Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Quarex posted:

Also according to CLANG, they are already at $125,000. Looks like the "feeling like I am actually swinging a sword around" crowd is substantial after all.
Is this really surprising? I mean just think how big the anime-loving nerd demographic is.

And Neal's got a good point when he says that we have tons of big-budget shooters with at least moderately realistic gun action, whereas basically all games with swordfighting come down to "press A, swing sword in ridiculous over-the-top animation in a general direction".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

octoroon posted:

The thesis that 1:1 or "ultra realism" will make a game more fun is kind of dubious, though. Take Modern Warfare Part Deux Part Deux versus something like Tribes Ascend. You don't always need to add more realism to get more nuance or complexity, though occasionally it's a good starting point. I'm always kind of dubious when someone wants to "reboot" a genre or game play type by making it more of a simulator.
He's not saying that realism automatically makes a game more fun. He's just a swordfighting nerd that is disappointed that there aren't any games around with swordfighting that even attempts to come close to reality. I mean I'm sure he believes it will be more fun for him, but that's different from just saying that it will be more fun in general.

Reality can be useful to draw on though if you want to add depth to gameplay, because it's never simple, and everything tends to have inherent strengths and weaknesses. That seems to be what he's going for here; making deeper, more nuanced swordfighting by mimicking reality to the extent that it is possible in a video game.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jun 11, 2012

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

The PA kickstarter is awesome and the goonrage directed towards is hilarious because it demonstrates how dense most goons are. It's not a 'true' kickstarter because they're not working towards a real project, this is just crowdfunding so that they're not beholden to ads (read: the same devs and publishers that they are supposed to mock). Using kickstarter is just a clever way of taking advantage of kickstarter's momentum and current hype train. They wouldn't get half as much money if they just asked for donations via a button on their site.

It's just really funny how mad goons are about guys asking to run via donations from people instead of corporate money that could potentially affect their obejectivity*. Oh no, people donating to something I don't care about! How dare they!!

* ok not real objectivity, but we all know that games journalism doesn't have the best rep for being objective when ad money is in the picture and I can see how PA would want to avoid that taint.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Quest For Glory II posted:

I don't think goons are getting as mad about it as people on twitter, and jealous cartoonists.

There's already a revenge campaign.

quote:

Here's a basic rundown of the money I'm going to need for this project

$10,000 to buy the lunch date
$2,000 for a computer capable of editing HD video
$500-$700 for a decent quality video camera
$750 for gas both ways (I will be driving to Seattle)
$500 for food
$420 because I'm weedhitler, gently caress you
Ahahahaha. He's going to get his revenge on PA by convincing others to give them 10k. Brilliant.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Eh I can see why people believe it's against the Kickstarter's ToS/intent. I mean it's something that they're already doing, and content-wise almost nothing will change if the kickstarter succeeds.

quote:

I don't understand why people keep saying this. It's been posted and reposted, but just look at Kickstarter's guidelines:
The part you're missing is that that's Kickstarter's problem, not PA's (I was replying to the comments that were really mad at PA about their kickstarter, not so much the ones mad at Kickstarter themselves). Of course Kickstarter can break their own rules if they want, though it might not be a good precedent.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Ryaomon posted:

A friend of mine just brought up a good point about this Penny Arcade debacle.
On the bright side: If it's funded PA will be able to say whatever they want without fear of losing advertisers.
On the negative side: PA will be able to say whatever they want without fear of losing advertisers.
To be honest I don't think they care much about losing advertisers as it is; they have so much pull in the gaming community that they'd have to literally declare themselves Nazis or something at this point to lose their advertising. But they apparently want to care even less, that is to say, they want their caring to be effectively zero.

Also Tycho often has good commentary on the gaming industry, dense language notwithstanding.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

LuiCypher posted:

A lot of these guys (DFA, Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns, Dead State, etc.) have come out and said that they're going to take their time with development and NOT rush these games - a lot of these developers have despaired at the fact that publishers forced their games out before they were ready (Brutal Legend, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines/Every Single Troika Game Ever, KoToR 2). Ergo, they really want to take the time to polish these games and as such, are going to take at least 18 months.

Kudos to them for being so upfront about the time development needs instead of, erm, promising an entirely new console in less than a year's time.
I wonder how practical that will be when they only have a few million. That's not that much money, unless their dev teams are really small.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Castle Story and Knock-Knock both look fantastic.

