Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

ReV VAdAUL posted:

This is exactly the kind of update I would expect Ice Pick Lodge to make given how crazy / awesome their games tend to be.

Yeah, if Ice Pick started sending out really coherent updates I'd begin to worry about the project. This one is par for the course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

MisterFuzzles posted:

So, I got an e-mail from Ice Pick Lodge regarding Knock Knock. It was only a "We need details to deliver your reward" kinda thing but as I haven't seen squat from them in quite some time could it mean something might be released soon?

Did you miss the amazingly incoherent update about a month ago? They had to extend the dev time because of Reasons. I'm going to quote the ending bit because it's actually sort of relevant to the discussion about development around Banner Saga:

quote:

You may ask why we had to make all those erroneous builds to realize we were moving in a wrong direction. Couldn’t we have figured it out at once, composing the very first documentation?

No, we couldn’t. First, this story purposely touches on the builds’ flaws, but don’t forget there was quite a lot done right in all of them – and we keep that, and each build leaves a kind of “cultural layer” in the game. We leave that information behind the scenes, because revealing it would be a spoiler. This story looks too much like a premature post-mortem as is.

Secondly, developing a game is not like solving an equation. As you are making a build, a lot of in-game factors pop up, like “too much fuss is killing the mood”, “here’s a distracting motivation”, “the actions are getting too automatic”, “inaction becomes the best strategy” etc., and all these factors depend only on how the various gameplay elements, both programmed and interactive, “get along”. If you’re working not with a ready game clone but with a new version, the process is unpredictable.

You may also ask whether all that work up to October 2012 was in vain. Of course it wasn’t. Because in the end, the answers to all those unasked questions to our supposed customer have been found.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

For the record, Mob comes from Mobile, which is what you called an NPC in a MUD that could actually move between rooms instead of just waiting around to get scraped to death.

Saoshyant posted:

Do you understand why this is a bad comparison?

Yeah, that's why I said it was only sort of relevant. It's basically just another example of the fact that game design is an iterative process, and you run into problem you didn't anticipate so things can easily take a lot longer than you expect. I think you're underestimating the number of unforseen interactions that can happen even in a turn based game -- I'm basically talking about combat balance, which I think might be comparable in number of variables involved to whatever the hell Knock-Knock is.

I'm a Banner Saga backer and I don't have any issues at all with Factions. I haven't played it and have no real interest in playing it, but I don't see much cause to freak out about anything. If they had pushed out the singleplayer first, it would be without all the refinements to the UI and combat that have come from creating a multiplayer component. I'd wager the single player AI might be a tad better than it would otherwise since they have a much wider base of data to pull from about what strategies are effective or not.

It's a bit like Starsector (formerly Starfarer.) The developer there has been focused on core combat for quite some time, so while there are a ton of campaign features missing from the game the actual fighting is razor-sharp and a lot of fun. In that case there isn't the additional overhead of multiplayer functionality which certainly took dev time away from Banner Saga's singleplayer, but they've never hidden the fact that the multiplayer was going to come out first so gnashing teeth about it is a little pointless.

I don't buy the argument that all (or even most) of the time spent on Factions was a waste. Art, animations, music, UI, and the combat itself will all be the same in singleplayer. Since combat is the meat of the game I want them to spend as much time working on it as possible. I can't think of a better way to tune up the combat than with the massive parallel testing that having a live multiplayer aspect grants. Sure, I'd love to have the singleplayer in hand right now, but I don't have any real reason to believe I won't get it eventually.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 22, 2013

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Orzo posted:

Or is it a 'mobile' unit? The confusion doesn't exist with 'bow', since you would never equip a motion where you bend over.

Yeah, but if you have a bow in your hand you might just have a ribbon. Or the front of a ship, if you have really big hands.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Zilkin posted:

So what's there left to resurrect now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2AhjhYWDUM

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

gently caress This Puzzle posted:

You can read explanations and not agree with them.

