Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Ever since Schafer's success I've been waiting for the Golden Age of people asking for tons of money and delivering pure, unadulterated garbage or just straight up running with the cash.

Seriously. As someone who firmly believes no game that's sold alpha access has come close to being a complete game I just cannot believe we've reached a point where people throw money hand over fist for a handful of promises and dreams. At least with games like M&M or Minecraft you get a half finished game that you can dick around but with this it's like getting a handful of farts and pixie dust.

I'm just far too cynical for this kind of game development :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

PoisonedV posted:

That's an interesting way to interpret all that.

To the non creepy goons in this thread who aren't into creepy anime rape games, you're doing yourselves a disservice by being hyperbolic about the game. The game doesn't involve children or whatever so calling it a pedophile simulator or making stretches of logic whatever is just taking away from the fact that it's a loving game where players compete to rape women. There doesn't need to be any justification on the part of Kickstarter beyond that.

This whole thing is just an absurd product of yellow journalism and I seriously can't believe people are saying it promotes something as serious as rape, of all things.

Seriously. You can argue that they brought it on themselves by making it about tentacle monsters but really, monsters of all sorts have been kidnapping women in all kinds of medium for loving centuries and this is a satirical take on that. Hell, if the game included a faction of something like giant bugs or werewolves or whatever that was also trying to kidnap women the whole rape argument would fall flat on it's face because there's nothing in the game that points to it other than the aliens being phallic in nature.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Except this is wrong on its very face. It's making use of very specific tropes, hypersexualizing the women, and using very specific situations that all add up to heavily implied rape. This game doesn't exist in a vacuum and you have to consider what it is specifically emulating before making this statement.

I agree with the hypersexualizing but I would really appreciate if you could list these tropes and situations that make rape so glaring. Other than tentacles existing, as I mentioned.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

NINbuntu 64 posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tentacle_erotica

Tentacle rape is a pretty common theme in adult oriented anime, which is the specific style they're aping. They're also very much pushing the Japanese schoolgirl angle, which is another common theme, often bundled with tentacle rape. Even in the video at the end there's a slight nod toward the nature of what they're going for here. This game is essentially trying to make a game out of a common rape-related anime trope.

I'm sorry I said "outside of tentacles existing". Is there anything in the game pointing out that these aliens come to rape women?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Yes, and aside from my mentioning it in how they're deliberately aping an anime style alongside everything it entails and clearly making jokes about it, they also incorporate the specific kind of attractiveness the female characters exhibit as a gameplay mechanic. There's also the less than subtle winks and nods to the camera throughout the video.

I guess the devil is in the details. I still hold this is a massive overreaction when the aliens could be replaced with anything else and the actual product would be the same.