Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

If you were thinking of giving money to STRAFEŽ you should probably do that now, they're at $132k of $185k, and I'm pretty sure they could make their goal with a little more time for people to actually hear about them, but they have 3 days left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Chas McGill posted:

'Shock games have more mindshare
Since you mentioned it, why isn't someone trying to kickstart a System Shock reboot? It's ripe for the re-making, and I personally didn't kickstart Ultima Underworld because the latest Elder Scrolls games have been doing everything that I personally ever wanted out of a new UU. I don't feel like anyone is filling System Shock's particular niche at the moment.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Zaphod42 posted:

Because Looking Glass and Irrational no longer exist :smith:

The people with the rights would have to be involved and they'd rather do other things.

(Ken pretty much just finished making System Shock 4)

I didn't mean remake them as System Shock games, just as the same gameplay with a not-quite-infringing title. Then again, a System Shock game without SHODAN would not be nearly as fun.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Great Joe posted:

hey, obsidian? yeah, it's sega, yeaaaahhhhhhhhhh im gonna need you to make alpha protocol more rpg-ish. yeah no, don't let the player use a pistol like they would in an fps from the get-go, lock that behind a big experience point gate. also if you dont do this were shutting you down, okay? thaaaaaaaaaanks

-an actual thing that happened

Do you have a source for this? It'd be great to hear all the things that went wrong in Alpha Protocol's development. I thought it was a great game, but I could easily believe that it was the product of some extensive meddling.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Basic Chunnel posted:

It definitely happened - it might have been a producer or someone like that who said it, but it was apparent that SEGA wasn't paying for QA during the several month delay they imposed. Because iirc it wasn't delayed because they felt it needed work, they delayed it because its original release date was in the middle of some stiff competition. I still think that AP's combat would have been at least marginally better received had it come out before Mass Effect 2. It was an unfavorable comparison.

It doesn't make a ton of sense until you consider that SEGA wasn't and isn't particularly good with its money. Also considering some of the stories about its development it was probably the case that they had given up on the game and didn't consider that money for QA would have been well spent. When I asked Avellone about what he'd do differently he said "get it right the first time", because the AP we got was its third version. The only development that I can recall comparing to that is Duke Nukem Forever, or possibly the canceled Black Isle Fallout 3, which was dropped and picked up again from scratch at least once.

I totally believe you, I just want to know where the tell-all story is, because I'd bet there's some other gems in there.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

BoredMarc posted:

Or there is what you are suggesting which is that he is putting on an elaborate ruse of being passionate about videogames,
Nobody's suggesting that. That guy trying to kickstart the Labyrinth game is probably pretty passionate about video games, too.

PS I like your custom title.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Renoistic posted:

Some of my favorite games (the Max Payne games, Platinum Studio's games) are really short. I just don't pay full price for them (usually). And I of course replay them a bunch of times, even if I wouldn't dream of playing the same game for hundreds of hours.

I'd be agreeing with them, honestly, it's just that the "AAA" designation universally means that it's priced at $60 and won't be coming down for a while. I paid maybe $20 for Vanquish and Bayonetta, and that was just about right for both. Far Cry: Blood Dragon was a fantastic value-for-money proposition, I felt.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

You can say it's spoiled people, but I don't like Oregon Trail remakes and $10 is exactly my price point to kickstart this and see if it's good. So, he got my money, anyway.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

CommissarMega posted:

...I actually want to back this. This lets me date a T-34, even an IS-2, I have to back this. I don't care if they're in girl form, I don't care that it's a shittier Kancolle.

With the success of Hatoful Boyfriend I really feel like they should've gone full tank.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Really, I don't know if I'm more annoyed that it's a dumb mecha musume thing (as they all are, mind) or that it's the laziest attempt at mecha musume I've ever seen.
You're right. I was afraid of writing a grognards.txt saying that they picked the wrong tanks, but it's not so much bad tank taste as lazy tank taste. Here are some tanks from WW2, and here are some high school girls who have personality traits. They will be arbitrarily matched up.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Skoll posted:

Guy, I honestly don't care. You're the one getting super combative that people would dare give Julian Gollop money for an XCOM successor that sounds like a mix of Event Horizon and Silent Hill.
Is that good or bad? I think this kickstarter looks neat, but I know XCOM clones have had a questionable track record.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

ImpAtom posted:

Julian Gollop was able to make a reasonably fun and playable XCOM clone on the frigging GBA. He's probably at least earned some benefit of the doubt.

