Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

psy_wombats posted:

Hi, I'm actually the programmer for Rainfall. I've been working on and off for about three months now on a couple tools and engine things to get the game off the ground. It's a good team and the kickstarter moving along is pretty inspirational. So yeah, I think I can say it's "in motion," haha. Glad to see the reception is pretty positive, though. We were a little worried at first about the goal, but it looks like we'll be able to make a great game if things continue the way they're going, so thanks for the continued support.

Just out of curiosity, what is the 6k going to pay for? It's not enough for some, much less multiple people to live on, and I'm guessing you'll be going for a low cost publishing method. I don't mean this in a begrudging or suspicious way, I'm just wondering.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

I would pledge immediately, just because Elite, but it's a pretty crappy Kickstarter thus far, honestly. He should have taken a cue from Star Citizen on how to make a great first impression.

Also, Elite: Dangerous is seriously one of the dumbest game names in recent memory and whoever came up with it should be ashamed of themselves.

Seriously, the Star Citizen kickstarter convinced me that they can at least make Freelancer 2, which is enough to get me excited. Anything on top of that is just bonus.

I'm amazed the premise: hey, remember elite? Is getting him any money.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I won't put money towards anything that's more than a few months away because I have no idea what my free time situation will be when it comes out. A $20 discount or whatever isn't a big deal to me so I don't have much motivation to drop money on something that may or may not happen a year from now. I kind of like the tabletop game kickstarters better than the videogame ones because they're much more often in a state of "the game is already completely designed and tested but we need money for publishing".

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Drifter posted:

:catstare:
Calling in old debts to fill a zero balance bank account in order to buy videogames just seems.... I'm laughing, but I feel kinda bad, too.

Paying $20 now for $50 game 2 years down the road is basically the goon equivalent of a retirement plan so I don't really see the problem here.

Pochoclo posted:

That is so obviously an Elder Scrolls rip-off I don't even know what to say.

I mean, world map clearly divided into distinct themed provinces? Check. The name of the (first) game is also the name of a province (yes I know the first ES game was "Arena" I'm talking about the others)? Check. Hell, they're even using the same sepia parchment map style.

The Elder scrolls is so generic I'm not sure if it's possible for something to actually be an Elder Scrolls ripoff.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 19, 2012

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I don't get the massive amounts of hate for Molyneux. I mean yeah, he generally promises more than he delivers but it's not like his games are Daikatana level disasters. They're often pretty fun if you ignore the hype train leading up to them.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

miguelito posted:

I was never in the Peter hate camp until this kickstarter.
22Cans may or may not be in the poo poo, but I refuse to believe that a guy who's sold two major british development studio and took several years of executive salary at MS can't get his own project funded.

You may or may not argue what KS should be about or not. But I'll have to say that this looks like a plainly cynical exploitation of a crowdfunding platform to me, by a guy who probably has the least need for it in the world.

I don't really see who's getting exploited here. The people who get in on the kickstarter are getting the product for less than they would if the game was funded by the publisher or the developer. I think the scenario of the project never being completed is just part of the risk/reward inherent to kickstarting any videogame project. Frankly, I have more confidence in an industry veteran to release a finished product in a playable state than some starving videogame artiste (not to denigrate them, there are a lot of good looking kickstarters from unknowns).

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

After looking at the indiegogo page I guess it's something like a jRPG crossed with Guess Who?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I could see myself doing it if I cared maybe twice as much about games as I do, and weren't such a tightwad. I'll get excited about some of these high tier rewards but then sit down and reason to myself that I wouldn't actually get what would be worth (to me) that much money. As it stands the highest I've given to a kickstarter is $45 for torment, and that's only because that tier included Wasteland 2. I'm not rich or anything, but I have no debt or dependents and gaming is my only remotely expensive hobby.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

TheMightyCheese posted:

A little indie roguelike-like sidescrolling platformer called Risk of Rain that I've been following for a while finally got their Kickstarter going.

They've already got a demo available, and backers get beta access at $25 and up. It's extremely fun and I highly encourage people to check it out, I know I personally have put a ton amount of time into already it between the alpha versions and the demo.

I put some money towards this because it looks right up my alley, but I think the kickstarter itself is kind of lousy. A minimum pledge of $10 for a 2 man indie roguelike? For another $35 after the $40 tier you get a concept art pdf and another copy of the $10 game? It looks like it's going to hit its goal pretty easily which makes me happy since the game itself is pretty cool.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

This game sounds pretty neat but I'm skeptical that they'll be able to live up to all of their claims http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nerdkingdom/tug-1?ref=live

I really have to wonder if there's the market for that Camelot game the developer thinks there is in this day and age. I think one of the major factors that hurt their funding was how far off the game is. I have no idea what kind of gaming time/interests I'll have two and a half years from now.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

That Lord of the Rings MMO has been F2P for thousands of years after being subscription for about a day, or something like that.

e: nevermind, its been f2p for about half it's life. As someone who has never had any interest in it, it seems like it was longer. According to wikipedia going F2P increased its revenue pretty substantially.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 3, 2013

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kepa posted:

I've actually been surprised to not see more "LIKE MINECRAFT, BUT BETTER" Kickstarters. I mean, think about the number of kickstarters or games in development that are "LIKE DWARF FORTRESS, BUT BETTER". It's about time people cashed in on vaguely promising a direct competitor.