It isn't a normal practice either, because kickstarter isn't how it's normally done in the business.

It's a perfectly normal business practice. The only weird part is that the money is coming from a Kickstarter, not a publisher. Once a team is done with whatever's necessary for one game, you start them working on another one, or DLC. The fact that you want to keep people employed during different parts of a game's development cycle is one of the advantages of DLC - you can have your content producers churning out stuff that will make you money while the designers are working on the higher level building blocks for the next game. In this case they're starting from scratch so have no DLC to produce, and they're doing another crowdfunding effort instead. I don't see how this is any different from going after another publisher for you next project before the first is finished -- it might be a bit of a gamble, but if it pays off you have a much more solid future.

How would you propose they keep people on staff and paid if they don't have a particular project to work on, once the aspect of Wasteland that they were responsible for is finished?

E: From that Forbes interview:

quote:

The reason why we did it is that when I used to do the role-playing games at Interplay, we’d always have staggered development. You’re going to get a better product if you have the pre-production for the next game for the team to start on right when they’re done. That way we can spend the time while everyone (sc. on the production team) is working on Wasteland, they’ll (sc. the pre-production team on Torment:Tides of Numenera) be questioning every word of the design for Torment, and every nuance and every piece of reactivity, and making pass after pass, honing it in so that when the team from Wasteland gets done, they’ll be ready to go. That certainly works better than if you finish Wasteland, and then say “now what will we do?”

What part of this is silly? It seems pretty reasonable to me.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 6, 2013

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Poe posted:

as the one putting their own money down, I want to know the company that brought us Choplifter HD and Super Stacker can make one passable RPG before I give them money for a second one.

See, this is a perfectly reasonable reason not to throw money down. I was mostly just pointing out that the second Kickstarter isn't just a cash grab assuming it's in good faith, and a pretty reasonable decision from a business standpoint. Well, I hope it isn't, because if so they grabbed some of mine. I suppose I've flushed money down toilets for worse odds.

quote:

See now that would leave a bad taste in my mouth. We funded that game, and our level of funding determined the amount of content, and then sight unseen they go back to the well for more content in the game? Not a fan of that approach

This really depends on the DLC they end up with. I don't have a problem with throwing them a few more bucks for another chapter or whatever. If it's microtransaction '$5 for a better gun!!!' then yeah that would be crappy, but I don't feel like I'm entitled to more than the original offer. It would be nice if it were free to anyone who kickstartered originally, but that's the sort of decision they should only make after seeing sales numbers.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Five Cent Deposit posted:

Anecdotally, I've seen lots of posts in the thread about Notch kicking in $10,000 for a handful of projects. Is there some reliable source of info for that?

Here's confirmation about him on the Torment kickstarter.

The problem with publishing data like you're talking about is that while it would be mega interesting to poke through, it would open backers up to all sorts of obnoxious poo poo. Even without the $ amount funded included, I could easily see every new RPG kickstarter trawling through databases to find people who have contributed to multiple other RPG's, then spamming them individually to try to get a few extra dollars. If it were published at all, I'd want it completely stripped of any sort of identifying information whatsoever.

E: Now that I think of it, I'm sure marketing research companies are already approaching successful KS's to offer money for the donor list. Is there stuff in KS's terms of service about this? A list of people willing to give money for a promise would be worth its weight in gold to a lot of businesses.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 8, 2013

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

SlayVus posted:

So what happened to that crowd-founding project that some company did, but wasn't actually giving any of the backers the finished product?

Gonna have to be more specific. There are a few that have collapsed under their own weight for one reason or another. Glory to Rome poo poo the bed pretty bad, as did Code Hero. Those aren't the only ones.

In hopefully-other-news, Shovel Knight just ripped right past 200K with 3 days left. Four player battle mode is in! :toot: Gender swap mode is in! :unsmith:

Now they need to scramble for another strech goal to have on offer, which I suppose isn't the worst position to be in.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Do they have to? Are there any kickstarters that have just said "Nope, this is the scope of the game that we're offering, that's all we want to do"?