Chairchucker posted:

I think an XCOM clone is more likely to be good when it's made by the guy who made XCOM, though.

Not wild on the FIG exclusive items they've got.
That seems reasonable. Also, yeah, the exclusive items aren't even FIG exclusive, they're collector's edition FIG exclusive, which means that (I'd guess) 90% of the playerbase won't even be seeing them. Always a good idea.

(I backed it)

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Doggles posted:

A perfect excuse to trot Kologeon back out.

What it looked like while accepting donations:

What it turned into after the devs got their money:

The update announcing the change basically boiled down to, "we used gameplay from the game you wanted us to make, to get the funds for the game we wanted to make."

No new updates since the bait and switch nearly 5 months ago.

What a bad idea for a bait-and-switch.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

No Gravitas posted:

So far it seems that the things I was most excited for are getting gutted. Ah well.

I only found about Tangiers in the last year, what parts are getting gutted?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Foo Diddley posted:

It's not that they have no programmers, it's that they don't have any programmers legendary enough to share a yearbook page with Trystan Snodgrass

Why the Ashes of Creation referral program is NOT a pyramid scheme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84EevAKfeqA

Now I'm no marketer, but it seems to me that explaining very carefully to people why your project is not a scam would have the opposite effect that you intended

Ah, he has a point, this isn't a pyramid scheme, those can sometimes benefit people close to the top instead of just the original scammer. This is more like a column scheme?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

ImpAtom posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/615312068/deadly-premonition-the-board-game

Not... what I would have imagined getting a board game adaptation.

Could a boardgame expert tell me how this looks mechanically? I mean, I want to fund it because it's such a bad idea, but how bad will the game be?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Random Stranger posted:

Looking at it, I'm dubious. It's not what I'd want thematically from a Deadly Premonition game, but we can set that aside for the moment. It looks like a lot of the mechanics are a simple back-and-forth, take-that response. I'm really not clear why they have a hidden identity mechanic other than those are popular lately. With only two to four players, using it just as an early victory mechanic for guessing that the other player is the killer feels pointless. Also it appears that the game is extremely random with little in the way of strategic options.

Getting back to the thematic aspect of things, I know that what I'd want in a Deadly Premonition board game would be deduction: there doesn't seem to actually be a mystery to solve in the game, the suspects appear to act more as points where you're trying to get all of the ones dealt to you eliminated. And I'd want the investigation to get sidetracked with silly minutia where players have to deal with something else before they can get a clue. And those quirky sidewise bits don't seem to be reflected in the board game either (I'm sure there will be cards that reference things but not actual gameplay aspects).
Cool, thanks. I thought the action looked at odds with the story, but wasn't sure about the rest. I'll see if they post some playthroughs that make it more apparent what's going on with the gameplay.

Litany Unheard posted:

creators have never made a boardgame
I can see what you're saying, but I want to know that this is a bad game instead of guessing.

Skyscraper fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 9, 2017

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Litany Unheard posted:

If their pitch doesn't include a list of the things they've already made, then it's not a guess. It will be bad. Every jackass on the planet thinks they can make a boardgame just because they've played a bunch of Settlers of Catan, but it's actually really really complicated. For the video game version go back a page or two where everyone is mocking the MMO being made by QA and PR people.

Also there's no actual gameplay shown of a game they've presumably been working on and playtesting for a year. No print and play option for backers, either. In the video game world it's the indie Kickstarter without a gameplay demo.

Anything else would just be reiterating what Random Stranger said.

Oh, I know. I knew that just from looking at it, but it'd be nice to know exactly why it's bad, not just that it is doomed to be bad.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Yodzilla posted:

Won't someone please help Namco kickstart a new Pac-Man game?? http://gamemeetsart.com/

I really wish they'd let me kickstart a PC port of Katamari Forever. Have they just forgotten about that series?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Yodzilla posted:

What are you talking about there was a Katamari game released last year :ironicat: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tap-my-katamari-endless-cosmic-clicker/id1055397979?mt=8

It is KIND OF progress I guess, at least they're letting their IP see the light of day, even as a horrible crippled mess.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Count Uvula posted:

Dredmor made a shitload of money, which is why it took them like 5 years to close shop making very little money from CE and paying for the livelihoods of 3+ people

That's too bad, I really would have bought more Dredmor products if they had released some to raise money for CE.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Outsider art Guilty Gear?