Dwarf Fortress with actual graphics basically is Minecraft but better :colbert:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Niton posted:

That's a whole lot of confidence for me, let me tell you.

I think I'm going to wait for CumLordSixtynine420 to weigh in.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Megaspel posted:

I dunno, I think $10 for the full game is small enough to levy my fears of it not living up to expectations. Plus I've been emailing one the devs and they are really cool people.

That's about how I feel. I'm skeptical they'll deliver but it's a bet I'm willing to take at that price.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I can't believe there's been all this mention of good dinosaur tycoon games but not Dino Park Tycoon. Best edutainment the Mac-lab has to offer!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think this is like the 4th shooty platformer with randomly generated levels that I've backed. I guess the Borderlandsy looking gun generation drew me in.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/843950213/moon-rift

Looks like he has a good chance of reaching his 6k goal, but it's definitely not a sure thing at this point.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

xgalaxy posted:

Moon Rift looks interesting.

I pledged some money to this a few days back. Not sure if he'll meet his goal without a small surge of funding though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Kentucky Route Zero, Thirty Flights of Loving, Sequence and Cthulhu saves the World were all Kickstarted and are great.

I'm not sure of the quality of Strike Suit Zero, No time to explain, Ravaged and Organ Trail but I don't get the impression any of them were bad games and they too were all Kickstarted.

Strike Suit Zero got middling reviews. I liked it, but it seems like a lot of the people who backed it were expecting a Freelancer style game rather then a Freespace style game.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Isn't it also, to at least some extent, going to be a "pay to win" game, though? I mean, the whole "free to play, but $$ sure as hell gets you ahead" is a standard industry model now and everything, they gotta fund development somehow, sure -- but that probably explains part of why the average donation is so high. If you know you're going to play a game like this, are competitive, and have too much disposable income, why not lock in some long-term advantages now?

Well if they're trying to replicate the TCG experience in MMO form then pay to win is the way to go. The people who are plonking down a ton of money probably think they'd pay that much anyway so they might as well do it now when they're getting a lot more bang for their buck.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

fookolt posted:

So are people actually buying this in order to just sell it in the hopes of making a neat profit?

The prices make more sense if you think of it as a TCG and not a video game. I took a look at one of the MTG threads and saw someone say a competitive deck runs you something like $150-500. That sounds high to me but I haven't played in over a decade so what do I know.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I like Stonehearth because the guys making it look like Vin Diesel's nerdy little brothers.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Korak posted:

You really highlight what could be an unforeseen problem with Hex. In paper TCG games most people have a limited amount of people or knowledge to trade with other people. In game everyone will know of and most likely use the trading house. This could be a huuuuuge clusterfuck of inflated or deflated prices for cards.

I dunno, I checked some online MTG sites and it looks like there are thousands of cards selling for virtually nothing. I doubt it will be any worse than the MTG situation, at any rate.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

There is some validity to people complaining that they would have pledged as a Collector rather than as a Pro Player if they had known about this stretch goal. If the whining isn't that then it's pretty stupid, though.

They could just manage their pledge and change it collector or whatever if that's what has them chuffed. I know some people bought the pro player tier just to resell it at a markup later, and I'm sure the new stretch goal diminishes its resale value.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

People are going to love Massive Chalice until it zooms in and becomes a crappy 3rd person action game for important fights.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Francois Kofko posted:

The 'changed genre' complaint has happened in exactly one of double fine's games and that was more a problem with how the game was advertised???

:thejoke:

I personally think Chalice sounds cool and am looking forward to it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I really hope Brazen eventually becomes A Thing. In an industry where games are cloned and copied all the time, it's baffling how there are no Monster Hunter-like games out there. Can you imagine a Dungeons & Dragons Monster Hunter? Because I can. Can and have.

There are; Soul Sacrifice, God Eater Burst, Lords of Arcana and Ragnarok Odyssey off the top of my head. None of them really succeed in capturing the monster hunter feel though. They're also all Japanese. There was actually a kickstarter called Artizens awhile back that was supposed to be like a 2D monster hunter with user created content.

Dragon's Dogma is sort of Monster Hunterish and you can fight beholders, so there ya go.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

seorin posted:

A new metroidvania called Dark Matter just showed up, created by the guys who made Nuclear Dawn. It reminds me a lot of Shadow Complex, and I imagine it's going to hit a lot of the right buttons for people.

I can see why they put "dark" in the name, those screenshots give Doom 3 a run for its money.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Shalinor posted:

Did Our Darker Purpose hit in here yet?

Looks a bit like Binding of Isaac. Maybe too much like, can't decide. Regardless, looks competent / nifty.

I pledged to this because I, like, like roguelikes and roguelike-likes. I don't think its going to make it though. It's not outside the realm of possibility but I'd be surprised.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I'm glad Our Darker Purpose made it, it will be nice to play a binding of Isaac type game where the theme isn't "poop and abortions lol".