Yeah, I guess saying 'need' is a little strong, but I think it's useful in terms of keeping enthusiasm going through the end. It can easily turn into a problem if you start to promise things in the heat of the moment that you end up not being able to deliver, but I think it makes business sense to do something like throw up a stretch goal for +50K that is just 'MORE POLISH!' because people like having a number to shoot for.

Would putting up a stretch for something that you think you need X budget for with a funding goal of 2X be dishonest? That just gives you extra slush fund money for whatever part of development inevitably needs more time than you anticipate.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

MrFlibble posted:

The enemies are gonna be gender swapped too (so the enchanter and his girl knights basically)

There are a lot of people in the comments asking for a randomized option, which I think would be pretty cool. If you have two versions of each character design and they're mechanically identical, it can't be that difficult to finagle whatever in game text you need for everything to match up.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

miscellaneous14 posted:

This'll be the last set of stretch goals, apparently. I doubt they'll make it to the final one, but given how Skullgirls completely annihilated everyone's expectations last month, who knows what'll happen here.

They've made a solid 12k in the last 5 hours, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if they hit every single one. I think one of my favorite parts about this Kickstarter is the pitch video contains nothing that isn't the game itself. No need for a talking head when you have something to show off! I've noticed this a lot more lately - Risk of Rain does it too, and I think it's an excellent trend. The ask on that one is a measly 7K (and basically it's just for the music) so there's no doubt in hell it'll get funded within a week.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I can see the Banner Saga annoyance from both sides, but I think the only real legit objection that backers have is that they're getting the game later than they hoped. I don't think that's a big deal, and I hope the game itself will be a lot better since they have a metric craptop of data to sift through for testing and balance. I just think of Factions as a multiplayer demo / beta test and move along. The cash shop implementation has some issues -- it's way more expensive to buy stuff than it should be, but that argument is a whole different ball of wax and has more to do with the business side than the actual gameplay (which is what I care about.)

Still waiting on: DFA, Wateland 2, Shadowrun, Nekro, Starlight Inception, Valdis Story, Kinetic Void, Republique, Zombie Playground, CLANG, SpaceVenture, Knock-Knock, Planetary Annihilation, Eternity, Sui Generis, Star Citizen, Barkley 2, Dreamfall, Unwritten, Shovel Knight.

... I apparently have a Kickstarter problem. :smith:

FTL I got! Valdis Story looks like it's almost done and there's a demo I could play if I felt like it but I kinda want to wait for the full game. I'm not even sure why I backed CLANG, I don't have the hardware to actually tun the thing (but some of the alpha footage is hilarious.) Ring Runner's been in playable beta for a while but I just funded the minimum tier so I'll only get it on release. I basically never think of beta access as desirable; I'm a patient sort, and playing a game before it's fully balanced and relatively bug free just annoys me.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Did you do something to opt into that? I searched for Tale of Game's in Thunderbird and only got the KS backer emails from when I backed and then when it cleared, and going through the pages of poo poo in the spam folder of the gmail account I use with KS, I don't see anything at all in the last 30 days from them.

The last thing I see from them is shipping out body pillows on the 25th of march.

I've been pretty bad at keeping up with updates and I don't track anything that isn't in kickstarter messages, but for the record here are a few that I backed that haven't been mentioned:

Starlight Inception - Updates have been decently steady with a recent gap from Feb to early April. They're estimated August 2013 for release, and they apparently have a working alpha build. The actual update is pretty extensive and has checklists for model design, levels, music, all that stuff. Looks like good progress, though at this point the game itself is just going to wet people's appetites for Star Citizen.

Republique - Last update on Feb. 28th, includes a link to a dev diary that hasn't been updated since Feb 1st. Doh. They also include a lot of behind the scenes spreadheets and in-production images. Seems well under way.