The Moon Monster posted:

I don't understand why people make bad games when they could instead make good games. It simply doesn't make sense. Why did George Romero decide to make Daikatana bad instead of good? We may never know.
I get what you (and a lot of people) are saying, that making games is no picnic, and saying "oh just make it good" is too simplistic; I think that people angry at it are mainly angry that it's way worse than a regular bad game. Like, it'd still be a bad game, but it sounds like ripping off a game programming class's "Babby's First FPS" that everyone in the class codes along with the book, would have produced better results, and Inner Chains doesn't even rise to that very basic level.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

DoctorTristan posted:

That looks as bad as the Tetsuya Nomura Batman.

I was going to say "Should've gone with the Yoshitaka Amano Batman instead" as a joke but then I googled it and found out it's a thing. Apparently Yoshitaka Amano Batman wears women's shoes?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Really wish I could've seen this before I kickstarted this trash. Automatic return fire and pre-defined damage have never been elements of xcom-type gameplay, and I don't know why they thought that would be a good idea here. It sure doesn't fill me with confidence for their game.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

JazzFlight posted:

Well, at least you still have 9 hrs to drop out.
Ah, that's right! To the pledgeboard!

Obsurveyor posted:

Automatic return fire is definitely a thing in the original X-Com. If you left enough time units they would automatically return fire or shoot at movement.
did you see the video they posted or is this some :goonsay:

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Obsurveyor posted:

I'm not watching a 9 minute video to pick out whatever thing you're :spergin: about and apparently can't describe properly, I was responding to what was written.
ok good job, i haven't played xcom before so i needed that tooltip

Fangz posted:

Jeez, let the guy who created XCOM try and innovate a bit? Before you were all "I know XCOM clones have had a questionable track record" but now it's "wait it's doing something different??? CANCEL!"
I guess I should have said "a questionable track record of failing to get basic poo poo right" but I kind of figured people had experienced that.
He tried to innovate, and this is what he came up with. I'm happy he tried, but trying a new thing doesn't mean your new idea isn't terrible or that it doesn't completely undercut the point of your game.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Fangz posted:

Please tell me why what he showed does that.
Sure, I'd be happy to. If I do, will you tell me why automatic return fire is an innovation?

Foglet posted:

Neither were two-action turns or mission timers or grappling hooks or huge awesome stompy robbits on your team.

fake edit: Or reptilian mammaries, for that matter.
Yep, got me, I kickstarted it because I wanted a 3.5" disk of original x-com. I hate new stuff!

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Fangz posted:

It provides an use for the locational damage mechanic, and complicates target prioritisation. You'll note that return fire is triggered not from just the bad guy shot at, but *all enemies in LOS with a particular weapon*. So this opens up strategies like using the sniper to disarm enemies before hand, or using a smoke grenade to block off LOS and isolate enemies before you open up. It avoids the XCOM2 issue where you end up trying to maximise your burst damage and so avoid the AI ever getting a chance to act. It might also feed off the evolution/mutation system - for example, the aliens might not start with this ability, but instead gain it/get it strengthened over the course of the campaign, which varies up the challenge.
All good points, and a really good analysis. I look at XCOM:UFO / XCOM:EU/EW's (I haven't tried XCOM2 yet, I'm giving XCOM:EW a no-meld replay before I finally move on to XCOM2, tell me if it broke something) attempts to keep the AI from acting as a fundamental feature of the turn-based system, rather than a problem. I don't want the AI acting on my turn unless it was short (used fewer TU's or used an action to overwatch) on a previous turn, or it's a simultaneous or real-time system. Like the other poster said, it gives the whole thing a feel of attrition rather than a strategy where not getting shot is key to the gameplay (or where dying is unavoidable and your troops are expendable, as you like it). I think that's fundamentally a different game than the traditional X-Com gameplay, and while that doesn't have to be a bad thing (XCOM: TB wasn't terrible, or I didn't think it was anyway) it's bad by tactical game standards. XCOM:EU had smoke grenades, and disarming shots, they were both useful strategies. You should be controlling your LOS already in basic XCOM.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Visually/presentationally, automatic return fire more accurately represents an actual battlefield and exchanges of fire in a way that a strictly turn-based representation does not.
You're right, but they've chosen to put it in a turn-based game specifically, which is 100% of why I think it sucks. I liked Full Spectrum Warrior, and I would like Frozen Synapse if that game wasn't broken.

