Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Fraud happens all the time, but on a smaller scale it's kind of hard to deal with since it happens so often and the amounts of money are usually small. Those smaller bullshit projects are the equivalent of those fake magazine subscription salesmen bilking random people out of $20 each. I don't think the Kickstarter model is going to see serious backlash until a fairly high-profile project fails to deliver. However, as everyone has noted, high-profile projects tend to have big names behind them or people wouldn't line up in droves to contribute. So really I think it's going to be quite awhile, if ever, before some sort of scandalous rip-off happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I'd say that Kickstarter is pretty un-"Republican" because Kickstarter is about getting around "Republicans," at least during the production phase of a good.

I feel pretty neutral about the Kick It Forward thing but people harassing Kickstarter projects for not participating is UNBELIEVABLY lovely and I hope that that bullshit dies out quick.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

LumberingTroll posted:

So im gearing up for our Kickstarter (Kinetic Void) and I've got a question, is it really necessary to have a video featuring members of the team? Do people really want to see my goony self on their computer? or would they rather see gameplay and art assets, with voice over from the members of the team?

I do kind of think that it's important to show your face. You are personally asking people for money and it feels more natural and personal if people can see the actual (goony) dudes making the proposal. Don't feel like you have to make a big video with acting like Fargo. Just introducing yourselves and then cutting into gameplay footage with a voiceover would be fine I think. Honestly if you don't have any real hams on the team I'd stick to mostly voiceovers after that.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

What a train wreck. Why is a digital release never good enough for the uber JRPG spergs anyway? God forbid that I don't have to scour eBay for one of the 20 copies that actually got printed anymore.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

mutata posted:

The word emotion does not automatically mean "sadness". Kickstarter is not a logic-based system, it's all about dreams and excitement and positive vibes and partying and such. Make people laugh or get excited or engage emotionally and then they donate. No one backs anything because it makes sense.

There's nothing logical about paying money for a video game that doesn't exist yet. Especially paying more than the game is worth! Why did I give Tim Schafer a hundred bucks?? Because he is the most exciting beardy dude ever.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Boiled Water posted:

Why didn't I give Tim Schafer 100 bucks? Because the rich bastard can fund his own games and doesn't need to beg.

I'd post those joke photos of Schafer shoving $100 bills up his nose or whatever but I'm on my phone so it'd be kind of difficult, so please just pretend I did.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

As I noted in the thread for this, they really need to let this go and then come up with something a little better realized. Just waving your arms and saying you like shmups and RPGs isn't really terribly convincing.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Urdnot Fire posted:

Knights in the Nightmare is another one, sort of.

If someone made Knights in the Nightmare but with most of the obscure pointless mechanics removed, they would definitely get my money. That game has a really cool core concept covered in too much needless complexity.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Kaboobi posted:

https://twitter.com/#!/JustinMcElroy/statuses/186328300069715969

"Got a press release for "EA Team Up" where you pay to "jumpstart" games that interest you. EA matches player funding. #GROSS"

dying laughing, can't breathe

I know it's April Fools and all but I really want to believe that something this hilariously sick could exist.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

He sells an app that plays recordings of him telling jokes? This guy overestimates his comedic abilities methinks.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

He must be excruciatingly awkward around women.

In related news, according to Wikipedia, he's an avid model railroader.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

So that Ron Paul game isn't a joke/parody? Intentionally, anyway?

Anyone who says they don't like that poster is a loving liar though.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I think the fact that there were so few details about the game probably helped more than hurt it. People were free to fantasize about whatever Tim-Schafer-flavored thing they wanted while throwing cash at him. It'll be interesting to see what sort of drama occurs as the game starts materializing and dreams start getting shattered.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Kickstarter is patronage, not charity. We are collectively a fat stuffy rich dude throwing money at video game Shakespeares and Da Vincis so they can make cool poo poo for us. Charity would be us giving money to Tim Schafer after DF closed down and he was on the streets.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Jesto posted:

Why does nearly every single Kickstarter say "Donate $ and you will get some really cool stuff in game that no one else who never donated during the Kickstarter process will ever be able to get"?

It really makes people who weren't aware your game existed until after the Kickstarter process not want to buy your game. :geno:

To help convince people to contribute for fear that they'll miss out? To encourage them to jump up a tier or two for a cool exclusive prize? To thank people for chipping in to help finish an unfinished project with an uncertain future? You'd have to be a pretty big baby to refuse to buy a game because people who contributed to the game before it even existed got a prize and you didn't.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Jesto posted:

I just think preorder bonuses and all things similar to them that grant exclusive in-game additions (assuming they're more than Boots of +1) that no one else can ever acquire are a pretty terrible idea all around. :) If they were sold as DLC for people who weren't aware the kickstarter existed once the game launched I wouldn't have a problem with them, though.

I think it would depend on the size and awesomeness of the addition. I agree that cutting off sections of the game or really useful fun items from non-backers would be lovely. As others said, that would be kind of a stupid thing to do. I think that cosmetic things would be mostly OK. WoW is full of mounts and now-useless weapons and items that you can't get anymore so that's pretty normal. Also I originally thought you were talking about the exclusive t-shirts and posters and things that some Kickstarters are giving out. I was imagining some dude getting all pouty because the Kickstarters got a cool tshirt that he can't buy. :v:

HondaCivet fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 9, 2012

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

This sounds nifty but I don't have an iPad or iPhone. I'm part of the problem I guess. :shobon:

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Interface Sounds : Funny Farts

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Rebel Blob posted:

So Mythic: The Story of Gods and Men, I guess it isn't really plagiarism, but they copied The Banner Saga's tiers and rewards almost word for word.

Yep, because people are only pumped for Banner Saga because of the rewards right? Surely if they copy those they'll do just as well! :downs:

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

It's like Jeff K (almost) learned how to type and is running a Kickstarter for his new game BETTAR TAHN BANAR SAGGA!!!11!!

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

If I did a Kickstarter video I'd start with an "Oh hi, didn't see you there!" and then a fake phone call and then a fake package and/or pizza delivery during the fake phone call. Then I'd have a fake crazy uncle show up unexpectedly! I'd make like a jillion bucks. :smug:

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

SupSuper posted:

You should see how they celebrate Christmas.

I didn't play the original Carmageddeon(s) or anything but I'm pretty sure that I'd like to play a game that's literally made by crazy people. I'm in!

I'm kicking in for Eisenwald too. The game looks nice but I think it's mostly because their video is adorable. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Trapezium Dave posted:

It's literally called Ukulele.

Honestly I think the most likely worst case scenario is they have to change the name.

Edit: Thinking it through, it really is just the name that's throwing me. I would be far too paranoid to run with a name as close as that.

Do you have some specific reason to think this? I just can't really see how two games having completely different stringed instruments in their names which don't sound alike at all would be a problem. Unless Microsoft trademarked all usage of musical instruments in video game titles?