Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

the black husserl posted:

Because he said the game would be out in fall 2011 and its never coming out. He took the money.

My point is that people taking the money and doing nothing isnt hurting kickstarter
I don't even see why you brought it up, it's a totally different scale from the kickstarters this thread is about. This guy took 200 people for about $8500. Do you really think the fallout would be the same if one of these kickstarters with thousands of backers and $100,000+ totals did the same? I don't think it would ruin kickstarter or anything, but it would probably wake people up to the idea that you're really just pledging money for a promise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Occupation posted:

I have a lot of reasons I dislike it:

1) Most importantly, it's non-binding.

2) 5% of a product's profits is a (potentially) incredibly large amount of cash.

Especially with projects on the razor's edge of being funded, like Auditorium: Duet, I'd rather the individuals reinvest those profits back into more infrastructure or keep it as liquid cash.

3) Kickstarter is a marketplace of ideas, not a charity.

4) Companies who don't opt in will be bitched out for not opting in.

Stoic is already being criticized on its page for not "Kicking it Forward". I see that trend continuing, and it'll obfuscate the point of what Kickstarter is meant to accomplish. Personally, I feel like Stoic has a great pitch video and an awesome reward system in place, and they shouldn't be detracted for, essentially, not buying into a charity system.
1) It's non-binding in pretty much the same way kickstarter is non-binding. So far as I know, backers have no recourse if the project fails or never produces. The only lasting effect is that people are going to be way less likely to back projects by a company that fails to carry through with its promises.

2) If 5% ends up being a huge amount of cash, I really don't see how it would hurt the originator of the project to push it back into other projects. It's entirely up to the people behind the project to define "profits" anyway, I doubt anyone is going to do it in such a way that it guts their ability to do another project. Also if 5% of their profits ends up being 50 bucks, well I hate to tell you but it isn't the kick it forward idea that's ruining them.

3) It's kind of both. I mean, a lot of these games offer fabulous prizes for donation tiers, but lots of projects also have a bottom tier with no real reward if you just want to donate. Besides, it's totally voluntary to make the pledge, and it wouldn't really affect my desire to pledge if I see the logo either way.

4) People will bitch about anything. The Banner Saga is is sitting at 3x it's funding goal right now, I think they'll be alright. Besides, they've already backed other projects which, if you care about that kind of thing, should mean more than a logo and a pledge anyway.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Occupation posted:

That's my complaint. To me, it feels like this entire campaign is a way for Brian Fargo to get people to spend more money on the W2 Kickstarter over any attempt to effect positive change.

I'm really glad that Chewbot and co made the specific point that they back other projects- that's what I want to hear from project proposers, not some sticker on their project page pledging to do something both impossible to define or verify.

I wouldn't have cared if Brian Fargo wrote a whole article about how, hey, since all funded projects only exist due to Kickstarter, project proposers should maybe reinvest the money back into other KS projects that interest them. He could've even thrown around nonsense numbers like "5% of profits", whatever that means, too. It's when he crossed the line into a campaign, complete with snappy logo, that ends up pressuring other projects to join and doesn't actually accomplish anything verifiable is when it started to irk me, especially since the whole campaign smells of being Wasteland 2 PR.
Fair enough. Frankly, I had the same thought you did. The whole campaign just feels like Fargo trying to get some good PR (and money) for his kickstarter as well as getting to say "I totally started this good idea!". It would've felt way less douchy if he had waited until his kickstarter was over to announce the idea. That said, I still think it's a good idea and I hope, if nothing else, it encourages other projects to push some of their profit back into the system that helped them. I wouldn't mind if nobody actually put the dumb logo and pledge on their kickstarter though.

edit:

KariOhki posted:

I find the whole thing kind of not well done. None of the donation tiers have the digital version (which is coming out no matter what) as a gift. The description text starts off talking about how JRPGs aren't coming out anymore blah blah
It just seems to miss the point somehow.
Hahaha, who (besides this guy) feels like JRPG fans are getting the short end of the stick these days? Especially if the definition you're using for JRPG is essentially "Be anime as gently caress", there are tons of "JRPGs" coming out. If they're using any other definition, I really don't see how a wizardry clone counts.

edit again, I just read the Class of Heroes 2 thing some more. There are 6 lines about what the "deluxe edition" will not have in it. There is one vague line about it having "awesome" stuff in it.

Dial-a-Dog fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 28, 2012

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I also really want to know how the guys behind the Class of Heroes kickstarter justify setting their goal to half a million dollars. Double Fine asked for $400,000 to make a game. These guys are asking for more than that to "expand the scope and depth of localization". This game already exists, and they've already licensed the series, they're just translating it and modifying some things and then, I guess, throwing it all in a box with some paper dolls you can play dress up with. I really want this project to fail hard because, honestly, this just feels like they're trying to take advantage of kickstarter and insult their audiences intelligence.

I'm also hoping this project failing will help stop this idea that kickstarters are glorified preorders. I want my money to go towards creating something, not adding a little to a project that will happen either way.

Dial-a-Dog fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 28, 2012

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Occupation posted:

Okay seriously that promo video is loving amazing. Everyone everywhere should check out this video, it's the best thing I've seen in a long time.
Just pledged $10 on the strength of the Tom Goes to the Mayor homage.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Takedown's about to meet met its goal. I'm a little disappointed since I was hoping it would be one of the failures that showed people kickstarter isn't just a magic money tree. It still certainly could fail, considering at this point a game kickstarter that only makes it to 100% funding is kind of weak (as far as "showing interest" goes), but I wouldn't get as much of a kick out of it seeing as people are actually getting their money taken.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I also thought it was kind of funny that they admit the funding will just bring the game to alpha, and none of the tiers offer any kind of pre-release access to the game

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Yodzilla posted:

OK I know Roberta Williams is still alive, what's the ETA on her showing up on Kickstarter.
Pretty sure she'd never use kickstarter to make a game because it would make her look like a detestable poor person

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

al-azad posted:

This is one of the concerns some people have. "Oh they reached their goal but now they're asking for more so clearly they're in it for the money!" It could happen, sure, but I have good faith the extra money is being put towards making the project better.
I don't mind it, considering most of these projects have the game itself as one of the bottom tiers. As soon as they reach their goal, they can use the rest of the money they're getting for what amounts to cheap preorders to do whatever. As long as they produce a game at the end of it, if their initial goal is indeed enough to make the game on its own, I don't have any problem with them using excess kickstarter money as profit.

edit: I mean, it's cool when they add features or platforms when they get a shitload more than they expected, but at the same time if their initial pitch/vision was enough to get 2-300% funding then it shouldn't be a big deal if they just stick to said pitch.

Dial-a-Dog fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 4, 2012

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Ah yes, oldschool RPG Maker. Who doesn't wish to return to the days of low-effort RPGs written by 13 year olds? Take all my money.
That's what I was thinking, I thought:

quote:

We feel that lately, RPG Maker creations have been forgotten ...
was a good thing. Where can I donate money to to keep RPG maker "creations" forgotten?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Oops. Well, I'm still willing to pay money for nobody to make RPG Maker games anymore