Skyscraper fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 7, 2017

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Fangz posted:

XCOM's disarming shot and smoke grenades were pretty lousy because it's always preferable to kill an enemy, and it's too unpredictable whether your smoke would actually help at all because the enemy can just choose to not shoot the guys in smoke. I just don't see why there's a problem here. There *are* still ways to not get shot, but it just becomes trickier, and you get an alternative strategy created where you can intentionally take more damage to deal it more quickly, at the risk of getting your guys closer to being killed if you miscalculate. You really aren't saying anything here other than "it's bad".
Well, I used them. I think you're supposed to hope that the enemy doesn't shoot the guys in smoke? I use smoke when I don't want to get shot. Often times, you can't kill the people who are shooting at you before they shoot you, which would be a time to use the smoke. I'll admit, I thought original X-Com smoke was more handy when it worked, but too abstract to feel good, which is I think why they changed it for XCOM:EU. Disarming was handy for live captures and enemies with too many hit points to kill before they killed you.

I'm not just saying it's bad, I'm saying that they're trying to make it fundamentally different from turn-based tactical. You might think that the changes are good, but it'd be akin to playing an FPS with an RPG-like miss chance on shots that "hit" (I am aware that TF2 had specific items that did that etc etc). Maybe not a bad thing fundamentally, just against kind of a basic part of the game design. Why even make it turn-based at that point? It sounds like you weren't a fan of some really fundamental conventions of this kind of gameplay.

Edit on your edit:

Fangz posted:

I mean, heck, for all we know those enemy gunners get their return fire because they went into overwatch. (XCOM2 also gives one class Free Overwatch as an optional ability also.... Also introduces MECs and Turrets, both of whom get to shoot, then go into overwatch. Heck in XCOM:EU you get the Berserkers, who get a free move action every time you attack them, while ethereals get that damage reflect.)
That's entirely possible, but the game designer mentioned it as a normal mechanic of shooting at people, they didn't put any kind of a limit on overwatch like TU's or one overwatch per turn (with exceptions) like XCOM:EU. I was watching for that because I assumed it must be there. I'm totally OK with shooting and then going into overwatch, I think it was a thing that happened in XCOM:UFO before they made it ability-specific in XCOM:EU; it still takes resources in the form of actions and ammo. It's a strategic element to be overcome rather than mobs returning x damage per attack, better have a cleric healing. Berserkers and ethereals were both pretty cool because they were specific units that had these mechanics, I'd have been just as pissed if every enemy did that.

Edit Edit: Since he's in the thread, SupSuper, you want to weigh in on this?

Skyscraper fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 7, 2017

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

SupSuper posted:

I think it's still too early to judge. :shrug: The video was clearly designed to focus on the more exciting systems (boss aliens, targeted parts), without any RNG bullshit and the like. There's probably more stuff to come and they haven't had time to take action on all the feedback they've been gathering during and before the campaign (like how a lot of people would rather it be more oldCOM than newCOM).

As for the return fire, it could go either way. Yes, in the original X-COM any unit with TUs left had a chance to reaction to any action, which was reworked into "overwatch" for new XCOM, so this isn't too different. There might be other chances that aren't implemented yet so it isn't always guaranteed damage, plus most of the aliens will likely be melee-focused.
Also, stuff like cover, distance, etc, seems to mitigate damage now instead of aim (maybe this will finally make cover useful!) so soldiers in very safe positions will probably take little to no damage. This encourages you to not stay out in the open, unlike new XCOM where you could afford to as long as you made sure the alien wouldn't be around for a counterattack.