Zombie Playground - Updates every two monthish. Last on April 6, predicting closed alpha in 4 weeks. Includes mega-early gameplay footage. I really wanted this one to hit more stretch goals than it did, I think the devs were a little overambitious. Hopefully it turns out fun.

CLANG- Mega regular updates, sometimes multiple per week but a lot of them are stuff like 'here's our greenlight!' and minor fluff. The most recent one has some nice meat on how combat is going to work, but I really want to see the actual game in action. They had practice dummies as of the end of Feb.

Spaceventures - Monthlyish. Most recent video, but they're in the 'we're doin' stuff' phase of development so there's not a lot to show. Progress seems a teeny bit slow? Hard to judge.

Knock-Knock - Beta version on the way. Updates are sporadic and bizarre. They mainly need to do the English translation and make the voiceover, but then it should be ready to go according to the latest. My favorite line on this month's update: "“Knock-knock” constructs a situation of a dialog between a human and some supernatural being, so this game intentionally diverges from any predictability, linearity and strict coding."

Sui Generis - Sporadic. Last one in early March. Not too worried, but it's hell of ambitious so I'm sort of expecting the game to be a bit of a mess anyway.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 16, 2013

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Orzo posted:

Oh I can't believe a Kickstarter game compared itself to Dark Souls, that's a first.

Nah. Two others off the top of the head. Ghost of a Tale pretty clearly apes the style something fierce, but Shovel Knight is a bit of a stretch.

V- Hurrr. :saddowns:

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 23, 2013

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

48 hours left on Divinity. I'm ready for the huge asymtotic upswing of cash that jumps them over a million in a few hours.

:confuoot:

I wonder, is the reason why this one isn't catching on fire because it almost looks TOO complete? I can see how people might look at the demos and think 'well, they have a mighty complete looking game here I guess they don't really need my money.' The $25 buy in for the game itself seems pretty steep, too - I think if it was around $15 for backers they'd have seen a lot more revenue coming in.

Mainly I just hope they hit 800. If they DO get a decent swing for the last two days that shouldn't be a problem, but at this point I'd be surprised if they crack the million stretch goal.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

More money is obviously better, but I'll be honest in that 'NPC schedules' is not exactly a feature I have any enthusiasm about. In most games it just means that people aren't where I expect them to be when I swing by for a chat or to turn in a quest. Best case you have a map marker pointing to them and it just adds a few more seconds of running around town, worst case they up and vanish behind locked doors at arbitrary times and you have to fiddle with the clock to make them show up again. NPC behavior is usually so far from human anyway that making them go from point A to point B at 6:00 every night just makes them seem MORE robotic, so it doesn't help with immersion at all.

I'm not saying it couldn't be a neat feature if well done, I've just never seen it implemented in a game in a really compelling way.

Maybe because they almost made it, they'll be able to cram in weather effects and moon phases. Those seem more interesting to me anyway.

E: Oh, well if it's in with Paypal then whatever! :woop:

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

The only wierd thing for me about the PA kickstarter is basically moot because of the amount they've raised already, but they really should have made it a higher initial goal if they actually need new equipment and an audio guy.

The stretch goals are a little wierd, too - so far there are only 2, and neither is really about 'let's make this project better.' I mean, a theme song is nice but it's not like it'll cost $19,990 dollars. Maybe it's just a problem with how I'm used to thinking about stretches in terms of game development. In the end the whole thing is basically a $10 preorder for a season of podcasts, which is totally fine -- it just feels a little lazy.

Maybe it's because the end product is pretty low-effort, by design - they explicitly say that this is a fly on the wall podcast that just features them having a conversation we listen to. That's fine, and I guess if they asked for 20K to start people would be bitching about this as well -- But because the end product won't be that expensive, the reward tiers ring a little false. Jumping from 55 to 100 gets you a signed poster, so that's basically just a $45 poster. $50 more to get a pin, which is a hell of a profit margin for them. In other projects it's understood that the bulk of the money will go towards hiring a developer or paying an artist and the reward is incidental (like getting a hundred dollar mug from a PBS pledge drive,) but in this case it feels more money-grabby since the podcast is ostensibly 'turn on a microphone in the room we're in.'