It doesn't look like the main kickstarter page for Castle Story says what kind of multiplayer it will have. Does anyone know if it's co-op/competitive/both?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Shalinor posted:

It's the first example I've seen of viable 2-player gaming on an iPhone.
If you're willing to jailbreak, you can already play emulators on your iOS devices with Wiimotes, and personally I'm super stoked for this coming out later this year: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ecea/

Rikimaru posted:

I hope Project Giana gets funded. Barely over 50% with 9 days to go doesn't look too promising.
Watching the video for this game it just looked really boring to me. The visual style and music was cool; gameplay, not so much. It's possible I'm just biased against platformers that aren't momentum-based though.

edit: On second thought it may be that they were just early, simple levels. I dunno, there just wasn't anything about the gameplay that grabbed me, like, say, Castle Story.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Aug 22, 2012

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Infinitum posted:

With all the big name devs making their dream games when is George Romero going to get off his rear end, kickstart Daikatana 2, and make me his bitch?!

(I would unironically like to see this happen if for no other reason than to enjoy the media shitstorm it would generate)

Comedy option: A Duke Nukem kickstarter by 3DRealms
I believe you mean John Romero, although I dunno a George Romero-designed game might be pretty sweet.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Looks neat, except that I hate it when RPGs use a first-person perspective for battles.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Shalinor posted:

Strangely, they keep funding too. So apparently, somewhere out there is a (small, but consistent) fan base that is desperate for more cheaply made RPG Maker flurbs.
I think it's more likely that people desperately want a return to quality JRPGs in the style of the SNES era, and they're willing to take some shots in the dark to make it happen.

man I want new FF6/CT/Lufia2/SMRPG/SoM games so baaaad

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Shalinor posted:

The best Mana game in my mind is still the one that never saw US release. It was fantastic, and there's a perfect English ROM floating around.
I've played this and it is indeed an excellent game. Ended up stopping though around the first class change because I wanted to find someone else to play it with, it's just not Secret of Mana if you're doing it solo.

quote:

... that said, there have been some awesome looking indie games in that vein lately. Secrets of Grindea, most notably.

EDIT: I could have sworn that one was on Kickstarter, but - apparently not, yet.
Maybe you were thinking of greenlight? http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92916246&searchtext=

edit: Just watched the combat video on the greenlight page, the combat system in the game looks really well thought out. It sounds like the devs might be fighting game fans just based on the way they describe it.

RIP walking around at half speed for 30 seconds before attacking

Cicero fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 13, 2012

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Isn't Interstellar Marines that game that's been in development forever?

fake edit: yeah it started in 2005, not sure how I would feel about backing a game that's been in progress for so long.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Nice, but really the hardware sounds like it's the easier part of this project. I'm much more worried about the software layer. Making a new digital storefront and game distribution/management platform is hard, and around the time the kickstarter started I believe they hadn't even begun on it.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

psy_wombats posted:

Ah, yeah, not much in the way of gameplay footage yet. Hopefully when we have something decent it'll show up on the kickstarter, and there's also a tumblr/site where things should be updated more regularly.

I've personally worked on 10 or so small for-fun games, some short roguelikes with Cascade Studios, and longer games in other engines, so hopefully there's a career in it somewhere. I've worked a bit with Karim in the past but nothing especially presentable.

You're right about low cost publishing and marketing. As for the team: most of us are enthusiasts and are looking to get a good-looking game out first, something we can be proud of. Both artists are freelancers though and they need to make a living, even at reduced rates for a project like this. Myself, Karim, and Alex should be fine from what the game itself generates.

Thanks, relayed this to Alex -- his response: "I saw, I was really happy. but they aint seen nothin' yet!"
I'm interested in how you're coding this. Are you just making your own engine for it in C++?

edit: props to your artists, they've really nailed Square's look, for both in-game and concept art.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Nov 6, 2012

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

psy_wombats posted:

Essentially. It's a custom engine drawing on a lot of bits and pieces I've made for other games. There are a lot of content management tools that are new though, things that should make it easier for actual designers to get their stuff into RPGs. If all goes well, I want to release at least some of them for other hobby/indie game makers once Rainfall's completed. I could probably sperg out about the technical side of it forever but I doubt it's all that interesting to anybody.
As a coder who's always been too lazy to do make an actual game (after many false starts), it's interesting to me. :science:

On the kickstarter, your rewards seem kind of messed up. Jumping from $10 to $20 just adds being added to the credits, which is dumb, and then you get the soundtrack at $35. That means there's effectively a $25 increase to get the soundtrack; it should really be at $25 instead.