I do like how there seems to be a mixed reaction with the game "borrowing too much" or "differing too much" from XCOM, the clone cycle never changes. :allears:

I don't think mitigating damage vs aim is fitting with the idea of X-COM's (and JA's, while I'm at it) gameplay specifically, its actual mechanics aside, which is the part that I hate, and also what I was asking about. I'm not great at distilling what makes these games great, and why this violates that. I see what you mean about cover being less useful in EU (and UFO?) but I think there are better ways of doing that than damage mitigation. Then again, I liked cover in EU also, so :shrug:. It sure doesn't look like cover is helping a lot in PP, given that even a full shield of cover doesn't seem to stop the auto-hit return fire in the video. Sure, they'll probably change this a bunch before release, but it was maybe not the best mechanic to demo in a barely-finished state. Like, it'd be the thing I'd add last with a toggle switch.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Fangz posted:

adding in mechanics at the last minute and making them optional sure is a way to make good games

making your bad ideas mandatory to people who pre-ordered on kickstarter is the best, i bet you could find a lot of posts in this thread about how great that turned out

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

SupSuper posted:

Edit: Making mechanics "optional" is what got us in the real-time/turn-based Apocalypse mess, please don't wish that on any developer. :ohdear:
I liked Apocalypse in both time modes, I think I might be the only one :smith:

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

DatonKallandor posted:

random forum screechers should design games
You seem lost. You're on an internet forum about game discussion. gently caress right off with this.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Q: So return fire is a speciality that will have to be acquired?
JG: Yes.

Enjoy the link if you want all kinds of good info on Phoenix Point:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PhoenixPoint/comments/6fpzoo/questions_and_answers_from_julian_during/

Oh, that is some good info, thanks. That whole link has great news that I wasn't expecting. Including a chance for underwater DLC.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Digirat posted:

You couldn't sell me a game that's supposed to be similar to XCOM any harder than by telling me there's no miss chances or other RNG bullshit. My favorite turn based game (and one of the only ones I liked for the gameplay itself) is advance wars days of ruin, due in no small part to the fact that virtually everything is deterministic. If you shoot a bomber with an AA unit you know what will happen, which includes the fact that you will suffer some return damage because that always happens, and this consistency in damage done and returned allows the devs to precision balance the game and dissuade cheesy strategies. How well you're doing at the end of your turn actually reflects how well you played, and not whether or not you were lucky. There's nothing I hate more than a dice roll deciding to sometimes punish me for making a strategically sound move.

Did you like Frozen Synapse?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Digirat posted:

I have not played it

If you like deterministic tactical games, it may be for you! I tried it and couldn't get it to work, and I've been hoping someone would tell me if the new Frozen Synapse Prime actually works.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Digirat posted:

I remember being interested in the concept when it came out, but feeling like it would probably be an extremely stressful game to actually play (against other people at least). Having to guess what the other player will do, then guess whether they've guessed that you've guessed it, and so on forever
I never tried it multiplayer, I got to assume that anyone who managed to beat singleplayer is well beyond me. Still, just trying and failing at it was a powerful enough experience that I'd really like to see a version that works.

Edit: As for second-guessing the other player's moves, I'd just assume that there's a way to play tactically by-the-book enough to win any situation irrespective of knowledge of the enemy. Like, slicing enough pies, covering enough angles, etc. etc.

Skyscraper fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 8, 2017

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Good Dumplings posted:

I finally looked up what the gently caress the thread title is about and you don't even get an emoji, you get a pledge for an emoji

legitimately made me laugh

Do you have a link? It's not in the OP.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Fangz posted:

In that post I was just referencing the thread title.

Yeah, that was how I read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Bruceski posted:

The thread title's been kicking around in various forms for a while, I think this one's from the Confederate Express debacle.
I don't think it is, I just looked up their kickstarter and it doesn't mention emoji rewards. I do have to say, I didn't catch that whole debacle the first time and oh boy is that an exciting can of worms to open. That's an amazing looking kickstarter, their pitch video is really good, and later they admitted abandoning their game to kickstart another before they got banned from kickstarter and were found to have been scamming an AirBnB also.

I had to physically restrain myself from throwing money at the screen when I saw that campaign page just now, I think I have a problem.