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Cicero posted:

They talked about this when their first kickstarter was running. They're basically doing this more as a patronage system than what's now the standard kickstarter model. In fact, the podcast they're making will be free to everyone.

'Pay what you want after a 2 week delay' isn't totally synonymous with free to everyone.

I have no problem with PA trying to get out from under the advertiser thumb -- but that should be stated as an explicit part of the goal. In this case, all they say they want to fund is the podcast itself. It's an issue with compartmentalization - I don't have a problem with them turning a profit in general, but kickstarter stuff should be more focused on the end result.

That said, I may well throw them ten because I listen to podcasts all day every day and I like to consume fresh media as soon as it arrives. I donated to TAL, I donated to Radiolab, and I donated to soma.fm. $10 isn't that steep for twentyish hours of audio,I just think the whole thing is pretty lazy. Compare the strech goals so far to those of Retronauts, for instance - all of theirs are focused on making more content, or better content. Blinging a usb stick just isn't very compelling.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 8, 2013

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

The Stomping Lands prototype looks incredible -- I would play that game right now, even as janky as it is. The developer doesn't come across like he has any real idea what to do with extra money, though. It could stand to have a project manager or some better in between stretch goals. I'm pretty sure it'll smash through 75k at the end, but with 100k gap before the next (not especially exciting) stretch I doubt they'll make a huge amount of extra headway. And the big goalpost is Oculus Rift support, which seems like sort of a joke at this point. Wouldn't it be a little wierd to play third person game with a VR headset anyway?

I guess it's better than promising the moon and the stars with every stretch goal and loading down with feature creep, but the lack of more discrete goals makes me a little nervous about the long-term vision for the project in general.

But, I mean. Team-based dinosaur surival? Me and a few friends are already thinking of running a server if that's a thing that needs to be done.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Drifter posted:

They've essentially Kickstarted a flowchart and people are excited about it?

Watch the video and skip to around 2:20 for what I think the Kickstarter is actually funding: the Redwall style IN CHARACTER launch party / feast. Featuring potatoes. He sounds really excited about the potatoes.

xgalaxy posted:

I wonder if I could get a PC xbox controller vibrator sex game funded.

There's a different site for that.

Speaking of, why hasn't anyone been talking about Trials in Tainted Space, a text based adventure game about making GBS threads dicknipples that raised just under 200K? The most :nws: thing I've ever posted, do NOT tell it you're over 18.

quote:

Sex scenes that are short stories in their own right and mold themselves to match your appearance using dynamic descriptors to ensure that your unique body is perfectly described.

gently caress yeah, sounds good to me.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

How many of those have paid off yet? My gaming budget for this month is absolutely blown now already

Not a heck of a lot of them, but we're getting into the period that the first wave of post-doublefine KS's (which was basically when it became A Thing) are starting to pay out. I think we have another 6 months or so before we can really talk about Kickstarter success rates, but things are looking good so far.

Speaking of, Ring Runner just sent out the beta (which is just a direct link to an .exe on their website they ask backers not to share, :nyoron:) and I piddled around with it for about half an hour last night. It's pretty fun! The controls are a little floaty at first, but I think that might be partially the fault of the clunker-rear end ship you start out with. I'm still in the tutorialish portion so the game hasn't opened up yet, but there are a metric ton of achievements and extra mission goals and stuff like that already.

The writing is a little more self aware and ~zany~ than I think is ideal, featuring a snarky AI and an amnesiac straight man player character, but I don't think it takes anything away and I'm not sure how much I'm going to care about the plot anyway. I'm more interested in the multiplayer and customization stuff, which either aren't in the Beta or I'm missing something.