I also think you should add a $20 tier that's just two copies of the game, I'd probably get that so I can give one copy to a friend.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

neongrey posted:

I think they've set up rules against being able to do that. Of course, a 10-dollar extra-copy add-on seems fine to all appearances.
http://www.kickstarter.com/help/prohibited

quote:

In addition to our guidelines, there are some things we don't allow on Kickstarter:

Rewards in bulk quantities (more than ten of an item)

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

BexGu posted:

This is a little back, but Rainfall: The Sojourn does look pretty good but please, please put up a short video of combat/walking around/etc. It looks like you are going to reach your goal any way but I bet you would get a ton more backers if people could see how the game is animated/feels.
Chances are those images are just mock-ups and the engine is nowhere near ready yet to be shown off.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's funny, I thought the combat looked a lot better when he slowed the timescale to .5. The slower animation made everything look like there was more weight to it. Of course I've never actually been in a real sword fight so all I have to go by is movies and video games which are rarely anything close to accurate, so maybe the physics model their engine uses is actually what a real sword fight would look like! One thing I hope they can put in is visible damage on character/armour models. That fight against the big golem thing with the flail looked awesome and it seemed like it had real impact to it, but it still looked kind of odd that the guy's plate wasn't getting dented or pierced at all by these blows that were sending him tumbling to the ground.
I think the first fight looked awkward because the guy is dual-wielding swords. I'm guessing that using two full-size swords at once would be pretty impractical in real life, so it would make sense that'd also look awkward if you were using realistic physics to model the swinging.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Orzo posted:

Your reasoning makes sense, but then again if it looks better with one sword why didn't they just show that in the video? It probably looks just as awkward.
It's possible they thought that two swords was more impressive from a physics perspective, since the character would have to spontaneously compensate, balance-wise, for two mostly-independent motions. I could see the programmer guy making the video thinking this, and not considering that to the average user, it'd be more impressive for the swordfighting to look polished, since they wouldn't consider how complex it would be to handle dual wielding from a physics perspective.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

LumberingTroll posted:

I pledged (preordered) from their site over a year ago and they still don't have much to show besides their demos. I found it shocking that they did a kickstarter at all.

Unrealated but there has been talk about games which promise too much

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joshparnell/limit-theory-an-infinite-procedural-space-game?ref=live

Way more ambitious than Kinetic Void, has already made the same in pledges, and still has 25 days left, oh yeah and its being made by a one, lone college kid. :downs:
It sounds like he's a highly competent programmer, but yeah he's still likely vastly underestimating the amount of effort it takes to make a finished product.

quote:

The planned release date is Early 2014. That may seem like quite a while, but I'm not interested in making unrealistic promises, and, to be realistic, LT is going to take a lot of work. But if my work so far represents only three months, can you imagine what another year-and-some will do, especially given that much of the engine heavy-lifting is finished?
This seems to be a common error when estimating time remaining for programming projects. You get your product working with the general cases working pretty well. "Great, it's like 80% complete! Only 20% left to go!" Only then as part of that last 20%, you run into bug after bug that takes you hours, sometimes days each, to fix, even though each one seemed relatively minor at first.

"Polish" is a lot harder than it sounds, otherwise we wouldn't have this perpetual issue of games coming out that have good core gameplay, but aren't polished enough.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jedit posted:

You should stay in the US. Lead programmers there were getting $75k per annum three years ago.
Man being a coder in the games industry sucks. Brand new college hires at the big tech companies make significantly more than that.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jedit posted:

Cite, please? I dragged up some more recent numbers that indicate differently:

http://www.simplyhired.com/a/salary/search/q-lead+programmer/l-los+angeles,+ca
As Shalinor said, this is a well-known phenomenon; there's a large supply of people who want to make games because they love games, versus relatively fewer people who desperately want to make 'boring' enterprise software, so they can pay game developers less. I also have personal experience with this as I work for Amazon.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah I'm fine with simplistic art, but their style just looks terrible. It's like they took the worst aspects of The Old Republic's art and magnified them.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 1, 2012

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Orzo posted:

For me, stretch goals that dramatically alter gameplay are a big turn-off. Oh, you're going to introduce a new character class or new items? That just shows that your game has no planning, no vision. Imagine Blizzard running a kickstarter (ridiculousness of that aside, just pretend) and having a 4th race as a stretch goal. The only way that could ever happen is if it was tacked on haphazardly, and in this example's case, it might even ruin the rest of the game.
I don't think this is true at all. Well the Blizzard part maybe, but I don't see why adding more gameplay stuff has to mean that there's no planning or vision. It may just mean that the devs are aware of how large a budget they need to in order develop certain features. Or do you think Project Eternity had no planning or vision?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

ten dollar bitcoin posted:

The Burning Legion was going to be a playable race in WC3 but Blizzard ended up cutting it.
They actually were going to have six races to begin with, but I guess that turned out to be too complicated.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Blister posted:

There is a huge difference between a new race in a single-player focused game or mmo like Diablo 3/Warcraft to Starcraft 2 which has gone to great lengths to balance a competitive online scene against 3 different races with different play styles and mechanics.

