campaign to save the campaign"-type demo that has ever worked to sell people on the game?

Uh, Romero wanted that as well.

That red sand thing that the people behind MN9 tried to do before they released their first KS game? It's loving shame because I really would like for this to be good, but I guess Rap Rabbit and any other Parapa style game is dead for now.

Unless someone pulls an Isometric RPG where the spells and Ways of Old are all Hip-hop and Gangsta Rap. Like a future so weird and unnatural that classical western art music has returned as the style of the times and to enjoy a dope beat you gotta rap battle for your right to rhyme.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Mr Underhill posted:

I think the only thing I really dislike about TB is his complete disregard for adventure games. No, it's not just rubbing things on other things, John!

...Okay, maybe it is a little, but you're being a big meanie about it.

Is he the obnoxious limey that also made his own obtuse adventure game or was that Yatzee?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I finally got a alpha copy of CONSTORIUM: The Tower and what little you can do around the roof of the building is looking okay. There's a a lot of missing content that you can't play with yet, but the flight suit is kind of baller once you figure out how to use it. There's a lot of hidden stuff that I have no idea how to intentionally find and combat's kind of poo poo with the current build, but hopefully that'll change quickly now that alpha keys are out.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Did this thread already laugh at Gearbox potentially killing a indie game by pulling another Bulletstorm $60 price-tag on a game that isn't worth that much money? Because its pretty depressing that an indie team unfortunately picked the worst publisher to try and pull of some exorbitant AAA price tag and flimsy per-order shenanigans, a whopping 15% percent off for the low price of $50.99, for a crowdfunded indie game that should have stuck around $20. Even when you succeed as far as actually making your indie game in some reasonable form and your game is at least going to be released, there are ways to fail and that is letting the likes of gearbox gouge as much as they can get to pay off Randy's needs.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah the core concept of the game is absolutely brilliant and the first few minutes are extremely compelling. But then it just becomes a bunch of running around doing fetch quests waiting for something in the world to update.

Not to mention how easily you tired out or got hungry or thirsty. Exploration was a total drag in the early EA build I played because you always had to go back to your little hide out without anyway I knew of expanding to another hide out or crafting some coffee to stave off being tired every 3-6 minutes.

And even if they actually need money, that doesn't really justify needing that money to pay off their Collector's Edition Swag feeds. Like I'm pretty sure that is entirely on Gearbox's fault.

I'm going to feel guilty for funding them back in their KS days if other people gotta pay like 60 euro if it isn't as polished as it should be, but maybe the current build's different. I'll need to check how far they've come now.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Welp, Omori got a demo for its backers. I'm probably not in a good state to play depressing games, but I'm willing to see what they have so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Accordion Man posted:

It's not exactly what you're looking for, but Disco Elysium is a detective RPG where you supposedly will be able to play in multiple different detective styles. RPS likened some of them to classic Sherlock, Agent Cooper, and Columbo.

If that is true I'm definitely gonna try to roll a Columbo build first.

I still like its old name better, No Truce with the Furies sounded so slick.