Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

TOOT BOOT posted:

It seems logical to me that they'd want to try making a Minecraft clone. I'm sure they've spent some time thinking about what kind of game they would have liked Minecraft to have been.

This also has the added benefit of not putting more money in Notch's pocket every time they put out a new video.

It's odd they'd put themselves up as competent managers of this though, having never produced or designed games. And then to basically propose a clone game no less of Minecraft... seems like a waste of a project.

I love the Yogscast's Guild Wars 2 videos, and look forward to seeing them goof off in games I like. I just think with this they're exploiting an audience that don't know how hard it is to make a good game. It will end up being a novelty product with their avatars in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

NINbuntu 64 posted:

What's being proposed here is more everything Minecraft isn't, which is to say a way of providing things like adventure maps and adventure map content without having to fight some pretty severe game limitations.

And they're going to be better at providing complicated features like making totally user-friendly content creation tools that take lots of extra development time? (And magically erase all limitations that typically exist for a reason?) More power to them if they can do all that in the next few months for the low low price of $15 but I'm rightfully skeptical.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

Uncle Jam posted:

And remember Minecraft itself was a clone of a game at the start, Infiniminer, that Notch tweaked to his vision.

Well yeah, if by tweak you mean added an entire wiki worth of content and new gameplay stuff to.

I can't fault people for having trust in their icons but I could see this as one of the Kickstarters that will have big issues. I mean the closest analogy I can think of is the Penny Arcade games, which while having the charm of the series are clunky as hell. That "clunky as hell" part I wouldn't want attached to something people are supposed to be able to make content for.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

emoticon posted:

Even according to your explanation, it sounds like it will be minecraft but with adventure making tools on top? But if it isn't, I've yet to see a 3D game maker program that wasn't complete garbage (or a full-on licensed game engine), but maybe they'll be able to pull it off.

Yeah from a realistic standpoint it just sounds like too much to accomplish. And some of the backer comments are just sad:

"I am 13 and I pledged 500 I am pretty sure a lot of the yogscast viewers are not five and they can at least give a dollar for now after all the yogscast has done a lot for u guys and also when I am older I am definenty getting a computer before I get a TV."

Taking money from naive children. :(

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

snipermonkey posted:

I think it's the oversaturation of projects at the same time. Leading to people not having money to donate or when they do get the money, they probably forget the kickstarters they were mildly interested in.

For me the tough thing on a lot of these things is you're talking not getting anything solid for a year+ in return. It's going to burn more and more people out and I think better strategy going forward is going to be games that are ready for alpha access and look awesome to go to Kickstarter for their last development push.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

Saoshyant posted:

I guess if you aren't Tim Schafer the chances of getting an adventure game out of Kickstarter may not be huge.

Well he has Double Fine already staffed and full of talented people. All these "help me throw together my company as I go" Kickstarters are a much harder pitch to swallow, unfortunately.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

Wezlar posted:

I kinda want to pledge this but 15 dollars just to get the game, or 30 to get beta access and kickstarter goodies seems a little high when Binding of Isaac is 5 bucks and its expansion is 3.

Feel the same way. I love the silly horror stuff, and the game does seem (although early) like a potentially more nuanced type of Issac game. It's too bad $15 is just a bit high for me with the steam sale about to hit. I hope they make it.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Some people don't mind. I'd like to see projects involving people who continuously and publicly spout hatred to fail.

I don't know if it's fair to target Doug Tennapel's jerky personal views. I mean if you expect it to be a part of the product he makes, sure. But if not, why do we have to be all zero tolerance about a human being? Everyone's got flaws.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

Peas and Rice posted:

Apparently backing kickstarters entitles you to the final product at a discount these days.

It should definitely be expected. It goes back even to the alpha Minecraft and Mount & Blade days. If I'm going to take a leap of faith on some company to keep them going while they're in development, it should at least be an affordable one and not an attempt to sell me the game at retail price early.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

Irony.or.Death posted:

I don't want to come across as praising the approach here because I personally loving hate videos on the internet as a replacement for text, but if you cared to sift through the poo poo there was plenty of information about Massive Chalice available by the time the kickstarter ended. Brad personally answered the one question I had about it that I hadn't seen covered elsewhere.

It's subjective, but I felt it was a bizarre and uninformative pitch. They said stuff like "we liked that X-Com game" and did a live stream of them playing X-Com and laughing. I almost wondered if they had lost it... that's not how you pitch your own original idea. It felt like something that hasn't even gotten to the bar napkin stage of details.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

CapnAndy posted:

So apparently a fan group is trying to Kickstart a City of Heroes successor. There's... there's no way this can work, right?

This one strikes me as cyber begging. There's no actual developers on their team. No reason to trust them other than people are nostalgic for an old game. I'd have to say that funding anything like this isn't really a good idea. It could put a lot of scams into the KS system if successful.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

BenRGamer posted:

Eh, they do have some people with some experience, here's a post about this whole thing.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3489336&pagenumber=243#post420104285

Interesting. I wonder if they would name names and what their experience is then? He kinda didn't actually do that which is just one of those things professionals would probably do as a no brainer.

And to be fair I wouldn't be totally adverse to amateurs looking for funding on KS, but they've got to scale it to their level. An MMO? Anyone knowing something about the expensive and troubled development of those games is chuckling.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^
I'll never pre-order or crowdfund another Double Fine title. They're a bit of an immoral company at this point using the customers as the sheep for the fleecing, while they screw around and have hipster play time and get on a documentary. The games need to stop sucking.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

NmareBfly posted:

Yes?

Looks like a minority to me. This is also on the Act 2 page specifically, product as a whole has a much better looking distribution:

Also this is the one for PS4, which arguably carries less PC gamers being lovely idiots baggage -- I think they got the whole game in one go instead of it being split?

In all cases it does seem to be a minority giving the negative reviews.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/grim-fandango

This is what a game getting positive reviews looks like.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

Steve2911 posted:

Implying 73 is bad?

That's a C-, close to a D on a letter grade scale.

So yes, it means severe issues, maybe by some fluke it will be the ugly duckling you love but don't count on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

Maluco Marinero posted:

It's almost like scores are dumb and subjective to the point of being worthless

No offense but this is a Donald Trump-esque answer. Don't like the reality agreed upon by fair smart people? Call it dumb and worthless.