They also have a few first-time design choices and slightly odd UI moves. No 'back' button in menus, but I noticed by accident that mouse4 did the same thing as hitting escape.

I really need to pick up Gimbal so I can compare, but they have pretty different styles.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

signalnoise posted:

Ffffffffffffucccckkkkkkkkkk

That would really suck man

I'm not totally sure why this is a bad thing? I mean, Elemental is a mess but the biggest disappointment for me was always that it had a great concept buried underneath all the cruft. Just because DF is heading in the same general direction idea-wise doesn't mean they won't execute a whole of a lot better.

I'm sure they'll go into more detail as the KS continues, anyway. Well, maybe they'll be some hubris because Broken Age had so few specifics and got well funded, but I think those guys are smart enough to see that the market's shifted a little.

Mostly I funded because I don't want to disappoint Brad Muir. Look at that smile. :haw:

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

I'd rather my tactical strategy game didn't turn into a dating sim to be honest.

I think the opposite. Have you ever played Sakura Wars? It's basically just more numbers to jumble around and optimize, which is part of the fun.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Migishu posted:

God Factory looks really fun, but is way short of its goal with 1 week left.

Yeah, I think it's losing a lot by being only multiplayer focused, but I'd love to see them pull it off. They seem to have quite a lot of game already, and I'm a huge fan of the design aesthetic -- its way more colorful than most space sims are trying to be. More of a gonzo Zone of the Enders than a semi-serious military sim like star citizen or even strike suit infinity.

It helps that I think the game itself looks pretty drat fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4ijebZtICY

And Rift support, as is natural for this sort of game these days.

I really hope they get funded. :ohdear:

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

E: ^- Harlock quoted it on this page. E2: Oh, I guess not that specific part.

Tim posted:

I think I just have an idea in my head about how big an adventure game should be, so it’s hard for me to design one that’s much smaller than Grim Fandango or Full Throttle. There’s just a certain amount of scope needed to create a complex puzzle space and to develop a real story. At least with my brain, there is.

So we have been looking for ways to improve our project’s efficiency while reducing scope where we could along the way. All while looking for additional funds from bundle revenue, ports, etc. But when we finished the final in-depth schedule recently it was clear that these opportunistic methods weren’t going to be enough.

We looked into what it would take to finish just first half of our game—Act 1. And the numbers showed it coming in July of next year. Not this July, but July 2014. For just the first half. The full game was looking like 2015! My jaw hit the floor.

This was a huge wake-up call for all of us. If this were true, we weren’t going to have to cut the game in half, we were going to have to cut it down by 75%! What would be left? How would we even cut it down that far? Just polish up the rooms we had and ship those? Reboot the art style with a dramatically simpler look? Remove the Boy or Girl from the story? Yikes! Sad faces all around.

Also of note in there that this isn't planned to be a little five hour game any more -- that's basically the problem.

I think some people are reading the issue a little wrong - they haven't run out of money. They were going to run out of money before the game was finished at the rate they were spending it relative to game progress. From what I gather, they're basically at the point that the tech is done and it's a matter of developing the content itself. Now that they have a 1/5 or whatever of the actual game in a state nearing completion, they can make much better estimates about how long the rest of the production is going to take. Based on the videos, I'm guessing the big hangup is just producing enough art to cram into the thing -- you can't rush that without sacrificing a lot (or just cutting scenes out.)

I'm not trying to excuse the fact that they should have done a better job of scoping this thing in the first place, but from the point they're at now I don't see how doing the early release business is really a bad option. The only thing backers really have to complain about is the fact that it's been delayed, and when it comes to game development and untested processes I think there's a limit to how much you complain.

I do wonder in a morbid sort of way how many backers will die before the game comes out, though.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 3, 2013

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

^- Art. And remember that they are not making the game they originally planned for. Even then, one gets the impression the 'plan' was more of a 'hey let's give this a shot' than anything really solidly budgeted.