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RuBisCO posted:

Apologies beforehand because this thread is quite large.

I've been flip flopping on A Hat in Time at an insane rate for the last couple days, I really don't know if I want to back them.

On the plus side, the game looks ridiculously charming and adorable, and having not played a collectathon in years makes me interested.

But on the other hand, reading their kickstarter page, they're really riding hard on the "BRINGING MAGIC BACK TO GAMES" nonsense that I think is dumb. Plus I'm really reluctant on throwing money at a team I have no knowledge about. Also, glancing at a couple pages previously, the head is kind of an rear end in a top hat, or something?

I'm sorry if this has been talked about ad nauseam previously.

Well, it's going to be funded so you may as well just watch the development progress if you're on the fence.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Shalinor posted:

Looks like Dark Matter won't fund, which is a bit sad, though a lengthy backer email went out explaining what they're going to do. Looks like the plan is to polish up what they have as an "Episode 1", and release the game episodically instead.

EDIT: I'm a bit surprised it only made it to 6,000. Curious how much of that was their presentation, and how much of it was "wait, that's not a $".

Their splash image certainly didn't help... blurry as poo poo, looks like the worst sort of UE3 rough demo. Their Kickstarter page in general is lacking in the visually pop'y nice art department, even if their gameplay video looks perfectly competent.

I also wonder how much of it was down to the theme. "Space marine fighting aliens in dark corridors" is about as bland as you can get, and hardly something that only plucky indies could make happen. It looks very much like a low-budget Shadow Complex, and attempts to compete directly with that instead of going off in a new direction. Shadow Complex, meanwhile, had a budget of something like 2 or 3 million - and that was years ago.

When I looked at it I just saw how dark the screenshots looked and decided to pass. I'm not a fan of games where I have to squint or crank up the gamma. Mark of the Ninja is a good example of how to do a "dark" game while still being legible.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Motorgun, the semi-Twisted Metal/Interstate 76/AutoDuel auto-combat vehicular deathmatch game, has been cancelled after pancaking pretty hard in it's first 10 days.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1517270521/motorgun-return-of-the-auto-duel

Does this kind of game even have a real audience anymore? I'd imagine Call of Duty and the death of split screen multiplayer pretty much killed it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

I'm soulless when it comes to this sort of thing, I don't care about physical rewards or merchandise at all. It would just be more crap lying around the house that I would never even so much as look at.

This is how I feel too. It boggles my mind that people will shell out for busts of Duke Nukem and the like. I think the only physical reward that ever tempted me was the Cyberdwarf body pillow cover.

So what I'm saying is that you should add a body pillow to a reward tier.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

cmykjester posted:

Why do you guys think the Shantae Kickstarter is doing so lackluster? I mean I backed it today because of gigi, but it's weird to see it not quite meeting it's goal. Is it because Shantae simply isn't a very popular character, that weird backlash about the white skin, or possibly because the gameplay in the trailer doesn't look that exciting, Mighty No. 9 is going on at the same time? I just think it is weird.

As someone who hasn't played Shantae, which I imagine is a lot of people, I can't really tell why it's supposed to be better than any other cartoony platformer. No shortage of those.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Der Shovel posted:

I know you're just being snarky on the Internet but Final Fantasy 1 wasn't marketed on Steam with "Free content updates" for months after the dev had stopped working on the game (Terraria still is, but now it's true again because the dev is working on the PC version again).

It's not like all the free content updates went away after he stopped working on them.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Der Shovel posted:

Nobody who looks the game up on Steam is gonna look at "Free content updates" and think "Hmm, that must mean this game has been updated some time in the past!" rather than "Hmm, this game is still getting free updates". It was borderline false advertising.

You understand that we can say the guy handled the process poorly and STILL agree that most of his fans are massive tools who were complaining about stupid poo poo, right?

It says "free content updates". It comes with free content updates. If you bought a game that said "free expansion pack" on it would you expect to be getting an expansion pack in the future?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Tezzeract posted:

This kickstarter isn't live yet, but it looks pretty promising: Faeria which is a hex based card game with some very nice art.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1464350149/321606173?token=211781f6

I'm not sure how it'll compare with the current computer TCGs, but it looks like it has potential.

Looks cool, but I have a feeling people might be starting to get TCG fatigue.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Megazver posted:

So a bunch of TES modders want 500,000$ to make a Bethesda RPG, only better. From what I understand their mods are pretty good, but when it comes to this project they only have (pretty decent) concept art to show.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/594743529/unwritten-echoes-of-twilight

Somehow, just somehow, I don't think this will succeed.

They really need more of a game to show before anyone is going to give them much money for this, I imagine.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Megazver posted:

You can copy games really, really closely without the creators of the original being able to sue you.

I think everyone posting about this is trying to make the same point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

gently caress This Puzzle posted:

To be fair it's easily the worst name for a video game genre.

I'm pretty sure Roguelike has it beat. If they had kept calling them Dotalikes or Dota Clones maybe.