Stop comparing apples to oranges
If you're aiming to be the world's premiere eSport, then yeah it's a terrible idea to cut or add races as stretch goals. For like 99% of kickstarter games, it's probably fine.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

psy_wombats posted:

Karim's decided "close enough," I think there were a few paypal pledges that hadn't resolved or something like that, but either way, there are enough funds for the additional character art for the side arc.

On that note, that went way better than we were thinking and thanks to the goons who pitched in.
Glad you guys were successful, hope the game turns out great!

edit: Hope to see you on Greenlight once you have something that looks good in motion.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Dec 6, 2012

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Arnold of Soissons posted:

This is in no way directed at you, personally, but if one isn't willing to cough up $100 out of his or her own pocket (and obviously even less for a multi-person team) then I have a hard time feeling justified kicking my money into the pot. That, as much as the terrible decisions for decades, is why I would never back Molyneux's latest vanity project.
But what if you're a dirt farmer with five kids in Zambia trying to make good on his dream to become a hotshot game developer???

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Shalinor posted:

Even the simplest Kickstarted game would require a computer, which probably cost you more than $100. Also, the $100 isn't per game - that is a flat fee to unlock the ability to list Greenlight projects. It's akin to the Xbox Indie $99 yearly fee.
I know, I was making fun of people who were really mad before about how $100 was apparently a potentially insurmountable barrier to game development.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

It seems like a lot of 2D pixel art games like Radio the Universe and Rainfall: The Sojourn have screenshots in 4:3. That's all well and good for evoking nostalgia on a kickstarter page, but I really hope they use 16:9 for the actual game. I like 16-bit sprite art as a stylistic choice, but there's no need to copy the aspect ratio as well.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

ReV VAdAUL posted:

You have to wonder why they felt that necessary given being a spiritual successor was enough to make Project Eternity a huge success. Oh well, it is good news regardless.
Obsidian is one of those companies that has a fairly sizable number of hardcore fans. The fact that Obsidian was making it was probably a bigger factor in its success than the idea of a new spiritual successor to ye olde IE games.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

quote:

Now imagine that between these War Zone battles you can go on role-playing adventures. You can explore fantastical environments. You can discover ancient dungeons full of mystery and treasure. You can earn new skills. You can discover and equip new weapons and armor. You can collect materials. You can craft new items. You can fight relentless onslaughts of men and monsters.

Wildman has fast-paced combat that tests your reflexes and deep role-playing that rewards strategic thinking. The more you play, the greater your power.
I can't wait to jump into a 1v1 and get crushed because the other guys' dudes do twice as much damage as mine.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

What is it with Sonic-style games and having such a tiny field of view? You can't possibly react to what's coming on the fly with so little room to look ahead.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Runman and Super Meat Boy both had fast, precise platforming where the camera was sufficiently zoomed out.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Shalinor posted:

I'd kind of assumed the video was zoomed in. Is that the actual resolution/view size the game is using?
I just checked the demo, and yeah looks like that's what they're going with.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

quote:

It's actually been a fairly positive experience, because I run a very open company and everyone knows what's going on.
Hahaha what?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Orzo posted:

It looks really cool, congrats on your release. But isn't $20 a bit steep for an indie?
I dunno, the production values look pretty good to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

the black husserl posted:

Very true. I firmly believe that if Chris Taylor had pitched a straight up RTS (basically planetary annihilation) he would have easily made 2 million. There is more demand for these 'dead' genres than developers realize.
I agree.

Mordaedil posted:

It's not that RTS's are a dying genre, it's that they suffer the same fault that FPS' and MMO's suffer from; lack of good innovation. These people make their grognard games for their grognard friends and fail to understand that as long as they keep it too complex, too niche, too difficult, they aren't going to get people interested. I might very well buy a good introductory RTS, because I suck at them, but currently they only make RTS' for people who play RTS.
What? What recent RTS games are really all that complex?

the black husserl posted:

I don't think grognards are the problem with modern RTS, I think it's cyberatheletse or whatever. The second I start thinking about acronyms like "apm" I forget why the hell games are supposed to be fun.
The only recent RTS that (successfully) caters to eSports is SC2. And even then it's got plenty of stuff targeted at casual players, and the expansion is adding even more stuff for that demographic.

Internet Meme posted:

I just read the wikipedia article, but the shredder, the war hound, and the replicant were all removed due to 'balance concerns'. Several, then.
The replicant wasn't so much for balance but because it was a dumb idea. Being able to copy other races' units means the races feel less different. As has been noted, the war hound was just really boring, and the shredder has been replaced by a more interesting unit anyway, the widow mine.