Smol posted:

(Ignoring that its probably forbidden by Kickstarter's TOS)

It's not

I personally wouldn't back it again. I bought Brutal Legend on PC when it was on sale and haven't actually installed it yet, if that counts.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

So, what do you guys think the chances are that GoD Factory will make 35K in the next 15 hours? :smith:

They threw a demo up, if anyone's curious. I think the game shows a heck of a lot of promise even at the state it's currently in.

It's a 4v4 spaceship dogfight game -- armored core customization levels + zone of endery art design + spaceships sounds like a winning formula to me, but maybe it's too much of a niche? I'm surprised it didn't pick up at least a little steam, since it's clear the devs at least have some idea of what they're doing and a workable framework. Is it because they didn't have the demo available until a couple days ago? Is it because multiplayer-only stuff doesn't tend to do so well? Are we already saturated in the space shooter sim market?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Unwritten Passage posted an update that gives me some serious warm fuzzies.

quote:

This is when the PA controversy brought a moment of clarity. We were wrong to focus on women and men in this case: often times men could prefer to tell stories of their identity with female avatars, and similarly women with male ones (as many MMO player rosters can attest to). This is classic story telling, and historically gender in story telling is hardly fixed. For example, representations of the Hindu God Shiva in ancient times routinely had both male and female elements.

Careful, guided randomization is a big part of Unwritten Passage, but in gender we’ve been inspired to let go a little and give randomization freer reign. We now mix our male and female puppet pieces freely, redesigning them to represent epic, spirit guides that may have both male and female elements but still represent a cohesive whole.

We’re also taking gender randomization a step further by randomizing the sex of each character in our narrative “story events”. For example, in the video for our successful Kickstarter we had a sample story event where the player’s tribe encounters a man with his son, starving for food. The player is given several options, including the chance to give the food, but only in exchange for the son as a slave (which the man agrees to). With the latest change whether you encounter a man and his daughter, a woman and her son, a woman and her daughter (etc), is completely random. So far the result has been fascinating as each scenario is changed radically based on the player’s own beliefs. Do they feel differently about a woman trading a male son for food than a man trading his daughter for example?

I think this might be one of my favorite Kickstarter updates of all times, in terms of how happy it makes me to have backed something. :allears:

GoD ain't gonna come close, maybe not even halfway. Oh well. I wonder if they worked too hard on getting a demo out in time for the last week then not enough time promoting? If they polish it up a little and come back in a month they might have a better chance, but that's gotta be tough.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

In other fulfillment news, Ring Runner has been out for a week. I feel sort of bad for any indie game releasing right now and not on Steam, because it's hard to compete with the sales. Greenlight page if you're interested. I haven't spent as much time with it as I wanted to -- too many games to play and too little time.

It's obviously an amateur effort, but for the most part so far that's only because of the plot and mission structure. I'm pretty sure it opens up at some point and gives you some freedom, but the first 2 hours at least start with you thrown into a series of gladiator fights that just grate after a while. It's a long tutorial section and clumsily handled, but the core combat is fun as hell. I want to sink more into it - there seems to be a ton of content. It feels like the game could have used the equivalent of an editor, but maybe that would have gotten in the way of the ambition.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Baron Snow posted:

Maybe I'm not seeing it, but infringey on who's trademark?

It's a pretty blatant ripoff of an existing tabletop miniatures war game. It looks like they're even stealing art assets, why isn't anyone up in arms about this?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

The Flying Milton posted:

Who was the email from? I don't see it in my inbox.

If you're on Gmail, check the new 'promotions' tab. That's where mine ended up. Found it just before hitting send on the email to them saying that I hadn't received it. :downs:

I like the idea of a 'successfully funded and released' post, but as is the second post is sort of... a year out of date anyway.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Don't forget about Ring Runner! It's out on GoG and it's really fun but I still haven't gotten any real traction on it. The writing isn't grabbing me, even if the gameplay does.

