Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I created a quck mod for the STRAFE pre-alpha to give inverted mouselook:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1593421/STRAFE_pre_alpha_invert_mouse.zip

(For those worried about viruses, just compare the file with the original - I only changed a single byte)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Yeah, that is approaching Molyneux levels of delusion about the complexity of their final game.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I'm gonna cross the lava by building a bridge out of all the broken "emergent gameplay" promises in various games over the years.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Hot Tin Roof: The Cat That Wore A Fedora comes out tomorrow, but I haven't gotten a key/Humble link yet. Anyone else backed this and got their keys yet?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Hot Tin Roof released today. I don't remember when I backed this but I'm glad to see something else I backed completed. :unsmith:

First impressions: It's fun, feels kinda like a Paper Mario game, but I really don't like the reload mechanic where you have to manually remove spent bullets and put in new ones individually.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Hakkesshu posted:

I mean a car that transforms into a loving flying car

Sonic Racing: Transformed?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Sethian is in its last week, and could need a push. It's a really unique game idea (Decipher an alien language) and I hope it manages to get funded.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Sounded more like they partnered up so Team 17 could do all the boring business stuff that comes with creating a game, while Playtonic focuses on the actual game. I don't think Team 17 will have any creative influence on the game.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Wendell posted:

Mighty Number 9 still looks boring to me, but I'd find any Megaman boring nowadays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jhbQ8Eik6Y

If the normal walking speed is so slow that the player has to dash constantly, why can't they just increase the walking speed?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Wow, a kickstarter by the single person in existence that enjoyed SSB's tripping mechanic.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
At least you can create a demo with 100% placeholder art. You can't create a demo with 100% placeholder code. (Though a kickstarter entirely made out of concept art is infinitely more likely to get funded than a kickstarter with a playable demo with lovely temporary art)

When it comes to which is most expensive and time consuming, art vs code - it's a bit like comparing apples and cars. Coding a game is a lot of work, but the amount of work is roughly the same independent of the size of the game world. Art scales more linearly - as the world size increases, so does the budget for content creation. For a lot of indies that are small in scope, programming costs will outweigh art costs, but for larger games, content creation dominates the budget.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Welp, Sethian beta is delayed because the dev is a Mac person and SDL turned out to be less crossplatform than he imagined. Are there any game devs with SDL experience that could lend him a hand?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

mechaet posted:

Interesting project I found today:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/monomythgames/need-to-know-the-mass-surveillance-thriller-game

Looks fairly interesting, though I think the funding request is a bit light; I still threw a pledge their way.

Yeah, this looks great. Pledged.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

StrixNebulosa posted:

In Other Waters releases today! I just got my key.

To my intense shock, the kickstarter promised it would be released in February, and it's only a few months late.... and it's coming to Switch as well.

Also, the reviews for it tend to be positive, so I'm looking forward to playing it. Wow.

Is this like Nauticrawl but more complicated? That game never really clicked for me.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

CottonWolf posted:

Speaking of questionable kickstarter decisions, the algorithm decided to recommend me this.

Yes, that is a dating game where you date genderswapped anime versions of famous serial killers. And it's funded. I don't even know why I'm surprised at this point.

how could they make this game and not have teddy kaczynski in it, sure, she wouldn't get all intimate with you, but she has a very unique world view and a tragic past and is in touch with nature

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Chairchucker posted:

I like it but it feels like there's some performance issues. Mostly loading, but occasional stutters. Also I almost got stuck on a bookshelf at one point.

If you're on PC, enable the ingame FPS limiter, I had to set it to 60 to get smooth performance

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Did they plan on using the front page to advertise their game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Memento posted:

Yeah so did I, I like little experimental games like that and supporting a goon project was the icing on the cake.

I can't understand why a poster in good standing can no longer use SA to promote their work like they were earlier? Utterly bizarre.

It definitely seems to be about the SA front page, I see they were contributing there regularly up until the front page stopped updating last year due to the new management. Not sure why they think the front page would bring any PR at all to their game, though...