It seems like what we'd really need to track all this is a big honking spreadsheet on Google docs. There are a lot of smaller projects that it's easy to forget about if you didn't back them. Dominique Pamplemousse, f'rinstance.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I like having updates land in my inbox every now and again because they remind me that I backed projects that I totally forgot about. Why did I back Nekro again?

Speaking of, Starlight Inception is looking like a real game these days. Decent excuse to plug in a joystick prior to star citizen, at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v7ISI3oMKc

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 7, 2013

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Eiffel On You posted:

I know it's a generic question, but what's good? I like anything, and I immediately backed Ghost Song and Warmachine but that's all I got right now for current projects. What else should I know about?

Read the last 10 pages or so? Since everything has different end dates I think keeping an updated OP with recommendations is kind of a fool's errand, though the idea of making a Google doc has briefly been bandied about. You could always just use the Kickstarter Discover option to root around, but there's a lot of drek in there to sort through.

One that I don't think I've seen come up in here is Odallus: The Dark Call which looks like 8-bit Castlevania (Faxanadu?) crossed with... well, Dark Souls, but to their credit they don't actually mention that in the description. Flexible funding but it's already met the goal so it's going through either way, and the people involved don't come across as scammy at all.

Looking through the games list I just noticed Beyond Black Space which looks at first blush to be FTL with a worse design aesthetic. I haven't watched the pitch video yet, but the extensive feature list for first time devs does not fill me with confidence.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 7, 2013

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Every single update makes me happier that I backed Knock-Knock, and a little sadder that they weren't one of the crazy Kicstarters that made 1000%. I mean

quote:

“It’s a game about fighting madness. About the death of consciousness. We wanted to simulate the perception of a man who walks the line of sanity.”
“The player is supposed to feel discomfort, because everything is not what it seems. The house refuses to be a home. But he also wants to find the source of his discomfort, and the source sits in front of the monitor, I hope.”

Nikolay pauses.

“Oh, you know what? I have no idea what the player is supposed to feel. It’s too hard a question.”

:pcgaming::hf::ussr:

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Everything seemed interesting until I saw the word Cthlulhu. Stealing that setting for your own is such a creatively bankrupt thing to do I instantly lose any interest in any game that does so.

Does it really count as stealing when you use something in the public domain? I understand that you might not like the setting in general but saying this is the same thing as denouncing a project because it used Norse gods.

Personally, I'd love a Cthulhu game based on something like A Colder War.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Why is Hepler wasting her time on this tentacle garbage when someone out there could be working on a Wraeththu game?

E: man, that's a lovely word to spell. Now I googled it and the NSA will be waiting at my house after I'm fired from work.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 4, 2013

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

You should have gotten an email stating that you received a Desura gift. So...I guess that's now! Let us know when you make the thread.

:siren: Mine went in Gmail's promo category, so check your filters if you haven't gotten one yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Be really careful about picking up the teddy bear in Valdis Story. I just kind of hit a road block, and I don't see a way around it besides toughing through a boss I don't feel like I'm leveled enough to take on, and looks to be optional otherwise? Got through the beautiful garden level, circled back to hit the library and now that I have the bear a cutscene plays and I land in a boss fight with a bird monster who is tougher by far than any boss I've encountered so far (unless there's a gimmick I missed.) Best I've done in like 15 attempts is maybe half the life bar. He does an attack that comes out in a couple frames and takes off 90% of my HP in one shot. :smith:

Game is excellent so far, 3ish hours in. Boss fights are tough and satisfying, platforming is nice and chunky. The art is scrumptious, though I'm sure some will complain that it's not 1080p native. I'm playing through as Reina and the only functional part I don't really like is how her cancel-dash works but I think it's just a matter of getting more practice and not mashing on buttons.

Oh, and it would be really really nice to have a way to look down. I've had to take leaps of faith on more than one occasion.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Sep 9, 2013